What did Sup Forums think of this?

What did Sup Forums think of this?

i thought it was underwhelming

The soundtrack? Fuck man, I dunno. Sounded pretty rowling-y.

>fantastic beasts and where to find them
>it's about jews of the wizarding world

what did you expect from the dullest franchise mean by this?

*casts REVEALIO* *apparates behind you* nothing personnel grindelwald

It's pretty much magical doctor who.

oops, I'm an idiot.

absolutely uninteresting

What was up the the execution scene? That was so jarringly out of place. All of a sudden the government is evil and run by amoral psychotics but we're just not going to talk about it for the rest of the movie?
>it won't hurt a bit, dearie
Why does this person who looks like they work in a retirement home seem to be taking pleasure in this, or at least is very casual about it? Did I miss something from the books that would have made this make sense? It sure looks like it's going to hurt with the way the chair was being fucking burned away.

It was good, but i feel like Newt was giving off way too many Doctor Who vibes for it to be a coincidence.

>Eccentric British person shows up in America
>Is sort of a pacifist who will incapacitate his enemies through weird means
>Travels around in a small box that's bigger on the inside
>Accidentally drags a couple ordinary people into his wacky life by complete accident
>Opens their eyes to how big the world truly is
>Fucks around and causes some shit to go down
>The shit that he conveniently leads him to an even bigger thing that is going down
>He stops the big bad with his mcguffin of the day
>He fixes literally everything through some some convoluted bullshit that will never be explained
>Everyone involved who wasn't evil gets a happy ending
>Carries around a glowing stick that can do whatever the plot needs it to do

oh shit now I realize why I fucking hated this movie, thanks user

Wasn't the execution ordered by the evil nazi guy?

I thought it was excellent... at continuing the legacy of its predecessors by being one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Yeah, but everyone else was just cool with these two schmucks who haven't committed a murder or anything being executed. It just felt weird.

Newt is a fucking autist who probably gets mounted by animals, not an intentionally quirky godlike being.

I hated Dr Who but I liked this.

This is everything that's wrong with Hollywood. Fantastic Beasts is the perfect example of the modern Hollywood movie. It casts the hit Hollywood star of the minute and it's loosely connected to a wildly successful franchise. This movie was made for the sole purpose of making money. There is no other reason. Rowling, Yates, the actors, everyone... all in it for the money.

It's easy to imagine the pre-production meetings... You know, that cute tree in Guardians of the Galaxy was really popular among audiences, let's have one of those. And people really liked that dive bar with lots of goofy creatures and fun music in Star Wars, let's have one of those too. It's frustrating when I hear people call this film imaginative. There's a reason all the fantastic beasts look so cute. Because toys.

Yet again we see Eddie Redmayne overact, taking the role of "autistic British wizard" to a level not needed. There was no chemistry between any of the actors, which made for awkward moments throughout the whole 2+ hours runtime. The relationship between Colin Ferrell and Ezra Miller especially seems unintentionally predatory.

There are two completely separate plots that are sloppily connected. One of the plots is pushed so hard and is used only to create a franchise of this thing. If they focused on only the fantastic beasts instead of the bizarre possessed horror aspect with a cheap twist, the film might not have been half bad.

In the end, yet again, almost a whole city gets destroyed in the climax. By now it is beyond tiring and by my count that is how FOUR big budget movies have ended in 2016. And by what, a fucking dark cloud. The whole film, each and every scene, is predictable, features terrible CGI, obvious blue screen, lifeless sound stages, and is riddled with plot holes.

I'm starting to like this pasta. I've become like Pavlov's dog, laughing every time I see the wall of text that inevitably signals its arrival.

God help me.

>This movie was made for the sole purpose of making money

The same is true for every single previous HP movie.

And all of them are shit
You sum it up perfectly

Terrible and significantly worse than (my recollection of) the original movies

>features terrible CGI
Funnily enough my favorite part was the CGI on the black cloud monster, but I agree that the rest of the CGI was pretty bad

top tier post, thanks for summarizing exactly what I hated about this movie because I was having trouble finding the words.

why did it feel like I watched 2 separate movies that were lazily spliced together

>If they focused on only the fantastic beasts instead of the bizarre possessed horror aspect with a cheap twist, the film might not have been half bad
This is exactly what convinced me not to watch this movie. From the first trailer it was already clear the fantastic beast were going to be just a tacked on side plot that was going to be immediately swept aside to set things up for the gorillion-parts franchise

Oh good. I'm glad to hear that it's a pasta.

Between having Atlas Yawned in god tier and Huck Finn in shit tier, my jimmies we arustlin' something terrible.