Daisy Ridley is confused about The Force Awakens

>When asked if she was eager to get the secret of Rey’s backstory off her chest, Daisy Ridley revealed that she believed The Force Awakens already provided plenty of answers:

>“I thought a lot was answered in The Force Awakens. Then after the screening I went for a drink with my agent and everyone, and we were chatting away and I realized that oh, in their minds it’s not answered at all!”

JUST

eastcoastmovieguys.com/movie-news-and-rumors/2016/12/6/nciwctoq6bms47rv0j494km54yq2qc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jz3oSYB5XB4
youtube.com/watch?v=qB3G2hkn278
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is she retarded? So this means the most obvious clues are true? She's Not-Revan Not-Bastilla from Luke's Academy?

I had my hopes that she would be a child offspring of Sheev or Anakin reincarnated but looks like that isn't the cast anymore...

well looks like she is then someone from Luke's Academy if she is dropped off on Jakku via Luke's ship maybe?

Or is it Kylo Ren's ship because I have seen 2 images where one source says it is Luke's ship or Kylo's ship.

How can she think this? All we know is that Rey was dropped off on planet desert when she was a kid

They explain literally nothing else (like how she survived as a young child)

Ridley said that she would love to see audiences reactions when the answers are made clear, but also warned that more questions will come from the revelation.

“I’d love to see the look on people’s faces, but with answers come more questions, and there’s definitely going to be enough to keep people going for another two years!”

>2 years
fuck you

You are trying to make sense of an actress who doesn't understand why people call her a Mary Sue.

Is Daisy's mind all there?
youtube.com/watch?v=jz3oSYB5XB4

This person clearly has no interest or knowledge of Star Wars and has no clue about the story she is in.
That's the writer/director's fault for having no clear vision of what's happening.

This. As a director you are not meant to just say "stand here and act angry or happy or sad" you are meant to tell the actor their whole backstory and their motivations so they can properly act out the scene.

Well we all know Daisy's acting was very wooden and didn't always suit the scene as webm shows.

Not Daisy's fault but JJ for not directing her properly.

I hated the backlash to people calling her a Mary Sue

She was literally one. She "bypassed the [character development]"

For the record, she has the knowledge of all scenes that were shot for the movie, including the cut ones.

She most likely was just surprised to see that TFA ended up being a movie that leaves questions than a contained story.

You know, like "Star Wars". Fucking Disney.

>Or is it Kylo Ren's ship
Kylo flies that bird looking Imperial ship. You know what's weird? It's weird how the movies make Kylo and Rey seem the same age even though Kylo and his knights were men in that flashback.

>Implying the writers/directors have any control

Even J.J. was unrecognizable in TFA. Every Disney production has a preordained existence. The director is just there as a name that can be slapped on commercials.

>From the director of Star Trek!

I'll never get over how badly the villain became after the mask was removed.

if she had her mind wiped or w/e it makes sense to not tell her the full backstory. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one originally and they just expected people to lap up their shit.

yea she seems like a bit of an airhead

Oh it was sure a JJ directed film

>very fast pacing
>action scene after action scene

>For the record, she has the knowledge of all scenes that were shot for the movie, including the cut ones.
According to JJ there was over 30 minutes that got cut so those probably explained way more about Rey. Hell the flashback scene with the Knights of Ren maybe was a lot longer.

Fuck you Disney for trimming this film down so much and making us wait 2 years to make sense of this movie.

None of those scenes would have made the film any better or the story any clearer.

you're retarded. It was obvious Snoke, Luke and Kylo knew who she was; and she had some past link to Luke's academy.

Those aren't all the deleted scenes user only a few. I said 30 minutes not 5.

Please list the important scenes they cut.

