So, was he a psychopath or was he suffering from schizophrenia?

So, was he a psychopath or was he suffering from schizophrenia?

The beginning of the movie was mostly indicating that he was incredibly selfabsorbed, lacked empathy and had a hard time defining emotions. Later on, it all crumbles down to him just suffering from a psychosis, with all the delusions and distorted perceptions that follows.

Was it all made up in his head? Or was it just his anti-social behaviour passed on unnoticed because of the shallowness of his surroundings?

check em dubs

What on earth are you on about, son? I can't make any sense of these digits. No sense, no sense I tell ya.

My question is why did christian bale didnt even get an oscar nomination when he played amazing

huh

There's no way to tell for sure

This is why this movie and all other movies with 'ambiguous' plots are shit

In my opinion, he's a narcissist/sperg posing as a psychopath who crumbles down when he realizes how unempathetic the people around him really are. Basically he's out of his league.

This makes sense given that Ellis admitted the original book was partially autobiography. Apparently he was a part of that scene and fucking hated it because of how shallow everyone around him was

He may have been schizophrenic, but the point is that 'inside doesn't matter'

it was all a dream

Why the fuck do these threads never take off?

This is actually a really interesting film/book to analyze without underage fags ruining everything with dubsman meme

Thats a pretty good point, I just don't want to hold it as the definite truth, since is would close all discussion about the movie. All though it makes really good sense.

In the book he actually did it.
It's more ambiguous in the film.

The point of it all is that American Psycho is supposed to be a commentary of yuppie society essentially how everyone is self absorbed and conformist.

Nice digits.

So who else noticed that Bateman and his secretary are the same person?

I mean seriously, think about it.

nice dubs

I'll show you how it's done

>This is why this movie and all other movies with 'ambiguous' plots are shit

>wahhhh there is no absolute resolution, despite the fact that is the entire point, I need my definite ending

fuck off kiddo

I do not know what you are talking about, however I would like to notify that the reptiles are behind all the worlds problems. My dog died because he chocked on a reptile, reptiles manipulate the stock markets, my wife cheated on my with a reptile, my son is now gay, gay with a reptile boy.

Open your eyes sheeple, just look into the eyes of every reptile you see, they look at you funny, they know, they judge. OH MY GOD HERE IS ONE, HE IS GOING TO.....

(nice digits btw)

If singles he was just hallucinating, if dubs his killings were real

I'd like to add (although as we've both pointed out there's no way to know for sure), that the scene near the end of the film where Bateman talks to his lawyer is misinterpreted by most people. In my opinion, his lawyer was aware that Bateman had murdered Allen (which I think DID actually happen) and was trying to cover for him after the phone call, this is why he gets so annoyed when Bateman keeps mentioning it, and why he he has such an empty stare; he's an example of the psychopath Bateman tries to be but can't, this is why he seems so unconcerned about everything (obviously he gets annoyed but he's not losing control like Bateman is). He also speaks in a really patronizing way (Bateman is such a dork, etc.) that suggests to me he was mocking him during the exchange and was perfectly aware of who he was talking to.

>In my opinion
Stopped reading there.

>complain about dubs
>get dubs

Ok.

Nice dubs m8. Now watch me

I liked this film. I liked when he said to the women to be sex and done that.

He killed all those people but no one gave a fuck

What did he do with that coat hanger?

I don't know.

Were THESE made up in my head?

Impressive

Very nice

Check Paul Alen's tho.

wow

Those are big digits.

He was an American that was clearly some kind of...psycho

My turn

Witnessed

>seven 7s

Still waiting for

IT'S HAPPENING

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING

I'M IN CHARGE HERE

Fuck my wife

Based Yugi

Bump tbf

Too bad there was no mouse scene from the book

I don't know but
DOUBLES

Explain

numbers

>So, was he a psychopath or was he suffering from schizophrenia?

it's social commentary

i can see your the problem, though

Quints say yes

Dr. KOG, I'm DubsIA

wew

what they really needed was the kosher deli scene

CRASHING THIS THREAD

very nice

BAM

Well, thank god that's been cleared up.

Yeah, reading the book I noticed that too. I don't know for sure but it always seemed like Patrick was just the beta psychopath who happened to hangout with alpha psycho paths.

Either that or, everyone was so blinded by their lifestyle that they chose to ignore how crazy Bateman was.

well kiss my grits

In the books Patrick is clearly the beta, in the film it's more ambiguous (i.e. in the film they all take his monologue about social issues seriously, in the book they're clearly embarrassed af by it)

schizo here, I think his schizophrenia lead to him having homicidal thoughts because in most cases schizophrenia cause violet intrusive thoughts and up until the end he didn't realize anything was wrong with him IIRC, so if he thought having homicidal and violent thoughts was normal he probably wouldn't see or didn't care that killing people was morally wrong

>77076844▶
>77078011
Impressive collection

Mother of god

>directed by a woman
>movie actually works and is good
Was it just a lucky combination of circumstances?

>was he a psychopath
He's a Wallstreet business man, he and all his friends are psychopaths. That's not me being edgy either, they're written to be uncaring pieces of shit especially in the book. There's a point to be made how one emotionless, self-absorbed lifestyle leads to another one, albeit more directly malicious.

>was he suffering from schizophrenia?
He's suffering from some kind of ambiguous mental disorder certainly. But while that might account for most of his murders, he does admit that he first started killing back when he was in college. I think it's possible that some of his earlier murders were real and the fantasy of doing so again took on a life of its own.

so i've watched the film and will most likely watch it again. maybe even tonight, but i was wondering if i's worth buying the book to read even though i know what happens. i know the author said that the film would never work on screen so i'm wondering if it'll be a totally different experience

>he's a narcissist/sperg posing as a psychopath who crumbles down when he realizes how unempathetic the people around him really are. Basically he's out of his league.

That makes so much sense I think my brain is breaking.
The real psychopaths are everyone around Bateman, and Bateman is just a mirror of his environment.
God, what does that make the secretary?
His conscience?

Yes, the book is really different. It has more than 400 pages, if I remember right, so there's a lot of extra scenes. It's one of my favorite books, buy it

My pocket version is almost exactly 400 pages

could be the same thing as george lucas and starwars

It's probably reasonable to feel he imagined the whole thing, but I think that undermines the real point of the story. His actions were horrific, but even worse was the fact that virtually no one around him even noticed, despite the flagrancy of his behavior.

So what's worse? The depravity of a brazen serial rapist and murderer, or the indifference of those around him who are so self-obsessed they literally cannot hear him when he speaks, or even distinguish him from other people?

checc

You script kiddies ruin everything

I'm not stupid enough to download a virus-infested dubs script off the internet.

Yes you are.

oh

very nice

kewl