Every day we stray further from /prod/'s light

Every day we stray further from /prod/'s light.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
>gay ass discord link
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h6sZ3TZc8Io
clyp.it/igtmvrqc
clyp.it/seudoyik
strawpoll.com/aaa2hg2e
clyp.it/nz0db20x
clyp.it/hj1jkqil
clyp.it/xynzcjiv
clyp.it/udizn1cx
clyp.it/yv3crnef
clyp.it/2srd2e5n
clyp.it/uh5h5qae
clyp.it/g1pklbfy
youtube.com/watch?v=5aDWDt-xrbs
youtube.com/watch?v=soNcOfRvOtg
youtube.com/watch?v=k46ZYplUSkI
youtube.com/watch?v=AJEofi_eJ-A
clyp.it/qk1khc42
clyp.it/2zny4a3q
youtube.com/watch?v=Ywb62nG8TkI
youtube.com/watch?v=PoQ517K252I
clyp.it/user/onyudvef
clyp.it/sjmmvbll
soundcloud.com/glutenfreebeats/business-casual
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for
>BASED GOD
youtube.com/watch?v=h6sZ3TZc8Io

second for cute
clyp.it/igtmvrqc

It's true man, /prod/ has literally only gotten worse every day since I turned off the name

what's your favorite instrument /prod/?

For me, it will always be the guitar. No other instrument can match its versatility for me

clyp.it/seudoyik

any feedback is appreciated

my computer

mix wasn't so bad, really liked the drum loop and the chord progression was nice as well, but that glassy melody thing was just not playing a melody that i liked. I don't really know what exactly it was, but try shifting some of the notes around or something. I don't have the best ear, but if you told me what chords were playing and what notes/scale the melody is using I could probably offer some better advice about what notes you might want to use instead

strawpoll.com/aaa2hg2e

VOTE SO WE CAN GET A PROD BOARD

give it up. it will n e v e r happen.

sounds anime/10
like professional anime/10
good job.
nyc rainy day hip hop from 2003/10
giving me flashbacks of that era.
nicely done.

thanks a lot for the feedback. this is the most thought out feedback i've gotten in months in one of these threads.

as far as the progression i use keyfinder for my samples it said the chords were in F minor, but when i played around with that almost none of the notes sounded right. i went off ear but i'm like 95% sure what i have right now is c# minor pentatonic

ay thanks senpai

clyp.it/nz0db20x

Thoughts on the mix? Not mastered or anything yet so isn't as hot as it should be.

I haven't made anything it months and this just kinda happened when messing around on organ.

some of the notes in the chords sound a little out of tune on the sharp side maybe? i'm hearing that a bit when i listen closely

It's a tie between Hammond organ and guitar for me

Not half bad, get some vocals over that and it would be interesting!

we don't need a /prod/ board, these threads hardly get enough traffic as is

well, i played along in c#minor pentatonic on the ol guitar and it sounded good, so I guess I'd say stick with that. Even adding the Eb and A to take it out of pentatonic sounded good to me so it seems like it's E major/ C# minor. I think the problem has more to do with the notes not really following the chords tho. If you have any way to slow down the loop, try and slow it down to extreme speeds and play each note in E major (E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#), and listen for which notes sound particularly bad over each chord, then take a look at your melody and see if that's happening anywhere. Remember that just because your chords are in the key of a certain scale, that doesn't mean that all notes of that scale will work over each chord

I dug it user, had me jamming as I'm dressing up for my wedding today. Thought the mix was pretty damn good, and the organ was nice and tasty. Are you ? If so, nice Hammond

it's possible I suppose

>dressing up for my wedding today
congrats.
may happiness never leave you two.

bass line sounds "suck my kiss"/10

Yep I'm the Hammond guy, thanks man she's an old beast, I actually ended up using my Nord for this

Also congrats on getting married, hopefully it brings you as much joy as music

The bass is actually just my left hand on organ, hence is sparsity

Post setups?

