Its 10 best episodes are

Its 10 best episodes are . . .

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Gray_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Actually incredible episodes:
The Schizoid Man
The Neutral Zone
The Measure of a Man
Relics
Too Short a Season

Meme "best" episodes:
The Inner Light
Q Who
All Good Things
Yesterday's Enterprise
Le Best of Both Worlds

The episode where Wil Wheaton gets stabbed.

>No Darmok

Darmok and Jalad fought a common foe together at Tanagra, just as he and Dathon must fight the monsters on the planet they're stranded on. Dathon is killed, Picard is rescued, and the communications breakthrough is made. The aliens aren't necessarily friends... but they're not enemies either.

So look, here's the thing. This is just nonsense. It doesn't work. For an allusion to a story to communicate anything, both parties must know what the story is. And that means telling the story. It means verbs and nouns and adjectives and all the normal words.

It's a terrible episode, made all the more terrible by the fact that some people actually like it. They're objectively wrong.

>Shanghaied
>Band Geeks
>Wet Painters
>Graveyard Shift
>Dying for Pie
>Krab-Borg
>Krusty Krab Training Video
>The Frycook Games
>The Bully
>Survival of the Idiots

the top milestones to, say, fiction imo are

Pen Pals
Tin Man
The Survivors
Measure of a Man

best pulp includes

The Enemy
The Defector
The Most Toys

there's also a lot of good yarn, and some good court episodes

a lot of the idea episodes don't fill out an hour (Darmok), but oh well

There's a theory that all words are learned via metaphor to some extent. When I say "happy accident", you think of accident, which might recall a car accident, and you think of how that's bad, but you also see the irony in "happy" and remember that it's similar to a car accident but the opposite somehow.

>Hurr why isn't this episode of Star Trek completely hard sci-fi?
>I can't ignore minor shit like that and come up with my own theories like maybe the aliens can telepathically teach their children their people's history or something, because telepathy and psychic people wasn't a mainstay of TNG or anything
>Oh but tacheon particles reversing the warp-field flux regulator on the port-side nacelle makes tons of sense and really enriches the narrative.

Fucking idiot.

measure of a
M A N
A
N

I liked "I, Borg" a lot.

So wait. Does Troi canonically die within five years of the last episode?

In no particular order:
Measure of a Man
Chain of Command (1)
Chain of Command (2)
Darmok
Lower Decks
Tapestry
The First Duty
The Inner Light
The Drumhead
The Wounded

Canonically she's dead in an infinite number of alternate universes.

The thing I had a hard time getting over is the fact that they have to describe the analogies using nouns and verbs and shit. Now, I realize that's something they were stuck with, because it had to make sense to *us* and thus use our language, but it still made the whole thing seem ridiculous. It's like if you knew enough to be able to assemble a car on your own but then acted confused when somebody showed you a spark plug or master cylinder (when you obviously had to recognize and understand the function of the component parts to construct the car).

That was on BBC yesterday kek. They play like 20 episodes on loop constantly

I really liked that flashback episode with Riker. Grey something, end of season 2.

You really liked it.

>he is too autistic to appreciate one of the better TNG episode

I pity you

Maybe they only understand a sentence when it's loaded with imagery. You can divide a spark plug up too, and lose the reference to how the pieces fit together.

I don't really remember the episode, but it doesn't have a good reputation:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_Gray_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
>It was the only clip show filmed during the series and was created due to a lack of funds left over from other episodes during the season.

>"Shades of Gray" is widely regarded as the worst episode of the series, with critics calling it "god-awful" and a "travesty"; even Hurley [the episode's writer] referred to it negatively. It can be compared to "Spock's Brain" in The Original Series.

Apparently you have brain problems user

I like the idea, but just don't think it works well in that particular medium. You could maybe do a graphic novel involving images that the protagonist would attach significance to.

I've tried to rationalize it, but I can't quite get all the way there. I still appreciate what it's trying to do, but it ends up being a merely decent episode for me because mixed with the goodness is the flaw.

Best episodes are always contentious but what about the best overall season?

5... maybe 6?

It's 1.

I don't care what the meme opinion is.

It's season one, before it became a stupid soap opera for morons.

>I don't care what the meme opinion is.
Just because reasonable people agree on something doesn't mean it's a meme. Season 1 is just bad.

4 or 5

Four, five or six. Sesaon Seven had some great ones, but also some of the worst. Season Three was pretty good but never hit a lot of highs. One and Two had some great episodes but a lot of it was trash put out by scab writers earning a paycheck during a strike, and Gene throwing out his dumb ideas that never made it into TOS.