>Phasma removes her helmet and explains to recruits who Snoke is
>Luke early days at the academy
>Luke vs. Knights of Ren
>Rey and her parents meet up

Maz using the force which occurs after this scene
youtube.com/watch?v=qB3G2hkn278

JJ probably thought that people would compare this to Attack of the Clones Yoda so he cut it entierely as well as more dialogue between Rey and Maz explaining more about the force and about other stuff. No idea what they say but I am sure it was plot worthy.

>Luke early days at the academy
>Luke vs. Knights of Ren
No fucking way was any of these scenes filmed.

If they were, I am giving Disney and JJ a gigantic FUCK YOU for cutting it out you bastards,

Nice satire.

He was obviously joking or baiting, mate.

I think taking the time to describe the politics behind the resistance, the republic and the first order would greatly improve the story and make it clearer. That is one of the biggest criticisms, they don't explain what these groups are or how they relate to each other. They saw that the prequels had too much politics and so they decided for TFA to have no politics.

>No idea what they say but I am sure it was plot worthy.
This is textbook shit.

If you typed this unironically, seek medical help.

Early reports stated that they were going to recreate the Empire Strikes Back Luke fighting Vader hence why Hasbro decided to re release Luke and Vader toys with the Force Awakens logo.

>all this shitposting

I totally disagree. It would be same dull ripoff of a story we've seen already.

>not being angry that Disney makes us wait 2 years to make sense of their shitty action flick

>Early reports
Nah mate this is too vague and lacking any hint of veracity.

>not believing
Well I read this in an article months ago. Too lazy to find it but the evidence is here

>Hasbro re released Luke and Vader toys in the force awakens toy wave set

I'm sure they did repackage old toys. In itself, that means absolutely nothing.

I think that an explanation of politics would give the story the context it needs. Would I turn the film into a great one? No, but I think it would add something substantial that was missing. When starkiller base blows up those 5 planets we have absolutely no idea what those planets are, what their role in the galaxy is, who just died, or how that will impact the galactic landscape. If you add in exposition of the politics of the galaxy, the resistance, the republic, and the first order then we may actually have an understanding of the importance of those planets and their function. Thus we would feel an emotional connection to them which would then increase audience investment and raise the stakes. No one cares about 5 random planets we have never seen or heard of.

Also, by not explaining the politics they were allowed to just revert back to big evil guys with planet destroying machine and small group of resistance fighters. They reset everything back to the power structure of the original trilogy. If they are forced to explain what has happened since it would not feel like they completely disregarded the events of the original trilogy.

Without a context and understanding of the world the story doesn't quite make sense. The original trilogy kept it simple, their is an evil empire in power and so a small group of rebels decide to dismantle it and bring about peace and democracy. In TFA you are constantly wondering what the fuck is going on, who is the first order? why is their a group called the resistance when the rebels reinstituted a republic, who are they resisting? how was the first order able to build and create starkiller base without anyone noticing? how was the first order able to kidnap, brainwash, and train all their troops without anyone noticing or stopping them? has the resistance been fighting the first order this whole time? why wouldn't the republic just step in and squash the first order before they gained any strength?

They update packaging for toys all the time, it's to keep the shelving displays consistent with newer products.

Here's boba fett with the updated packaging. Does that mean he was supposed to show up and fight Han Solo?

The clues were in front of us all along

I mean

There's basically a 600% chance that Fett shows up in Han Solo: A Star Wars Tale isn't there?

>Actors can't be bad at acting.

Yeah, no. Boyega did fine, Isaacs was fine. She is just a bad actress.

That's the difference between this and the prequels. The prequels had proven, good actors, acting shitty because of bad direction and terrible scripts. This is just her.

Ridley is a moron.

>That interview where she thought Luke was Obi-Wan and used him as justification of her Mary Sue character

Oh, oh wow. So she isn't just an actress caught in the middle, she really is a brainwashed idiot.

Yes, but that packaging is for Force Awakens.

>excellent Maz Kanata character

He is in Rogue One. A German merchandise convention leaked a picture of Slave One in flight from the film.

