Work at hotel

>work at hotel
>greet american guest with "Hello"
>they answer with "Hi how are you?" every fucking time
>asking a stranger how they are

WHAT THE FUCK america? Is this normal?

Do people just... not have conversations in yuroland?

You don't work at a hotel you faggot

you still think Sup Forums is full of neets and losers? grow up, this is like reddit now, we have jobs, a wifey and kids

?
what's so strange about that exchange?

He's used to saying assalamu alikum

That isn't something you have to reply to, it's just a greeting we use

no we don't. fuck off

>pass a European on street
>say "how you doing?"
>they actually stop and tell me how they're doing

>words have meanings
whoah

We don't care how you're doing

The autism is real, it's not a meme, whoa

>work at hotel
>>greet american guest with "Hello"
>>they answer with "Hi how are you?" every fucking time
I doubt it I and most people I know would just say, "Hi" or ignore you.

Also, "How are you?" is more like "Wie ghets?" not "Wie sind Sie?" in German. No one gives a shit what's going on in your life.

>>asking a stranger how they are
Extroverts are human garbage.

Fuck off.

>dont care about how people are doing
>therefore dont engage with them
>whoa why are nordics so autistic
i just cant win can i?

>walk in Vienna
>man comes up to me
>I say hello
>He says "he-"something
>Asks me what I think of his painting
>Tell him I don't like art
>He asks where I'm from
>Tell him Belgium
>He says he'll remember that as he walks off

Fucking Austrians

How are you? Is a common way of saying hello here. Almost every Anglo region around the world has some variation of this.
In my area it's "How's she goin'?" or "What are ya sayin'?" It's not really meant as a question.

>dont care how someone is doing
>ask how someone is doing
what the fuck??

>ask a Finn how he's doing
>he starts CRYING

Unm, don't disrespect my culture sweetie x

should you answer for these questions?

To German speakers it is. Never ask them "Wie bist du?" or "Wie sind Sie?" because they'll tell you their life story. However, if OP speaks English he should know this.

Just say "good thanks" because nobody except for fucking weirdos will ever inquire further than that, unless they actually do care and want to know (which is weird unless they know you)

Then say "I'm fine. and you?", you dumbass.
Haven't you ever read textbook?

when i was in usa everybody was too eager to talk to me for some reason

>hey how are you doing?
>hey, fine, and you?
and then they tried to find a way to continue the convo. every single time. no exceptions.

>go to other country
>lel you weirdo you have your own habits

anglo subhumans

what if I'm not fine

Well you're a brown foreigner and sometimes people are curious and want to talk to you, that's an exception. Even then they don't expect some long conversation, I'm sure most of them just asked where you're from and when you answered they would've likely said something nice about turkey and ended it there. That's how 99% of those types of conversations go, I worked in hospitality for 9 years and heard the same conversations thousands of times over

So I'm guessing you weren't in the Northeast because we don't actually want to talk to strangers unless we are trying to fuck them.

then beat him and say i'm not fine

They don't care if you're not fine, because nobody else is fine, so be like everybody else and lie about it then cry quietly in the bathroom at work later.

You can say that. I just tell people "Good" or "Good enough". Again, we don't care how a stranger is actually doing. It's more part of the brief greeting process.

Its used as a common greeting, although we normally say "hey, you alright?" or simply "alright". There's also alot of regional variations in the UK, for instance in me area we say "alreet".

i was in baltimore actually lul

i am not brown thx. everyone thought i was from northwest for some reason

so americans are not friendly. its just a facade?

i d say they are too friendly desu from my experience. but i only stayed a little bit more than a week

it turns out that it doesn't really differ from what we say here, except people don't ask these questions to random strangers on street

>i was in baltimore actually lul
It's on the border of south NE so the southern influence is probably why they behaved that way. Also, it's a crime ridden shithole. Why would you go there?

conference related to job

Btw how do you greet someone formally in English?
I guess in the morning you could say "Good morning (sir/madam)" but what do you say during the rest of the day?

Good day for during the day.

Good evening for during the evening.

Good night for the night.

Good afternoon and Good evening.
Obviously afternoon is anytime after noon and good evening usually starts around dusk. Good night is only said when going to bed

>Btw how do you greet someone formally in English?
What up m' nigga

>but what do you say during the rest of the day?
G'day nigga
G'nit nigga

In France, we'd do that too, but it's something that stays reserved for friends and people you already know well enough. Bit weird to be asking outright strangers that actually.

Also, when we inquire, the question is framed as "you doing well?" ("tu vas bien/vous allez bien"), so you basically have no choice but to say yes, or else you"ll sound like an utter weirdo.

tl;dr: it's fucking useless

And what do you say during the middle of the day?

>Good afternoon and Good evening

Yeah but see that sounds really formal to us for use in casual personal exchanges.
We're too used to "how's it going", "what's up" etc...

Good afternoon.

Wake-up - 1159: Good morning
1200-1759: Good afternoon
1800-bedtime: Good evening
At bedtime: Good night

Times are approximate

Yes, but he was specifically asking about formal greetings. In practise you are right and it's just some variation of "How are you?" anytime, although good morning is very common. Or often just "morning"

Thanks Canada bro

too friendly to the point of autism since americans have no social boundaries.
it is weird, in canada we are slowly doing the same thing with small-talking every stranger but everyone at the end just shuffles along politely.

a literal walking contradiction because it seems like people actually LIKE strangers yet americans distrust foreign things and hate having to pay for anothers shit and the media always portrays them as full of anger towards each other.