My craigslist special console, $20 works awesome

what do you make?
how do you layer the guitar tracks?

i quad track rhythms and pan 100/100 and 70/70.
outer tracks are brighter.

I'm the guy that made the organ jam in this thread

Here's some of my other stuff with more guitar:

clyp.it/hj1jkqil

2 rhythm guitars, panned 70/70 using two different mics for each, so 4 tracks technically, then a track in the middle using two mics

clyp.it/xynzcjiv

This one is just two tracks panned 90/90, again two mics on the amp, then a solo track straight in the middle

clyp.it/udizn1cx

Probably the one I am most proud of, at first one track hard left, then eventually one hard right, three mics used per guitar. Then one right in the middle doing very ambient sounds

Thanks user

Craigslist man, I got the Hammond off there and the big mixing console, and that les paul with the strings (which are cut now, i think i had just changed them in that pic)

>tend to shy away from 100% panning
my reasoning for doing it is because i find it helps to bring out the brightness in the drum room mics just enough to balance the "tinny" sound out.
but if not coupled with inner panning like 70/70 with a thicker tone then you can barely hear them.

also, i should add that i never quad track the same tone with a hard pan and an inner pan as that just destroys the mix because the bass has nowhere to fit.

you could probably get a better sound with more headroom and atmosphere quicker than layering anything with just with an imager and a mid/side EQ

Usually with guitar since I have organ or keys going on in the mix, to keep it from getting muddy I'll actually cut anything below 200Hz or so out, especially if there is a lot going on

>clyp.it/xynzcjiv
>wheels of fury
what did you use for isolation to reduce the room sound on the rhythm tracks?
super crisp riffs.

>clyp.it/udizn1cx
>colours cascade
yo that's some straight up david gilmour/david bowie tones!!

so on wheels of fury, alot of this is studio magic plugins, I recorded it with a marshall clone amp into a 1x12 cabinet at literally bedroom/apartment levels and then used compressors and tape saturation to get the big sound, and then a bit of either reverb or tape delay to increase the fullness, alot of it boiled down to the tuning being low and double tracking it very precisely (you can hear when it gets off)

also on colours cascade, thanks man! Pink Floyd fan 4 lyfe

>decide to record vocals and instruments
>instantly get depressed, nervous, anxious, shaky
every fucking time

clyp.it/yv3crnef
this is a medley of mixes i've done with my own riffs.
any pointers?
really want to be able to get a good air.

are you the aus user

tones on the motorcycle one sound too smooth to me btw

colours cascade sounds really good how did you make these drums and organ

how about doubled vocals
clyp.it/2srd2e5n

yes i still am stuck on this song

honestly guitars sound pretty good, very 80s metallica sound, fucking badass. I would work on making your mixes hit harder in general, crank the bass and drums and look into home mastering, if you want let me download it or send in an email and I'll home master it for you just to see what I could do

>crank the bass and drums
i have this one that's a bit more bass heavy.
still sounds a bit muddy to me though.
clyp.it/uh5h5qae

aus user? not me, I'm from Texas lol

Colours cascade is real drums played by a friend of mine recorded in my parents living room which has an open balcony and about 15-20ft ceilings, used 7 mics for drums.

Organ was a real hammond b3, with leslie 122 3 mics, two stereo on top and one for bass on the bottom rotor.

A big part of the sound comes from mixing, I will say I'm heavy on widening mixes with panning, delays, reverbs, and compression (slightly), then saturation. The works, I spend many hours/days on these mixes. Also most of them are treated after the stereo mix down, I'll go in and add light compression and limiting to make it kick.

oh shit my bad i didn't know it was metal. you could definitely still use the mid/side eq and imager to their full effect, but if you're making music like this layering is definitely better to do than not obviously. as far as other general shit the guitars could be compressed a little more especially with a multiband. some light saturation on the drums would help them mix with the guitars and make the track as a whole be more cohesive. also the guitars could be filled out in the low end with an EQ just a bit

the doubled vox sounds like a weird delay in some parts because of the timing.
gets pretty solid in the chorus part, though.

