Enemy

What the fuck were the spiders about?

Women

Metaphors for women.

fear ...of women

Aliens

fear of intimacy basically but also women.

stds from women

metaphors about his fear of arachnids
classic villeneuve, very subtle
BRAVO

Don't get married

Infidelity

Fear of commitment to women

arachnophobia

Women.

>what do spiders do?

Catch things in nets and drain them of their life

>what did the duality of the main character obviously struggle with?

Settling down and being faithful to his pregnant wife

>what did he enjoy in secret and hidden from society?

Watching spiders get crushed

Jeez i wonder

I remember when i first watched this movie, the scientist or analyst in me back then tried to pick apart this scene, particularly its realism. I hated how I did that then, i hate how i would do it now. This scene works for me on an artistic level, because of the emotions it inspires through direction and cinema. The last minute of this scene was done almost to perfection in my view in how it expresses a man's discovery, rediscovery or recovery of freedom. It works in large measure because of what we know of Adam and his story, the harsh, brutal, almost sadistic reality of working as a teacher, particularly how corrupt and inhumanity the working conditions must have been. Knowing that, this scene then becomes one of the most uplifting and perhaps triumphant in movie history.

you forget the part when female spiders kills and devours the male spider that impregnates her

Why is the spider scared of him in the final scene?

He figured out what all this pussygame is about.

I was mirin his beard in that movie tho, top notch.

its a metafor

What weren't they about OP

BASICALLY WOMEN, OP

THEYRE SPIDERS THAT WANT TO TRAP YOU IN THEIR WEB OF COMMITMENT, USING PREGNANCY AND KIDS TO TIE YOU DOWN

why is everything so yellow tho

YELLOW FILTER = A R T

Me and my brother argued about the first scene. He says it takes place after all the events in the movie and its the show he goes too from the card he recieved in the end.
My artuement is that they talk about a previous time at that club so why couldnt that scene precede the events of the movie... but now im confused.
Which is it?

This movie has the two most beautiful women on the planet

for sure

no you tard.

The yellow wash over the whole movie is intended to give off the feeling of nauseousness and discomfort, unease of your surroundings. It's to give atmospheric feelings to you as the main character also feels.

That's black widows specifically, the way the spider reacts at the end does the whole "more afraid of it than you are of them." thing.

cucked by a spider

Her pregnant was the sexiest thing on the planet

beat me to it! should've refreshed!

It's an allegory for Commitmentphobia. Love is synonymous with demanding total compromise from him for liberal women and he knows that means less novelty/fun so he's hesitant.

That is how it feels to be in Mississauga.

goddamnit again

>THEYRE SPIDERS THAT WANT TO TRAP YOU IN THEIR WEB OF COMMITMENT, USING PREGNANCY AND KIDS TO TIE YOU DOWN

Although I agree that this is what they represent in the movie, it is fucking juvenile. The mc looks like an overgrown baby.

women and infidelity

VOMITINGFRATBRO.GIF

Nigga, you gay.

Keep'em coming!

>mfw Arrival had the same exact shot

>yfw

Helen was best girl

are you saying she's full of spiders?

She's a really good actor. I hope she gets better work than what she's getting now.

The director calls the movie a spiral, don't think of it as a fully literal timeline but rather a metaphorical loop~ any progress that he makes doesn't matter, he will always return to these feelings of being trapped by women and needing to escape.

The buildings are phallic symbols kind of like Trump tower

ahhhhh

It's kind of one-layer above just this

The movie is using particular spider over a city for a reason.
It's a reference to Louise Bourgeois ('Maman' sculpture) and it's her symbolism that is used in the movie.

In her works, spider is a mother in particular, not just any woman. And in a context it's not a strictly negative imagery, just an amalgamation of maternity and how it gets ugly in an abusive and unfaithful relationship (from a paternal side).

That's literally the entire point of the movie

THE BIG SPIDER OVER THE CITY IS HIS 'MAMAN' AKA MOTHER IN FRENCH, BOURGEOIS BEING FRENCH AND VILLENEUVE BEING QUEBECOIS

HE CANT GET AWAY FROM THE DAMN WOMYN TO THE POINT OF SPLITTING HIS PERSONALITY TO ESCAPE