Saxophone

Getting a Saxophone soon any experienced players have any tips for me?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=essential elements saxophone&oq=essential elements sax&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.24397j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

tfw too shy to practice at home

you Shouldn't be

You should buy a new mouth piece, a new ligature and a new neck strap. The mouth piece, ligature and neck strap that come with it are shit. For the neck strap, go with Neotech its like 20 bucks, for the ligature and mouthpiece I would recommend selmer, specifically an s80 mouthpiece. Never buy a Rico neck strap with a metal hook, i did and I broke my neck strap ring. One last thing, stick with it, it will bring you some of the best experiences of your life.

you must wear sunglasses while playing it

I'd recommend this starter book
google.com/search?q=essential elements saxophone&oq=essential elements sax&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.24397j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Learn how to play this:

youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo

pretty much this. although its usually okay to wait a bit to upgrade the mouth piece since you haven't developed your airflow yet

New neckstrap is unnecessary unless its completely unusable. I recommend a C* Selmer mouthpiece and Vandoren optimum or M/O ligature

stop now. No one thinks ur clever

You can go straight for the harder reeds. It will be tougher at the beginning but if you stick with it you'll get stronger much faster. Also, when you decide to get a new mouth piece be aware they can make the instrument sound very different, so keep in mind what style of music you want to play - it's not just "oh they say this one is good so I'll get it" - it must be good for YOU.
Hope you enjoy your new instrument pal!

>You can go straight for the harder reeds. It will be tougher at the beginning but if you stick with it you'll get stronger much faster.
This is false. Start at 2.5. then go up to 3 if that gets too soft. I recommend using Vandoren V12 reeds when your chops get real strong

OP Here thanks for the advice. What were somethings you guys did in the beginning that you were not supposed to do??

If you play sitting down, hold the sax between your legs and not off to the side of the right leg, unless your a manlet or a tenor / bari.
Learn how to use a reed. Its ok to use your upper teeth and bite down on top of the mouthpiece as long as you aren't trying to bite through it, but for the bottom side of the mouthpiece your lip should cover your teeth like an old man.
Dry your reeds after you use them so they don't get moldy.

blow on the thin end so noise goes out the big end

once you settle on a specific model, buy two or three and test them all out for intonation, return the ones that aren't as good

b & d flat are problem notes, at least on alto

How is that false? When I started I played on 1.5 reeds. Then later playing in a band they told me this tip and I realise how right it is.
Pay attention to how hard you're biting the mouthpiece and try not to pull down on the saxophone. This will make it tough to practice for long and it's hard to notice at first when you're paying attention to the sound and fingers

been playing alto for 14 years
my best advice is to stop playing and just learn piano instead :^)

sax's main strength is getting girls (the stereotype is true) so if that's what you want, keep playing

I used too much lip

Don't forget saxophone are the most expensive instrument, and thats mostly because they're easy to be in need of repairs. so protected like a baby.

Also don't chew any gum before playing senpai. The sugar fucks it up