/daily/ thread, back from the dead!

Death is an illusion! Throw off the chains of your misconceptions! Achieve infinity, you fools!

Happy new years! (soon) it is the 2nd of October, and these threads are here to encourage people to explore new and exciting music.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ik3k4FHsGhI
youtu.be/zr_iDlg58Vk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Manorexia - The Radiolorian Ooze
flippin' Moondog samples and spooky soundscapes. The music is awfully passive, though, for being so unusual. A few of the tracks were really just nothings, like "Backwards from Z" was just a low worbling tone and a few drum slaps here and there.

Not going to say I enjoyed this, but it was certainly interesting. I'm feelin' somewhere around a 5/10 for it now, but it's something I'll need to listen to more. It's too uncanny to get a firm grasp on in one listen.

first for fuck you term this is great

>David Bowie album cover as the OP image
>"Death is an illusion!"

where my /hertzfags/ at? anyone else seen World of Tomorrow II?

o also reminder that I just released an album! Everybody should check it out.

missmiracle.bandcamp.com/album/god-shivers

if you want a copy;
missmiracle.bandcamp.com/yum
fgsv-xsrq
wuhr-jscz
emed-ydsg
gr6c-7lc3
tx3c-5jds
2evq-bgwd
d8b9-wulc
vqhx-j5vw
7g4s-6rgs
x2ss-ylfl

Hope you're all havin' a good day. It's snowing where I am and is wonderful!

oops that's me

are you a girl?

Gonna see it tonight probably, I look forward to it. Rewatched the first part the other night. Forgot how crazy the backgrounds were.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing this. Is this the one you sent me a clip of a few months ago?

>Is this the one you sent me a clip of a few months ago?
Ye. Hope you enjoy the finished product :0

>

I like this better than Walk On War, I appreciate the peaceful sounding moments
I'm still not much of a fan of how much the melodies wander, dissonant or not, but I think the variety of instruments in this album makes it much more tolerable

hope it grows on you, I thought it tread a lot of ground for what it was
and of course, Ataxia kicks ass

>I'm still not much of a fan of how much the melodies wander
Could ye point out a few melodies in particular? Can't improve if I don't know the specifics.

I enjoyed the first listen. Little Perfect Stars and Make It Shine stood out to me the most. I like how dense the atmosphere in general is. Sometimes it's hard to grasp where I am and where I'm heading and some of it blends together, but I feel like that's kind of the point isn't it? Feels a bit like drowning in the music.

Did anyone else give this a listen when it came out earlier this year? I was the only one to review it in the Metal Archives. Seeing what's been put out since then I think somewhat better of it, but I don't regret my score. I am not a Nargaroth fan, but I must admit it's one of the bands that made me interested in black metal, so I guess I owe Ash that.

>Could ye point out a few melodies in particular?
I guess I shouldn't call them melodies, when it's more like a single "part" in each track that does its own thing a lot like ambient stuff i listen to. Something like Are You Listening or Escape reminds me more of James Ferraro if anything

Eve is the Freezing Sunlight and a few other tracks maintain the whole "multiple songs at once" thing, and I also notice a penchant for freeform strings. Little Perfect Stars' piano is what got me thinking the most, because I kept anticipating a return to some kind of motif (if it was supposed to be improv) but it never came.

That said I think I liked Make it Shine a lot for the samples, even if it closed off the album unexpectedly for me

>I kept anticipating a return to some kind of motif
There is a repeating motif on the album, which is actually just a two note pattern (It's heard the most obviously at the start of Eve)

Nearly all the overarching musical choices of the album were about not satisfying expectations though, so I guess that actually worked out. It does fall into the trap of "Making bad decisions for muh art" I guess, since you didn't like that aspect :'^)

Much appreciated feedback, though. I'm happy you enjoyed it more than the previous album.

Stay dead baka.

Man it has been a hot minute. Spent the holiday with my family, had a great time, didn't listen to as much as much as I would have liked but what I listened to was great.

