Was 2017 the worst year for electronic albums so far?

>muh ambient
>muh footwork
>muh 'ASMR-inspired'
>muh noisy grime & PC Music crossover-inspired UK bass
>muh 'validate me'-tier gaycore experimentalism

praying the gods of music end these derivative crap trends come 2018, and we get another groundbreaking record on the scale of Immunity or Untrue.

even /bleep/ won over listening electronic this year.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UYsJ5PDlakM
youtube.com/watch?v=H6vP6ANSU-Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>was 2017 the worst year for electronic albums so far?
no

dont worry in 2018 there'll be someone rapping over autechre and it'll all be worth it

>Immunity
>Untrue
>groundbreaking
Lmao, I guess Microhouse wasn't a thing for way over a decade before Immunity and having garage beats with modified soul samples wasn't a thing before Untrue. Untrue's influential though I'll give it that.

Arca and Async were trash. New Jlin's great though it's a bit tough to get into because of its offputting atmosphere and focus on mostly percussion. Very creative as well because it uses the same few handfuls of sounds to create large collages of rhythmic interplay. Neo Wax Bloom is the electronic album I always wanted; too much minimalist structured stuff in electronic music, so Neo Wax Bloom adds chaotic complex structure along with a very colorful palette of sounds.

what the fuck why is everyone sleeping on my boi Siriusmo?
youtu.be/UYsJ5PDlakM

OPN produces Kanye’s new album or we riot

muh innovation muh genre muh how 'fresh' that album does is more important than what emotions it evokes

do you really think albums become known as groundbreaking because of what new production techniques they bring to the table? or is it because of how they make people feel? you write like you think it's the former and it's kind of embarrassing

What's with people on this board shitting on async? It's a great album, stop disrespecting King Sakamoto-sama please.

did you check out the yves tumor (pic related) album from this year?

idk if you'd dig it as it's pretty minimalist, but his use of samples and they way he embeds it in his sound is pretty interesting. check it if you have a spare 45, it's free.

The only reason those albums won any AOTY lists is because they're made by a faggot, a womyn of colour, a weeb and an ironic soyboy, respectively.

Identity trumps talent in this day and age, grandpa. Go back to the last century if you want music for the music content.

I know why people hate on the arca one, but Iglooghost is good

nah it's not, overproduced and badly mixed

i like iglooghost, but i feel like he hasn't adapted his sound for an LP format yet. his EPs and mixes are better, but that's to be expected for his first album. it's still solid, though
>badly mixed
i didn't think the mix was that bad when i listened to it, but it was a few weeks ago now. what made the mix so bad, to you?

>muh
>muh
>muh
>muh
>muh
how to tell someone isn't smart enough to express an actual opinion about anything

Vainio died this year so yeah

Lots of music is "generic". Get over it. Every idea has been heard. Music should be valued by substance, not progression and "originality". Maybe you will realize that after you stop being 16 years old.

Jlin and Iglooghost are great. Most other releases this year were shit.

maybe if you follow pitchfork regularly

That Jlin album sounds like a child who's playing around with her first Pad Controller. I swear, if you told me a 12yo made that album, I wouldn't question it for a second. The fact that it was so critically acclaimed is practically objective proof that white critics love to inflate their reviews for niggers and women.

>Jlin was great
Oh please, edify me on how the the fuck that album was even good, much less great. It's retarded music for retarded people.

it sounds good and is easy to dance to

Thought 2017 had some great stuff.

KANGZ!

I'm still finding stuff, this Ziur track that was on Errorsmith's boomkat list is great youtube.com/watch?v=H6vP6ANSU-Q

Wow, nice. The Errorsmith album was pretty great too.

I literally gave Untrue its props for being influential, but to say it's groundbreaking is fucking absurd. You guys need to stop getting your opinions from Pitchfork.
It's discogs page is bookmarked on my computer, meaning I was gonna check it out at some point, will actually do it now.
>not being able to discern rhythms beyond 4/4
>requiring muh conventional melody and muh harmony like an idiotic grandpa
Retards calling music whose detail they can't discern retarded. What a surprise.

>not being able to discern rhythms beyond 4/4
>not knowing most of her rhythms are 4/4
Thanks for proving my point, dumbfuck

>putting "muh" in front of things makes them bad

Or 6/8

Regardless, it's not even close to being complex

>muh "putting "muh" in front of things makes them bad"

But most of it is in 3/8. yeah there's a lot of 4/4 in there but it juxtaposes that with the 3/8
3/8 but I guess you wouldn't be smart enough to know why. Anyway I never said it was complicated, it's the different set of rhythms that interplay with each other at once that makes it an interesting listen.

>But most of it is in 3/8. yeah there's a lot of 4/4 in there but it juxtaposes that with the 3/8
Sorry, pal, it's 6/8.

>can't subdivide his weak/strong beats correctly
Hater BTFO

Her music is such a mess, you could technically count it as both.

>thank god I can resort to the fallacy fallacy in case someone points out I don't have any actual argument :^)

This chart right here. Anyone who says this year is bad for music isn't looking hard enough.