Let's have a 3x3 thread. Rate, recommend and discuss about your favorite movies

Let's have a 3x3 thread. Rate, recommend and discuss about your favorite movies.

Are you 70 years old?

>I've heard of all of these movies
>I like all of these movies
Terrible thread OP

No.

I am so sorry.

I liked The Searchers, but it is not my favorite Ford

>has two westerns in his list
>none of them is The outlaw Josey Wales
I am disappointed

top mid?

overall so solid

How about we talk about movies instead?

Anyone like Chris Marker, Alain Resnais or Agnes Varda.

Recently, I've been watching through every Steven Soderbergh film in combination with reading a book of his collected interviews. He's insanely insightful. Did you know that Contagion and Side Effects were both shot almost completely using natural light and with 3 lenses?

It was a brief moment in Strike that caught my eye, filename has the time. Also my first Eisenstein. This also reminds me to watch Happiness by Medvedkin

Marker, Resnais and Soderbergh are all my favorite directors.

I prefer Sobergergh's late career. Side Effects, Contagion and the Knick are great and surprisingly share a lot of common themes about illness, sickness, health et cetera.

His films look beautiful in my opinion.

Marker and Resnais, yes, Varda, eh. Just watched Muriel again, never fails amaze.

Top taste, OP
Which do you like best, though? TGTBATU or OUATITW?
Also, have you watched Once Upon A Time In America?

I also think they look beautiful.

In one of the interviews I read, he talked about why he so often uses a shallow depth of field. Apparently, he believes that the Digital image comeing out of Reds and Alexas are hyperreal and that by opening the lens up to its widest, it creates a pleasant softness to the image.

He goes on to say "it's hell for the focus puller but I think it makes the actors look better"

I think Muriel might be the farthest film has ever gotten. I think Resnais was an absolute pioneer and brilliant technician that has yet to be matched.

Have you seen Providence?

diff anoon, Muriel is great! I haven't seen all of Resnais but so far is my favorite. Did you see Providence? not so good as Muriel but quite nice

lol same post same digits, spoopy

Haven't seen Providence yet, just Night and Fog, Guernica, Hiroshima and Marienbad. Muriel is powerful, but I don't think it pushes film as a medium like Snow, Ruiz, Akerman, and a lot of others do, unless you limit it to things that general audiences might go see.

>it creates a pleasant softness to the image
I can definitely see this in Side Effects, Contagion and Haywire.

>I think Muriel might be the farthest film has ever gotten
I love Resnais and like Muriel a lot but really? What makes you say so?

That's a pretty manly 3x3 user. I think For A Few Dollars More is probably a little better than GBU but overall good taste.

Muriel is very special, I can only think of a few films that compare like maybe Celine et Julie go en bateau and some Straub-Huillet (mainly thinking in terms of sound design), but then 10 years earlier

I think much of cinema since the 60s and 70s has been regressive. Further perfecting things that had been perfected by 1965.

Nearly everyone I've met from film schools just wants to make thrillers with David Fincher/Denis Villenuve lighting.

I don't think there is anyone doing experimentation in nearly the same way as Marker or Resnais today. Even people in the mumblecore scene who pay lip service to Cassavetes don't seem to understand and apply his process. They just want an excuse to make boring movies about upper middle class white Brooklyn residents and their love affairs.

If you look at the respected art house films of today, which do you know that is genuinely experimental? There are some that are very polished but almost none that approach the narrative or thematic techniques of Marker or Resnais.

but why do you consider it such a great film? Be more specific or could you link some essay about it?

For me, outside of editing which Resnais was (the?) master of, Muriel lacks that something which makes me love Night & Fog or HMA.

>Snow, Ruiz, Akerman,
I'll be honest on never having watched these filmmakers but I do know some things about Akerman. What she's doing seems similar to Out 1 by Rivette.

The point for me though is that Muriel is not simply experimentation for experiment's sake, it's taking experimental techniques and applying them in a way that is thematically relevant and evocative.

Bergman was another filmmaker that did this. Summer with Monika has that scene of Harriet Anderson looking directly into camera as if she knows the audience is judging her.

Of course Godard would then take this technique and beat it to death with no thematic relevance other than his desire to show how experimental he was.

>Summer with Monika has that scene of Harriet Anderson looking directly into camera as if she knows the audience is judging her.

lol, when I started marathoning them (I still haven't had the time to squeeze in F&A) last week I started a folder named "Bergman actors breaking 4th wall" because it happened so many times

Hiroshima, Mon Amour has that opening sequence that is brilliant and then a very straightforward romance that can be evaluated to in retrospect as an analogy for the way people deal with war and how they forget the pain and intensity setting themselves up to repeat history. (that's my reading at least) but it's still a relatively normal film on the surface and a lot of the reason I think normal people that watch it think it's boring is that if you don't connect the context about the war and memory, it is pretty much a standard love story with no resolution.