>Reinbert de Leeuw - Gnossiennes; Gymnopédies; Ogives; Trois sarabandes; Petite ouverture à danser
Every note has huge emotional power behind it and combined with the quality of the recording it makes for a very cold atmosphere. The album goes through five different comps and each one holds all the qualities mentioned before. It's haunting cold piano jam packed with emotion. I have no clue how to review classical effectively. I liked this a lot.
8/10
>Björk - Vespertine
I have a big soft spot for Björk. The combination of her voice and the lyrics just makes me feel emotions, also me finding her while I was in high school and lonely helped. This is my favorite Björk album, the orchestration is lush and beautiful, the delivery of the lyrics is powerful, the little breathes that she does give me goosebumps. Thats all nostalgia and bias talking however. There's some stuff here that isn't 100 but I don't care. I love it too much.
8/10
>Henry Flynt - You Are My Everlovin / Celestial Power
Reading the Avant-Garde Hillbilly and Blues Music essay helped me understand this album better. The drones in here are wonderful and the environments created are serene. The violin playing cuts through these drones and spices it up. My only problem is the length. I'm not man enough to sit through the two pieces for 40 minutes in their entirety, at some point it becomes too much for me to bare. But for the time I can last it is great. On more listens I will hopefully be able to truly appreciate it in its entirety.
7/10

Dex forgot his trip oh silly him

>John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
The start of Coltrane's legacy of messing with the rules of jazz . The entire album takes show tunes and then stretches them into play places to jazz in. Everyone who plays on here is amazing, it would not be a Coltrane review if I did not point out that Elvin Jones is the GOAT. There is also a lot of emotion here, Tyner in particular does an amazing job of getting feeling through his piano. Its an absolute classic.
7/10
>Xiu Xiu - A Promise
This is raw as all hell. The lyrics are sad and full of self loathing. The dynamics of this album are amazing, it goes from quiet moments of crying to moments of noise and screaming. The album takes both of these levels and runs creating one hell of an experience. Though the dynamics are great I do prefer the loader bits here, Blacks, 20,000 Deaths, the scream on Ian Curtis Wishlist, something about them struck more of a chord with me.
7/10
>The Mothers of Invention - Uncle Meat
Zappa has always been one of those artists that I should like but could never dig, a combination of the instrumentation and lyrics just pushes me away. This didn't change my opinion on the matter but I still had some fun here. The fusion and classical stuff on here is good, its chaotic, complex, and everything I would expect from Mothers era Zappa. That stuff is great, where this album falls apart for me is with the more poppy tracks, they bore me and feel out of place when compared to everything else in this album. This album also becomes a schlock to get through after a while, I felt that there was too much filler, but there would always be something that would perk my interest. Thankfully it ends on a strong note, King Kong is an amazing song.
6/10

>Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Cohen's voice is perfect for his music and lyrics. The lyrics are also great on here, full of emotion and story. This only lasts so long for me though. After a while I just got plain bored of this album, something about the instrumentation just made me bored and I've never been a fan of Contemporary Folk.
6/10
>Richard Dawson - Peasant
What a voice! The perfect voice for this kind of folk. This album tries to be a fantasty folk album and somehow manages to succseed. Wonderful atmosphere of fantastical lands and fantastical people. Its an impressive feat but only for a couple of the songs. The quailty here seems to shift but the songs of quailty are songs to behold. Also this starts to all sound the same after a while.
6/10

>his ratings are slowly dropping with more albums

bepis

>There is a repeating motif on the album, which is actually just a two note pattern (It's heard the most obviously at the start of Eve)
oh well that makes sense
>Nearly all the overarching musical choices of the album were about not satisfying expectations though, so I guess that actually worked out.
This was a much more approachable take on that idea, which is probably why i could enjoy it easier. I think the small moments of actual pleasantry are good rewards for listeners here.
>Much appreciated feedback, though.
np