Your opinion is a meme.

>Measure of a Man

Also one of my favourites, perhaps this "TNG season 2 sucks" meme can finally die.

This reads like that harry potter dullest franchise pasta. I like it.

thr33

I watched the episode yesterday where Picard slams down a witch hunt of anti-Federation personnel aboard the enterprise after they found a Klingon spy on their ship.

Then immediately after that I watched the episode where Sisko reads Les Miz and then poisons an entire planet's atmosphere.

I love the fact that Sisko will pretty much do anything to get the job done, whereas Picard will never compromise his morality.

I'm going to watch that ENT episode where Archer steals ship parts next.

Haven x10.

>I love the fact that Sisko will pretty much do anything to get the job done, whereas Picard will never compromise his morality.
Sisko was pretty solid about his ethics, the only time he ever bends them is the conspiracy to bring the romulans in. He was just a master of the bluff.

You'd get more responses if you mentioned Star Trek. And I hate faggots that refer to everything as "this" on here.

How did you learn English? Your parents can't have told you what the words mean because you didn't speak English yet. It's preposterous.

Darmok is like reading a James Joyce novel. There is no punctuation, you've never lived in turn of the century Ireland so you have no frame of reference for the setting, and suddenly somebody is masturbating.

>Sisko was pretty solid about his ethics

Can you list any episodes that show this? One of the things I like about DS9 is that there are a lot of grey areas, and nobody is really 100% solid about anything. Except in Season 7 where they make Dukat full blown evil.

>and suddenly somebody is masturbating.

was this meant to add some humour to your analogy or does it actually have a reference in there somewhere where?

>the one with the flute
>Q episodes
>any episode where Wesley is told to shut up

Ulysses. There is a chapter where some girls are swimming and a dude starts jerking it on the beach while watching them.

Joyce was a weird dude. He also wrote an entire series of letters to his wife about how he is going to fuck her up the ass later and how he can tell her farts apart in a room full of farting women.

Are you sure you're not confusing ethics with idealism?

Pretty much the only time Sisko ever really did something he couldn't morally justify to himself was The Pale Moonlight; the rest of the time he just made hard choices. It also matters whether you're talking about Sisko's personal ethics or his professional Starfleet ethics, because he was pretty rock-solid on the former but violated the latter a lot.

Original Mommy-fu.

>and how he can tell her farts apart in a room full of farting women.
Joyce fucking loved farts. Didn't he die from a massive intestinal blockage as well?

>You'd get more responses if you mentioned Star Trek.
Stop encouraging the cancer general mindset that has killed trek threads over the last year.

>I'm going to watch that ENT episode where Archer steals ship parts next.
Dont forget the second or third episode in the expanse where he nearly spaces some asshole as an interrogation technique.

>no Lower Decks

I'm disappointed by your plebitude

Sup Forums contras hate on Q episodes only because VOY and later uses ruined Q.

>TNG season 2 sucks
I genuinely like the first season and a half of TNG. But you can't ignore how the writer's strike hurt the show, its why the season finale was a clip show, they ran out of phase 2 scripts to repurpose.

Can we all agree season 1 was really fucking weird?

>those aliens that almost took control of starfleet
>say they will be back later for revenge
>never mentioned ever again

Season 1 still had a lot of the TOS aspects in it. Namely that its as much a horror show set in space as it is a traditional sci fi show. And i think abandoning the invasion plot line was a decision from on high because it was too weird and unsettling and relied too much on continuity for a syndicated show.

I hated Q from the instant he first appeared. Wacky, ultra-powerful beings who don't have to obey the laws of physics are obnoxious and rarely lead to good storytelling. The things to watch out for in a TNG episode:

Does it prominently feature the holodeck?
Does it prominently feature Wesley Crusher?
Does it prominently feature Troi's mom?
Does it prominent feature Q?
Does it prominently feature Alexander?
Does it prominently feature Data's quest to understand emotions and more human?
Does it prominently feature Geordi having woman problems?

Oh man I forgot about that. What the fuck was Archer's problem?

I'm probably confusing all kinds of shit. The only philosophy class I ever took was I got high and watched End of Evangelion once.

>muh secret club in muh secret club

>What the fuck was Archer's problem?
Being completely cut off and on their own with a hopeless mission where failure was not an option.

Archer didn't have established directives and traditions to draw upon, they were flying by the seat of their pants and making it up as they went along. I like the fact that sometimes they stumbled and fell as opposed to the rest of the franchise where they always do the right thing.