>clyp.it/2srd2e5n
bretty good just needs a centered vocal track

i second him, give more attack time to stuff and maybe more high and top end to guitars

Go A/B this with lets say Black Curtains by Megadeth, then try and copy it. That's how I'll do mixes, use a reference.

You could try scooping mids somewhat, mainly listen to the drums, listen to how they fucking crack and make your speakers physically move, that's what you want. Drums and bass are extremely important to the heaviness

my newest mix was this.
clyp.it/g1pklbfy
it still sounds off to me.
like too processed.
>more low end on the guitars and more saturation on the drums

thank you for the advice.

I can barely hear the drums over the guitars here, good rule of thumb have the kick and snare be the loudest things in your mixes. Guitar work is good though man!!

>kick and snare be the loudest
noted.
thank you!

>clyp.it/g1pklbfy
the drums sound exactly like i was imagining

the guitars just need multiband compression and like a decibel or two db cut in 300-500 range

they are sorta boxy but theyre definitely more driving in the bass

the multiband compression will conserve the driving bottom end while pulling the high end together making it seem tighter and louder for a sleeker sound while actual decreasing it's volume for more headroom

true for lofi study beats but not necessarily metal

Listen to Sad But True, or really the black album in general, probably the heaviest hardest hitting drums ever imo, they are definitely loud ass hell. Try experimenting with a larger drum sound, try a reverb send. Set up a channel with a reverb plugin, and send first your snare track to it, then a bit of your kick, and if that doesnt do it, add a little of the OH's to create a space.

no ones saying you shouldn't process your drums. it's just that in any given metal mix the majority of the time the drums are in fact not very loud at all and are certainly never the loudest thing in a mix with any lead instruments they should sit *just* above the rhythm guitar

what you think of these drums youtube.com/watch?v=5aDWDt-xrbs

perhaps we listen to different veins of metal, my personal taste is to have very heavy hitting mixes that sound BIG haha!

I personally think these drums sound weak, but run big time through 1176s, not loud enough

you get big drum sounds with multiband compression, reverb, EQ and imaging not by actually turning the volume up so they're the loudest thing in the mix

what is 1176 to them?

and saturation

No agreed, but the should be perceived as such, volume wise they are not the loudest things in my mix, but i carve out EQ's to make them stand out.

Alot of drum sound boil down to the room/drummer

Good example of drums that aren't too loud but more fitting of a sound (more roomy not overly compressed/wet sounding)

youtube.com/watch?v=soNcOfRvOtg

The snare is hella compressed (most likely through an 1176 and with a cheesy reverb)

On the topic of drums

One of my guilty pleasure songs, it's so 80s but goddamn if those drums don't sound BIG, fucking MONEY went into this. Hard sound to get in a home studio

but they absolutely should not the leads should be perceived as the loudest thing in the mix

in the track you provided the drums are quieter than both the vocals and the guitar

youtube.com/watch?v=k46ZYplUSkI

shit got too excited, forgot link

yes, I am agreeing you can have quieter drums, but in doing so I prefer them to sound not as processed, a more roomy natural sound

I think it's just a matter of personal taste, that and Judas Priest > KISS any day of the week ;)

i'm certainly not the person you who posted kiss

i honestly think metal especially old nostalgic bullshit could leave the planet and it would be a better place

i'm just saying that in terms of mixing metal you're demonstrably wrong about where drums sit in a mix in most contemporary accounts

hey guys 80s kiss has some heavy drums
youtube.com/watch?v=AJEofi_eJ-A

If you're talking about modern metal, you are surely mistaken, listen how brutal the drums are, absolutely as loud as guitars. Perhaps not "volume wise" but cutting through the mix, absolutely, you hear every kick and snare hit clearly.

