Is he our guy?

>Patience is a virtue. Just ignore the noise and definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way. If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life. When people ask me that, I invariably say no, whatever the case may be. And if they start to recommend it to me, I tell them it doesn't really sound like my kind of thing. Their discomfort and disappointment in not being able to use music in a way they should not be using it is a wonderful feeling.

>It's across the board - nobody who has money wants to talk about it and anybody who doesn't is embarrassed to reveal it. And that's fine and true of ordinary life, but when you're putting on "punk" clothes and waxing about the virtuous, righteous values you hold - about Riot Grrrl, Veganism, DIY, Safe Spaces, whatever - there's not a lot of valor there, for me. There's no bravery in professing a social stance that is actually an ethical luxury.

>I have never liked anything that guy did back to Red House Painters, who I thought were a 4AD album cover with nothing inside. I have no sympathy for him, and none of his social miscues can be cast as "refreshingly un-PC" or "sticking it to wusses." He's just an absolute bore and I've never understood how anyone could like any of his music. I think I liked his cover of a Modest Mouse song at one point, and I hate Modest Mouse, so that was strange. But yeah, just a complete nothing to me. A pretty voice, nowhere to point it.

Sup Forums is all about using music in a competitive way, so no. He's right though. He's right 90% of the time.

>Patience is a virtue. Just ignore the noise and definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way. If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life. When people ask me that, I invariably say no, whatever the case may be. And if they start to recommend it to me, I tell them it doesn't really sound like my kind of thing. Their discomfort and disappointment in not being able to use music in a way they should not be using it is a wonderful feeling.

wow what a pretentious faggot lmao

A R T
C O N
J A C K A S S

>Honestly Grimes is the most overrated, over-reported musical act of this decade. I love a few of her songs and she is clearly Rated just right as a fashion model and youth celebrity, but as a musician, she doesn't deserve the place she's in. There's not enough to warrant it on a musical basis, it's all "X Factor." And that's fine, but I would rather see music media focus on music and she can be a YouTube star like Rosanna Pansino. There's plenty of room to talk about her fabulous clothing and visual aesthetic. I don't know if I could talk about her music for five minutes.

>I hate Swans. I always have. That guy is a complete fucking waste. Just a total fucking waste of life as an opportunity to accomplish anything. GG Allin had the balls to actually play with his own shit; Gira subjected his audience to the aural equivalent.

>[On Father John Misty] He's just another in a long line of idiot chalants who breeze through life wincing artistically. Jim Morrison was the worst thing to ever happen to American men.

>I still don't appreciate The Grateful Dead or Neil Young. If it wasn't for kids being so taken with In the Aeroplane I'd probably spend my time telling people to shut the fuck up about Harvest. Who gives a shit, that record sucks. Neil Young's an absolute cornball. Get over it.

Red House Painters were one of the best bands of the 90s.
Aside from that, yeah, he's almost always right on the money.

>Christgau is likewise married, and has a child, and his wife had an affair while he was going through a midlife crisis, and all of that and more is in the gooey memoir he published earlier this year, Going Into the City. Like his more formalist counterpart Greil Marcus, Christgau’s attitude toward and descriptions of women, and sex, are hugely distracting, even unsettling; a transparent attempt to overcome the sexless impotence of a Rock Writer standing next to their venerated subject.

>If you’ve ever seen Bill Simmons interview an athlete, it’s the same mortifying spectacle: you’re watching an average-looking guy in a blazer try to talk his way into a nightclub. Even if they’re rich or famous enough to get past the velvet rope on status, they will never fit in there. They will never belong in the club, at the after-party, backstage, or on the tour bus, because they will never be cool. If Nick Kent couldn’t pull it off, nobody can. So to the sucking and fucking and “zaftig” masturbation in his book, I’ve got to say, Bob, pull your head in. Nobody wants to know.

>I hate Swans. I always have. That guy is a complete fucking waste. Just a total fucking waste of life as an opportunity to accomplish anything.

Beautiful and 100% accurate quote.

>he's not vegan
dropped

>Music has no intrinsic market value. It can change the world, mend hearts, and break them, but it is not an asset. It’s not even a commodity. No piece of music is more valuable than any other: it is either popular, or less so. The only aspect of capitalism available to music is its use value, which is prohibitively variable. Whatever capacity music has to interface with commerce, it is subject to the whims of fashion, and the consensus of the marketplace. Music’s value is a rolling referendum.

