The Witch

I know Im late to discussion, but am I meant to understand what happened?
I still enjoyed it, looked nice, fantastic acting (mainly the father) and an unholy music score.

I feel like it would've been better just to leave it at her walking into the woods, or that scene then her alone floating.

Was there a lot cut from the film? because it really feels like there was

what don't you understand?

1. Use a fucking spoiler tag you fucking asshole
2. What parts of the film didn't you understand

Which characters went to heaven, and which went to hell?

like the whole fucking thing. So there's just witches that live in the forest that make families fall apart so they can have their young daughters? and what happened to the twins?

Twins most likely died similar to how their brother did.

so they had sex with the witch too?

it's about repent and about the father still being virtuous even after being outcast. Has a lot of subliminal christian references. Maybe stick to capeshit.

The twins had the same faith as the first child that got taken. You get to see the witch rub the fat or mush of that child into her skin. Apparently people thought that witches gained the ability to fly by rubbing boiled baby/child fat into their bodies or broom. The twins were probably on the big bonfire at the end.

I liked the movie aswell, but I agree that there were a lot about the twins and the witches that could at least have been shown more in the movie.

My problem with the twins, is exactly they are just gone from the movie, there is no visual clue or implication as to what happened to them...

It's literally a New England folktale (like in the extended title) brought to life in film form.

There is nothing to "get" or any universal singular meaning.
You either enjoy the experience or you don't.

Stop trying to look for perfectly closed character stories in the narrative.

I think the last Marvel movie I saw was the first Avengers

It has zero "subliminal" reference and zero subtext. You're told the theme of the movie in the first scene and then hammered with it several points throughout, just in case you forgot.

It's a brain dead surface level style over substance flick.

>he didn't get the movie

So were the witches the good guys? They're like freedom loving Americans, and Thomasin came from a very oppressive family and culture.

>subliminal reference

Just a reminder that symbolism is the lowest ranking artistic tool of them all.

Did the older brother sold his soul/was corrupted?
Did the mother sign the book?

I did enjoy it, I was wondering if there was something further there that I should have understood. I've never heard much about New England folk lore so what said helps

To be honest to most viewers the parents action would seem as fear mongering and stupid. But in that world where witches are a REAL fucking thing, the parents did nothing wrong.

Mother was going to hell for being a self-centered murderous cunt, she didn't need to sign the book.

I assume the eldest son kind of gave in because i was quite interested in his older sister, so he was probably all about what was gunna happen in the witch house

Exactly. If anything this film gave me a lot of respect for Christians. I expected a Christian-bashing film, because they never get old, right? And I suppose you could see it like one if you want to, but I didn't. If hell and Satan exists, then so does probably Heaven. I wonder which characters went where.

I agree to some extend. I watched the movie with my girlfriend and the movie was over we talked about it. She mentioned that she thought the parents were immoral for wanting to send Thomasin away, to which I said that given the situation of the family, Thomasin would be in a relatively good position as a maid back at the plantation, where she would be fed. I mean, between starving on a farm or serving and eating at another family's house, is really a no brainer for most people - at least in my opinion.

The mother was so counter productive and hateful towards the father, all he wanted to do was help his family and all she did was fear monger. and also fuck the twins, they made everything worse

Yea have to agree on the twins, they did nothing but stir up shit

True, she also talked about missing the church or something, which she would be able to return to. It would be better for all of them as it'd would be one less mouth to feed as well.

Same. Kind of hoped her father would put her in her place. You'd think he'd be able to control her given the time and culture. Then again she did just lose her child.

To me it seemed that only Caleb went, because it was the only one where there was any sort of clue to it. He might not have gone to heaven, but at least with him there is more of a case when with the others, because the movie touches on it in that very disturbing scene.

If i understood one thing about this movie, it's that Thomasin is a qt

your post is reddit

It might have been better for all of them, but the parents - especially the father - had too much pride to really want to go back in my opinion.

