How is this album so good?

i'm unashamedly a dad rock fan, but this album is fucking god tier. it's better than almost every other album ever released. no other hip hop album comes within a whole galaxy of this album

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i1yPJeTJK00
youtube.com/watch?v=gu9_PfnQOPo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>no other hip hop album comes within a whole galaxy of this album
so you heard, like, what 10-15 rap albums? don't be goofy. this is a classic album but there's LOTS of classic rap albums. this one just happens to be accepted by white people more and gets around more.

Ahhh I remember when I started listening to "real" Rap. You'll grow out of it

i've listened to all the other classic albums and new stuff like kendrick lamer

illmatic is untouchable

As far as hip hop goes, it's incredible. However, like any other classic rap album, I'm much less inclined to attach the "genius" label to it after reading the lyrics on paper.

The bar is set very low for hip hop, so anything above mildly retarded seems amazing.

>all the other classic albums
there is no such definitive list.

Theres a obvious canon that almost anyone can list

It is good.
but not after repeated listens in a short time span

so you say, but the majority of rap albums i consider classics never fall on these lists because like this site people lazily regurgitate and were not alive when the music was new so know very little

Don't lose track of what he's saying.
Don't read the lyrics.

share some of them with Sup Forums then

post about them plenty and those threads go ignored because people here don't know them, all anyone does is regurgitate the same handful over and over and seems very content to do so for years

Listen to it at night. I'm talking around 8 or 9 p.m. 2000 or 2100. On a bus or just walking around. Look at the streetlights as you do. It helps if it is pretty chilly out, and if you have had your heart broken a month or so ago.

well I'm still here
just list like 5 and I'll check them out

Not user, but here are a few...

Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Gza - Liquid Swords
BIG - Ready to die
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Madvillain - Madvillainy

damn dude, THOSE ARE POSTED HERE EVERY DAMN DAY

Well, you asked for examples of the canon... and you got it.

One of the best (and my all-time favorite) is rarely mentioned: Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep.

this, I hope other user didn't mean albums like this honestly

these are pretty canon albums indeed but what I asked for was other user's "obscure" albums that he said people don't know about

What the fuck do you think he meant by "canon", dumbass. Those albums would be on literally every single top 50 list.

I rarely see Common's early albums mentioned--One Day it'll all Make Sense and Like Water for Chocolate are great albums.

but he said that no one knows or talks about those albums here, even though they are constantly talked about here

Oh, I missed that part.

Oooo, you meant the CONTRARIAN canon. Gotcha.

No, I don't think you know what "canon" means.

dick, i never said canon. and these are classic albums often ignored that are full of brilliant ideas, sounds, lyrics. nothing contrarian about these, though i am sure such types of albums exist that you're referring to but these are not

what the fuck is this album cover
insane

This wasn't you?

I've never seen a good post that had the word "contrarian" in it, and you're not bucking the trend. This word is an admittance that people like things you don't like / don't know only to be different and for the sake of it. How narcissistic can you be?

no i don't use words like canon about music.

if you have 200 illmatic posts a month, you should have 200 of these.

Listen to this op, you'll love it

Then you don't understand the context, son

Canon = of the highest quality = albums that set the standard by which all others are measured by. And in no fucking way are any of those albums of the absolute highest quality.

Why you lyin?

id' argue with you except i need people i argue with to be smarter. not worth the time.

This is the attitude that ensures that the canon will never change and always consist of the same things.

also the point was he was asking for music that ISN'T canon, like albums not discussed as much that are also classics.

Yeah, it's probably best you stop posting.

keep in mind nas wrote this when he was 18-19 years old. its a miracle that will never happen again

yeah when i read that it was good on pitchfork I try to listen to it, but i couldn't get past how shit the sound production is. Maybe it was too impenetrable for my few listens. It is often the music I think is the worst when i first hear it that ends up being my favourite after i get it...

>when i read that it was good on pitchfork

Albums are added from time to time, but they should be very few and far between...

Jay Z - Black Album
Kanye - MBDTF
One of Kendrick Lamar's, I suppose.

read the thread and make an effort or fuck the fucking fuck off

Problem is, anons are talking past each other. The whole thing was started by someone who said that there wasn't a "definitive list" of classic albums. Then an user said , to which user responded .

The fact is, there IS a definitive list. There may be albums that wouldn't be on most lists of major albums that people consider classics, but those are usually middle-to-bottom-tier albums like

that's what we do on mu

i'd like to see the consistent, definitive 'everyone agrees' list because it doesn't exist. there will always be differences. and certainly if such a list exists, something like public enemy will be above nas. we're not trying to discredit that list here, the point was giving recs to one user wanting some lesser-known "classics" (whatever that may mean) that aren't discussed here endlessly (hello, illmatic)

hence why you need some new rap recs

>i'd like to see the consistent, definitive 'everyone agrees' list
There would certainly be disputes in the order, but the vast majority of people who know about the genre wouldn't have a difficult time agreeing on a top 50, give or take a few.

sure man, that's why you can never come to any agreement whatsoever on this board when the threads come up

The "canon" is usually unanimously agreed upon. But this is a board full of underage know-nothings, fedora contrarians, and morons who read pitchfork and listen to YouTube critics. And, as we're all well aware, people like to argue on the internet; it just comes with the territory.

Anyway, I'd hardly consider Sup Forums an authority on anything.

dubs of truth

dickhead, the albums we are attempting to talk about here aren't agree-upon pitchfork slop like you want to keep talking about. we're specifically after the stuff less-discussed. how's your reading comprehension?

