Will we ever discover new sounds or genres or have we heard everything the current state of the universe has given...

will we ever discover new sounds or genres or have we heard everything the current state of the universe has given already?

Other urls found in this thread:

sethares.engr.wisc.edu/mp3s/challoct.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=xcSod-sj2CE
sethares.engr.wisc.edu/paperspdf/inharmonicInstr2.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=0bNEpo7_OSE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't be stupid user we'll find far more genres. I've posted this in here a couple times, but I reckon mars and Earth will have diverging music scenes because communication between them won't be very quick so access to new music would be more limited, especially in the early years

I have tons of ideas for music that doesn't exist in my head that I can't make because of limited skill.

music is infinite

New genres will continue being born, even if it's super niche bandcamp stuff. Whether we'll get an entirely new tradition as with introduction of the synthesizer is hard to tell, but I'd say yes.

WHY DO YOU CONTINUOUSLY MOCK MY EXISTENCE LIKE SAILS MOCK THE WINDS!

I'm not even gonna do it. Here, read the thread.

Is you forcing this meme ironic or post-ironic or what? I can't tell

>but I reckon mars and Earth will have diverging music scenes
hey /r/futurology. why the fuck would humans want to live on mars? real life isn't like The Expanse.

I dunno people seem like they want to

12 NOTES

Do you by chance know someone by the name of Patrick?

its amazing aint it

Because they can.

No. We have the power to manipulate waveforms directly, meaning that we can make music using all sorts of unheard-of timbres.

?

That made me excited

there will probably be something in the 2030s if you can stay alive that long

how do we make these waveforms user

Analog and digital synthesisers user

why havent these unhead of sounds been made yet though? synths have been around for ages user

hand drawing/manipulating waveforms is very difficult on a practical level and it's hard to do it without making difficult sounding noises (see Nick Forte - Primordial Forms if you're curious). You can do it in Audacity if you're curious, but I think there's a lot of stuff that we still won't be able to do there without greater technical assistance

check this out
sethares.engr.wisc.edu/mp3s/challoct.mp3
This guy constructed a waveform that has its overtone at an octave + 1 semitone, meaning that the octave interval (the first interval) sounds dissonant but octave + 1 semitone sounds consonant (the second interval). Granted, the actual timbre sounds ugly as hell but i'm sure it can be modified into something more pleasant.

The same guy constructed something called a hyperpiano which has 12TET wherein each octave is 2400 cents rather than 1200.
youtube.com/watch?v=xcSod-sj2CE
sethares.engr.wisc.edu/paperspdf/inharmonicInstr2.pdf

NOW we train ai to make these waveform for us

oh and here's what it actually sounds like
youtube.com/watch?v=0bNEpo7_OSE

That sounds horrifying.

It's like if an out of tune harp, guitar, and piano had an orgy. I think it's gorgeous in its own semi-unsettling way