Fight club?

Just finished watching fight club for the first time after constantly being hyped up by friends and co-workers. I don't see why the movie was/is so highly praised. It was a mediocre movie in my opinion. It was I guess in a way a "deep" movie that causes you to think about what life really is like but really the movie seems more like something an edgy emo teenager would like whereas to any adult that has actually lived life it's just a reminder of how most of us live life like robots doing things we hate just because it how we were told to be and to fit in. Either that or I watched the wrong movie. Sorry if I just rambled on I just don't understand why it's so overhyped. Someone care to explain?

>fight club for the first time
Are you 14?

It was the go-to film to watch when dvds started to come out, probably because of the twist gimmick in films at the time were rare.

20 actually. Never really was a huge fan of movies. Didn't watch pulp fiction till I was 17

I can see how it may have been a good movie back then and I will admit some parts did trip me out a little bit for it to still be so highly praised in these times is something I can't comprehend. It was a decent movie at best but not the movie everyone says it is. That's just my opinion though

Fair enough. You would have liked it more when you were 14.

It's popular because it struck a chord with alienated counterculture teens and young adults who didn't watch a large variety of movies, and mainly liked "mindfuck" twist movies. In the mid to late 2000's Sup Forumstards would never shut up about them.
Decent soundtrack, competent use of CGI in a way which was still uncommon for the time, memorable characters and lines which became memes. It was probably the equivalent of today's Deadpool, except less stupid.

>It was probably the equivalent of today's Deadpool, except less stupid

Seriously kys

It's popular so it's shit xD

No it's popular AND it's shit

The movie was good but that was all. Just good. I agree with you on most of that, the sound track was okay, the characters were memorable and it did have some pretty good lines. I laughed a couple times but was constantly feeling like I was missing some sort of information or hints. I'll try watching the movie a second time (recommend by almost everyone apparently) and maybe this time I'll like it a little more

Are you trying to tell me Deadpool is an intelligent movie? Don't even try to deny that popular movies have been dumbed down since the 1999.

>I'll try watching the movie a second time (recommend by almost everyone apparently)
This is good practice for hyped movies, the first time I saw apocalypse now it was just meh, the second time I was blown away. Same with mullholland dr.
In general, there is some substance behind extremely hyped movies.

I'm not saying it's great or you should watch it again. I grew out of it a long time ago.

To much memes and Sup Forums in this thread.

Go lick corporate ass.

commies are for throwing out of helicopters

anti-humans

What did you consider a better movie.. ??seriously

It's a satire, retard.

>muh Sup Forums
lmao

I think it gains a little more substance when you break down what happens to the protagonist scene by scene and realise that the movie isn't actually endorsing the counter-cultural spiel Durden produces.
When you're shown a course of action that is only stopped by the protagonist literally shooting himself in the head to end it you can generally assume you're not meant to find that course of action agreeable. If there is a point to it it's that yes there is a problem but no anarchy is not a solution.

Nice shit opinion

No, I'm pointing out the movie he's comparing it to is terrible, outside of "action", fight club and Deadpool share no semblance

Thank you

exactly

but no it's not the greatest movie ever, and yes it does appeal to a teenage audience, but not exclusively. i think it is a fine movie, very well made. up there with the rest of fincher's movies

it's a movie about schizophrenia

>outside of "action", fight club and Deadpool share no semblance
They're both popular movies that appeal to 14 - 20-something year old guys. That's all.

This is why I fucking hate millennials

Why the fuck are you on here then?

Most people shit on it now though. If anything your opinion matches a good number of SJWs and guys on here.

Because I wanted to see what others had to say in hopes that maybe I could further understand the movie?

>It's a mediocre movie.

It's not the best thing since sliced bread, but you're clearly underraged

You're talking about Sup Forums here.

"...& film" or is a movie no longer considered a film?

Everyone will agree that Fincher is the modern master of the psychological thriller/serial killer neo-noir, but I think his films are also very underrated as "red-pilled" sociological studies.

