How do I make my RYM reviews better? I used to be able to write so eloquently, but whenever I try to make a good review...

How do I make my RYM reviews better? I used to be able to write so eloquently, but whenever I try to make a good review, it either doesn't feel as intelligent or as memorable, or it's completely nonsensical.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

don't write to come off as intelligent or memorable

Don't.
RYM reviews are very often terrible. You don't want to be that guy, trust me,.

So, I should instead just focus on my honest feelings as opposed to pompousness? What about having a certain level of objectivity? And if it doesn't matter to have objectivity, should I instead try and make personal anecdotes that relate to the album/song I want to review?

What about LimedBagels' reviews?

>I should instead just focus on my honest feelings as opposed to pompousness?
Yes

>What about having a certain level of objectivity?
You can have both, just remember that you are one voice amongst many, and RYM functions best when you can read multiple perspectives on an album. As a reader, you get a pretty clear view of an album just by looking at the throughlines between reviews, both positive and negative. It's not a competition to be the best reviewer or to have the definitive opinion

>should I instead try and make personal anecdotes that relate to the album/song I want to review?
I personally don't like reading this, but if you think it's relevant and can't properly express your opinion without it then fine

>You can have both, just remember that you are one voice amongst many, and RYM functions best when you can read multiple perspectives on an album. As a reader, you get a pretty clear view of an album just by looking at the throughlines between reviews, both positive and negative. It's not a competition to be the best reviewer or to have the definitive opinion
Thank you, I really enjoyed this. It's just that I want my perspective to have some sort of merit to not only others, but myself. I don't necessarily desire the most votes or to get on the front page, but I want my reviews to properly give the album the justice it deserves.

Another bump. I want to see a few more perspectives.

I want to ask you why you're interested in writing reviews.

I'm sudying STEM, I write almost only objective things and I like to read objective reviews.

BTW writing the review (as doing any other art) is only 20% of the work. You need to invest more time on promoting your reviews somehow, thats the secret.

It all stems from my childhood, really. I've always had this weird imagination that allowed me to perceive life in such a different manner from my family. Writing was the outlet in which I could remember my fantasies and express them to the world.

But recently, I've come down with a bit of writer's block that prohibited me from expressing my opinions in music. I could still write dreams I had while listening to music, but it never felt like I was saying anything revealing or deep about the world, more so just me exploring my imagination.

Not him. In my case I write as a tool to help my learning about music.

>Writing was the outlet in which I could remember my fantasies and express them to the world.
Well in that case I'm glad you found something like this that gives you joy.

Just PLEASE don't be pretentious when you write reviews.

personally i never write completely straight faced, serious reviews. all of my reviews have some kind of joke to them and most of them are short and get to the joke quickly, but the scores are accurate and how i really feel. most critics are somewhat hostile to art because they feel having strong feelings makes them worth reading and they want to be read more than anything but I have a hostile attitude to criticism itself (even though I am a critic obviously)

anyways that's my mindset and that's why i write the way i do

Thanks. Admittedly, I have acted a bit like that in the past, but only because of my boredom getting the better of me. I wasn't entirely serious with it, but it still seeps a bit.

one more

Hey OP just want to let you know that I read through this thread and think you come across as an annoying pompous asshole whose opinion shouldn't be valued :)

Stop worrying about rym reviews, you'll only be upvoted for making funny meme comments anyway. If there's one tip tho, people appreciate it more when you are genuine than when you're articulate. Preferably youre both, but if you have to choose one, choose being yourself

I mean. Do you even like music?

Of course I do; I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't. It's just that whenever I try to write about my feelings on a certain piece, it doesn't feel as interesting.

I have never seen a good review on RYM. Post some examples of who you people consider to be good RYM "reviewers" so I can laugh at you.

Give me a few minutes.

Actually kys

People that are critics or aspire to be them are the lowest form of life

this
whenever I read any rym review it just seems like a desperate attempt at being on the front page

>claims to have seen a "good" "review"
>not even anywhere, but on RYM
[vomit internally]

Alright, here. (1/4)

(2/4)

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd

>Sup Forums
kys yourself self

(3/4)

(4/4)

>Sup Forums

Dont go down that alley. You know which one, because ill be standing there, ready to fight you in mortal combat.

>someone was retarded enough to took the time to write this
>someone was retarded enough to actually read ALL OF IT AND ACTUALLY LIKED IT

Get me out of this planet

Very easy way out, faggot

Guys, there's no need for this. Please...

>only reviews one dead genre
top kek

Those reviews are good for being unprofessional comments, but why would you care about these kinds of reviews beyond that? Most of them seem quite thoughtless, and barely discuss the music itself, saying what it did with some ridiculous amount of pseudo-intellectual context, instead of why and how it did what it did via the songwriting.
I mean come on, there's like 3 track titles mentioned in these reviews

It just seems like they transcend music on a completely separate plane via their own interpretations alone, without any interference from the burden of logic. It's almost as if they have this innate ability to give music a new sort of meaning and/or revive it, if that makes sense. I want to transcend like them, but whenever I attempt so, it comes off as "space-cadet" like, as if I don't exist in this planet.

>How do I make my RYM reviews better?
Write descriptive reviews, because if its opionated, they could just be listening to the song and check by themselfs