CITYPOP should've been mainstream, is there a U.S.A equivalent to CITYPOP?

CITYPOP should've been mainstream, is there a U.S.A equivalent to CITYPOP?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QZyDroIjwtI
youtube.com/watch?v=CjrInQAwacA
youtube.com/watch?v=GRC3CcJKDF4
youtube.com/watch?v=1jmOpd-VkWM
youtube.com/watch?v=opJjG06asUo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its kinda boring desu

yach rock/adult contemporary/lounge rock/derivative new wave

basically all the garbage your dad probably listens to but you have a distaste for unless it's in japanese so you don't understand the lyrics also kawaii uguuu

Wrong, I love that kind of music, the only gook music I like is CITYPOP and the Pillows. And I only like it because they took Jazz, Funk and Pop and seamlessly fused them together.

Lounge Rock doesn't even sound like CITYPOP though.

>they took Jazz, Funk and Pop and seamlessly fused them together
No one ever thought of that before.

All hail Japan, the Masters of music.

post floofy Ukyos

Stop forcing this shit you mouth breathing weeb faggot, go post about it on reddit it's more your speed. saged

Never said they were unique for doing it, I was just looking for English artists who did it the same way they did. Chill the fuck out kid.
I'm not forcing anything , you faggot. I only ever post in Soundcloud Threads, I'm just looking for some Artists that I may have missed out on.

Like, actual funk music from the 70s? A lot of shit Bruno Mars has been on from recent years? Justin Timberlake's less upbeat sounding stuff?

That image is being posted on a whole bunch of boards the last few weeks. People on Sup Forums actually think they have good taste for bandwagoning it and I can only assume it's one or two people forcing it

Nope, I got it from here

its called sophistipop

>basically all the garbage your dad probably listens to but you have a distaste for unless it's in japanese so you don't understand the lyrics also kawaii uguuu

This. I like Plastic Love but none of those meme kids would listen to it if it wasn't made by a cute Japanese girl.

4x dubs confirm.

>i know thats plastic looooove
>NOW LETS GET MARRIED
who tought of that tracklist
that transition is worse than from the queen is dead to frankly mr shankly

I see Youtube builds taste now.

Imagine being this ass ravaged over people liking Japanese media on a Japanese image board.

>none of those meme kids would listen to it if it wasn't made by a cute Japanese girl
Which is why 山下達郎 is such a popular producer, right?

go to rym, search sophisti pop
that is subjective
you are making lots of assumptions
>gook
Yeaa.... try B for this kind of post.
Music on a music board? yea thats forcing alright.
Interesting point. I actually didnt take into consideration what "meme kids" choose to do when I decide wether or not I like an artist/song. Ultimately it does not matter in any way what the reputation of maria takeuchi is or that the youtube algorithms played a role in the songs popularity.
Yes, it is a very interesting thing. I think its fantastic, I probably would never have seen Midori Takada or Soichi Terada live if it hadnt been for their newfound success through Youtube. For that I am very grateful.

not him but if they used the original cover instead of that cute picture on plastic love the video would not have the hits/views it has

>Soichi Terada
>newfound success through Youtube
wow

He only played a handful of gigs around japan when he started out. Now tours the world years later.

VAPORWAVE

That probably has got to do more with the compilation he released in 2014 that got tons of support from websites like Resident Advisor than youtube algorithms desu.

I actually found about the whole citypop thing after hearing a vaporwave song that "sampled" Bay City. Don't think youtube has recommended me any of this before.

I wouldnt say necessarily more. The track Do It Again which was misattributed to soichi is a very often recommended video on youtube, was uploaded 2013. Im not so sure the compilation would have fared as well without that upload which brought in tons of new listeners. Of course im not discrediting the value of publications like RA but the people knowleadgeable of the dance scene probably already knew a compilation was coming out.

Junko Yagami >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mariya Takeuchi

CINDY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Junko Yagami >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mariya Takeuchi

shibuya-kei >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> citypop

thats subjective mate

MIDNIGHT PRETENDERS
Also, Tatsuro Yamashita has good shit, these are popular but pretty good, check out his album "for you".
He is a big guy.

Both Terada and Takada got big again due to recent releases. Terada had a comp in 2014 that came out, and ever since Takada's Through The Looking Glass got reissued this year (and got very popular on discogs) I have been reccing it left n right. YouTube came later for these guys.

