Why is Sup Forums so much better than Sup Forums or Sup Forums...

Why is Sup Forums so much better than Sup Forums or Sup Forums? Why does the average poster on Sup Forums know/care about music so much more than the average poster on Sup Forums or Sup Forums knows or cares about games?

You know I hate to sound like an elitist prick but I wonder this same thing from time to time, like they're both boards I would frequent if their base was better, but it all seems very surface level. Sup Forums and /lit/ have good (sort of) communities, and /fa/ used to a few years back. Maybe because vidya and movies that aren't arthouse-film festival fodder have so much more mass appeal? So discussion is neutered to only basic topics? I don't know, maybe not. But I feel you user, it's annoying.

Because Sup Forums and Sup Forums are unronically infected with some kind of normie cancer, which has the opposite result of what you'd expect to happen, meaning everyone is jaded and decides to call everything shit for the smallest of reasons, Sup Forums is especially guilty of this. It's just really angry cunts all the time.

Sup Forums is capable of some actual discussion about music giving out genuine criticism, you still get some jaded fucks, but they do not cover the entire board as they do in the case of Sup Forums. So those overly cynical actually add in more variety, rather than being all there is.

There's no barrier for entry on Sup Forums. On boards like Sup Forums people feel the need to justify their purchases and choice of console etc so they blow things they don't like out of proportion and are really vehement about defending the things they do own/like.

Meanwhile on Sup Forums if you hear about a song you can you just type that shit in and fucking listen to it, right there and then. There's no sour grapes or sunken cost.

I guarantee 99% of threads shitalking zelda or bloodborne or whatever are made by people who have never even played them.

People in this board tend to talk absolute shit about it, but in reality there are some really knowledgeable people here.

I honestly think that Sup Forumstants know so much because music can be listened to while browsing the catalog here or something else that doesn't require too much attention, so it's easier and less time-consuming to, say, get in touch with the Sup Forumscore albums rather than buying and playing the essential vidyas Sup Forums talks about or watching the movies and shows Sup Forums talks about.

That and the fact that academic musicians post here regularly because I suppose that for studying music you have to be a basement dweller or some shit.

Long answer:
Tv, movies, and vidya usually give you a full audio visual experience. Although themes can be interpreted multiple ways, these media make it easy to only experience them at the surface level. The same could be said about music for many people who listen in the background, but if you get into music and start listening actively, you are left to reflect on how the things that are happening make you feel, which is usually deeper analysis.

Short Answer:
Sup Forums is spergland. Sup Forums has cumulatively made like 3 good memes and now has complete derailed into a shitposting mess. Sup Forums is decaying, but not to the level of Sup Forums

The only good threads are the specialized ones (jazz, classical) which the majority do not post in. The overall quality of the board has declined significantly. Share threads are a joke now and the prominent greentext retorts are the most effeminate shit I've ever seen.

Not to mention the sheer loss of irony of the new age pop elitist. I don't know how eating Burger King is any better than eating McDonalds.

Because Sup Forums is mostly used as a shitposting board. It's what I use it for after trying and failing to talk about cinema there, and it's what everyone else uses it for. Discussion is dominated by prehistoric Sopranos/TDKR memes and arguing about Marvel/DC/Star Wars/whatever.
Sup Forums has occasional shitposting sure, but Grimes threads are just irritating and lyrics/make your own album threads are fucking lame. This means Sup Forums is forced to talk about music because they can't meme for shit.

There are a lot of people here who are full-on musicians or at least have a basic knowledge of how music works. Sup Forums is more comparable to /fa/, /lit/ and /ck/

Video games and television shows are bugmen subjects for children which require no taste or discernment to get into so they create a fake hierarchy around it

Sup Forums > Sup Forums > /trash/ > Sup Forums

Why would you say Sup Forums is better than Sup Forums? I'm just curious. I used Sup Forums until GG, I had to draw the line there. I peek my head in occasionally, and it's always complete bullshit, and any threads that are worthwhile get swept away by some mouth breather that doesn't understand open world design getting 300 replies.

There is some name or phrase to put this that i can't remember, but music usually needs to be produced while movies and video games can be sent in their entirety. What that used to mean is to hear music you either needed to pay to hear a performance or learn it yourself. Many people who are into music learn to play it themselves and despite the fact you can listen to all sorts of music today, that idea of playing music yourself is still much more common than making movies or video games is. Learning to play music gives you much more of an understanding of how music is made.

Also music theory is a language for people to discuss music and there is no equivalent for video games and film.

That said most of the people here don't play an instrument or study music.

This

I don't understand how you can think this considering a mjaority of Sup Forums is

>tfw to smart for rap

these are right. you can get into music easily and more conveniently and less expensively than video games and tv.

also i’d argue that due to the more obvious messages film tends to have (particularly when those messages are controversial) it’s going to be more controversial than music, which tends to be subtler or less controversial

Sup Forums is fast enough that from time to time you can find a good thread each day, not so much in here.

What are you talking about? Most posters on Sup Forums don't care about music, a lot of shitposting, waifu wars, memes (fucking memes is the majority of Sup Forums).
Barely any real music discussion on this teenager infested board.

And the reason for Sup Forums is sunken time, especially for television. So many year end lists for tv had shit I’d like to check out but I’ll never have the time

/vr/ used to be cool and chill now it's just people arguing about Nintendo and Sega and what is and isn't retro when they weren't even fucking there at the time.