[spoiler]i actually liked the last jedi[/spoiler]

then again i'm not well versed in star wars at all so maybe my lack of experience let me enjoy it more

TwinSisterMoon - The Hollow Mountain (2009)
>psychedelic folk, free folk

Natural Snow Building's Mehdi Ameziane goes solo, to somewhat mixed results. The folk here, reminiscent of "Carved Heart", The Dance of the Moon and the Sun's beautiful, spindly opener, is beautiful. "Carved Heart" has always been one of my favorite tracks off that album and to hear that sound expanded upon here is glorious. The drone/free folk I'm a bit more iffy on here. Solange Gularte certainly had a big effect on the drone in NSB's music, the stuff here sounds weak and monotonous compared to the full-bodied, ever shifting drone present in NSB's stuff. It's always listenable, it's just background music, something that NSB's style of drone never is.

2.5+

Clifford Gibson - Beat You Doing It (1972)
>country blues

Fun blues record. This stuff is like candy to me, and there are some elements of Gibson's sound that differentiates his style from other blues musicians of the time. His songwriting style is effortlessly and somewhat oddly poppy, all the songs have distinguishable hooks and his guitar work, while technically brilliant, has a level of simplicity to it. It makes this a really fun listen, but one lacking the emotional potency of Blind Willie Johnson or Robert Johnson, just to name a few. Recommended to any blues fan here.

3.0+

nü chart!

what's good? what's bad? what's aggressively mediocre?

Man there's a few albums I'd actually classify as aggressively mediocre, like Eminem Show, Eagles, Eagles of Death Metal and Raconteurs.

Some real essentials on here though, especially in hip-hop. Badu, Dizzie, DMX and Pharoahe Monch are all top notch and Minstrel Show is a pretty unique one imo.

Does anyone have a DL for this by the way? Otherwise it's gonna get marked off my chart... I've spent way too much time looking for it.

i think eagles are the pinnacle of "aggressively mediocre" but i've never heard anything by them so why not

and i'm super hyped for dizzie and minstrel show, been meaning to hear both for quite some time

All good except tLop

yo mind game is so good

>Space Art - Play Back
The futuristic sounds of this record (at least for its time) give me a melancholic vibe, it does sound a bit dated but these electronic sounds from space sure are entertaining enough. The drumming stand out as it does the vocal melodies.
6.5+

>Haruomi Hosono, Shigeru Suzuki, Tatsuro Yamashita - Pacific
Whenever I see a cover like the one of this record I can't helpt it but think of City Pop. Even though that style borrows from a variety of other styles the vibe is the same, this record perfectly encapsulates that soothing vibe, upbeat tracks that captivate easily, well, the last two are really cheesy.
7-

broadcast, brigitte fontaine, camera obscura and lee hazlewood, solo monk is qt too

AAAAAAAAAAA

wdhmbt

delete /daily/
ban /daily/ posters

Little Kid - Sun Milk (2017)
>indie rock, slowcore

As you all probably know considering I never shut the hell up about it, Logic Songs is one of my all-time favorite albums. It's an absolutely brilliant album, taking a genre as played-out as indie folk and making something that's as fresh as it is passionate, devout, and beautiful. After that record, which was basically Boothby's solo record, a drummer and a bassist joined in and the band became a bonafide indie rock three-piece, putting out the admittedly underwhelming River of Blood. On this record, the band took influence from Modest Mouse and XO-era Elliott Smith, adopting a more jagged, hard-edged indie rock sound that didn't mesh as well with Boothby's songwriting and vocals as the folk stylings of Logic Songs. Last year, the band put out Flowers, a continuation of the same indie rock sound done with significantly more confidence and bombast, taking on a noisier, more sprawing sound similar to Smith's From a Basement on the Hill. This record, their fourth, is again a continuation of that sound, albeit significantly more toned down. It bridges the gap between Logic Songs and the indie rock of River of Blood and Flowers, it's as rocking and noisier as the latter two albums while retaining the same intimacy of Logic Songs. Sometimes the two styles clash, and the amateur nature of the band's recording style doesn't fit this style as well as it fits Logic Songs. What this has that many other modern indie rock albums don't have is heart. Boothby's vocals are imperfect and raw, his voice cracks and strains when he hits high notes, the instrumentation is often rough and poorly recorded. This is an imperfect album through and through, and these imperfections are what makes me like this so much. Easily the group's best record since Logic Songs, and they've had a remarkably consistent run so far.