I have been into japanese 80s music since over a decade now, I'm surprised to see so many people now getting into it all of the sudden.
I just don't get why Mariya gets so much attention though, that might be a youtube phenomenon. I listened to her stuff and I thought it was just okay. I vastly prefer Taeko Ohnuki (who also became a bit popular lately as far as i saw, but not as much as mariya)

No, literally no equivalent of that, none whatsoever. Christ, weebs are such subhumans.
Also, this

but the best city pop album is made by a man

would be way more popular if it had a cute japanese girl on the cover tho

He's a big musician

I dunno man, I like stuff like Hall and Oates and 70s era Michael Jackson, this scratches a similar itch

Jpop fans aren't the same as Kpop fans.
Sure, everyone likes a cute girl, but if that was the case, we'd be having topics on the newest AKB48 (or whatever other current idolshit). Jpop fans usually care about the music, and who the producers/composers are, in fact a lot of 80s Jpop was produced by the YMO guys.

Citypop is just vaporwave for avant-teens

"Your dad listens to something therefore it is bad!! Listen to Future instead goyim"

It's just vaporwave except not derivative and shitty

>jazz is just electro-swing for avant-teens

In difference to vaporwave, city pop was made by actual musicians, and during the era when memetics weren't there yet, it was still the world pre-internet paradigm shift.

>Citypop is just vaporwave for avant-teens

Shibuya-kei had some really questionable shit (just go listen to the Spotify playlist for proof) but at least it had creativity, it's trying to DO something besides just be bullshit corporate NOTHING music. That shit's actually something to be proud of and to look up to, speaking as a Chinaman.

so i was looking for shibuya-kei music and stumbled upon this
youtube.com/watch?v=QZyDroIjwtI
so this is Tyler The Creator's secret uh?

>YouTube rec-core
>not mainstream
kek

>GUY DID YOU KNOW I AM NOT SWAYED BY CUTE GIRLS? I AM, LIKE, SO INTELLECTUAL
>PEOPLE ONLY LISTEN TO CITY POP WITH CUTE GIRLS ON THE COVER
For You is literally the #1 rated city pop album on RYM you goddamn fuckwit.

learn to read and take your pills you fucking ape

checked
gonna need a quick rundown

>would be way more popular if it had a cute japanese girl on the cover tho
>guys this city pop album that is literally the most popular city pop album would be more popular than the albums it's already more popular than if it had a cute girl

who cares about RYM, millions of people are clicking on the Plastic Love youtube recommendation because of the thumbnail, anything with a cute girl or boy will be more popular that something that does not have the eye candy, thats how it is.

Kill yourself

If having a cute girl on the cover alone is what makes people like thing, why don't more people listen to Yuuyu?

>alone

but yuyu's songs are good too
youtube.com/watch?v=CjrInQAwacA

you wrong man. this is the true city pop king. also a man though

isn't city pop just japs copying american funk/soul/pop music from the 80s?

Partly, but a lot of it has a lot of influences from YMO.
YMO influenced a lot of american music though, like hip hop and house.

speaking of YMO, this album is fucking amazing

It's more European influenced, 1970s and baroque-pop like imo. J-pop acts like Wink had a more 1980s copycat sound

Is there a Citypop chart? Would appreciate.

an user made this in another thread earlier this month

>no Moonriders

this
It's the most boring thing on fucking earth and nothing special. The only people that like it are people enamored with Japanese culture. Shame because Japan has so much great music and they choose some of the worst.

Sometimes these "city pop" threads are used as disguised japanese music general.
I like some 80s Jpop and technopop though but I don't call it "city pop".

How about some rock and roll
youtube.com/watch?v=GRC3CcJKDF4

reply to enough posts there champ?

From what I've heard, it's simple and fun music. I like it.

this, city pop is literally just yacht rock for weeaboos who want to feel superior

Wrong. It's listened to now because it's novel, people always look for novelty, the dad rock you compared it to has been heard a million times by English speakers, intentionally or not. It falls under 'more of the same' but novel in a sense it's never been largely heard before to an Anglophone audience.

"I frickin hate Hall and Oates and that Pina Colada song! Fuck you dad! I'm gonna go listen to Death Grips"

>mfw realizing how little Future Funk adds to the original music
so dissapointing

>the dad rock you compared it to has been heard a million times
I guarantee you most if not all people who use the term "dadrock" haven't explored much of rock history at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=1jmOpd-VkWM
I love Kan, his music never fails to cheer me up.

don't you put hall and oates in the same category as that pina colada song

more meme youtube recs. not that there's anything wrong with that but why do the people who make these charts have 0 knowledge of j-pop??? this is like asking for 80s english pop recommendations and no one mentioning madonna, micheal/janet, prince, bowie...

city pop is just another word for J-pop. the term "J-POP" wasn't coined until the early 90s

There's some good stuff in that chart but yeah it's like, it has a lot of obscure stuff but is missing a lot of really essential and popular stuff.
What would you say are some of the most important artists of 80s japanese music, and any favorite albums?

