RUSH

Does anyone like Rush? People tell me they suck but how?

Other urls found in this thread:

leavethatthingalone.libsyn.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

greatest ever

Rush is top tier. Start with Moving Pictures, then Signals, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres (in that order)

A very diverse discography with giant staying power till mid 90's. Always managed to stay true to themselves despite making few drastic changes in their style throughout their lifetime.
Some people will tell you they suck because
a) their early stuff is prog almost at its cheesiest
b) muh Ayn Rand
c) Geddy's voice is an acquired taste
but they are pretty cool. One of few bands that can show off and not come off as tasteless wank. Motion Pictures is a classic album

>implying cheese prog is a bad thing

Calling Rush prog is like calling Pink Floyd prog. It's not prog, it's fusion at the most. PF gets a pass since their psych stuff is incredible but Rush is just cock prog

It's not bad but I don't really care for it, my favorite albums from them are the poppier ones (MP and Grace Under Pressure, bit of a soft spot for Counterparts)

Rush don't suck, they're just not the end-all be-all band their diehards make them out to be. It's like with Zappa; there's a dichotomy of novelty and true talent, except Zappa was far smarter and more interesting in terms of songwriting. Rush has a lot of these big fat songs that have no subtlety to them, and even the thoughtful songs plunk and plod.

They are all very talented, I just wish Geddy would retire because his voice has changed so much due to age.

>Cygnus X-1 Book I & II
>2112
>A Farewell to Kings
>not prog
nice "opinion"

Neil has officially said he's retiring so your wish has come true in a way.

It's not but it's a common criticism of rush and prog rock in general

Red barchetta is the best rush song.

Not even the best song on the album

Most people who hate Rush haven't actually listened to much Rush. People have unjust hate for them because they have a very devoted following, bordering on a cult, and elements to them scare off people, such as Geddy Lee's sky high voice and cheesy sci-fi/philosophy song topics. People claim they are all flash and no substance when they are easily one of the most down to earth prog bands out there. When you get down to it each member is among the best at their respective instrument in all of rock music, have gone through multiple style changes and have never lost their identity, and overall have written some killer songs.

I hate Rush fans and love Rush music

YYZ is better off that album.

Fountain of Lamneth > 2112

that's a funny way of saying The Camera Eye

Fountain of Lamneth is definitely underrated, but it's really just a few songs stitched together, it's not a cohesive piece like 2112. If they had more experience putting together a prog suite Fountain of Lamneth could have been up there with the best.

everything here checks out, but I can barely make it through 2112 these days and I can always listen to Lamneth

this

Where's My Thing > La Villa >> Leave That Thing Alone >>>>>>>>>>> YYZed

(nothing after this counts btw)

their debut is god tier you absolute pleb also vapour trails isn't that bad

>It's not prog
>just cock prog
???

Also Rush isn't terrible, but I really only like their poppy 80s output, their 70s stuff just makes me want to go listen to straight hard rock/heavy psych bands

>Not liking Snakes and Arrows
but why

debut is a 3

I didn't feel like making any new mid rankings so the score's off, but it's roughly my opinion

Working Man, Finding My Way, Before & After, and Here Again are all great songs.

>going backwards
go die

OP, listen to their '75-'78 albums to get a taste of late classic prog with a hard rock edge (think Yes meets AC-DC), then their '80-'82 works for a catchy, radio-friendly take on neoprog (like a Twelfth Night with hooks and simple song structure). You can stop there. Nothing else they've done is worth the time.

addendum: grace under pressure is great, but it's their first non-prog album, and funny enough their last good pop rock album
seriously, they went down the shit slope with hold your fire and never recovered

Yea true. Best song of all time actually.

Serious though, why is Rush so underrated on Sup Forums? they're fucking great and they hardly have an album under 5/10.

I really like their instrumental parts, but Geddy Lee's voice sounds like a weird lady.

your lack of permanent waves is disturbing

Their run from '76 to '81 is near spotless imo. Gets a bit dodgy once you hit the mid 80s, but still good.

Wish I owned more of their stuff on vinyl.

i agree with this

Because they are not some garage band from central wisconsin. Too popular for mu to dig 'em

yall are too bipolar

I challenge anyone here to play the whole 2112 song start to finish on drums. good luck!!!

If you haven't heard this podcast, it's comedic gold.

leavethatthingalone.libsyn.com

alex lifeson sucks my clitty every night that's how

>muh Ayn Rand
I always noticed the similarities between 2112's concept and Anthem, but I never thought it was intended... is it?

Hemispheres is one of my favourite albums. They were my first concert ever.

The liner notes literally dedicated the album "to the genius of Ayn Rand"

Huh, well that makes complete sense.