I agree about Caleb but I think William went aswell, but then again maybe not because he was basically killed by the devil

He lusted after his sister and then succumbed to the witch's temptation. However I am not sure how easy it is to go to hell or heaven. Isn't Christ supposed to be more forgiving?

Yeah, I meant it would be better for the family to have one mouth less to feed at the farm.

Why does the devil torture people who commit sins? Seems like he's kind of helping God in the way that such treatment would deter them from doing evil.

So did Phillip really talk to the twins or were they just bullshitting? and why would Phillip talk to them anyway instead of Thomasin directly, just to start shit?

And why was Phillip turn into a human, then back to a goat?

I think the transformation was in the film just for pure scare factor and creepynees.

this is probably my biggest gripe with the film, Phillip being/turning human was unnecessary and what good is writing in the book if the devil literally guided your hand for you. He could've stayed a goat and it would have been better

Was Black Phillip an homage to Patrice O'Neal?

>It has zero "subliminal" reference and zero subtext.

The fact that it's a movie that accurately depicts the earlier settlers' concepts of the horrors of witchcraft (as opposed to some modern day new age bullshit) would seem to indicate it has subtext, right, dingus?

nice b8 m8. 8/8.

Did the mother sign the book? If not why did her "son" wanted her to read it?

Wait, when did this supposedly happen? where'd the book even come from, was it mentioned or seen before the barn scene with Phillip?

What powers do witches even have? Like what made them able to destroy the animal housing and tear the animals apart?

The scene where her two dead sons appear before her and ends with the raven pecking at her chest.

Phillip is the devil, the devil has witches that worship him and fuck with peple for him. She had nothing left at the end so she joined him, It's that simple. Great film though.

Witch?

that was a great scene, I wish the Raven was shown beforehand/afterwards like Phillip or the hare. That's what kind of leads me to believe there was significant scenes cut from the film, why have the Raven on the poster if its only in one scene?

Being a puritan she also might think she had already committed a sin and was doomed to hell anyway.

Yeah probably that too.

we don't know if he literally transformed into a human or if that was just the devil's astral projection, or an illusion.

Why did the witches make it into a horror movie? They obviously had the power to kill the entire family from the start.

Came here to say this. It's clear from the beginning by the way the language is used. People didn't talk like that, but it is the way they wrote plays etc. It's a tale.

Movie made it really easy to understand how scary witches and the like was back in the day, especially how they are connected to Satan.

>build an entire house and farmstead out of wood by yourself in the middle of the wilderness while providing food for 3 kids and a baby

>get one-shotted by a fucking goat

biggest bullshit

The dad was built like a brick shit-house and had been doing hard manual labour every day for years.

Even with one surprise-gouge, as if a fucking goat would be able to take out a fully grown, strong man like that.

in real life, even if a goats horns grew at the right angle to gouge (they don't but lets pretend they do) , a goat's horns would be able to gouge a maximum of like 3 inches.
And in the gut there's no way that would make a healthy and strong guy just instantly collapse and lose the strength to hold or swing an axe.

Straight up the dad would just shrug it off and the goat would have to run away or else it would get decapitated by the dad.

Shit writing.

Good thing the goat was Black Philip then. Saves the screenwriter from all the things you just mentioned.

So is it good writing to show the axe, and have two characters mention it, and then expect the dad to kill the witch, just to have him killed off?

maybe if they lived in the marvel-verse where being possessed gives you super-strength. hur

this movie was about capiitalist witches and communism

I feel bad for the autistic and cinema illiterate. Wow.

Why didn't they have any weapons?

implying you understood it to

How can you equate a black vile literal demon goat with a common farm goat lmao

That wasn't the point. Their goal was to make the family despair and turn on each other such that they abandoned their religion.

We know they get Thomasin and the mother almost certainly signs the book, but I think Caleb's monologue was genuine. I could see how some took it as mocking though. The father, for all his flaws, was probably alright in the end. Who knows about the twins. Ultimately the witches got what they wanted in breaking up the family and turning some of them.

found the capitalist witch

What are the rules, how do the witch and their group work with the devil and everything? Bad writing

This was the real witch.

