What's more versatile for a first pedal, overdrive or fuzz?

What's more versatile for a first pedal, overdrive or fuzz?

I'm into all sorts of rock blues jazz country and indie.

Tube Screamer is more essential.

Fuzz is pretty harsh and not at all transparent.

Tbh, yer gonna want both ultimately. I would start with the Screamer.

Hello again, I am first responder, I'd like to revise my contribution with some much needed snark...

Screamer for non-Soy Boys who could afford good amps; Fuzz is for Fender Fags.

Depends on your amp desu. But I would say Tube Screamer because I doubt you have a good valve amp.

Man, Tube Screamer is no substitute for a friggin tube amp, lol. I'm laughing at you. Did you just decide that based on it's name?

wow, that variety of genres, you madman

Big Muff

I mean, that's what a tube screamer *tries* to emulate. Obviously it's just a bunch of resistors & capacitors in a box so it can't substitute for a good valve amp. But it attempts to go for the same kind of "warm breakup", at least to my ears, even if it doesn't compare to driving a real valve amp.
Also lots of people use Tube Screamers as boost pedals to complement the valves so there's that.
Besides, my original post was saying that a tube amp is what you want, but if you don't have or can't afford one you can kind of get that sound with an overdrive pedal - a sound which is much more important to what OP wants to play than a fuzz pedal can do.

Blech, for Pete's sake, NO.

At least the lad had the good sense to gravitate to a fuzz that responds to the guitar's volume knob. Shoot, if he does err and choose it over a Screamer at least he can still use it like one!

Read this over real good so you'll know to recognize a fool who's gotten all his info from YouTube.

get the palisades over a 808 desu

Overdrive for sure.
Tube screamers are great, my first pedal was a Boss Super Overdrive which I still use to this day. Get a fuzz if you really wanna crank your sound.

A B I T O F E V E R Y T H I N G

When you turn down your volume knob, the fuzz pedal sounds like overdrive, voila!

overdrive for those genres
I don't know what type of amp you have, but a good reverb pedal and an analog delay helped me a bunch so maybe consider buying those into the future

what do they even do? they barely color the sound

whichever one makes you sound like NMH, Jesus Christ

Demo Tape Fusss by mid-fi electronics

Timmy or Timmy clone. Tone-neutral overdrive. Caline Pure Sky if you want cheap; it's tone-neutral with tone knobs at 12 O'Clock. Actual Timmy if you have monies; it's tone-neutral with tone knobs at 0.
Being able to preserve the tone of your amp is wonderful.

>Tube Screamer
Shitty retard midrange boost.
>Fuzz
Really finicky and difficult to get good sounds out of, although sick when used correctly.

Get this

Overdrive is better, put it first in your chain.

Tube screamers sound like shit. Get a tumnus or a morning glory.

Hmm may take a look at this. Very comfy with a pitch pirate clone.