clyp.it/qk1khc42

for the 800th time cutting through the mix has barely anything to do with actual volume. they cut through the mix SPECIFICALLY because of how processed they are
the idea quieter drums should have less processing is just incorrect

and again they absolutely do not sit higher than lead instruments or vocals in almost any case

thas not kiss thats my cover

very nice but now there's no panned vocals? you could put some grain delay and reverb on just the one vocal and it will fill out a nice big wide open atsmophere and you could get away with no panned tracks

what do you mean, theres already some stereo reverb and stereo delay on vocals

added another delay. short, wide, 15% wet:
clyp.it/2zny4a3q

stereo isn't enough if you want to mimic the panned vocal effect you need to use a reverb that can generate a width greater than 100% and either a grain delay that has a built in imaging ability, an imager or use a regular delay in millisecond mode and make one ear the smallest number it can be and one ear like 5-10 milliseconds but that's kind of coarse and jarring

you using ableton?

that clyp is definitely better tho you could probably leave it there but the vocals could still sound bigger

"wide" is really the key and more often than not if it's just a button function rather than a width knob it's not gonna give you enough

im not really '''''wanting'''' a doubled stereo effect, the original song doesnt have it anyway... its just a band recording youtube.com/watch?v=Ywb62nG8TkI
but it would be cool, if it fits the song

>a grain delay that has a built in imaging ability
that sounds cool, know any plugin names of it?

no reaper

any idea?

it's just me senpai

i don't have a good vst grain delay but they all do a pretty specific sorta thing but either way this is just my thing that i think would sound cool

the stereo imaging on the other hand is pretty much an industry standard

izotope ozone is your best bet for that

how to cut breaks like richard here

youtube.com/watch?v=PoQ517K252I

theres no breaks until the point that i listened

idk how he did it specifically but sounds like you could get somewhere similar with a funk break sliced to midi and a beat repeat or grain/glitch plugin

and obviously the 808

>grain/glitch plugin
recs?

nah sorry i haven't used one in years

but you're looking for something like sugar bytes effetrix

Can I mix on my mdr-V6 or am I heading for disaster?

I'm wary of dropping the money on monitors and an interface.

you can mix on apple earbuds if u kno how to listen to the frequency spectrum

how do you guys like my hip new track? i miss obama!

(sry for soundcloud!)

soundcloud.com/goldmansachs/tax-reform-bitcoin-and-the

>iiiiinto the trash

Get Kontakt, drop a breakbeat into a keyzone and set the sample start at the initial transient of the first beat, copy the keyzone and move it to the next key on the midi controller and move the sample start of the copy to the next beat and repeat until you have a keyboard full of drum hits made out of the break

Then program your beat using the slices, assign kick slices to kick group, snares to snare group, hi hats to hihat group and pitch them, adjust amplitude envelopes, add fx etc independently

>clyp.it/igtmvrqc
i like this gook stuff a lot. very cute so i saved it
you've posted this every thread for the past week or so and now that ive heard it for the 3rd or 4th time i realized i really dont enjoy it. hope that helped.
fuck you and obama. god damn taliban marathon runner looking motherfucker

u schizophrenic m8?

oh look it's the snares don't need reverb guy again

your tracks are honestly not on mate. well shit actually and a bit tired if im honest (not him but i was in that thread)

>not him

u expect me to believe that?

clyp.it/user/onyudvef
hey it's the roastie phoneposter again. you should consider locking your profile because my guests are having a good laugh at your progression, but do not give up little dude

another try at recording definitive vocals, another shit take. sometimes it even sounds thin like i'm breathing helium or having my balls smashed, which is funny because it sounded ok while i was doing it. gonna try after i wake up, its when i usually record my most consistent vocals

clyp.it/sjmmvbll

i don't really care dude here's your (you), schizo

try this one, faggot

soundcloud.com/glutenfreebeats/business-casual