Was this the one in the cabin who was she even supposed to be lol

why do all the people in this thread keep talking about writing?
it was a MOVIE not a fucking book. Go back to plebbit you casuals

what fell out of the boy's mouth? A tiny apple? why?

Do you really want to see a scene where the devil is meeting with the witches and ends with an evil cackle?

In fairness, I would have liked a completely silent scene of the witches moving around a shrouded Satan, giving him the osculum infame.

Because she made him squeal like a pig

The kid lied to his mother about why they went into the woods to cover his father's deception by telling her that he saw an apple tree and they were going to get her one as a surprise. She was all "oh shit dog I haven't seen an apple since England". Witch was doing her a solid

Because earlier Caleb and his father lied about finding an apple tree to get the father out of a jam.

if it ended with goat analingus it would have been on a whole nother level

The movie is told from a Calvinist perspective, they all went to Hell

How would the witch know this, and how did she find such a ripe small apple?

It's a movie made for pseudointellectuals who like to circlejerk about how different they are for liking something that doesn't have many jumpscares, they like to say how they 'get it' and feel good about how they different and superior they are.
The reality is that The Witch is just a bad drama with negligible spooky elements. This is baby's first 'good movie' and is only liked by people who are just getting in to film

Sup Forums is a pleb land capable of only discussing the narrative and basing their whole opinion on it, dismissing the value of every other filmmaking element

Crabapple?

Haha, maybe it could have been the human looking version. I'd place the scene at the beginning too, if you want to know from the outset that the witches are in league with Satan. I liked the way it was done in the film though - letting you know witches exist but saving the devil for the reveal at the end.

He does it because he resents/is jealous of humanity. He was an angel who disobeyed God by refusing to bow down before humanity, because he believed that angels were a greater creation of God than humans. So it's partly out of contempt toward man, and partly out of spite toward God, but in actuality, the idea that the torture of Hell is a physical torture is not really the theological understanding. To religious scholars, Hell's torture is conceived of as permanent spiritual separation from God.

Thanks, lad. That's really interesting.

I know most of the people in this thread are just pretending to be retards, but I also know there's no real way to tell which is which and there really are some people that are this idiotic, and that makes me sigh.

>It's a movie made for
your opinion is x and y because you are a faggot

> there's no real way to tell vvitch is vvitch
fixed that for you Spanky

The aspect ratio was quite unique and actually appropriate for the narrative.

A regular 2.39:1 or 21:9 would look too modern/wide for a story like this where this format actually sets the movie in it's era and serves the story by elongating the trees even more and making the interior scene more claustrophobic.

Those witches aren't from the forest.

Think of it like Satan can bring these witches in from another plain of existence on a whim when he wants to induct another witch into his congregation. From there he'll go wherever else there are weak souls vulnerable to temptation.

what was the ratio?

you know Karl Marx lost some of his children, too
just sayin

The relationship between the length and width of the frame, as always.

yes i know that but what ratio was used 16:9? what was the ratio

>tfw no farm and big family

Dost thou wish to have your dream come true?

Yes

Kek

Nice one memester

get a bank loan and start one broseph, farming is easy as shit now, paper work and hiring migrants on the DL is the real struggle

Black Phillip is the demon Baphomet. He is depicted as a black goat who corrupts and twists women into becoming his followers and his worship was infamously outlawed by Philip IV of France back in the 14th century.

"La Clef de la Magie Noire" are words that are inscribed on upon his pentagram are actually lyrics from the unholy Sabbath the women chant at the end of the movie.

>implying there's things in the movie that aren't easily comprehensible to the non-child audience
If there's any fucking plot point you didn't get you are a stupid retard and get back to Dr. Strange threads or something

the father is literally karl marx whose family is haunted by evil capitalist witches who try to tear his family apart.

Today I'd probably prefer a homestead, but yeah that's definitely a goal I'll make one day. Just need to find a woman with similar goals and interests.

No, their other brother. The baby.