Armond White DESTROYS La La Land

>In this sense, La La Land continues in the inauthentic mode that Millennials inherited after the indie film movement sank under the wright of its own narcissism. This is often the hidden subject of Paul Thomas Anderson’s films — specifically his quasi-musical Punch Drunk Love. But La La Land also imitates the snarky genre pastiche of Quentin Tarantino’s neo-noirs. But Chazelle’s overture to road rage is unconvincing because it lacks profanity, violence, and aggression — the realistic urban-trash texture that, as filtered through junk movies, inspired the undeniably proficient Tarantino, the first film-buff director to idiotically repeat film history. Chazelle is false to his own premise; he lacks both Tarantino’s idiosyncrasy and Demy’s Franco-American sophistication. (La La Land’s attempts at matching color schemes offend the memory of Demy’s visually harmonized emotions and his high aestheticism in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. This junk is more like the now-forgotten silent atrocity The Artist.) Plus, the charmless Stone and Gosling and the smug John Legend sing and dance without grace. How awful is all this? La La Land makes one long for a Quentin Tarantino musical.

How will nu-Sup Forums ever recover?

>In this sense, La La Land continues in the inauthentic
Stopped reading there.

It's insane just how right he is

Whiplash was a shit, and it's embarrassing seeing the director have such success

>I use big words but don't really say anything

I haven't even seen La La Land

Jesus christ how many buzzwords can he fit into a paragraphy

>After the troubled Jonah Hex project which Neveldine-Taylor wrote without directing, their gallows humor finds the basic Faust element in Ghost Rider. When John Blaze reneges on his deal with the devil, Neveldine-Taylor trace his madness to our sped-up, digital-age culture. Tarantino exploits vengeance but Neveldine-Taylor explore the ramifications of the “Lust to punish” in today’s berserk world–a criminals-and-monks allegory for how media mavens and private citizens act vengefully without humility or compassion.
Neveldine-Taylor’s moral clarity seems paradoxical given their hyperbolic, deliberately trashy-looking style but there’s old-fashioned satisfaction to the way they connect modern nihilism to a classic theme. Concerned with the preservation of human values, they express them when an angel Moreau (Idris Elba) enlists Blaze to protect Danny (Fergus Riordan) from the satanic clutches of Roarke (Ciaran Hinds). They work through contemporary decadence the same way medieval artists did. Like the Crank movies, Gamer and Jonah Hex, Spirit of Vengeance satirizes purgatory.

tl;Dr he thinks Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance is a cinematic masterpiece.

He's either trolling you or legit insane

Fucking goslingstonefags btfo, when a musical is too gay for a gay man u know its bad

>But La La Land also imitates the snarky genre pastiche of Quentin Tarantino’s neo-noirs. But Chazelle’s overture to road rage is unconvincing because it lacks profanity, violence, and aggression

>2 sentences in a row starting with But

>this guy probably has a english degree

Millennial genocide when?

I haven't seen Spirit of Vengeance, but Neveldine and Taylor are flick-geniuses. Crank movies and even lesser films like Gamer were always great social and philosophical commetaries on top of being insane over-the-top trashy action movies

>I lack basic reading comprehension

b-but reddit

He didn't say anything of substance, he doesn't discuss films on merit at all. All he does is rant about politics and resort to buzzwords. I guess that's why Sup Forums likes him so much, since they too are incapable of intellectual discussion about film

>armond hates it
Confirmed for being a good movie

Musicals are a form of mental illness

He writes like he's stringing words together and hoping the reader understands what he means instead of making a cohesive argument.

This nigger also said green lantern and jack&jill are intellectual masterpieces. Do you believe those to be great movies, because if so you're a pleb

desu he's panned a lot of "instant modern classics" that people forget about in months. He's right about The Artist, no one gives a shit about that shit anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if people forget about this. Armond White's truly ahead of our times.

Back to r*eddit yall

Armond is literally the modern-day Pauline Kael

Read his post again. Slowly.

Literally Sup Forums contrarian: the critic

Shits on good movies and heaps praise on bad ones in a misguided bid to get a little infamy from normies

>La La Land makes one long for a Quentin Tarantino musical.

fugg

>Armond White
>White
Nigger is just jealous he isn't in pure white La La Land.

Pretty much.

His schtick is that, plus being "Contrarian: the Reviewer."

He'd actually be a breath of fresh air with his reviews if 1) he could write clearly and without trying to obscure his points and 2) he didn't always go off the deep-end, giving favorable reviews only to old movies and to critically-panned contemporary movies.

As is, it's not surprise he is/was liked by Sup Forums and is all but ignored by anyone with an ounce of sense.

>yall
>Pauline Kael

Takes one to know one

I don't think he's real. It's written like computer generated text.

The redundancy is bad, but you can start a sentence with but.

t. English major.

He's not contrarian, he's just an unapologetic politically partisan reviewer.

I love Armond, but Pauline Kael was a much better writer. I can't defend .

He's not a contrarian. It's just a sad fact that the popular opinion on modern movies is mostly wrong.

>heaps praise on bad ones

Yes, that's why he praises The Umbrellas of Cherbourg in that paragraph. For further reference on how contrarian he is, check out his top 10 films of all time list he submitted to the Sight & Sound poll:

>Avventura, L'
>Intolerance
>Jules et Jim
>Lawrence of Arabia
>Lola
>Magnificent Ambersons, The
>Nashville
>Nouvelle Vague
>Passion of Joan of Arc
>Sansho Dayu

These fucking flops everyone hates.

>when dat confirmation bias hits

>a english degree

>Tarantino, the first film-buff director to idiotically reshoot film history, thinking he makes films
>more like the now-forgotten silent Holocaust The Artist
Goddamn this is printed massacre