I have never seen anything that so cleanly captures the American emotional landscape.

>be french
>be rude
>tell everyone to fuck off
>spit on people
>shit on people for speaking french with a canadian accent

yeah, totally all those nice and friendly frenchmen really embodies a well-adjusted society.

get fucked cunt

It's normal here too. Being kind and pleasant is good.

it's not a facade, at least not with foreigners. americans genuinely want foreigners to enjoy their experience here because we want people to like america. any niceties you get from locals here is likely as genuine as casual conversation can be, but sometimes people take it overboard and ask you too many questions and are too nice/curious about your country

If you want people to like am*rica the solution is quite simple. Stop shitting up the world.

You're welcome

Which is another weird and regional English thing. In Canada "you're welcome" is the most common although "no worries" is sometimes said, in Australia and NZ "no worries" is very common. In America the most common is probably just some variation of "yep" or "anytime."

americans are emotional creatures.

dealing with fucking american border or passport people or airport people is a fucking nightmare because they turn from loud to bellicose very quickly.

totally different from canadian airport/border guys imo and i travel between countries a few times a month.

yeah i'll personally see to it that we stop accidentally droning hospitals. just wait a little bit i'll get on it.

I have been crossing the border weekly all my life and can confirm this.

Never say good evening and good night isnt a greeting its a farewell

Appreciate it thanks.

>Good night for the night.
You wouldn't great one with that. It's for when you are parting ways.

>american tourist asks you in what train he has to get into
>point to train
>get tipped $10

It's pretty much the same in German.
"Wie geht es dir?" means exactly the same as "How are you?, you just wouldn't ask a stranger.
The answer depends on how well you know whoever is asking, but 99% of the time should be "fine".

Yeah but not to strangers like the amerigans. If I see a friend "Wie gehts" is alright, but not to a waiter etc.

You say fine thank you.
OP you are just an autist, not even Europeans hate conversations that much. I randomly talked to Finns with better results and only got stabbed once.

>amerigun asks me to fuck his wife
>gets angry when I oblige

Why did he ask me in the first place?

they ask you how you are, and you just have to say that you’re fine, when you’re not really fine, but you just can’t get into it because they would never understand.

>American asks each other if they want to fight
>they start bumping chests

I don't know things are like this too in Austria, but I think in France, the reasoning for leaving out the "how are you" from a conversation with strangers is that to us, it's code for "we will be chatting for the following ten minutes to an hour", which you aren't very eager to have happen with a stranger.

The only acceptable time to do it with a stranger is when you're introduced by someone you two know, and here too, the "how are you" is code for "we'll be chatting to get to know each".

You want to take this outside mate?

I thought this said cities for some reason.

Do Americans bump chests in real life as well if they want to fight? Or is that just on tv?

Americans are way too social for me

Actually they do that as a friendly jesture. Black people bump chests and get into each others face really close( kissing distance)

I remember when a Hispanic black was fighting one of our blacks and as soon as our black got into his face the Hispanic knocked him back and slapped the fuck out of him.
It was fucking hilarious and they ended up kicking me out of the building because I couldn't stop laughing

I've learned my mistake with Russians. Every time I say "кaк дeлa?" You ruskies actually stop and tell me literally everything going on in your life. A simple "good" or "doing well" would suffice.

Hey buddy whatchu doin?

i want to travel to america
in Spain everyone's in a circlejerk, and interacting with people from outside the circlejerk is wierd if there arent several applied conditions and if the planets arent aligned
in South Spain the whole society is a circlejerk and the slightest difference from them gets you bullied by turbonormies afaik

That sounds fucking horrible.

its hard as fuck to make friends after you finished your education in Spain
you are almost completely stuck with a slight variation of the circlejerk you had in highschool for the most part

Kinda more like a shoulder bump when shaking hands with a good friend, would never do it with anyone other than someone you really know

In the Netherlands you usually just get a fine of a couple hundred euros if you fight with someone (without weapons and standing up). So people are quick to punch each other in the face.

Only if you fight one while one is on the ground you can get in trouble.

*fight on while one is on the ground

So wrestling doesn't happen here.

>Bumped chests with friend in college
>He brings his twink/trap friend to bump chests with us
>When the twink bumps chest with me he learns forward and kisses me

I got into a conversation with a Finn at a trainstation in Germany. All the memes about them are true.

Kinda the same here desu depending on job atmosphere

That's just a universal part of being an adult

fuck you stupid nigger kill yourself you subhuman ape no they are not

Think of it positively, you've been kissed one (1) more time than everybody else here

haha

Why are Germanics so autistic?

>he doesn't french kiss people at first itroduction

bump

In Spain we sometimes greet like that. But you are not required to answer. Or one just says: 'fine, and you?', regardless of your actual mood or 'status'.

At least in my region, that is.

Yeah that's how it is here, not sure why it's so hard for Northern Europeans to comprehend