You cannot build a framework of objection on a false premise, yet we are still subjected to monotonous editorials that would convince us musicians’ rights are being trampled upon; that streaming services fail to provide “fair” income to these “creators.”

Even when I don't agree with Ott, I get what he's saying. And he's definitely /ourguy/.

>There's no bravery in professing a social stance that is actually an ethical luxury.
Dropping them redpills.

>If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life.
man I wish I was this cynical. ironically, he's far more pretentious holding this view than the person asking him about music. you would think for someone who used to make a living based around music, he'd be more open to talking about music. what a fucking faggot.

I like Ott, but he's a bit of a narcissist. I remember when I followed him on twitter, he used to rag on a bunch of different artists and occasionally one of those artists would reach out to him and tell him that they liked his work on Shallow Rewards or past writing. When they praised him, he'd immediately back off. I think this happened with the guy from the Mountian Goats and then they would act like they were friends or something like that until Chris ultimately left twitter. The guy just wants to be told he's liked and respected constantly.

He's a loser who's wasted his life on something meaningless thinking it validated his existence somehow. His YouTube videos are all him talking to himself in an empty room.

Of course he's Sup Forumss guy, the sound of his own voice echoing off the walls in his empty apartment is all he'll ever have.

>In much the same way men have long-dreaded ending up “the forty year-old single guy at the bar,” I began to dread becoming “the forty year-old, hard-drinking contrarian who still bangs his head to Black Flag’s ‘My War’.” I will say Christopher Hitchens’ demise had some impact on me, but I think Andrew Breitbart’s was probably even more shocking, because he was such a devoted self-mythologist and aggrandizer. I liked a great deal of Hitchens’ work, and thought nothing of Breitbart, but both men occupied pseudo-rebellious positions in their chosen ponds, and had become very large, very bloated fish. Breitbart’s physical slide in particular was ghastly. What the arrested lives of both men say to me is that the bygone dream of the dapper dipsomaniac is just that.

>Lewis Hyde said it better, in the worn pages of a gift given to me so many years ago:

>"The alcoholic is like a fossil leaf that mimics the living, but is really stone."

How has a man with a wife, three kids and a job that allows him to support them wasted his life?

yeah, I'm pretty sure he's an accountant or something like that with a pretty nice house. not sure what that anons talking about

>Ott married
>Ott kids
>Ott house
lmao. No.

Ott doesn't listen to music because he likes music, he listens to music because the voices blaring out of the stereo are as close to actual companionship as he can get.

Records are his friends & family because actual friends & family aren't an option he has access to.

t. assblasted neo-pitchfork writer

>>Ott married
>>Ott kids
>>Ott house
>lmao. No.
he objectively has all these things though what are you talking about

Lord what a load of pretentious drivel. Everyone grows out of My War by 30 anyways.

No, he doesn't.

oh man this guy has kids? I fear for their futures, if he raises them to be like him they're going to get bullied their entire life

he talked about them a lot on twitter and would even occasionally post pictures of his daughter and son. not sure what you have to gain from denying reality

Why are you making shit up? A stable married man with kids wouldnt be such a blowhard. Y u lyin nigga? Stop lying.

Post screencaps. I'll wait.

>One of my least-favorite bands. I've never liked any of their music. Them and Blonde Redhead. Just nothing, emotionless manipulation of instruments.
>Yeah, understand that Unwound had then and still holds a pretty heavy rep in my generation of indie fans and critics. Leaves Turn is a total "classic" to a lot of them, and I don't have anything against them. I just feel nothing for them.

which of your favorite bands did he destroy for you to be this upset?

at least ott will die alone and never have children - so we can all be thankful for that

this isn't some hidden secret you autist. it was all over his twitter when he was still on it. he used to call his daughter Baby Grimes for some reason. kind of weird honestly

I hate you faggots for turning the only good Youtube music channel into a meme. Nothing is sacred.

Oh wow so he's just like Fantano then

he's just baiting, he's samefagged about 5 posts now

>ip count isn't going up
just kys

Huh. Would you at that... I'm over here still waiting. What a shocker.

