This is supposedly Marvel's riskiest film

>this is supposedly Marvel's riskiest film

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/article_20406_5-reasons-superhero-movies-are-bubble-that-will-soon-burst.html
youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>family friendly space opera set to cliche pop songs

What a risk!

Remember when DC tried the same thing with Green Lantern and it flopped horribly?

It's a property that even a lot of comic readers don't bother with.
In a line filled with A-List superheroes, this is a D or lower.

I guess it's the least well known Comic (and not the """"popular"""" line up)

Then again it's a comic book where only 100 people even read anyway

Iron man 1 was the riskiest

>2 years later and Sup Forums is still butthurt over this movie

Spider-Man and (maybe) Wolverine are the only A list marvel characters

(Perhaps Hulk too)

>based on a pretty obscure comic book most normies probably some inkling of who Captain America or Iron Man was before their movies came out. I doubt most comic nerds cared about Star Lord or Groot.
>the action hero lead was at the time most known for playing a fat retard on a sitcom
>the space genre was pretty much dead at that point aside from the JJTrek films

Yeah, I'd say it was pretty risky.

At least we know Marvel's really good at recycling their plotlines to churn out more kid's movies

>Quirky """"""""off-beat"""""" humor, meta to an extent
>80s pop music
>MC is a humored slightly dumb cocky guy with a good heart

No.

The "most people haven't even heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy, so the movie is a huge risk!" was a fucking meme, and a completely irrelevant point.
EVERYTHING about GotG pointed to it being a massive hit.

Oooh because the sequels coming out soon, we get THESE threads again.

I for one have really disliked Marvels efforts outside of Cap 2 and Ironman 1, and the most recent films have been forgettable (Dr Strange,) to downright bad (Age of Ultron,) but GotG was good.

Very good.

And I'm ready for the sequel to suck dick because they overcompensate, but the original was a great movie.

>meme off, you and me

How can you call any Marvel movie forgettable, and give this one a pass . . . at least make a little sense if you're gonna be wrong

>people acting like it's a big deal to make a movie on a lesser known comic

Not like Blade, Hellboy, Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim, Dredd, ect were A-List characters, most people have no idea they're based on comics. But nobody remembers that comic book movies existed before MCU.

Why do you teenagers hate fun? Do you think you're smarter than others for hating on a movie that nobody claimed to be smart? It's cliche and formulaic but still enjoyable for one viewing. Get the fuck over yourselves dumb teenagers.

Everybody trashed it's announce though
cracked.com/article_20406_5-reasons-superhero-movies-are-bubble-that-will-soon-burst.html

>no a-list stars
>property no one has heard of
>sci-fi movies dont really do well

if it didnt have MARVEL on it it wouldve flopped

this is the moment that marvel realised they dont even have to try and started putting out this as their advertisement

youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

Dredd flopped
Piligrim being a comic book is largely irrelevant to its appeal
Hellboy wasn't that good

You may believe it is shit, and that is your God given right in Trumps America, and by extension Trumps World, but the fact it is being heavily marketed 4 months out and pulled massive box office numbers is irrefutable.

>just turn your brain off

>light-hearted space fantasy romp
>likeable characters
>funny moments
>generic "get macguffin, stop bad guy" plot
>autists can't stop REEEEing about it, even two years later
Man it must suck to be you guys.

Who was the villain in that movie and what was his motivation? Can you remember without google?

All i can remember is some stupid blue humanoid who could be considered human-mutant but this humanoid was accepted by everyone as an alien. These people would probably even say that Eggman an alien too.
So this "alien" a.k.a "pretencious human who dies his skin in blue" wanted to do some evil shit because Satan and stones and power and family and shit.

You're incredibly stupid if you can't adapt to what a movie is pushing. You don't "have to turn your brain off", you just go in expecting a corny movie and then you can enjoy it as such. Please don't enter fedora territory and imply that if it's not "intellectual" you can't enjoy it- only pseudo intellectuals say this. No intellectual has ever claimed such a thing.

You don't know anything.

Pilgrim also flopped

not but I can totally remember the villain and his motivation and I haven't seen the movie in > a year

Ronan the Accuser, a religious fanatic who is angry that his people the Kree have turned their back on Kree tradition in favor of the more liberal Xandarian world view following a truce between the Kree and Xandar.
He wanted to destroy Xandar and sought the Infinity Gem to that end.
All of this was without Google.

It's a big budget action movie based on a comic that very few people even knew existed, with a lead actor who was at that point best known for being the chubby goofy guy from Parks and Rec, and the two biggest name actors relegated to playing a CGI talking raccoon and a CGI talking tree that only says one line over and over all movie.

The fact that the movie got made at all just shows how much money Marvel has made that Disney gave them that much freedom.

