Other urls found in this thread:

hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/ct-v70.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=kRkYm0iSPEk
youtube.com/watch?v=7lP5n2uQPUA
youtube.com/watch?v=LJpx-5eBTYI
youtube.com/watch?v=oUHHufZuvio
youtube.com/watch?v=LA14wI2W2EE
youtube.com/watch?v=jMQZlPAuuXM
deathbombarc.bigcartel.com/product/death-grips-live-from-death-valley-cassette-single
youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

my car has a cassette player so i cop some every once in a while. recently i've gotten tapes by strawberry runners, pissed jeans, atcq, blank spell, the cramps, elvis costello. i found my tarzan soundtrack tape from when i was a kid though and probably play that the most.

I might start recording on cassette cause it's the easiest to record in right?

>meal
>hank williams
MAGA amiright bro?

For the price of a quality used tape deck and some quality blank cassettes you could afford a really nice audio interface and go the practical route like everybody else.

I need more cassettes, I wish more bands in the local scene made them.

y'know I didn't mean to post this sideways but it kinda works out, doesn't it?

Thinking of starting to pick up some cassettes when I go out looking through thrift stores. Anything I should look out for or be careful of when buying them?

Bought myself another cassette deck to replace the one I had previously. This is the one here:
hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/ct-v70.shtml

I might do some modifications to it, such as replacing some of the lights and adding a backlight to light up the cassette as it plays. Maybe add in another head to make it nicer.

Also currently eyeing a few cassettes on ebay. Currently two people are bidding on it, but i'll wait it out and see.

Don't tip them upside down or they can lose the audio

Be careful with the cases I snapped a finger on one and I had to use a different mouse cause of the splinter

>sarah davachi
nice taste dude. i still need to get more cassettes. theyre cool to collect

haha nice Viper cassette

thanks dude. its even autographed. a truly wild world we live in

>IM WALKIN THE FLOOR OVER YOUUU

we would be friends

Yeah that Sarah Davachi tape set me back $50. I got the LAST copy on bandcamp and there are no more anywhere else. Not even on discogs.

kek im fucking ripped

If you have three or more in a box you need fabric between them or the static electricity will sap you

Also I forgot to mention that it's signed by her on the back

oh shit dude that sounds cool. ur a lucky lad

Yes, but mine are way more autistic than yours.

Thanks for the tips team

No I said no tipping you aren't listening

This is my collection so far. There's tond of stuff I really want that are too expensive sadly (LUM 3-Sided Tape Boxset, Depressive Silence, Secret Stairways, Valium Aggelein, Spooky Black - Leaving, older Planning For Burial stuff). Got a dubbing deck for christmas tho, so gonna try bootlegging some of them. Anyone here have any experience with Ormolycka? I want to order some LUM tapes from him, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about buying from him

Nice Phillip K. Dick bro. He's my favorite author by far

What's in the big box?

Super jealous of that You'll Cowards desu

I love shitty black metal, cheap physical music, and listening to new stuff so I have a lot of cassettes.

Shelf 2

Yeah, I own many stuff that wasn't released in any other format. Mostly demos.

A lot of Japanese stuff, as far as I can tell. What kind of music?

good taste

Thank man, Philip K Dick is fantastic, I love his short stories

how'd you manage to snag that live death grips tape?

>visual gay
Dropped

Yeah, it's all japanese.
Mostly indie rock, punk and visual kei from the 90s.
Some of the stuff:
youtube.com/watch?v=kRkYm0iSPEk
youtube.com/watch?v=7lP5n2uQPUA
youtube.com/watch?v=LJpx-5eBTYI
youtube.com/watch?v=oUHHufZuvio
youtube.com/watch?v=LA14wI2W2EE
This is my favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=jMQZlPAuuXM

Do you know any of the bands there?
I'm guessing you're familiar with Velvet Eden lol

It's still for sale here. Sadly not an actual live performance, just the name of the ep

deathbombarc.bigcartel.com/product/death-grips-live-from-death-valley-cassette-single

Probably better value to buy the Ormolycka NLDW tape, because it has that, the first DG ep, True Vulture, and @deathgripz on the b-side

I'm loving all the black metal in this thread. Tapes really are the best format for some black metal.