You made a claim. Now provide proof. Tick tock....

he destroyed vaporwave

Still making shit up... why are in so invested in lying about someone else's life?

Never got how someone who obsesses over Swirlies and loves Black Flag like he does gets nothing from Unwound. Blonde Redhead, yeah I understand that feeling, but Unwound definitely doesn't sound like "emotionless manipulation of instruments". Ott is definitely one of the best music critics on the internet, but his taste confuses me sometimes.

(You)
(You)

I think when you're his age you either love something or you don't have any time for it, no in between. A lot of what he says confuses me though. It seems like he walks a line between being super anti-consumerist but also being a huge enabler of consumerism.

>mfw that one autist itt who lied about ott having a wife and kids shitting all over himself when he got called out on it
>otts fans are all the same type of sad delusional loser ott is
poetry

B-b-but user he does! He posted on twitter about it!

*ahem*

Still waiting.
Kek

>It seems like he walks a line between being super anti-consumerist but also being a huge enabler of consumerism.

He just thinks that no one is entitled to earn a living by playing music (or writing about it)

He is right too. Though I find him insufferable i will agree that musicians are not entitled to make a living off of their art. Making music is not work.

It's pretty light criticism by his standards, rarely does he add a "not my cup of tea" caveat to older music. He gets contradictory about consumerism for sure, but I think that's reasonable when you grow up with an MTV actually interested in sharing new music and the bands he liked definitely were getting money from record sales since they were indie. And I never have understood his belief on music as a product, seems like I've heard him say 3 different things about it.

>hair posts are the only half way decent threads on Sup Forums

>he's not vegan
wtf, I love this guy now

>My vexation comes from the total and sneaky manner in which digital music distribution and increasingly-powerful engines of influence like Pitchfork have destroyed music fandom, by turning it into a salable commodity without the fans’ consent. When fans bought records, they had their say, their dollar vote. When big labels engaged in channel-stuffing to get shitty records falsely elevated chart position, that was unethical, and false, and people rebelled against it through punk, hip-hop and indie music, etc.

>What is the modern response for subjugated fans now that music distribution and recommendation platforms are profiting from their attention, regardless of the nature of that attention. You might be listening to something and just retching over how bad it is; you would never pay money for it, but because you landed on it, someone’s getting paid. How can anyone delude themselves a referendum based on this kind of binary tallying is valid? This system cedes the same corrupt control over music promotion to digital publishers and the PR firms they’re cozy with.

yeah, his taste doesn't add up sometimes. He has weird beefs with some bands that have nothing to do with music on a personal level and effects his writing in a bad way. overall I like him, but he's just a spiteful twat sometimes

>who breeze through life wincing artistically
jesus this guy is on another level of amazing.

Lord what the fuck am i reading? And this pretentsious drip owns a house is married and has children? Bitch please.

>Just ignore the noise and definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way. If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life.
What a fucking hypocrite.

It's very early era pitchfork of him. Speaking of pitchfork
Look up "The Negrofication of Pitchfork", it's a great little essay about this, especially the part about buzzbands, and it was pretty prescient, being released in 2011. Online music journalism is fucking disgusting and it pisses me off people give Pitchfork any kind of credence. They are critically clueless and often devoid of any unique commentary.

Carles was never a good writer and most of the things he speculated about in that article were bullshit.

meh I haven't read his stuff in a while, but I liked hipster runoff when I was like 15

Maybe stop posting?
And quit using my name

I've never even read the rest of his blog, though I've been meaning to just because it seems that it's back in Sup Forums's collective conciousness. Just saw it and thought it captures the same idea well. The writing obviously isn't great and I agree that it was pretty speculative, but people do use music criticism publications to develop their taste and choose what to listen to, and it's worth talking about corporate influence, especially with how they are now.

When he’s right, he’s right on the money.
When he’s wrong, he acts like an underage faggot.