>pop songs
>kid flick
>talking animal

It's actually the safest MCU movie

that still doesn't guarantee a huge box office you dipshit

You're objectively wrong. Practically everyone thought it would be a flop because it featured D-list characters only comic book fans cared about. Chris Pratt wasn't established as a star at that point and most people thought it looked "too weird". I vividly remember the majority of Sup Forums and Sup Forums saying it was going to flop.

>Dredd not A list

Maybe not in America but in Britain he's pretty beloved. If you check the parliamentary Hansard there are multiple references to him in there.

It was considered a high risk movie because
>that shit wasn't cheap to make
>Chris Pratt was not a recognized action guy
>it was based on a comic book that the average person didn't know about
>it looked to childish to appeal to teens and young adults(a talking raccoon and a talking tree)

>Practically everyone thought it would be a flop

I'll take things that never happened for 500$

Ronan the accuser. He didn't like that the war that had existed between his people and those of Xandar that had killed his father and his fathers father and fathers fathers father etc had been brought to a peaceful end. He wanted the war to continue until everyone on Xandar was dead, got the infinity stone as a means of doing that.

>I vividly remember the majority of Sup Forums and Sup Forums saying it was going to flop.
Wow, I guess it's the truth then, if Sup Forums and Sup Forums said it.
The fact is that Guardians of the Galaxy was a safe movie from the get go.
You falling for Marvel marketing saying it's a risky movie doesn't mean it is a risky movie.

So all the articles in different websites and Sup Forums comments I remember reading about this becoming Marvel Studios first flop back in the day were a dream?

I slept halfway through the movie and I do remember.

So are we going to ignore this flick had a obe of the biggest marketing campaign when compared to reported budget (although not that bad when considered the actual budget)?

>a science fiction action comedy scored by 80s hits featuring a lovable team of misfit aliens, lead by a bumbling funnyman earthling
>came out not too long after the highs of The Avengers and Captain America: Winter Soldier
Wow, what a risk.
Most people didn't know Iron Man when the first movie came out, didn't really stop it from becoming a hit.

GotG is a fun movie to watch with your friends or family, and that's all it's meant to be.

Now if we're talking straight up Marvel movies, and not Disney Marvel, then this is the riskiest movie.
Swearing, blood, murder, topless woman, and so forth.
Also, War Zone never happened.

No, they weren't.
But anyone who knows anything about anything recognized that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be an extremely safe movie, the characters being unknown has literally no bearing on it.

>Marvel marketing

Is this like where Sup Forums thinks that anyone who didn't support Trump is a paid shill?

It was a risky move because it was a sci-fi film. That puts people off right away. Then it had Chris Pratt as the lead. Then a talking raccoon and a talking tree as the next two most pushed characters in the advertising.

Its based off of a comic that no-one had heard of or gave a shit about.

Saying its their riskiest film doesn't mean that it's a huge make or break flop risk, but if any Marvel film by that point was going to flop, it was going to be GOTG

>it's everyone else's fault i'm retarded
>when I get valid replies I wont respond to them

Good point, thats why no one's gonna respond to it lol

>Then a talking raccoon and a talking tree
>not seen as quirky
Lmao, you're completely detached from reality.

>Talking raccoon and talking tree
>Not seen as retarded dumb kiddy shit
Lmao, you're completely detached from reality

Nothing of what you said contradicts what he said, vice versa.

Talking animals are the safest thing ever, Finding Dory and that flick about Pets made like a billion just this year.

GotG is just as safe as the rest of the MCU and you're a shill, now that we're all on the same page let's move on with our lives

Iron Man at the time was also a little risky but it had the benefit of a smaller budget, a much more known super hero, and a plot a little more grounded on realism(in that the villains include terrorists). Look at movies like John Carter, The Fantastic 4(all of them), DC movies, Jupiter Ascending, Alice Through the Looking Glass, and so forth.

>Sup Forums bogeyman
>people don't like scifi
>people don't like talking animals
>people care about knowing the comics
>implying people weren't willing to suck the shit out of Marvel's asshole following the release of Avengers
Just stop mate, you're grasping at straws

Hindsight is always 20/20. Hearing from a coworker about a new space movie with a talking raccoon and tree starring that fat guy from that one tv show, doesn't exactly sound good. But hey maybe you should go work for Hollywood because you know exactly what makes money and what doesn't.

>Green
>same thing
Bullshit, GL is suppose to be Training Day in space, most of the movie took place on earth

That movie was actually risky though

>people only heard about this movie through poorly-phrased word-of-mouth
Not him but your argument is fallacious. The movie had a massive marketing budget and the ads and trailers were everywhere, on TV, on the internet, in the previews for other movies, etc. It looked both hilarious and visually stunning to the general public.

