How do I into jazz?

How do I into jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r25A3NraFOM
youtube.com/watch?v=10I3fzeTolU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only place where listening to the highest sold albums is a good idea. Try Headhunters and Kind of blue

Oh also Jazz is best live and mu consensus on jazz albums is always bad

It's fcking hard, I got into Jazz-Fusion easier somehow.

>somehow
There's no mystery about it, jazz fusion is the easiest entry point to jazz since it's literally a bridge between jazz and whatever normie shit you usually listen to

Jazz is pretty normie, at least cool and smooth jazz is

>implying jazz isn't normie

is that fucking loss

I hate all jazz except for bebop and hard bop

I'm not too into Jazz but I fucking love this one Japanese Jazz/Punk fusion band. If you're into fairly heavy, chaotic music it's right up your alley.
youtube.com/watch?v=r25A3NraFOM

Isn't TMR practically freeform Jazz?
Just listen to it until it sounds good

Same here, fuck modal

Indeed

Someone explain this meme to me

Chet Baker

Miles, Coltrane, the list could go on..........

wow it’s wild how special a brand of shit you get when Europeans try to discuss jazz while the Americans sleep

Depends where you're coming from, you can try to get into jazz by listening to Badbadnotgood and Snarky puppy for a start. A lot of people here recommend you very good albums but I wouldn't jump in the fire and listen to Kind of Blue and Charles Mingus etc it's too heavy imo. Try to find crossovers of jazz with the genre you most listen to and you'll get the hang of it.

>jazz is normie
^dont listen to these people who probably never got past Davis and Baker.

Start with fusion. I highly reccommend listening to someone like Ryo Fukui or some other soft jazz fusion record. Clever Girl's No Drum and Bass in the Jazz Room is also a good starter if you were ever into math rock or stuff like that. Sifting through Marcel the Drunkard's jazz records ubtil you fibd shit you like is also good.

pick up an instrument. Learn a little about theory and the appreciation pours out. If not, assuming you don't solely listen to verse-chorus BS, you should intuitively pick up on the mood of the piece and the emotion behind each performance. Don't be bogged down b the technicality.

I like The Rippingtons
youtube.com/watch?v=10I3fzeTolU

It's more math blues.

bebop>modal>cool>free>>>>>>>>>>>>>>spiritual

Jazz is kinda hard to find your niche in that the genre barriers aren't like in rock. But generally listening to records with a lot of impact on jazz as a whole such as Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers or Kind of Blue, figuring out whose sound you like, and working off from there.

Kind Of Blue I think is the jazz standard, try it.

play it

>Kind of Blue
>A Love Supreme
>Ming Ah Um
This is the GOAT triad and are required listening. If you like them, the jazz universe stretches far and wide with good shit. Some others I'd recommend
>The Creator Has a Master Plan
> Anthem (by Christian Scott)

It's from a comic a long while back. The idea is to secretly hide the layout of the comic into other images, the layout of the comic being a four panel deal, with one
VERTICAL AND VERTICAL
DASH in the top left, TWO DASH in the top right, then

VERT ICAL ONE
TWO DASH VERTICAL
DASH
ONE HORIZONTAL DASH

I formated that wrong, disregard it

Go to your local Starbucks and buy the most expensive Latte you can get and chill out to their Kenny G christmas album while posting on your Iphone.

i did not make this

Why do people like Billie Holiday so much? My local jazz station plays her stuff almost nonstop, but every song of hers sounds like a wobbly mess to me.

Ella Fitzgerald is better.

Miles Davis is a hack and wrong notes exist.

>The only place where listening to the highest sold albums is a good idea.

Not true. A lot of the best selling ones are cheesy smooth jazz and fusion that sounds like shit.

Shhhh, it's improv bro it's part of the art

user, I'm about to do you a huge favor. Just start here and explore. This is the absolute pinnacle.

Just skip to Nujabes and get back to Hip Hop, because real jazz is long gone now.

Or get stuck on old ever listened farts like Charlie Parker or Miles Davis.

Listen to the complete one, which features that and Waltz for Debby and additional stuff!

I mean, Brad Mehldau is still going, that ought to count for something.

You should try to find something that suits you, I always enjoy things like "The Quintet of the Hot Club of San Francisco". Especially Round Midnight. Babatunde Lea's The Bay Area's Afro is another great masterpiece.
I particularly love jazz that fits into a french cafe feel, where you just can relax, let yourself melt into the music and it soothes you completely.
There are so many flavors of jazz, you will find something that suits you if you look hard enough.
Don't give up, user.