I think it's a fantastic movie but in Muriel I think the analogies are much more numerous and subtle. The location of the town for instance. Destroyed in the war and rebuilt in a style that doesn't match the only town, the main character lives in one of these modernist structures that doesn't fit the town but she surrounds herself with a collection of ever changing relics. Her step son is an Algerian war veteran who is now going through things that will leave him the same way as his step mother. I think it's brilliant that the longest price of uncut continuity in the film is the son showing his documentary footage from Algeria. Then as you've already mentioned, the editing serves as this window into the disruption of daily life that war causes. (again these are all just my readings of it)

Muriel might be slightly less tightly structured than Last Year at Marienbad but Marienbad is also largely empty with very little greater political meaning. It's an experiment in memory and about human relationships which is really good but I'm much more interested in the politics and Muriel is much more up my alley.

I think Persona might be the only other movie that approaches it for a confident and brilliantly executed experimental film.

Yeah, he's pretty amazing too. A lot of his stuff is hard to watch for me though because it's so heavy. Like after watching Shame and Autumn Sonata I just had to not watch movies for a few days to recuperate.

I own Cries and Whispers but still haven't watched it because of how I think it will affect me.

GBU, but Once Upon A Time is a close 2nd. My only flaw with Once Upon A Time is that it takes about an hour until it's really clear what's going on. Maybe a nitpick, but that's the only reason it's behind GBU for me.

>It's an experiment in memory
I love the opening to Muriel where you have quick shots of closeups of surfaces, objects, sources of sound and the voice of a person. It is like 10 seconds of quick cuts and closeups.. Just that urge to try to grasp the moment and remember it and remember the next one and you already forgot one of them. The most impressive opening to a film I've seen in a long time, and one of my all time favorites.

That was my experience with it :v)

Persona was good, but I prefer the less abstract Bergman so far. Cries and Whispers made me tear up when Agnes starts to scream in agony and asking her friends to end it. What I love about Bergman is how he keeps building up his themes, stories and ACTORS film after film. Changes something little about previous Harriett character and has her play it in next film, or there's a play that might be connected to play in earlier film or something close to that and so on and so on. I don't think I've met anything like it ever before. And of course, the man could write up emotional stories and had amazing actors to back it all up film after film.

>A lot of his stuff is hard to watch for me though because it's so heavy
Bergman could really bring up the melancholy in life whenever he needed to pull the viewer's heart strings. Like when Isak Borg is watching the kids leaving at the end of Wild Strawberries.

I'm just all about the abstract I guess.

I like things with a lot of experimentation (but very little Godard).

I prefer when a film is incomprehensible at first watch or when I really need to pay attention to get anything out of it.

>I prefer when a film is incomprehensible at first watch or when I really need to pay attention to get anything out of it.

Eh, i don't have much preference with regards to this. If its good it is good.

Terra?

I'm not the guy you're replying to but I've been lurking the thread
did u delete mubi?

the seventh one, it's the seven samurais or Kagemusha ? I can't read runes.

It was so slow and laggy I decided to fuck it once I figured out how to make Trakt dark. Do you have Letterboxd?

>Is this kino?

yeah, i thought u didnt like letterboxd, do you have one now?

I've had Letter account on the side because MUBI didn't have much reviews. I used MUBI because I found the screenshots a nicer way to find films than posters originally (and still do)

/000000000000/ is my account.

if you dont know all 9 of these youre a total pleb

oh ok, followed, I've never had trouble with mubi, and they actually show a lot that's on my watch list, like a weird coincidence

have you read anything good recently?

>he thinks those pleb movies make him a patty
lmfao

Kurosawa is probably one of the most ageless director.

Seven Samurais influenced so many things, it would take a lifetime to count.

its a joke

I'm reading native literature related to Winter War and Continuation War written by a man named Halsti. A renown and respected colonel that served in both wars. He wrote a trilogy about his own life (of which 2 parts are about the second world war and its aftermath) and a three part study about the Winter War (which is fantastic). His books are amazing in that regard that you get amazing first hand account of the immediate effects and atmosphere before the war(s) and when they began. He has written a lot about it and the way he writes is comprehensive, fair, thoughtful and despite covering a lot of details and complex issues the writings not "dry" at all.

impressive stuff so far. My father introduced me to his books a week or so ago.

What about you?

forgot from the end of my post - what about you? what have you read?

My knowledge about such conflicts is very limited, but I do remember the name Simo Haya (I think).
Interested about the comprehensive insight, sounds like a great read.

Haven't been reading much lately, mainly because I'm working on theater right now (as a favor to a friend) and I've hated every script I've had to work with, sadly.
But before I was reading some John Simon, plan to get back to that after I finish these "projects".

None of his works have been translated. He wrote an essay/study about the potential wartime and what it'd mean to Finland in 1939 - it got censored. This was prior to wars here by mere months. In the essay he chose two areas as his focus - these areas would later turn out to be two of the biggest focuses of war in here. He predicted a good amount of important reactions of Russia & Finland, turns the possible war would take in the censored essay. Despite being "merely" a colonel he showed amazing understanding of war. It was quite a treat to read the essay in retrospect.