>What the fuck was Archer's problem?

No problem at all. The mission was literally to save humanity from a race creating a planet-killer type weapon. If he didn't at the bare minimum do the stuff he was doing I'd say he's from a weak species that doesn't deserve to live (i.e. Swedish people).

I'll give you all those except for Troi's mom. She was actually pretty good in a couple, like the one where she was in love with the fat dude from MASH who had to kill himself, or the one where Troi finds out about her dead sister.

Archer did what he had to do; humanity was facing an existential threat.

>mfw star trek actually did a clip show

Try finding a TNG episode with as much emotional impact as picard comforting the dying alien guy at the campfire. I dare ya.

They've done several

I think this happens in our society it's just that its uses are limited. For example a Benedict Arnold is a traitor because we know who Benedict Arnold is. But there's only so much we can replace with it.

In no order:
>The Inner Light
>The Best of Both Worlds
>Who watches the Watchers
>The Wounded
>The Defector
>Family
>The Measure of a Man
>The Chain of Command
>Tapestry
>Darmok

I kinda feel like the mealworm aliens got reworked into the founders for DS9.

The DS9 conspiracy episodes with the founders infiltration were real similar to the Remmick conspiracy in execution. At least that's how I like to think that they reworked it.

Idk if the menagerie would count, but what other ones?

Frame of Mind
First Contact (not the film)
A Matter of Time
The Next Phase

>watching commie propaganda

What's so unfortunate about the "Conspiracy" storyline is that it's a great idea for Trek that was brought into the fold of a series at it's weakest time.

The way the show was produced in the first two seasons (especially the first) made the execution of the story come across as a bit cheesy and muddling into the margins of gorey shock stuff with the maggot eating admirals and the Remmick murder scene at the end.

Amazing that something like that was able to be aired back then (I think some stations or some countries blocked that murder scene).

In any event, they ended the episode with the backdrop of stars and the sounds of a subspace signal being sent off into space and then dropped it completely. Imagine had they brought that in at the end of season 2 then picked it back up after the Borg two parter.

What could've been..

Where was the source of "Magel" speaking of her husband as a communist?

I know the guy was accused of it for simple shit like bringing on a legitimate Russian Jew to play a Russian communist who made communist jokes but that's not enough for me to think Gene really thought it an appropriate end politically.

I love conspiracy just because of how bonkers it is. It's obvious they'd never done anything like that before and a lot of the bizarre execution is simultaneously funny and engaging.

TOS > VOY > DS9 > TNG > TAS > ENT > DIS

2>4>1>6>3>5

>Voyager
>Better than anything

Why do you like Voyager? Are you turned on by hot salamander sex?

the fact that the crew is in unexplored territory and Star fleet really has no protocols yet is something I like about ENT too. You always wonder why the prime directive exists and then you watch an episode of ENT and then it hits you why the Prime Directive is a thing. Or stuff like what species can humans create babies with. It feels a Star Trek series where they are actually explorers, and sometimes they fail which makes the episodes more interesting.

I agree that that episode was weak as hell.
People only like it because they don't know linguistics, the alien was designed to be "cute", and every "authority" they like calls it a good episode.

If the alien language consisted entirely of using literary references (nevermind how they got literature without language), then it would be possible for Federation scientists to eventually decipher their language, given enough samples of it. They seem to use nouns and verbs, just not clearly referring to anything specific.
If the aliens wanted to communicate as much as Starfleet, then they would have figured out how to make generalised verbs, and would have been able to resort to pictorial reference (which Starfleet should have tried earlier too).

Autism speaks.

Hi. Voyagerm here.
You see, what ' you people ' don't fully understand is that it's just fine to like Voyager. In fact, I find that a lot of people like Voyager because of the character dynamics, or because it has a similar feel to TNG but a different look, or the fact that it has incredibly engaging and one-of-a-kind episodes like Year of Hell, Timeless, Eye of the Needle, Mortal Coil, and many more.
I find that too many Trekkies hate it simply because it's the popular thing to do, but when you discuss the series with them in a calm, unbiased manner, you are easily able to coax out of them their liking of the show and it's many unique qualities.
The main argument I see for disliking Voyager is Threshold. There are plenty of other arguments one might not like it, but I can tell you that Threshold was actually two episodes: one half novel and entertaining - the other half illogical and universe defying.
Imagine if I boiled down my dislike of TNG down to Sub - Rosa, or my unease of DS9 to Playing God or Move Along Home (which is actually an amusing and fun romp). Imagine that.