3.0+

>that kirin j callinan rating
based. he is so exceptionally fucking awful.

when a meme makes it to tv

hell yea yuasa is a god

Carl Craig - More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art (1997)
>detroit techno

Craig, under 69, his own name, or any other alias, is one of the few major detroit techno DJs I can't get into. "Dated" is a word people often use to describe detroit techno, and I can really only see it in reference to Craig's music. The substance present in the music of any of the Belleville Three just isn't that prominent in his music. It's simple, old-school, undeniably fun, just not as forward-thinking and cool as stuff by Atkins, May, or Saunderson.

2.5+

Eric Copeland - Goofballs (2017)
>outsider house

Copeland, 1/3 of experimental rock stalwarts Black Dice, puts out an outsider house album with only the fraction of the daring experimentation his group is known for. As ill-advised as some of the risks may have been, Copeland's music was based on taking risks, something sadly done away with here. There's shades of his prior work in ambeint and hypnagogic pop here, and they end up as the best moments of the albums. The actual house is somewhat decent, it just tends to go nowhere, Copeland doesn't really have any interesting textures or melodies to play with.

2.0+

Gnoomes - Tschak! (2017)
>neo-psychedelia

Bright and expressive neo-krautrock. I can't help but to compare this with Avec le Soleil sortant de sa bouche's wonderful Pas pire pop, as both explore similar sonic themes and update krautrock in a much more modern, poppy contrast. I'd definitely say the latter does it better with more of an emphasis on risk-taking. Tschak! simultaneously prefers to keep it too safe and stay in a weirdly obtuse shoegaze-based sound. It's a confusing and somewhat irritating album, but the strengths of the songwriting and atmosphere building shine through.

2.5+

i don't get the hype for him at all honestly

i kinda like "big enough" but the rest is just garbage

bum

mesarthim - presence
>blackgaze
this is amazing just for the fact that while it's not really "poppy black metal" in terms of the goals that would imply it uses stylistic cues from cheesy 90s trance and rnb unabashedly and that totally works, yes, beyond being a gimmick. they're used pretty thoroughly actually, all the synths and drum machine beats actually overbear the typically indistinct guitars. the band probably realized Robert Miles and Alcest were already going for the same sorta thing and tried to tie those together, or they just tried to beat out Astronoid for the least black metalish blackgaze release.
light 8/10

Good morning /daily/!

Showed my Serbian friends the zeitkratzer album, they loved it.

nat king coal doesnt have a dick or balls

uhhh no but thank's for playing

Let's Get Out of This Country is fucking amazing.
Drones, Travis Scott and Talk Talk are gucci.
Nujabes is just okay.

Does anyone else shamelessly use deezer? Adblock works on it and spotify annoys me
Also how should I get started here? Was thinking I'd make a chart for the new year as exam procrastination

I downloaded deezer today to listen to a deep cut from Viper, otherwise I use Spotify for streaming and soulseek + sync to google play for stuff that isn't on spotify
How does Spotify annoy you?