Really nice Summoning tapes, Dol Guldur is my favorite from them.
Planning for Burial is great. Have you ever heard any of the Destroyed Cassettes from him?
Damn that's a big collection. Everything I recognize I like, nice taste.

bumpin

Yes, I've listened to literally every single artist in your pic and I honestly can't see why people fool themselves into thinking it's good
>repetitive vocals and instrumentals
>extremely cliche and corny lyrics
I'll admit they often times have some good instrumental tracks but the majority of visual kei is garbage.
I forget the name of most the bands btw but I definitely remember G R A S S and Da'vid or whatever they were called.

Are cassettes worth collecting if I don't listen to black metal? I also hear that cassettes degrade overtime, is this true?

Yes and yes. But check this video out since it's rather revelatory.
youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

Yeah, the tape to the left of Summer Dust Demos is a destroyed cassette from this year. It's really cool, and I love knowing I own a piece of music from ond of my favorite artists that no one else in the world has heard

I have a handful myself, just "got into it" recently. I thought old albums in cassette was much cheaper and more widely available, turned out it wasn't the case.

I bought a tape deck for 10 dollars.

>Yes, I've listened to literally every single artist in your pic
Really?
Can you tell me what are the artists of the second demo counting from the right on the bottom row (yellow/beige cover), or the middle demo on the row above (left to the red one)?
Anyway, yeah, most of visual kei is garbage. Da'vid isn't one of the bad bands though, they're actually considered one of the most original among visual kei, maybe you've seen their name listed on some site, but I doubt you sat down and listened to their stuff.

Just bought a HNW cassette. I don't have a player though. I have 4 other casettes and been wanting to collect more. Was thinking of just saving up money until something for the right price shows up on craigslist or ebay. Gonna connect it to my complete hifi setup eventually. Any suggestions?

Most of you guys seem to not have THAT many, but Has a nice collection. I'll post mine if this thread is alive in the morning. I don't have any black metal. You guys have some cool ones.

My prized possession in the middle

ay ~450 and counting

any tape if stored even remotely properly still sounds fine
and see pic related for any degradation via playback - tested in 1974, still early in the cassettes lifespan

>Can you tell me what are the artists of the second demo counting from the right on the bottom row (yellow/beige cover), or the middle demo on the row above (left to the red one)?
Like I said I don't remember the majority of the bands since I haven't listened to them in years but I'd recognize those album covers anywhere, especially Da'vid, GRASS and the first two cassettes on the first row, you're right about Da'vid though I haven't given them a proper listen so my opinion isn't worth much when it comes to those guys but the rest isnt anything special, if you want good Japanese bands I suggest you check out everything before visual kei became a thing, which is basically anything from the 80s and back, bands such as
Zin-Say
Uchoten
Boowy
Twist
The Roosters
Aunt Sally/Phew
P model
Yapoos
Sadie Sads
Chance Operation
The plastics
Daisuck and prostitute
RC succession
LIZARD
Just to name a few.

Danny boy or Christmas With The Chipmunks? Both God-tier.

Unironically the chimpunks, it was my grandmother's before she passed and its a great goofy novelty. Also have Alvin and the chipmunk sing country songs on vinyl. I wish i had songs of pain and not just more songs of pain

Keith Richards actually did this. He liked it because it was portable, simple, and had a particular sound. He was messing around with overdubbing on a cassette recorder when he wrote Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

I've inherited my Dad's Grateful Dead Bootlegs. These cassettes become friends. The clunkiness in your hand, the rumble after you hit rewind, the way the sound always warps around song 3 provides a familiar comfort.

>the way the sound always warps around song 3
get a not shitty player, pleb

Three things, all of which have got me at one time or another:
-Look very carefully at the cassette and make sure it isn't warped or cracked anywhere
-Turn the spindle and make sure the tape moves smoothly
-Make sure the cotton and metal pressure mechanism (or whatever it's called) in the front center (where the tape contacts the heads in the player) is still present.

