/jazz/

Why aren't there ever Jazz general threads on Sup Forums anymore?

What have you been listening to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tKmvg_hhBk0
youtube.com/watch?v=YluXzGtjCdU
youtube.com/watch?v=0TcSK6MYkpU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This

>Why aren't there ever Jazz general threads on Sup Forums anymore?
I think it's because all four of the posters on this board who knew enough about jazz to talk about it beyond just "it's good" or "it's shit" were smart enough to gtfo of this board

listened to moanin' again today. pretty good

Because all this threads just turn into "it's bad because it's le rockist jazz" or "it's bad because it's le pre-war jazz"

And so instead of helping to contribute to a thread that isn't like that you decided to make this post.

find myself going back to bruno pernadas' last year's albums, dunno why they stuck, must've been the la la land fever

jazz is dead black guy music turned old white guy music

fuck off it's shit either way

Ah fuck, you're right there actually, I just wanted to write my thoughts about the dying Jazz threads. I contribute now with pic related, it's what I'm currently listening and liking it a lot.

I'm here, though I'm far more knowledgeable when it comes to classical insteand of jazz but I do know enought to know whats quality

Rec me some quality albums then friend

Honestly anything Eric Dolphy, anything hes plays on as side man or leader. Ill give a better list oncw I get off work. Nut alsoornette Coleman's science fiction

what do people think about michael brecker? I always though he was like a smooth jazz type guy for some reason but this is actually really good

jim cornette?

what

/jazz/ the worst general on Sup Forums?

>muh shitty wank is so superior
>much shitty dead farts are better than THOSE shitty dead farts because they're more acclaimed
>disregard cover art like a fucking normie pleb and always shit on the idea of albums having good cover art
>actually dare to shit on people who value cover art
>home to some of the most cancerous memes and shitposting on Sup Forums
>avant-teens: the general

Fuck these goddamn nerds. They're worse than most Jazz "bros" because they've actually deluded themselves into thinking that their shitty music is any different from other Jazz and try to act pretentious about it.

Hell half of what they listen to is boring ass Jazz that anyone could make in 5 minutes with a dollar-store saxophone. Literally just Ryo Fukui except worse production and with shitter cover art.

But, fuck, what really grinds my gears is their absolute close-mindedness. /bleep/ threads have long since recognized Skrillex and Martin Garrix as the greatest EDM DJs of all time. /classical/ posters rank the highly acclaimed Max Richter over second-rate interpretators like Furtwangler. /metal/ posters recognize glam metal as the greatest achievement their genre has to offer. Jazz fans? If you DARE bring BBNG, Kamasi Washington, Flying Lotus or some other modern jazz artist to one of their threads, you get shit on. Because they don't follow the unwritten jazz """""""""""""standards""""""""""""" on what constitutes actual jazz music. And if you ask them to justify their opinion, they start spouting passive-aggressive buzzwords like the uneducated neckbeard virgins that they are. So sad!

I got a good laugh out of this. Not sure if that was your intention or not but have a (you) for all your hard work

He's one of the greatest post-60's tenor players. some of the stuff he recorded sounds dated now or is kind of questionable but most of the tenor sax players today are really influenced by his sound.

like rock ?

Wrong. jtg turned jazz threads into shit and wouldn't let anyone discuss jazz that wasn't free jazz or other pretentious noodling crap so people left

Literally none of the recent record had given high ratings to were free jazz. You guys are pissed because you listened to the equivalent of Nickleback of jazz then got called out for it but still act stubborn because you aren't as knowledgable with jazz as you're with rock.

I prefer Out There

Maybe ppl should stop starting /jazz/ threads with "why does no one talk about jazz?". Every time theres a new jazz threads thats the sentiment in the OP. The first couple of times, I was like "ikr, we need more jazz threads", now its super annoying. How are you suppose to get other /mutants interested in exploring jazz if the cultural sentiment behind it is "why is it der :(".

If you want a to talk about jazz, FUCKING TALK ABOUT JAZZ. Dont be like "hey, what r u favs, or wut u guys listening rn :p". That only works or is justified if theres a healthy community avidly discussing jazz in /mu which there isnt. Start a productive discussion or an attractive one. Make a bait thread or make a claim for ppl do argue and engage in conversation.

Here's my contribution: Ppl making bop or playing straightahead standards in 2017 like Marsalis are no better than people playimg buttrock or Beatles coverbands. More ppl should be like Davis' and not look at jazz like a secret club you have to master to join in. Play over Africa by Toto if you want to, like Davis' said. Even if i dont quite emjoy there stuff, Kamasi Washington and Thundercat are treating jazz in ways young people do and thats healthy and important for the culture.
Also, unrekatd but the Meldhau-Metheny Quartet tune, Towards the Light is legit the best shit i've heard in a long time. Really fresh.

It's because millennials don't find jazz woke enough. The mainstream media has them so wrapped up in blackness via rap marketing that they don't consider the black origins of jazz. It isn't """woke"""' enough for them, so they can't virtue signal how progressive they are.

fuck you and your poorly intonated cello noodlefest. out to lunch is infinitely superior, in compositions and performance

>poorly intonated
Look at this pleb. He still follows white traditional concepts of tuning. Kk uncle tom, you go play for the mistas. Dont forget ya dancin' shoes boi.

my favorite piano player is tiger ham

bump

I really like brad mehldau

any other pianists I should check out?

Fred Hersch

Look up the album Scenery by Ryo Fukui on youtube. Thank me later.

see

Fuck off with this memejazz

this. mehldau took lessons from fred hersch

also david kikoski

Been listening to Bill Evans lately. Also Time Out by Dave Brubeck, The Amazing Bud Powell Vol 2, and Ella and Louis by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Just going through the best of the Jazz age.

Just bought it on CD. You know where to get his other album files online?

Above comment. Forgot to tag you

Pat Metheny

That's the good shit
youtube.com/watch?v=tKmvg_hhBk0

Above 3 comments. Still new to Sup Forums.

So I've been getting into jazz guitar and jazz in general and really like Giant Steps because Coltrane changes make me hard. Are there any other albums that employ similarly "strange" (in quotes because it doesn't seem strange these days) music theory that isn't too outlandish (ie not getting into free jazz territory)?

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure

Miles Davis Second Quintet is literally the best thing in this world. You like Coltrane changes? Ha, prepare anus for Vonetta.

>/jasshole/: Brad Mehldau edition
I tried transcribing his version of Everything In Its Right Place on piano, goodness graciouss, he's doing some outlandish things with it.

modern jazz can have some really insane harmony
youtube.com/watch?v=YluXzGtjCdU

post it

It's not done yet, dude. Besides, I think I got some stuff wrong.

Disregard this post

check this album niggas
youtube.com/watch?v=0TcSK6MYkpU