Make a chart of stuff you've been meaning to listen too, alternatively listen through the top two rows of this chart so you know some essential /daily/-core (people love reading reviews of those too)

The last track of Pacific is really something. Haruomi has a really strange style he goes to every now and then which really shows in that track and many others

That song is also on some other Haruomi album but I don't remember which one. I think Omni Sight Seeing?

pearson sound - fabriclive

with so many of his own tracks in the mix, at first glance I was expecting this to be kinda sparse and bland dubstep like you find on the early hessle catalogue, but was pleasantly surprised by some of the moves he pulls to keep it moving. there are touches, shivers really, of early night slugs sweetness and glow to keep it bright, as well as some retro glances to 2step and grime with the mj cole/wiley drops.

atmospheric - but I sense that whilst I'd love this live, it doesn't work so well at home, perhaps owing to how straightforward it all ends up being.

>the moves he pulls to keep it moving
nice

Those all make sense except for polka unless it's a Southern Brazil thing because we have a lot of euro immigrants there

i think he actually is, probably, given mind game, tatami galaxy, and ping pong especially being perfect uses of the medium

Just saw Fushitsusha live and holy shit it was incredible

Spotify is just so clunky and unresponsive on my machine in comparison to deezer (admittedly I have a chromebook) with what seems like a less comphrehensive library. Don't use soulseek cuz I'm a good boy who buys music

Alright I made a chart for stuff I should already have listened to + dailycore, thanks for the help borzoi

Nice this is gonna be pretty exciting

And yeah for web-applications I think Deezer is better. I also pay for my music both buying records and paying for spotify but a LOT of what I want is not available even for purchase anywhere :-(

Boi

Ask for my opinions if you care that much about the number

What should be next

Monk's Music

just scrap the whole chart and listen to Monk's discography instead

keep an eye out for devilman crybaby coming out in a week or so on netflix, it's his next show adapting a pretty famous manga

oh fuck that is so exciting
have you read devilman? im wondering if its worth it to do so before the show comes out

Jealous as fuck

I haven't. From what I heard it's probably not gonna be a 1:1 adaptation but the overarching plot and "controversial ending" will remain the same. I'll probably hold off reading it just so I have zero expectations going in.

youtu.be/ik3k4FHsGhI
Hong Kong libertarian music, weird shit.

King Kong librarian music?

I have that too
youtu.be/zr_iDlg58Vk

Bless.

I want to join you guys for 2018. Is there anything I should know for starting out?

Here's my chart for January. It's basically just metal and Sup Forumscore stuff.

hi
for starting out: get taste :{}
that's a lot of funny looking metal but some classics aswell, have fun

Awesome chart

Welcome aboard! Have fun, man

Welcome friend, can't wait to have you on!

my friend sent me this meme! hahaha what a jokester

Downloaded some Shostakovich box. Apparently it's great

too real

lmk if it is

You should know that you're gonna have a great time with this chart, lots of goodies.

Also you should get a trip once you get started so people know who they're talking to

will do bud

I'm actually reading a fictional book on Shosti (found it at the airport during my travels), so I thought it would be nice to catch up on his oeuvre

Book's cover is dank, the book itself is so so though.

The journey begins! Brazilian samba isn't my thing really, but suicide's self titled was really worthwhile (aside from the part where he just screamed and made orgasm sounds). Also shout out to "frankie teardrop" for nearly giving me a heart attack for 10 minutes. I feel like if I was emotionally unstable I'd like this album a lot more, but that clue is in the name for that one I guess

>tfw wasted my last red token on an album I already had downloaded last week
wew

perfect

>aside from the part where he just screamed and made orgasm sounds
Literally the best part

If you rip some CDs (and do it with the EAC setup they have in the wiki) you can get some more tokens. If you have a library nearby, you can borrow random garbage nobody really wants and upload that, it'll count as long as you have a 100% log and a cue file.

Hello everyone how have your holidays been

hi
better than last year i guess, not sure

Starts off good

bagina

Some reviews to keep this thread movin!