>Seven, Zodiac, TGWTDT
Movies. Cohesive trilogy.
>Fight Club, The Social Network, Gone Girl
Films. Cohesive trilogy.
(according to Fincher himself)

Fight Club isn't just babby's first criticism of consumerism, it's also a fun study of the male psyche and social alienation in a post-feminist society (the two, of course, are intertwined, since feminism was allowed to blossom because it allowed capitalism to create more consumers). "A generation of men raised by women", a complete lack of father figures and strong role models created weak and lost men. In the end, the narrator steps out of the proverbial cave of false conflicts and goes beyond Tyler's and society's lies: he (man) accepts Marla (woman) as his only salvation and key to life (reproduction), ready to begin a new world while the old one crumbles. A bit naive (how long will the relationship last?), but necessary in view of society's forced and unnatural individualism.

TSN... The sociological study nature of the film is in the title. It's of course not only about facebook itself, but about how the digital age changed human relationships, how a tool that was meant to bring people closer made them more isolated and individualistic than ever. This is a logicial step after Fight Club, when the men who were raised by women end up being raised by computers, nu-males turn into geeks/nerds and stray even further from the male essence (see hikkikomori psychology). Mark is a powerful billionaire, the king of the so-called "social" empire, yet cannot bring himself to communicate with the girl he likes. In his heart, he is powerless and alone. It's a direct contrast to Narrator finally rejecting his sick social system by holding Marla's hand; this time Fincher lost hope in human relationships and modern society.

Some of you guys get really touchy when someone expresses an opinion that isn't similar to yours. Did they cut your guys' balls off too like in the movie?

Didn't made you think even about 'why should you buy the latest iPhone every year'?

GG if half-movie half-film, interesting structure. Starts like a thriller, ends like a social satire about the modern marriage. The real nightmare isn't morbid serial killers anymore, it's simply the post-feminist wife, who can literally get away with anything and keeps her man prisoner with manipulation. Marla was insane but Amy is something else. Only a very sick society would allow her to prosper.

>Movies vs Films
“A movie is made for an audience and a film is made for both the audience and the filmmakers. I think that The Game is a movie and I think Fight Club‘s a film. I think that Fight Club is more than the sum of its parts, whereas Panic Room is the sum of its parts. I didn’t look at Panic Room and think: Wow, this is gonna set the world on fire. These are footnote movies, guilty pleasure movies. Thrillers. Woman-trapped-in-a-house movies. They’re not particularly important.” - David Fincher

Fight Club is a good movie. The problem is that people who watch a few movies love it so people that haven't watched enough movies hate it. When you grow up and stop tipping your fedora and move beyond former Soviet state arthouse films and just watch everything you'll understand.

>You would have liked it more when you were 14.
I watched it when I was 12 and I didn't like it. I'm a girl btw xD

...by then it was nothing but, BLINDING!!!

>movie vs. film

lol fuck off
film originally meant the physical tape where the movie is stored, now it's all digital, film and movie came to mean the same thing
some languages don't even have a term similar to "movie" or "kino", it's all film

Great write up, so I thought I'd give you a (You). What really struck me is the idea of feminism allowed to flourish, unchained, because of capitalism/consumerism.

Very interesting.

Anyone intelligent used the movie as a springboard to delve into the philosophies it very loosely covers. Or had a good conception of them already. Some of the ideas are worthwhile and not difficult to understand

This movie is shot and is most definitely for 14 year olds. The people that think this movie is deep and profound are probably also really into movies like donnie darko or inception. Just B list hollywood trash for pubescent boys.

>post-feminist society
Cringe.
>since feminism was allowed to blossom because it allowed capitalism to create more consumers
Citation needed.
>"A generation of men raised by women", a complete lack of father figures
As if this is some kind of modern invention created by your most likely strawman tier "Internet culture" definition of "feminists". Who do you think had the main responsibility of raising kids "back in the olds days" btw? lmao
>the men who were raised by women end up being raised by computers
>nu-males
>the male essence
God how I hate people.

So what are you? A faggot or a feminist? Or both? I don't understand the position from which you criticize. I think it likely you believe your fair share of bullshit

>OP is 16 years old

lmao gtfo nigger. U word your opinion as if you are an infant.

