Was it really necessary to start the first 3 minutes showing us completely nothing?

Was it really necessary to start the first 3 minutes showing us completely nothing?

>WOW SPACE IS EMPTY WOW

It's retarded, gimmicky, and ruins re-watches

>people will geniuely defend this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HRU5cM-5jlw
google.com/search?q=3 minute timer&oq=3 minute timer&aqs=chrome..69i57.1871j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

explain why you thought it wasnt necessary but kubrick did.

>you will never be this pleb

The music makes it worth it.

When this was first in theaters the space/music opening played as a prelude to the movie. The curtains opened/lights went down when the movie actually started.

>it's a /lit/ can't into kubrick kino episode

>it's an op (/lit/) has never seen a prelude/overture in a film before episode

youtube.com/watch?v=HRU5cM-5jlw

I didn't word this post very well, but just to clarify: the music isn't really part of the film, but was just used before the true opening in theaters.

Was it really necessary to start the first 3 minutes showing us completely nothing but text?

>WOW SPACE IS EMPTY WOW

It's retarded, gimmicky, and ruins re-watches

>people will geniuely defend this

So you're satisfied for the three minutes of nothing you have to endure? Nothing to discover. Nothing to dissect. Just some music and a black screen because some dopey cunt loves his "art"

Is it really so difficult to sit still for 3 minutes without movie pictures to entertain you?

Yes.
google.com/search?q=3 minute timer&oq=3 minute timer&aqs=chrome..69i57.1871j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Movies, like books and radios, are mediums where you can tell a story or invoke an emotion. There wouldn't be much of a point if a movie started with "space is big," you have to show it to the audience.

Of course, it's not necessary to do any of that, but taking advantage of the potential that cinema had is what made Kubrick so famous.

>pic related is my point

its about building the experience and atmosphere.
kubrick wanted the cinema-goer to be emerged in the film, and to refocus out of the lobby and ticketstall and ''upcoming attractions''.
also a few 70mm ''extravaganza!!'' films have overtures, intermissions and entr'actes.

i really wouldnt worry about it.

>Was it really necessary
this is cinema we are talking about kid, "necessary" doesn't exist in this world

It's the post rock of cinema

It's mandatory to have the zoom

>entr'actes
>"I really wouldn't worry about it"

You're an SJW aren't you. You hold an arts degree, don't you sweet heart?

Oh boy am I glad I'm not a pleb or have ADHD

Have you never seen the movie? It opens on Earth you dumb shit. With the monkeys.

The plot, world, ending and incentives would've been fucked without the intro

prove me wrong fags

>completely nothing

Here's a screenshot from the opening rotated 90 degrees. Looks kinda familiar.

>OMG you guise I just watched that really old space movie and it was so boring there was just music playing and hardly anything happens wow old movies are so dumb!

Have you never seen the movie?

Oh fuck. I forgot about the spooky music at the beginning and a black screen. I thought OP was referring to the space docking scene. My bad.

the obelisk?

>omg i watch new movie with arbitrary plot details occuring every 5 seconds so my brain thinks "stuff is happening" woah i have epic deep taste

Nah i agree. it sucks
but you're still a stupid nigger though OP

Yes.

It shows how far humanity has come from their ape ancestors, but at the same time it shows that we haven't changed that much behaviorally despite technology advancing. Even millions of years later, humans are still shocked and confused and seduced by the monolith, it being a mysterious entity that is so beyond our understanding that it transcends millions of years of evolution.

And when you look at the crew hiding from HAL, you see that they're still those scared monkeys hiding in a cave, hiding from the unknown dangers around them.

woah...

>And when you look at the crew hiding from HAL, you see that they're still those scared monkeys hiding in a cave, hiding from the unknown dangers around them.

I don't agree with you. When they hide in the pod it was clearly a calculated moment to try and avoid detection by HAL. Not necessarily fear, but more subterfuge.

3/10
you lost points for low effort
good image though
3/10