>face that Kate makes when she sees your circumcised penis

She isn't American so obviously that would make her laugh.

That user is telling the truth one of TFA editors gave an interview talking about the luke vs vader in Bespin scene being cut

Anyone calling her "ugly" is just wrong but her acting was pretty terrible in TFA. Her accent is borderline intolerable.

She survived as a young child the same way she survived as an adult woman. She had invincible plot armor and was literally the best ever at everything she tried the first time she tried it.

She's Luke's daughter.

I thought this is common knowledge. Watched the movie yesterday and it seemed obvious to me. And then i find this thread, the fuck? It was even in the trailer - about force and how it is strong in "our family".

That was a line from an older movie. Also, it wasn't known that Ben Solo AKA (Ben Skywalker since Solo doesn't mean shit) existed until the movie came out.

She's a Force Rape baby.

Ok, it makes sense. It can equally be speech given to Rey or Ben by Luke. But Rey being Luke's daughter is the only possible way to explain why she, devoid of any training, beat "master of knights".
Honestly i was shocked to find out the movie is universally praised, i think it was abysmal. Finn dueling Ren for more then 0.025 seconds and Rey defeating him just by closing her eyes and whispering "ahh the force, how could i forget" while he just stares are the worst offenders. But the latter would be somehow believable for a pleb if she is Luke's daughter.

So she isn't just a Xenomorph faced fugly shit, talentless actress, she is also a legitimate retard?
Wew sasuga!

Is she a Trump?

What an airhead

And why would he abandon his own offspring?
Makes no sense

The same reason he became a cuck on some lonely isle in ireland.

It's not meant to be a mystery. Rey is a nobody and her parents identity will have almost no bearing on the sequels. The entire POINT of Rey is that she's a nobody with no biological inheritance to the Force but she succeeds because she's a good and noble person who believes in the spirit of the Force, in contrast to the spoiled and vain Kylo Ren who thinks he's hot shit because he's Vader's grandson. However, due to his own inferiority complex and lack of faith in himself he lacks true understanding of the Force.

the problem is that a majority of the current star wars fanbase still uses videogame and prequel logic, even if they don't actually realize it. To be powerful in the Force, you MUST be related to someone else or be some kind of space Jesus with a billion force cells

She thought she was Luke's daughter.

She's not, she's an actress.

JJ knew he wasn't directing the next one and actively worked to fuck the series up as hard as he could

I like to think RLM actually didn't like this movie and we're making fun of reviewers being paid off

were*

Why do people have such a problem with this scene?

It's girlish, dorky enthusiasm because she's charmed by meeting a Resistance Fighter, having admired the Rebel Alliance and fantasized about joining them her whole life

I know Sup Forums is autistic and can't into emotions but come ON

Your retarded post just reminded me that Finn should have been the main protagonist, but was cucked out of it by that malignant tumor

This. I wish Finn was the true Jedi and Rey wasnt

And she's obi wans ancestor

>the problem is that a majority of the current star wars fanbase still uses videogame and prequel logic, even if they don't actually realize it. To be powerful in the Force, you MUST be related to someone else or be some kind of space Jesus with a billion force cells

Yea, we should throw logic out the window. Jedi's don't need to be trained, there doesn't need to be a reason that anything happens.... You just need a good attitude and a cute smile and then you're a jedi master.

I thought it was established that to be good at the force one must learn about the nature of the force and how to use it. It is not the case that one can just immediately do some of the most advanced and complicated applications of the force. One must learn, study, and become one with the force. Unless there is a Ben Kenobi like hermit on Jakku there is no way that Rey would have any way of learning the force or coming to understand it, its just something she has heard about. Plus I don't get what all of this mind wipe shit comes from. Where else has it been established that you can use the force to wipe someone's memories? That is the only explanation I see, she trained with Luke and then had her memory wiped of it. And even if she is related to luke that just means she has the potential to use the force, she still needs to learn how to control it and embrace it, something that takes years of training to get moderately proficient at it.