All of the points about manipulating trends with corporate influence are good, and that's generally why I loathe Pitchfork. But these assertions that specifically relate to the corporate angle aren't really substabtiated by the choices they've made post-Kanye in terms of album sales and popularity. Even Kendrick isn't the top selling hip-hop artist, and they've given the dude three damn AOTYs. The more likely conclusion is that it's all politics and not as centred around finances, though it's pretty obvious they care about the bottom line too.

ott blows the fuck out of Sup Forumsdrones and plebs

this. ott blows the fuck out of Sup Forumsdrones and plebs dicks like a professional prostitute with his shitty opinions. opposites attract especially when it comes to vapid dilettantes

>Just ignore the noise and definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way.
What's funny is that he's using cynicism in a competitive way. Is that supposed to be better?

ott might come across as a crank but when you see how artists are getting their dicks sucked all across the sad excuse we have for a music press today (except if you're like ed sheeran, who's "okay" to hate) he's refreshing to say the least

"thinking" pop journalism a shit, burn it down

>>I have never liked anything that guy did back to Red House Painters, who I thought were a 4AD album cover with nothing inside. I have no sympathy for him, and none of his social miscues can be cast as "refreshingly un-PC" or "sticking it to wusses." He's just an absolute bore and I've never understood how anyone could like any of his music. I think I liked his cover of a Modest Mouse song at one point, and I hate Modest Mouse, so that was strange. But yeah, just a complete nothing to me. A pretty voice, nowhere to point it.
What is he even talking about? What about Kozelek's music is "un-PC"?

try reading the quote again

>Hey buddy, you ever listen to butthole suffers?
DONT EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN!!!! FUCK YOU!!!! YOU ARE CUT FROM MY LIFE 4 EVVAAARRRR!!!!!!!

you're right it's sad how ott's opinions kept him from getting his dick wet all these years, at least he doesn't have kids.

>Ott is a numale cuck raising someone else kids
Holy shit I have always gotten heavy numale vibes from this turd burger but him turning out to be a literal walking meme and Sup Forums always being right is honestly starting to bother me

triggered swansfags trying to paint ott as a "cuck"...how intriguing

ok is he drinking soy milk in that pic

This guy has some points, but his prose is just awful. Just fucking say what you are trying to say without dressing it up in teenager words. It's a symptom of fascism, people.

>stobb using big wurds

>Hey Ott, I've been enjoying the band _____ recently.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>It's a symptom of fascism, people.
lmao what

wew lad all he's missing is the cuck glasses

>It's a symptom of fascism, people.

its a symbol of reading books

>The sheer amount of salt in this thread

Calidad

>Don't recommend people music they might not have heard of
?

This guy btfos bugmen regularly

he's not using big words, he's a shitty, unclear writer

i think you're just a shitty reader my dude
happy xmas

It's pretty clearly worded to me. It's missing a question mark and a word but his syntax is fine.

I'm really not. A good writer should be as clear and concise as possible. He's trying to show off, like a 16 year old assuming that's what an intellectual is supposed to do. But it's just convoluted and clumsy for no reason. It's not stylish and it doesn't get the point across better. It's simply bad writing.

might wanna stick to buzzfeed listicles champ
>A good writer should be as clear and concise as possible.
also false. are you american by any chance?

>hey, have you heard this band? They're pretty gre-
>HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME ABOUT MUSIC REEEEE

The first paragraph is beyond retarded.

>these people are all fucking terrible wastes of life and space and should kill themselves
>MY opinions though, now there's something of value! Because I'm extremely opinionated and hold no middle grounds, that certainly implies that I know something you don't and that my opinions are the correct ones.

Deleting someone out of your life for asking you if you've heard something is ridiculous, but to me it reads as a reactionary response to people who use music as social capital - people who use knowledge as a sword. He even admits in one video he used to be one of those kids. He's been in this shit longer than you or I, I imagine it's frustrating.

The best part about a pontificating narcissist like Chris Ott is that his opinions don't matter, they never mattered, and they'll never matter in the future. If you ever wanted proof of God's existence then there it is.

if you ever made a last fm or chart you need to kill yourself

Give it a rest, Mark.

this desu

"talking about music" in the age of "anything can be music!!" is like talking about comics or something. it requires zero effort. fucking useless and only a way to signal your desperation

Is Chris the Armond White of Sup Forums? He sure gets people triggered on that level.

Yep. What kind of brain-dead fuck needs a gatekeeper when you can just go to the source and decide what you think for yourself? Imagine being that weak-minded and needing to have some "validated" opinion to decide how you feel about something. Music journalists have always been parasites, how they still manage to exist in the information age is perplexing.

this