I only have one cassette and I love it a lot

what's the rarest/most expensive cassette you own?

Make sure to never rub your cassettes the wrong way

10/10 that's really cool actually. Incredible EP.

I only use cassettes to make vaporwave.

I use a sony cassette recorder with speed control. record tracks to cassette then slow it down using the speed knob, then record that back to my PC.

i have a whole bunch of tapes

1/2

according to discogs the most a cassette i own has gone for is 41€, it was Lower's demo.

it's a demo
yeah It's probably my favourite record ever, that's why I got it
I don't even have a cassette player, I just sometimes listen to it on my dad's cassette player when I'm at my parents'

bump

Just bough my first cassette a few weeks ago. It came damaged but oh well. I'll see if I can find a cheap cassette and replace the casing.

Where do you people recommend listening to cassettes?

aaron!

Is that songs of pain a repress?

My small formats collection. No clue how i lost half the cases.

I asked because I'm pretty sure you haven't listened to those I pointed out. Those are very rare demos I don't think mp3s of these are online.
The first 2 demos on the first row are from Nageki Shito, the band pre-Da'vid, and they're also pretty good.
By the way I'm a big fan of many of the bands you listed, especially everything Nagomu Records, P-Model, Yapoos, and I also like Roosters, Plastics, RC Succession, Lizard, Boowy.
I listen to a lot of music, not just visual kei. It's just my demo collections happens to be mostly VK.
I wish I had the Zin-Say demo tape, but that one is really hard to find and expensive. Pic related.

what's this? It looks cool

Don't have a lot, starting to collect more however

I need to find a good tape deck to record with. I have a really nice DD33 walkman and a few prerecorded tapes but I want to get back to making mix tapes like my youth.

as someone whos been collecting tapes since 16 can i just say how fucking cringy this is.
Tapes are literally GARBAGE low quality bits of plastic and magnetic tape, all my tapes have been kept in their cases and well looked after, ive performed numerous surgeries on a few in particularly old ones (sellotaping the ends together as the original connective tape that connects the two sides eroded with time)

i understand the novelty of tapes, but people who arent already in to tapes shouldnt waste their time, especially with how expensive and overly inflated the prices on tapes are now due to the exact demographic im trying to deter from getting into tapes

>tl;dr
stop buying tapes you hipster soyboys

but on a lighter note, what tape players do you lads use?

>1987 walkman wm-501
>previously used a DD3 and WM-2 but both succumbed to age

excuse me for trying to own my favourite recard that was only ever released on tape
never gonna buy an album on tape if it was released on cd tho

this is completely valid and not the demographic i was trying to attack with my angry post, and i think you knew that

Hehe so Cringey! right reddit?

there is nothing more reddit than collecting tapes in 2017 you fucking loser
>hehe ur mad i got this cool limited to 50 pressings RED cassette of ultra obscure japanese noise band OGUGUGUGUUUUU rehearsing in their drummers basement circa 1999

epic my man, i bet it sounds simbly ebic on ur tascam tape recorder with built in sbeaker :DD

yeah i got a deck
did a lot of autistic recordings when i was a kid
might self-release on cassette, not sure what though as there are so many fine labels
i kept/keep coke glasses&caps too kek
if the tape is sticky, it will be good only for one playing (and that only after you try to dry it in the oven) so be prepared to record on half-decent equipment
by sticky I mean that it clings to the reel it is on when you turn the other (empty) reel; i hope i made myself clear; also see this if you want to record over them, do not buy c90, do not even buy 60 minute tapes, try to find something shorter but which looks like it has a lot of tape (thin tape is your enemy)
we love you too
try to get a 90's or early 2000's sony for 40 dollars, inspect it for wear and tear etc. ideally it will serve you for 20-30 years and it's quality is indistinguishable from top of the line decks (unless you run chrome or metal tapes)
goes for too

