Why do people try to intellectualize reggae - it's just music for stupid black people who couldn't give a shit about...

Why do people try to intellectualize reggae - it's just music for stupid black people who couldn't give a shit about anything outside of their comfort zone

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mXUVAZ4_0iQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DvlIZFNt92Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

3,000,000 replies

oops i meant niggers haha lol

What is punk?

started off simple but became the most intellectual genre as post-punk/shoegaze/post-hardcore/noise rock/post-rock and so on.

Word. I enjoy antifolk punk

post-reggae/dubgaze/post-dancehall/noise dub/post-ska

kinda wish dubgaze was a real thing to be honest

In all seriousness, why is reggae not discussed on Sup Forums?

Because "reggae" is incredibly broad. And because most people, including myself, hate the shitty singy twing twang guitar shite that is heavily associated with reggae music, I fucking hate Bob Marley, I really do.

There is so much variety to reggae, the very idea of grouping it all as one thing is just wrong.
youtube.com/watch?v=mXUVAZ4_0iQ

I'm a part of what some people call the "alt-right" and it feels punk as fuck. It feels like an actual counter culture, or rebellion against the PC culture that dominates American colleges.

it's weird cause when I think reggae these days I don't think the whole "420 peace and love bob marley" shit

i think dank dub soundsytems, soundclashes, hazy productions, and weighty bass

youtube.com/watch?v=DvlIZFNt92Q

is this how fantano drones speak?

All you're doing is giving them shit to legitimize their complaints. The only thing your shitposting does is add money to their pockets.

The fact that I said it, and so many of you are reacting with disgust like this proves that I'm right. The alt-right is punk as fuck. Enjoy being politically correct and offended by everything, and convincing yourselves that you're not a part of the mainstream culture :^)

Some of it is decent, Sly & Robbie, Toots and Mayhalls, Jimmy Cliff. But most of it just isn't that interesting and gets old fast.

It's not discussed on Sup Forums though because this board doesn't talk about any black-culture music like funk, soul, blues. We have Jazz threads but rarely go beyond Miles, Trane and Mingus.

>look, I'm self-victimizing
I nevre said shit about being disgustied by you, I said that you're virtually the only thing feeding the thing you claim to hate. It's nothing but intellectually dishonest self-righteousness and wanting to identify as part of a group. It's just like Gamergate, what the fuck did that do other than give SJW's attention and tons of money?

you're replying to pasta, you dumb fuck.

actually I take the dumb fuck part back, you seem like an OK guy. sorry man.

S'all good, man. I just think it's a pain to see two rather, and I don't mean this to be an insult, easily manipulated group of youngsters pitted against each other by talking heads who make millions on these largely fabricated nonsense issues.

>But most of it just isn't that interesting and gets old fast.
Like any genre of music. Good reggae is anything Lee Perry produced from the 70s, Black Uhuru, Peter Tosh, the whole 80s dancehall scene (and 90s to a certain extent) is just a goldmine if you can listen to music that's not focused on albums. And then there are many artists that got GOAT songs but not GOAT albums. That may be a problem here on Sup Forums.

you're replying to pasta but to be honest "intellectually dishonest self-righteousness and wanting to identify as part of a group" i couldn't put it any better myself

i dont watch fantano but yes probably

check out Adrian Sherwood's On-U releases (ie African Head Charge, Creation Rebel) - his labels stuff would be very Sup Forums approved if people checked it out.

some of the modern electronic influenced stuff is cool like Dubkasm and Radikal Guru

i do get what you mean, i know people (esp. white people lmao) who constantly lose their shit over ANY reggae song and it's like, how are you still maintaining this enthusiasm

Oh yeah what this guy said too - it can be a very song related genre (like dance music), i'd add The Congos, Burning Spear, Dadawah and Ras Michael & The Sons Of Negus to that list as well

Whoa whoa whoa! It's not a race issue - we love black-culture music, like Death Grips!

What you were saying was the truth, at least. Can't be said for most of the people who do reply to trolls.

reggae specifically dub gave rise to all massive 90's uk genres like jungle and big beat and trip-hop with it's next-level production techniques

anyway here's a ozymandias quote

i do think the soundsystem culture is a bit daft, like "killa soundboy fi me dead" it's like a metaphor for killing people but with music instead of guns, which i guess is better than actual killing, even though Jamaica seems to have a real problem with it still. either way, is it ingrained in their culture to be 'superior' and aggressive?

I mean when you think about it the whole "having the best sound" "having the best tunes", the fetish with the sound of the bass. I mean it's literally just stealing speakers and playing reggae/dub records on them - why is this part of reggae culture intellectualised? it's not rocket science, what happened to the musicians crafting songs from the heart or for fun? hell i mean dancehall riddims are used by about 10+ different toasters, isn't that just laziness?

don't get me wrong i love a nice soundclash and all but i think it has to be recognised it's a bit stupid at times too. people seem to think jamaicans are all fun-loving wonderful people and fetishise them but they're totally imperfect just like you and me. bless them though, the influence the whole scene has had on western music is unfathomable (except for metal but metal is white autistic music for massive dungeons and dragons nerds anyway haha)