Just because you make someone an orphan with no backstory, doesn't mean you have an excuse to skip large amounts of character development. which is exactly what they did. She has literally no character development other than her getting stronger.

It's like the games/movies where the main protagonist has amnesia. It's lazy writing because it lets you skip an interesting and compelling backstory.

Rey might as well have amnesia. The only part of her past we know of is staring at the ship fucking flying away as a child.

Where her parents on that ship? Was she sold into slavery? We don't know this shit because the writing in TFA is fucking trash.

>young human girl gets dropped off on some hard desert planet

>not turned into a loli sex slave by the time she's 10 and dead by the time she's 13

Same level of unrealistic gayness as TLOU

I know it was meant to be a shocking twist but holy shit I felt cheated. I have this horrible feeling the whole fucking plot of the trilogy will warp around her

The problem is there was only ONE other Jedi in the Star Wars movies who got their powers randomly and not from their parents.

Anakin podracer Skywalker boy wonder.

>She has literally no character development
The fucking child from PM has more character development than she does.

She's either retarded, or she hasn't actually seen TFA.

>Anakin podracer Skywalker boy wonder.

Even anakin was not as skilled as her in the force without jedi training.

Thank fuck it wasn't only me. That's what the commercials implied and I was so hyped. A Storm Trooper turned Jedi? That sounds amazing.

It would also been more believable that a soldier with a lifetime of military training was able to defeat a Sith Apprentice.

Instead of some scrawny orphan pulling the victory out of her ass.

You know you're screwed when you're trying to defend a character by comparing them to little annie

Luke had two weeks of training at most.

All Rey did was pull a lightsaber towards her, something Luke did with equal amounts of training (zero), a mind trick, and beat up a heavily wounded and mentally unstable poser Sith who wasn't trying to kill her

People are just mad a girl is the competent protagonist of Star Wars, lol

>Even anakin was not as skilled as her in the force without jedi training.

Great point. Rey went from "Is the force real?" to force pulling, jedi mind tricks, and winning light saber duels with sith lords in a few fucking days.

It just hit me that prepubescent Anakin had more character development than Rey. It's fucking sad.

He was only the red herring and comic relief. Shame. Because he was the more charismatic of the new leads.

Judging her solely by her performance in The Force Awakens, Ridley cannot act and the writing did her no favors.

>all she was able to do was force pulling, mind tricks, and winning lightsaber duels

Are there any other magical jedi powers cause that seems to be most of them.

The jedi mind trick shit killed me. The only people we saw doing jedi mind tricks were Jedi Masters. Even Luke was only able to do that in the third fucking movie after extensive training with Yoda.

Rey doing it is such bullshit. I don't even remember Anakin ever doing it in the prequels with years of training.

It's a joke. There's absolutely no mystery to Finn and his backstory, but it would have worked so much better
People really need to realize that TRAGIC TORTURED MYSTERIOUS PASTS aren't necessarily more compelling or interesting.

>It's a joke. There's absolutely no mystery to Finn and his backstory, but it would have worked so much better
party because it was an actual backstory. Rey's backstory is literally "I was dropped on a planet as a child"

Then again I've been wondering why they thought having the First Order get their soldiers through kidnapping children was a good fucking idea.

There were numerous planets and literally billions of people who supported the empire. What's with the need to kidnap and race children to fight?

>Luke had two weeks of training at most.

We don't know how long the training was... and it doesn't really matter because he barely does anything with the force in the first movie anyway.

Because if you dont have autism, you can easily spot bad mannerism. Shes a terrible actress and that scene was the moment I regretted having spent 12 Euro for it.

First movie he just submits to the force and lets it guide the shot to blow up the death star. Also if you notice Luke lays low for most of the fight, I don't even think he took anyone down.