I have never heard of J. Simon.

I should really watch Beehive since you seem to love it so much.

Oh you totally should! It's only the best film of all time haha. If you do, we can talk about it, talking about Spirit of the beehive is my favorite past time.

Sad his works haven't been translated (The finn author)

J Simon is a critic, and has a lot of interesting things to say about criticism in art and how it plays with authorship.
Also very good writings on cinema (non-Hollywood also).

>9th panel.
What's that, Kramer in an arthouse film?

probably the most dadcore list ever, try thinking for yourself maybe

Seven Samurai is the most overrated movie ever made

too bad you don't like Godard user, tho I agree that he sometimes overuse his techniques, I think that most of the time it's relevant or symbolic to the rest of the plot

Good list!

b

Bumping this thread

Sorry for general board list but here it is

Spirited away

m

>Seven Samurai
is a good movie

Suck on my nuts you fuckin plebs

I've rewatched it damn near 10 times and I still don't like it. I have a theory that in order for me to enjoy Kurosawa I need to see 'em in a big silver screen

the only comedic thing about birdman is how bad it is

Separating action and adventure is retarded, as is labeling LoA "adventure"

How is Godfather 2 the coming of age story when he comes of age in 1?

>Responding to a bait image.

pleb filtered by birdman

He becomes a true man by the end of the movie. A true boss. He grew up.

what's wrong with it?

Entry level/Good/Meme
Haven't seen it/Entry level/Meme
Ok/Entry level/Entry level

Overall I give you a scrub/10

Is this the IMDb top 100 list? Watch more movies and develop a taste before you post here, you clueless pleb.

I can see the poster of Birdshit from the thumbnail.

Wrong. He becomes a man by the end of pt 1. Part 2 is about him losing his humanity.

>becomes a man
Are you two literally retarded? The entire point of the film is that he fails to become the man his father was. Vito refrains from violence, Mike orders mass murder on his first day. Vito rules by respect, Mike by fear. Vito values his family and tradition above all else, Mike uses his sons Christening as a front for murder and alienates his wife and sister the same day.

2 takes 3 hours to say the same thing 1 said in it's last 15

>2 takes 3 hours to say the same thing 1 said in it's last 15
Man, this. I dislike Godfather 2 so very much. Fucking fanservice.

Possibly, but you do realise he made other movies right ?

The praise for 2 totally astounds me. To me it's not only redundant but boring as hell. 1 has such a great variety in it's tone and content; domestic and crime drama, romance, nostalgia, action, comedy, tragedy. It's such a well rounded film. 2 hits the same beats over and over, and they're the same things we saw last movie.

Legit, 100%, agreed. Also I hate the editing of Vito and Michael's story and the rose tinted shit about Vito's criminal career

I sort of admire the great lengths they go too to hide the immoral side of the Corleones in 1 so it doesn't conflict with the character drama. Some would say it's whitewashing and immoral in it's own way to wax nostalgic about criminals in "the old days" but i think the film works better for it.

Becoming a man does not mean becoming ruthless and evil. Godfather 1 is literally a coming of age story, because Michael goes from being an innocent kid that wants no ties to the mafia to the head of the family, even if reluctantly. In part 2 he embraces his new life, and finally loses his humanity by killing his brother, he becomes evil if you will, which is what the whole 3.5 hours of the movie were leading up to.
Part 2 is not about him coming of age, the main theme is something else entirely, and if you think both films tell the same story you need to watch them again.

"Becomes a man" implies that he has achieved something admirable, especially if you say in the next one he becomes evil. I think Michael's moral downfall is completed in 1, and only reiterated and taken further in 2.

Do most people that watch 1 think Michael is sympathetic in the end? Is that what I'm missing here?

We're talking about movies now? When tf did this happen faggots

3x3 threads are usually obscure enough to avoid Sup Forums and Sup Forums posters' spam

Only good safe films?
0/10 apply yourself.
Not even a single kino from eastern Europe, come on now.

>when you watch east euro document and the reporter just starts to fuck a woman while his buddy films it

I watched all those films nice bait kys/7

Can we have some television in here too? Rate me boys

>Stranger Things
0/10

Not a good look.

quick Sup Forums gonna watch a movie with my normie family, is this a good choice? Is it good?

> no 30 Rock
Plebsis

I don't think so.

considering Juno and Demolition, from Jake Gyllenhaal, is any of those better?

Juno is probably the best of those to watch with family.

>Blue Velvet
>Experimental

Fucking retarded. Couldn't even go with one of Lynch's actual experimental films?

Thanks

you cant filly a whole list with westerns

but you should

He did something admirable though, not morally mind you, but he basically got rid of all his enemies and brought power back to the family.