Just want toilet everyone know, I read through the entirety of this thread and all 14 of you are retarded. This was legitemently one of the worse threads I've ever had the displeasure of reading on this site or any other. You should all feel bad for your participation, and yes thag does include me

t. soy boy

This one is amazing, but I'm also partial to It Was Written and Doe or Die. In fact, people sleep on AZ way, WAY too much. He is legit a top 10 rapper dead or alive and I don't see him get nearly as much props as he deserves.

And from what I've seen, if you were to pick an album rated as "greatest of all time for Hip Hop" from people who know 80s/90s rap onwards, Illmatic will probably appear more than any other, except maybe for Reasonable Doubt.

>pitchfork slop
Which album, specifically, would you consider Pitchfork slop?

>we are attempting to talk about
>we
Seems like you're the only one talking about that, son.

> falling for the antijerk meme

kek

oh please no non-canon you contrarian, not on my precious board

>thread about underrated rap albums
>no mention of OutKast
this board is full of plebs

In terms of influence how does AZ even compare to Nas though?

outkast has such a terrible sounding flow. it literally sounds like choppy eminem. That being said, the album may have shit flow, nothing sounded like outkast when that came out.

that's not canon

AZ's style of rapping actually influenced a good amount of people (we all know the Em story, for example), but he always laid low, so yeah, that's the main thing that puts him down. As far as things inside the music go, he is a true master and influencer. Outside of that, he is just too damn chill. And fuck, he embraces that side, always mentions so on his lyrics, his record label is literally called "Quiet Money". Nas, on the other hand, even being comparatively quiet compared to lots of rappers, had the Jigga beef, that little Pac beef, so yeah. Not to mention Illmatic certainly had a bigger influence than Doe or Die.

Aquemini is some good shit, I'll give you that.

>i dont know what stressed/unstressed syllables are
you probably should stop posting in rap threads

Anons asked for albums that are rarely mentioned but could be considered classics in their own right. I'd rank that one above most of the other shit itt.

I know what they are they just sound shit. How is it not choppy like eminem?

i know, i was making a joke in reference to another user complaining about "canon" albums. this thread is a mess

Yeah, that was me, faggot lol. I decided to oblige your fucking ass.

This thread really is a mess.

How is this thread with so many replies already?

Lots of genius movies look awful if you read the script. If you divorce anything from the way it's meant to be delivered, it's going to look significantly worse.

can you explain the appeal of the garbage flow to me? I get technicaly it is complicated but surely you don't actually like how it sounds? Would you not rather listen to a smooth sounding flow from someone like Nas or Biggie? Or even a simplistic flow from someone like slug?

Wait till you get to memphis rap you sissy

>Lots of genius movies look awful if you read the script
Such as? I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The music is obviously essential in elevating the lyrics, but it doesn't change the fact that the lyrics are often knuckle-dragging. Even Slam Poetry is for retards.

dude, you ain't even worth arguing with

And what genre of music isn't like that? From rock and metal to country to rap to anything else, it's the very same thing. And even then, if you think "NY State of Mind" has shit lyrics, then I imagine what kind of pretentious shit would be considered "good lyrics"

youtube.com/watch?v=i1yPJeTJK00

suck on this
youtube.com/watch?v=gu9_PfnQOPo

You're talking about Andre3000, literally one of the GOATs of rap. The flow intentionally alternates stressed syllables so it sounds like it's going back and forth. remember iambic pentameter from poetry? pretty much the same thing

Also you're leaving out his partner Big Boi, who's also very good and has a different flow

Seriously tho, I'd love to know which genius movies you think would look awful on paper.

>rock
Yep, most of it is lyrically cringey

>country
With the exception of a few (Cash, Williams), this is basically rap music for white trash.

>metal
I certainly wouldn't argue with that. Metal is dumb music too. It's fun, but it definitely should not be taken seriously.

genius movie awful on paper = 2001: a space odyssey

>implying I've never heard this
I actually used to be a huge Hip Hop fan (still love some of it), but I think it's annoying when people talk about it like it's high brow.

Gang Starr's moment of truth is one of my all-times

just usin it as an example of good lyrics, let's not pretend there are no rap albums with good lyrics

2001 would be, what, 4 pages of dialogue? The entire screenplay for that film is much more relevant than the the dialogue.

ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer

Okay, what genre is known for its amazing, nobel-worthy (or the literary equivalent) lyrics? Since this is all subjective, the discussion ain't going anywhere, but I can tell you you're being way, WAY too elitist and pretentious for what you consider "good lyrics" (and this comes from a person that doesn't listen to more than 10 rappers because I care deeply about lyricism among other things. Nas' Illmatic is an example, front to back, of good lyricism, which is one of the reasons it's so well-regarded.

I'm just saying it's very relative. Relative to Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan, they seem utterly childish. I mean, I could pull the whole diplomatic "it's just different, maaaan", but I'm pretty comfortable with saying that the vast majority of classic rap lyrics are kinda dumb.

That said, I do live Gang Starrs lyrics and flow.

and i stand by this and only listen to well-regarded music

>make a stupid statement
>can't back it up
>calls the question stupid
Lol ok, m80

>vagina
>poop
>hard-on

>Okay, what genre is known for its amazing, nobel-worthy (or the literary equivalent) lyrics?
>nobel-worthy
Fuck off

I already named a couple (Dylan and Cohen), but I'll list a few more: Scott Walker, Nick Drake, Bjork has her moments, and more recently I'd have to list Richard Dawson as a top-tier lyricists.

There are loads of lyricists I'd consider very good, but the top-tier ones are very few and far between. But even a middle-tier lyricist like Bonnie Prince Billy makes Jay Z seem like he has Down Syndrome.

>middle-tier