Everyone went into GotG expecting "millenial Star Wars with Bradley Cooper the crazy raccoon" and that's pretty much exactly what they got.

read this

>its in space and has other planets therefor its new star wars
when will this meme end? Its not an original property, its nothing like star wars, it has no relative influence.

Not everyone is glued to the tv or internet and even then the first impression is exactly that a space movie with a talking raccoon and tree. Look at the phantom meance that movie was a box office success because of the name alone but it was a critical bomb. As for word of mouth that's actually how I first heard about it and thought it sounded really dumb.

A bloo bloo bloo. Get over it.

That was the perception most people had at the time, and it pretty much held true. Sorry that people tend to compare new space movies to one of the most successful space franchises.

>too weird

Nobody is so dense that they think guardians of the galaxy is "too weird'. You're putting yourself on a pedestal to feel special.

You didn't need to be glued, shit was all over the place. I think they even advertised on shit like cereal boxes and yogurt. And you can make anything sound stupid if you reduce it enough.

>this is supposedly Marvel's riskiest film

And this fellah shitted on the first Guardians of the Galaxy and he will do it again with Deadpool 2.

Even less risky. It's "faux-risk" for plebs that want to feel above marketing but aren't. Movies like deadpool are designed for these people

You're hopeless bro. You've been given plenty of example of movies that seemed sure to make money and flopped there are also movie that while successful at the box office they were critical flops(this is not good in the long run for a franchise) whereas this was based on an obscure comic book.

I dont see how, the characters are a lot less emotionally engaging or interesting. I like Deadpool but that was my biggest problem with it as a fan of both comic properties beforehand.

Deadpool was basically what marvel ever wanted to try.

Think about this, they gave Deadpool a shitty budget to work on the movie and they reached the biggest numbers in the history of super hero movies. Then they say "hmmm we can milk more of this and earn more money since the nice guy super hero is rather old" and they accepted Deadpool 2 and GotG as the second money maker.

You can hate Deadpool as much as the sperg of Sup Forums does but one thing is a fact, Deadpool established a new standard for super hero movies and is by far one of the best Marvel ever produced.

Now WHO THE FUCK IS GONNA BE CABLE?

Nice ad hom. People wanted a new space movie after Into Darkness, and the fact that this one had Western influences like Star Wars just sealed the deal. Plus, you know, the rowdy talking raccoon played by Bradley Cooper.

I'm not going to sit here and argue over your perception of the movie, I'm just stating the way the way it was perceived by the public. There are many reasons this movie had such a great opening weekend. Sorry if you can't see that.

can you be more of an obvious shill man? this movie was advertised to hell and back. What's more the marketing compaign continued after the release of the flick, which explains its legendary legs

Fuck off capeshitters.

Into Darkness came out in 2013 and Guardians in 2014. You do know it takes more than 1 year to make a movie? If its true that people wanted more space movies after Darkness then it's pure luck for Guardians that that movie did well.

How am I shill? I'm not even defending the movie or marvel we're debating the market.

There's a little thing called anticipation of demand. The people at Marvel aren't stupid; they plan releases well in advance so people don't get burned out on one type of movie. People had their fill of neo-Star Trek, and GotG didn't have the same perceived barrier to entry that Star Trek did with it's massive volume of lore. They had every reason to think GotG would be successful. Not sure why you don't understand this.

what is the point of this post? what is its message?

Could any of the capefans here recommend me one single good capemovie? Every single one I've seen has been shit.

It's because you're a dime-a-dozen pseudo-intellectual teenager that tries too hard.

Man of Steel

>le quirky "o no she di-uhnt" tier humour
>Really really fucking forced ISN'T HE FUNNY? humour
>swearing in an over exagerated way is somehow funny
>NEGASONIC WHAT THE SHIT

Fucking top tier there.

Catwoman

BvShit

it was risky because only hard core comic fans knew these charecters

Deadpool is literally Lelddit tier

He appeals to the same sort of people who like the Underworld movies. who aren't particularly intelligent, who think that the virtue of having a film be an 18 somehow makes it good in of itself. Who think that violence + obnoxious overly childish character is somehow a recipe for greatness.

The kind of people who think the Purge is a good film and come up with plans for what they'd do if they were in the Purge. Who have zombie survival plans.

Anytime I see a movie, spend 100$ on the night (kids) and don't feel like I was gang raped (Civil War)

I'll probably see it's sequel. I'll probably walk out with my asshole intact too!

>DCU: let's take little known characters like Guardians did and make a movie out of it.
> Also lets shove in random pop songs because it worked for giardians
> Lastly lets put in our most popular hero and our most popular villain and female villain.

Still failed hard Kek.