youtube.com/watch?v=mfsYSPCNWCw
youtube.com/watch?v=rRmS8sO1fYw
youtube.com/watch?v=NVjSycDJatc
youtu.be/xozOG3Z3p3o
youtube.com/watch?v=rAEO3Dvugcw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

music doesn't exist

It's a rym thing, right?
All of my favorite japanese new wave and technopop artists got tagged with "Zolo".

Zolo is like zany synths, vocals in an expressive voice often sounding like yelping, angular rhythms, jerky drums and time signatures. They use it to describe like early Devo and XTC and a lot of the experimental new wave Jap bands.

>grunge

Give me recs pls

I just read a bit about it, it seems the term "Zolo" was coined by a radio show host in USA in the 90s.
Besides P-Model (the guys on OP's pic) I like Uchoten, Kidorikko, Karate Bakabon, Zin-Say... basically anything that was on Nagomu Records.
Also Yapoos and anything Jun Togawa was involved with.

all genres are memes that don't objectively exist; they're useful terms invented to describe a certain subset of music

TY based japposter

Oingo Boingo, The Units, Palais Schaumburg

I kinda don't think Zin-Say, Karate Bakabon, Yapoos/Jun Togawa really fit there

They're labeled Zolo on rym, then again, I'm not sure what "Zolo" really is. If it's about zany synths and wacky vocals, I think it fits, but yeah they're all kinda different from each other.
By the way speaking Zin-Say, shit thrower on youtube just uploaded 2 new videos on christmas
youtube.com/watch?v=cCRAtnaQ2E0

the only band that fits "zolo" is the cardiacs

When I think zolo I think songs like this

youtube.com/watch?v=eUJ_ifjKopM
youtube.com/watch?v=mfsYSPCNWCw
youtube.com/watch?v=rRmS8sO1fYw
youtube.com/watch?v=NVjSycDJatc

I'd consider zin-say and so on more dadaist than really arty, like Butthole Surfers compared to Devo

the guy who coined zolo (took the name from a zany eighties toy) considered Split Enz and Gentle Giant to be the greatest of his genre's bands
make of that what you will

youtu.be/xozOG3Z3p3o

This is like autistic Roxy Music

Zin-Say is really strange, its main influences are synthpop and technopop artists like YMO, New Order and Depeche Mode, and a lot of their songs feel like synthpop, except with bizarre carnival synths and wicked witch vocals.
I think Zin-Say has a lot of eroguro nonsense influences as well.
They did a cover of Devo's Mongoloid though.

slapcore
>like edm but when the beat is supposed to drop there's gotta be a *slap* sample instead

purple jazz
>like jazz but everything is painted purple even the piano strings and inside the saxophone

skin metal
>Nazi metal by nazis. Nobody in the band is allowed to have body hair or wear clothes

I could never get into the Cardiacs as a whole but this song is fucking amazing. It doesn't really fit the "zolo" sound though
youtube.com/watch?v=rAEO3Dvugcw

>skin metal
They musicians also incorporate skin sounds, such as soft rubbing, slapping, and raspberry noises into the music

lol

damn...

Tim Smith's frontman persona unnerves me. Like a brain-damaged toddler whose idea of play involves razor wire. Great song though.

>arctic ambient

>burning spirits
according to last.fm it's "upbeat japanese hardcore punk"

This Town Ain't Big Enough is glam rock, it's nothing like zolo. Not sure if XTC's sound would qualify, it seems to be closer to standard new wave.

Answering the threads question
>tropical house
It's just balearic beat without the punch and some pan flute and jungle animal SFX added

>microhouse
It's just IDM.

>slam death metal
Just rap metal combined with memphis rap horrorcore.

>dungeon synth
Just fantasy-themed Berlin school krautrock electronica

>This Town Ain't Big Enough is glam rock, it's nothing like zolo.
It's quirky as fuck and a direct predecessor to new wave.

>Not sure if XTC's sound would qualify, it seems to be closer to standard new wave.
listen to White Music and Go 2.

lo-fi hip hop

Gendersmash

rock

>>microhouse
>It's just IDM.

Microhouse is more like the house equivalent of minimal techno.

>>dungeon synth
>Just fantasy-themed Berlin school krautrock electronica

I wish. It's really just spooky ambient with cheap keyboards.

Brutal prog

Rhythm Crunch

Romo, one of the less successful examples of British music marketing

Harsh ambient noise

nu rave... what a piece of shit

Vaporwave