>tips fedora

If said tape was only released on tape format, and he likes the artist, there's nothing wrong.
The problem is bands releasing tapes in 2017, those are hipsters, but in 1999, cassette tapes were still common especially if an independent band wanted to release a demo.

we get it, you voted for trump

readi have nothing against buying tapes that were strictly tape releases, but buying 20 year old tapes is literally a LARP and youre lying to yourself if you dont agree, they literally deteriorate with every fucking use/contact with oxygen

>t. someone who has been collecting and repairing tapes/walkmans since 16

>tips limited pressing

hehe

>tips DD QUARTZ LOCKING DRIVE walkman that he paid $£300 for

>but buying 20 year old tapes is literally a LARP and youre lying to yourself if you dont agree
Well, most releases that are strictly tape-only, like demo tapes and such, tend to be 20 years old or more.
Yeah, the fact they deteriorate with use sucks, but I have a lot of 20 year old demos that still sound good.
I ripped my tapes so I only listen to them on .WAV (or mp3 if I'm on the go), So I only really keep them because of the jackets and inserts, I don't play the tapes themselves more than once.

>rips tape to pc
good man, and yes i know most exclusive tape releases are 20 plus years old but half of this thread is hipsters with their 2015 onward new pressings, which i find utterly baffling

i have a black sabbath s/t cassette from 1970 which still sounds very good, albeit a bit wobbly, but certainly faired better than some of my smiths tapes

400+ black metal, dark ambient, noise tapes, not counting the box sets. I rarely buy them any more. Far too much tourism/consumerism in the funderground nowadays.

what's your favourite tape?
what's the most expensive tape you own?

I like buying cheap cassettes for my walkman I bought second hand

What are your most valued tapes? Got anything particularly rare?
You got any good noise box-sets?

cassette autist here. i have hundreds at this point. pickings used to be better 10 years ago; now more thrift stores seem to be chucking their tapes straight in the garbage.

i can get them for 25/50 cents each so no reason not to rescue them; usually they sound great

Filthy Huns - Leopard on my Right

Some biker and mechanic dude in the Mojave (I think) that makes dusty, lo-fi neo-psychedelic hard-rock. One of my favorite records.

Most expensive that i've paid for: Occulto Mortualia – Memoriam Ad Umbrae (consecrated edition)
Most expensive according to discogs sales records: Malefica - Black Magic
Cost/monetary value aside, these are two of my favorite tapes. Ritual ambient is my preferred genre. Some of my other favorite artists in the genre that I have tapes of are Mons Veneris, Phurpa, Æva,Dapnom / AEP, Semilanceata, Niantiel.
I think the only noise box sets that I have are Deathkey - Segmented God Plane Extrapolation and Throne - Black Jewel Sockets. Some of the weirder ambient stuff I have crosses over into noise, like Black Mountain Transmitter or Mons Veneris

turning off Dolby NR has a way of making bad-sounding tapes sound pretty decent, even if it might make the purists upset

i barely use Dolby NR especially on metal tapes since it removes all treble

My favourites include:

Spooky Black - Leaving
WESTSIDEDOOM
DJ Sound - Volume 10
Lil Ugly Mane and Sorta Superhuman - SUPASONIC
Memphis Devil Shit

Fuck dude. Nice collection, I'm pretty jealous. Where'd you get the Spooky Black tape? And how long did it take for your Orm stuff to arrive?

Spooky Blacks website. It was up for like a week and took months to arrive. 3 months after I bought the tape and vinyl I got an email from whoever was running the thing asking for an extra $35 for shipping. Was a real shambles.

Speaking of shambles, I am still waiting for 14 tapes and 2 records from Orm. He has been ignoring my emails for 2 years. Never ever deal with this cunt ever. He is the worst, if I ever meet him I am straight going to jump him.

what are your rarest cassettes fellow anons?

sage

>drive old ass car with a cassette player in it
>just got totaled
>all my cassettes are now useless
REEE WHY DON'T NEW CARS SUPPORT THIS DEAD MEDIUM

respect for black flag tape
where did you get it?