Because music is the most accessible and least demanding art form

All of my friends doesn't care about art. The idea of making some effort for enjoyment is utterly alien to them. But they all love films.

i don't go on Sup Forums or Sup Forums but i disagree about Sup Forums. the majority of posters here are clueless plebs who only listen to what pitchfork tells them to

I don't go on either of those boards, so take my ideas with a grain of salt but:

Most TV shows consist of dozens of episodes ranging from half an hour to an hour in length. Many video games take hours to complete. A music album is generally half an hour to an hour and a half in length (obviously there are plenty of exceptions to all of these statements. I'm speaking generally here). Because the primary mode of consumption for music is considerably less time-intensive than those for video games or television, Sup Forumstants can digest more individual pieces of content in less time, meaning they can more quickly develop a broad understanding of the board's subject matter.

Sup Forums is astonishingly underage and nobody reports that shit. Honestly if Sup Forums and underage posters got reported more this place would be a tish better.

I like the slow pace of Sup Forums. Compared to other boards, it feels like people on Sup Forums are more likely to write well-thought-out posts with good grammar, possibly because they aren't concerned that the thread is going to 404 before they finish writing.

Every time I'm on here, there's at least one or two level-headed, interesting discussions going on. Since I'm mostly here to get/share recommendations with other people, the fact that there's almost always an open chart thread means I always can get the content I'm looking for.

Also, since the visual aspect is required, TV and vidya both require your undivided attention, whereas music can be conveniently listened to while walking down the street, driving a car, etc. As a result, a Sup Forumstant can keep themselves immersed in music pretty much 24/7, even if they aren't critically examining the music the entire time. However, this doesn't work for TV or vidya because you have to be giving them your full attention in order to actually pick up the content.

There are those people, but I think they're a vocal minority. They're certainly a minority in chart threads.

This is a really good point.

That makes me think: the death of TPB may have played a huge role in the decline of Sup Forums and Sup Forums because it was the main place for getting free video games and TV shows.
On the other hand, music can still be acquired with ease from a ton of different sources, including p2p services independent from TPB.

I don't meet many people really into music in general. I have one close friend that gets it and thats it

Not true btw

Well, it depends. I personally think that movies are the most accessible.

lmao are you joking? this board talks about nothing but mainstream industry stuff, Sup Forums has a better appreciation for and capacity to discuss lesser-known titles

8/v/ MAYBE, but absolutely not 4/v/.

The average Sup Forums user is pretty abrasive and I find myself getting called a faggot for the most inane shit there moreso than any other board but I've still seen more worthwhile discussion there than I've seen here outside of classical threads.
Sup Forums's pretty bad but was always tolerable up until recently when company war bullshit's gotten out of hand. Somehow it manages to feel even more forced than console wars.

8cucks have better discussion overall but they're hard to take seriously because they act like they're better for browsing a dead website

>8/v/
Cripplechan in its entirety is basically a bunch of themed variants of Sup Forums.

it's not that Sup Forums is good, it's that Sup Forums is irredeemably bad. I don't know about Sup Forums

I would agree that more people here "care" about music than people on Sup Forums care about film, but there is still virtually no discussion here. most people don't know how to talk about music, any attempts just sound wishy washy and few people here know theory

Sup Forums and Sup Forums are far more infested with gamergate/donald trump kiddies

For the people saying Sup Forums is just as garbage, I think this thread is a good example of how we can have meaningful discussion here.

Sup Forums thrives on being very slightly contrarian. the music scene is extremely fractured at the moment, so there isn't any one thing to rebel against. mainstream top 40 music isn't on the radar of most people with even a passing interest in music, and there's a huge, lucrative indie/pitchfork/whatever scene going on, so Sup Forums can present itself as different while still being really accessible/being an extremely active board

with Sup Forums the bar for contrarianism is even lower. most normal literally just watch game of thrones and whatever's on netflix. so for Sup Forums the low effort contrarianism is satisfied just by making 50 posts about batman v superman every day. most people on Sup Forums don't go to the cinema (look at the recent surge in blade runner threads now that you can pirate it). that means it's difficult to really have active discussion about anything other than blockbusters or seminal classics

It's a /qa/ thread not a Sup Forums thread

>mainstream top 40 music isn't on the radar of most people with even a passing interest in music, and there's a huge, lucrative indie/pitchfork/whatever scene going on, so Sup Forums can present itself as different while still being really accessible/being an extremely active board
you're 8 years too late with this analysis friend

how?

indie is dead and p4k has been about top 40 worship ever since they got bought by conde nast

Most of you children - and that's who predominantly use Sup Forums - circlejerk the same Indie Rock and Emo Rap albums ad naseum, with little to no discussion about composition. You faggots think Sup Forums is awful because they actually HAVE a sense of humor.

This board is on the intellectual and cultural level of a day care for retarded toddlers.

>conde nast
wasn't that like last year

I don't really pay that much attention to pitchfork but there are, obviously, only 40 spots in the top 40 and they get taken up by only a handful of artists. that's kind of the point I'm making - there's a lot of extremely popular music out there that technically isn't top 40, so people can feel special for liking it. shit like fever ray, king krule etc from this year - not top 40, very popular and probably a hit on pitchfork and similar websites

?