[1/2]

Don Ellis Orchestra - Electric Bath (1967)
>Progressive Big Band

A fantastically arranged jazz album that blends a fusion approach with more traditional swing-y big band. I’m never quite sure whether I’ll like the use of an orchestra in jazz but this album is a prime example of what can be accomplished with this style. Ellis taps into a lot of earlier jazz vibes, like the use of a warbly trombone and a hectic pace. These are blended into the rest of the album quite well without ever feeling derivative or unoriginal. “Indian Lady” starts off with kind of a weird swing feel and transitions gradually, adding a psych keyboard (my fucking favorite) and building off some absolutely glorious little trumpet solos. The whole thing gets into a fantastic groove, with funk drumming and an almost western music flair. God it’s such a good track.

“Alone” sounds more like it should be on a soundtrack, as it has more of a latin flair throughout the whole thing. It sounds even more arranged and purposefully pretty but that isn’t necessarily a downside. It gets to be a bit corny over the course of 5 minutes but the band lays out some funky little licks and awesome trumpet lines that keep it going. The title track is a huge jump in the opposite direction, sliding around in an avant-garde vibe. It comes out of nowhere, starting funky but ending up a bit grating.

The last two tracks are beautifully arranged but verge on a bit too pretty for me at times. There’s nothing wrong with these tracks and realistically they’re great - they just don’t live up to the high standards set on the first half of this thing.

A very unique jazz album overall and one I could definitely see growing on me quickly. Highly recommended.

[2/2]

Soft Machine - Vol 2
>Canterbury Scene, Progressive Rock

I’m not too huge on prog because I usually find it overly pompous, noodly and plastic but I made an exception for this because Soft Machine is supposedly a great psych / jazz combo. Also, Robert Wyatt is a dope musician and Rock Bottom is proof of his genius but I can’t say I got much out of Third. This starts off in typical prog fashion, with a goofy jam session and the band reciting the alphabet (actually twice, the second time later but in reverse). Kind of a hint that this band has the same irreverent vibe as Zappa.

Once the album gets past the initial goofiness though, it really gets in a groove. “Dada Was Here” and “Have You Ever Bean Green?” are both surprisingly straightforward, cozy psych tracks that really kept my head nodding. The album transitions very smoothly through a variety of styles, from the chaos of “Out of Tunes” to “As Long As He Lies Perfectly Still” which sounds a bit like a mix of 70s rock and Flaming Lips vibes. “10:30 Returns To the Bedroom” is a huge standout too, sounding like a modern jazz fusion track but in the best way possible. The band keeps the transitions smooth rather than jarring which I find to be surprisingly rare in the prog movement.

Also at 34 minutes, this just flies by. I find a lot of prog albums either drag on way longer than they should or feel like a hassle to get through. This is somehow neither. I don’t love this album to death but it’s very up my alley as far as prog goes.

new chart just in from the future -- lookin good

gooood chart
haniwa chan, thousand knives, tadaima, and dogon are all great

masturbarme para matarme...

This chart looking spicy af

Zammuto definitely carries on the spirit of The Books

Supersedure and the Insect Musicians were really cool, don't know if the insect album really was one of the first fully MIDI albums. Couldn't find any info on that-- not that it matters, the insect samples were surprising

Haven't listened to that one bandcamp album the fantaneedledrop brought up but looking forward to thoughts on it

very excited for dogon, I have no idea what to expect, and I have no idea what prompted me to wishlist it

yea the insect musicians struck me the most when I was going through my wishlist, hope it can pull off the concept

found out about woopheadclrms through tinymixtapes, surprised fantano covered it desu

oh yeah i forgot to mention supersedure! one of the best albums of that style i know. nearly as good as dancing in tomelilla

Some good shit on here from what I've heard. That Jarrett is nice if you like his style, N.O.D is prime Memphis hip-hop, Coin Coin is incredible and Sakamoto is prett unique

yeah if I like it I'll be checking out the rest of the label, gfr's coverage intrigued me

Stoked for NOD, I need more Memphis, also my brother showed me a track from coin coin a while ago and I loved it. I had completely forgotten about it until your review, so I'm excited to rediscover it.