But at the end of the day, it's still 100% Trek. It has all the elements, it almost always follows the guidelines of the canon, or at bare minimum doesn't break canon anymore than DS9 or TNG did. And in instances like ENT, you see a series so bogged down in it's own lore that at times you can tell why it never reached the 7 season mark.

That's my say, but remember, wherever a Trek thread should pop up, a crafty, life-affirming Voyagerm will swoop in and you'll never even know it until it's too late.

I don't dislike Darmok nor do I think it's all that great. What I'd say is it is a GOOD episode. Almost very good, but for Trek fans, the tendency to meticulously go back over episodes is where it sort of falls apart.
But most will tell you after first watch that they really enjoyed it.

Picard's extreme attempts to break a communicative wall; this is like at the heart of "Trek". You're out in the wilderness and come upon a tribe and you are able to conduct a very difficult exchange until finally the a-ha moment hits and you now understand each other at some base level.
Literally the "SOKOTH, HIS EYES UNCOVERED!" moment is one of the most rewarding parts of the series and Trek in general. It's only problematic in that we see such a language isn't really possible in full. Only in part would a language as such be possible and if rather cumbersome and bulky.

Unfortunately, it's another one of those instances of people finding trouble just liking it a little or disliking it a little. When it comes to the good, the bad and the ugly episodes, you better pick one of the polar opposites or the conventionites and madmen will scorn you.

all the lwaxana episodes except that one, you know the one.

Very well put, user.

This took me a while because prime-time Sup Forums is very drawl..

1. Best of Both Worlds, Part 1
2. Inner Light
3. Chain of Command, Part 2
4. The Wounded
5. Thine Own Self
6. Cause and Effect
7. Redemption
8. Q Who
9. All Good Things
10. Allegiance

Please like and subscribe and comment below.

>Haven x10.
Good post.

There really should be a webm of data's reaction during this scene.

>The Measure of a Man
This episode is actually comically bad and awkward to watch.

Writer's strike.

They used the finished scripts they had in the can, then they found some unused scripts from TOS. Then they just said fuck it and made a clipshow for the season finale.

This is a really comfy explanation. I've only watched like four episodes of Voyager and I haven't even been watching it in order because I want to get the best of the worst (Tuvix, Threshold, That One Where a Hawk Talks to Chakotay and He's Naked for a Hot Second) out of the way before I actually start the series. I'll watch the first episode tonight and make my own judgements.

One of the big reasons I love DS9 is character interactions, so if how the crew interacts is as good as you say it is, I'm looking forward to it. From what I've seen Tom Paris seems pretty great.

Reminder that "The Inner Light" is barely a TNG episode.

It features hardly any of the principal cast except in the wrap-arounds, presents no moral challenge or lesson, and aside from the flute he played like twice since, and didn't effect Picard one iota.

>No Yesterday's Enterprise

Fuck off Remmick.

>no Ensigns of Command listed

>tfw the other Trek thread is more active, but you still post in this one anyway because it's more comfy and chill

Why are Trek threads in Sup Forums so great?

There's a pretty good balance between legitimate discussion and entertaining shitposts. This cannot be said for a lot of threads that get similar post counts.

Reasons why Season 3 was the best of the best from Star Trek: The Next Generation...
-It contained the most amount of 'compelling' episodes for any single season by number.

i. Those episodes: Ensigns of Command, The Most Toys, Best of Both Worlds, Who Watches The Watchers, The Survivors, The Enemy, The Defector, Tin Man, Hollow Pursuits, The Offspring, Allegiance, Sarek, Déjà Q, and Yesterday's Enterprise.

- It single-handedly saved the franchise from post-Gene/post-writer's strike ruin by upgrading the sound production, the sets and uniforms, the visual effects, and started to invite hints of interpersonal conflict amongst the TNG characters.

-They hired younger writers and even opened mail up for original stories from just about anyone. The stories were much more relevant to the universe they were trying to create and in some ways build upon from TOS. This opened up more ideas across the board for the show.

It was the landmark season upon which the rest of Star Trek would build upon and it ended with the most memorable of all cliffhangers in cable television in ' Best of the Both Worlds'.

I really don't know how you can say it was 4, 5, 6 when taking into account all of those factors.

Granted, though, the only other season that could come close and not sound wrong would be five. Five was filled with at least half entertaining episodes.

The river Temarc in winter, mang.

That other thread is ensconced in complete multi-post linking, more than 5 people all arguing at once about communism.

I'll remain here in the briar patch.

They're in the badlands right now.