Are DJs Musicians?

Lets continue the debate also in 2018. I also do play some records sometimes, but I have to admit, I am shaming myself, when I am playing with some actual bands..
Hell even 99% of the electronic producers are pathetic with the "push random notes - wait for what will come" workflow..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gQlKelwPX4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A techno DJ is potentially kind of a musician because the whole genre is designed so that a DJ can kind of be a musician. Any other DJ is not a musician even arguably and I don't think anyone who actually understand what they do would say otherwise. Musicians make music. DJ's play back music.

What is music?

Is a conductor a musician?

>push random notes
>wait for what will come
What the fuck are you on about? I don't think you know what you're talking about son

Most aren't, but a very small minority are.

Not in the sense of being "a person who plays musical instruments" (although I assume professional conductors do know how to play an instrument) but they definitely contribute to the act of making music happen by being something like a director in theatre. So it boils down to whether we want to understand the word "musician" as someone who plays an instrument (or, to encompass electronic musicians, someone who arranges music for machinery to play) or anyone who plays a part in the process of writing/performing music.

If you're talking about the mainstream guys ex Calvin Harris, Guetta, Avicii, Garrix etc then yes, if you're talking about random Dj's then no, they're just DJs

here's a video of calvin making "slide", pretty basic, nothing crazy but just so you get the ideea

youtube.com/watch?v=gQlKelwPX4A

>Lets continue the debate also in 2018.
R u even trying to? Where are your arguments? Seriousy.

I'd rather ask another question. What is harder, to be a producer and simultaneously be a dj or to be a musican and live-perfomer?

Producer: produces his tracks by himself
Musician: records his parts and done

DJ: should know what an audience would vibe to
Perfomer: plays his parts

They're DJs.

how would a DJ not be a musician, going by the definitions of what a DJ is that are easily found on wikipedia?

>dude all they do is press play

this isn't even true

djs are not musicians. producers who are also djs ARE musicians

The term DJ is used to refer to various types of people. A radio DJ who literally just arranges a playlist and talks between songs is not a musician, someone who manipulates sound in real time to produce desirable effects is.

fpbp
if a dj makes his own music from scrap, he's a musician
if he plays others' music or remixes, he's not a musician

asking real questions here

Calvin really is the exception here, those other cunts you mentioned haven't written a song in years.

DJs are often musicians, yes. But DJing is probably not a form of musicianship in itself

It's fucking obvious. THINK ABOUT IT, do they make music, no...they mix it, thus they are not musicians.
So unless they are DJ-producers and they actually make their own music, then no.

Classical music performers don't make their own music either.

nope they're not

What about a classical musician who can't improvise?

They're just playing other people's music right? So are they a musician?

Bad DJs aren't, they're just playing other music.

If done well DJing can involve plenty of musicianship.

DJ reporting in to this thread. I also produce music and play multiple instruments. To generally answer your question, no. I hate when someone compliments me on a set, it'd be different if I was a scratcher a la Funkmaster Flex or DJ Shadow (who by the way are both musicians without a doubt) but when I get congratulated for pressing play for hours straight it really annoys me. When on the other hand I am complimented on a performance it's a great feeling that someone appreciates something that has taken me years of practice, while DJing I picked up in less than a month. To sum it up, if you don't have anything to bring to the table performance wise, I hardly consider you a musician. Blending songs together with fx filters isn't a performance. Start scratching or learn an instrument you cunts. Then maybe you'll start having some bitches on your dick.

producers =/= disc jockeys

>Start scratching or learn an instrument you cunts. Then maybe you'll start having some bitches on your dick.

flol, this guy!^^^

Not all DJs are push-play EDM jump up and down knobheads.

Why hate it when someone compliments you on a set? Reading the audience and selecting music accordingly is a more important part of being a DJ than technical skills