I'm aware of that but I thought city pop was coined to refer to Japanese pop music during the late seventies and eighties aimed at a more mature, urban and middle-class audience than the usual teen idol fare, analogous to adult contemporary and soft rock? There is a difference between Seiko Matsuda and Off Course, and Hall and Oates and Joni Mitchell got into fights with Madonna

Why the fuck would someone recommend 80s Bowie? Why the fuck would someone rec a rock artist in a pop chart?
>hurr why are recommendations featuring the best known and most acclaimed representations of the genre
Gee wiz user, I haven't got a fucking clue.

Off the top of my head some v popular/prolific artists missing
>Chisato Moritaka
>Yoko Oginome
>Shizuka Kudo
>Miho Nakayama
>Akina Nakamori
>Kyoko Koizumi
>REBECCA
>Seiko Matsuda
>Kome Kome Club
>TM NETWORK
I put Akina anyway even tho she's on the chart cause picking "CRIMSON" out of all her studio albums is an interesting choice.
Honestly your best bet when trying these artists out is just listening to their "BEST" albums first, which is basically the Jpn term for compilation albums.
For the songs that stand out to you, listen to whatever album they're originally from and then go from there
Overall it was aimed at that crowd, I believe they were the ones who were mainly buying music and helping the industry thrive at the time. Anri is one of the poster girls for city pop, and she came from the same teen idol crop as Seiko, who has quite a few songs from her 80s catalog that fit right in w/ city pop. Take a listen to this opening track from Seiko's 1st album
youtube.com/watch?v=opJjG06asUo
can definitely hear the influence.
It's basically just a fancy term for "late 70s/early-mid 80s j-pop". to be fair the term "j-pop" just made things even worse confusing tho, cause technically it's used to describe ALL Japanese music....except enka

Surprised this post isn't getting bumped.

Just because it's in Japanese, doesn't mean it's any different than late 70s early 80s funk shit from Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, Cameo, Midnight Star, etc.

All of the stuff that's "get up and clean the house on a Saturday morning" core.

who exactly are you referring to cause all the western artists i listed released pop songs in the 80s. and umm did you mess up your green text

nobody listens to 80s Bowie you fucking idiot. Why would you put him on a chart for essential 80s pop?

let's dance is one of his famous songs ever, but go off.

Truth hurts innit?

Future funk is French house for incels and redditors.

did it take you 7 hours to think of that comeback

That is literally my first post in this thread. Get fucked.

What truth? nothing hurts, my post was just pointing out the obvious about Jpop preceding vaporwave.

>retard says something's new and revolutionary simply because some japs did it
>said thing isn't new and revolutionary
>get corrected
>LMAO WHY U DON LIKE JAPANESE CULTURE, THEY'RE CLEARLY SUPERIOR IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM YOU'RE OFFENDING MY WAIFU

Weebs need to an hero yesterday.

basically any ryo fukui thread ever

>subjective
Fuck off. A subjective opinion has no bearing on the quality of the music. Stop using this word like it means anything and stop bandwagoning bullshit pop music because you're a weeb

I take it "It's always okay when weebs do it" extends outside of certain corners, huh?

For You keeps getting taken off youtube for some reason though, it'd have almost as many if not more views if that wasn't the case.

the pina colada song isnt even a bad song though

Why do you guys militate this much against weebs? I just checked, and I don't see this kind of reaction on the ever present Kpop general on page 0.
Just let people have threads about whatever thing they like. It's music, don't get triggered because it's not in your language, or isn't super popular like kpop.

>act like faggots towards those who criticize any facet of japanese pop culture, even people just saying they simply don't care for city pop
>stop being mean T_T

Wow, it really IS okay when weebs do it! Too bad my dick liked Lola better than Asuka!

>criticize any facet of japanese pop culture
I thought you were criticizing "weebs" and their ignorance, not japanese pop culture in itself.
Anyway that's irrelevant, read my post again. I'm asking why aren't you militating like this on kpop. Jpop barely have posters anyway.

Because it literally is okay when koreaboos do it.