Second movie he fails in a duel with Darth Vadar and does a few force pulls, struggles with it on Hoth actually

Third movie (after a six months of one on one time with Jedi Master Yoda) he is able to do a jedi mind trick once, fail the mind trick on a Hut, and win a duel with Vader.

Compare that to Rey and you'll understand why she's a joke. Does everything Luke does it in less than a week with NO TRAINING.

The reality of it is it made he character seem stuipid and naive. I hate to say it but this is why she was called a mary sue. She was inconsistent.

>She isn't confused, she is just lesbian.

Imagine if the reason Finn suddenly turned good compared to the other brainwashed stormtroopers is because in his DNA, he shares a Jedi blood line of some ancient Jedi force user.

Now that to me would have been cool as Finn then sets out in Episode 8, trying to find out who his parents were by exploring the past (as we as the viewer learn more about various Jedi cults which existed before Vader wiped them out or some shit).

Even if Disney has to make up some stuff, this still would have been far better compared to what we got: a strong boring character: Rey who is so powerful with all knowledge while Finn just stumbles behind her.

They could have kept the ending where Finn fights Kylo and loses, the great breaks apart and Kylo runs away back to Snoke while Rey wakes up, sees Finn injured as then Chewie comes to bring the falcon. Much better in my opinion.

>the great breaks apart
I mean the ground breaks apart

I was hoping Finn was going to be the Jedi.

Then when it was Rey I was hoping she was going to embrace the dark side to defeat Kylo. It would be an ironic twist that she is better at embracing the dark side then he is.

It would have been cool to see Rey try to become a Jedi only to embrace the dark side because of the power it gives her (she's been essentially a slave her whole life and it would be enticing to her just like Anakin) and Kylo would turn to the good side. And their dichotomy would slowly swap over the next few movies.

But of course that would INTERESTING. Can't have that. Gotta have the main protagonist be an easy to like accomplishes everything right away,

Seriously what other jedi powers are left for her? She knows everything already.

What about her acting when Kylo is trying to read her mind? It looked so forced and then near the end when she beats Kylo and she is grinding her teeth while panting...

People make jokes about Hayden Christenson but to me he at least looked great when it came to the fighting parts yet Daisy just feels like she cannot fully connect.

If Rey does not turn to the dark side in Episode 8.. I am fucking done...

Come on. She is SO POWERFUL! Disney HAS to make her go dark. No force user like that can remain good without at least trying to embrace the dark side.

Now if I was Snoke, I'd seduce Rey to the dark side and kill Kylo as punishment for him losing against her.

How powerful is Snoke anyway? We are led to believe he is pretty powerful and we know he seduced Kylo so I hope he somehow seduces Rey.

Just look at this fan art of Rey as a sith.. I believe Daisy good be a great actor if she was given this role because then she would be actually achieving something with her character, commanding the Empire instead of being nothing but a goody good princess knight.

Imagine the plot twist: Luke NEVER wanted to train Rey. He hoped she would NEVER find him because he knows she can be easily manipulated to the dark side due to how powerful she is (hence why he is shocked to see her at the end of Episode 7).

It pisses me off when this probably never crossed Disney's mind and I bet they are just remaking Empire and Return..

Well fuck em if they do that and dont experiment with dark Rey.

Acting in this movie is embarrassingly bad. Watching it was akin watching a school theatrical project in a permanent cringe spasm while constantly reminding yourself that "it is just kids". Combine cardboard cutouts of a character with atrocious pacing, laughable writing and total stupidity and you get EVII. I can't fathom how this concoction is even being discussed so shamelessly. Is this movie success a fucking mind trick?

They better not pull the "You're too powerful to train, we have to go slow" like Anakin but she BETTER go to the dark side. There is no way someone who was abandoned by her family and was a powerless slave for two decades doesn't embrace power as soon as she tastes it.

>Dark Rey.

if they do that in the third movie and have finn become the main protagonist to stop her, I might actually buy a ticket.