What does /my/ think of clipping.?

What does /my/ think of clipping.?

>/my/

hahahha

unbelievably bad

SHE

Good

i guess they have some potential however they haven't made anything better than average

Wriggle is their best song and that's only because I recognize Whitehouse.

People compare them to death grips but I don’t hear it

I interviewed clipping. and when I asked them if they ever thought about collaborating with DG they pretty much said never. Daveed actually threw me a little shade and said "We're making rap songs, and I don't know that that's what that project is. Part of me feels like that project got labelled rap because a black dude happens to be fronting it." Jonathan went on to say that when him and William Snipes first started making beats for clipping. that they hadn't even shown anyone, "Guillotine" came out and they thought "Oh shit, this is kind of what we're trying to do." Then when The Money Store came out they were like "Oh no, this is a completely different project."

That's their worst album

>Daveed actually threw me a little shade and said "We're making rap songs, and I don't know that that's what that project is. Part of me feels like that project got labelled rap because a black dude happens to be fronting it."
lmao what's wrong with black rappers and death grapes

Identity crisis. Trying to act different when in reality clipping’s just a diet death grips t b h.

I like both of em

Splendor & Misery is the best hip-hop album of the 21st century, possibly of all time.

this

The album I listened to sucked and their Hillary anthem was hilariously bad
It's so funny how these edgy bands always end up just being neo-liberal capitalists in the end

Nope/10

They are fantastic.

Daveed's lyrics can be very hit or miss, but I don't listen to hip hop for the lyrics. The dude's flow is always smooth as fuck, so this whole package is like a faster Snoop Dogg (though both Snoop and Daveed's lyrics are dumb for different reasons.)

When it comes to mixing/mastering, there is absolutely not a single group in hip hop that comes close to clipping. Hip hop is a genre that's full of either underproduced projects or overcompressed to the extent where the music loses definition (ex. MBDTF or some Madlib stuff.) One of producers in the group's actually studied record engineering which is why I guess they are fantastic when it comes to that.

But the real meat comes from the instrumentals to me. There isn't a hip hop group out there that makes instrumentals with this much detail. They are closer to ambient/"idm" style electronic beats than they are to hip hop. As a result they have a lot of versatile textures and dynamic play happening that in hip hop is usually far more monotone or straightforward. It's far more than just noisy samples. Like one of their tracks may dabble in using some kind of Andy Stott or Actress type ambient techno quieter percussion before becoming into something closer to traditional hip hop.

I'll never see the comparisons to Death Grips though. Daveed has far more versatile yet still conventional approach to rapping whereas MC Ride is all shouty thus is incapable of flowing like Daveed does. clipping.'s stuff is far better mixed/mastered, and their approach to instrumentals are far more dynamic while also not sticking to trying to be just raw hip hop stuff so they get to mess around with far more sounds than Death Grips. Since clipping. messes with more interesting sounds, it also results in less samey structures in the music, too.

If people go into clipping. expecting a raw hard hitting experience like DG's best stuff, they'll be disappointed. But that's not what clipping.'s trying to do.

They're good but they're way too try-hard. The obnoxious whitehouse/G.R sample, the small splashes of harsh noise, the idm influence. It feels like they're going through a checklist of everything an arty 16 year old likes without really diving into anything deep enough. The beats are still amazing though, everything says is true though and I think the rapping is great and he can go into stories most rappers wouldn't do, even if other times it's cringe

>disappointed
>Face, Guns Up, Or Die...

midcity is the only good material they have ever released