>how I hate people
you should kill them then, start with yourself

>lmao gtfo nigger. U word your opinion as if you are an infant.

oh the ironing

it's reddit's and normie's favorite movie

i liked it when i was 14

underrated post, applies to way too many people here

It articulates a lot of common masculine rage in America, particularly in the easy going era of the 90s. A lot of it isn't that relevant anymore, given the economy's been in the tank ever since, but a lot of it is still relevant.

This is the "flick" of comments.

Hmm, maybe because in the past, before feminism you could manage a house on a single budget while 50% of society sat at home doing housework and raising children? Yeah. Capitalism can operate when 50% of people aren't generating production.

Retard. Not even him.

>blows up the banks
>not agreeable
get a load of this guy

Face it, you're a contrarian. There is a lot of you here in this board. You see a good movie and automatically think it's bad. Maybe someday you'll grow up out of this.

Congratulations, you don't have shit taste.
Fight Club is a 4/10 tryhard edgy teen flick that contradicts itself at its core.
What did you expect from an MTV video clip meme director who adapted a trash book by the shittiest writer of his generation?

>It was probably the equivalent of today's Deadpool, except less stupid.

Please just end your life

I'll never forget telling a middle school bully who loved to fight with his group of friends that his group were just like that movie Fight Club.

He gives me the most condescending look and says
>did you even watch the movie?

It wasn't until years later when I actually sat down and watched it that I understood why he asked that.

You fucking idiot.

Underrated banepost

No matter how you look at it, you're just a total pleb for defending either movie.

fuck off you're wrong

Fuck off retard this place is Sup Forums 2.0

Its a great movie, I saw it back when I was 13-14 and got a fight club tshirt and wore it all time, i knew every line of that movie. 15 years later I watched it again and still loved it, albeit with major nostalgia goggles on
>great music
>great actors
>interesting story
>Dank David Fincher cinematography
>plot twist that makes you want to watch it again
>great ending
Put some respect on the fight club name

it's a good film, highly overrated though. fincher has made better films

Some things are about feelings. I wouldn't expect an autist to understand

>hurrrr guys i just watched citizen kane and like, it's nothing special come on it's sooo overrated

^

>guys I just watched this highly influential and praised movie and it's secretly not that good but only I know so because I'm smart and special :)
These threads should get you banned

I think Fight Club's reputation got seriously tainted by, of course, teenagers taking it a bit too seriously.

That said, it's actually a pretty good movie.

did they fug?

Oh wow, just finished listening to several songs from this band Beatles because some friends from school recommended them. I don't honestly see why they're so highly praised. It's pretty mediocre music in my opinion.

Guys, some friends from the kindergarten told me to try this new invention - the wheel. Seems pretty mediocre to me, someone care to explain?

Why isn't OP allowed to have his own opinion?

Everyone is allowed to have his own opinion. It's just that some opinions are stupid and should be shamed.

But fight club sucks.

Is Fight Club the nickname of your mother, the prostitute?

The only people who hate fight club are contrarians.
If you can't see why it is acclaimed you probably should get checked for autism, also what's your favorite movie : ) go ahead tell us.

Because you say so?
Do you understand how idiotic and pretentious it is to attempt to outweigh decades of praise with your hot opinions?

It's not just contrarians, it's also people who saw it too late. Fight Club was so influential that lots of movies tried to copy it, so obviously if you see it when you've already seen hundreds of imitations, its impact wouldn't be that great.

I'm not attempting to outweigh anything. I'm not trying to convice you that fight club sucks.

I'm telling you that fight club sucks. Why can't you handle that?

You can say it but you can't expect others to treat that statement seriously.

>If you disagree with me I won't take you seriously.

Welcome to Sup Forums

WITH YOUR FEET ON THE AIR AND YOUR HEAD ON THE GROUND

>I don't see why....
Yes you do see why, you just want to be a special snowflake contrarian

>I don't see why the movie was/is so highly praised.

Shut the fuck up you idiot.