>din-din-din-din-din-din-din
and then do it really fast
>dindindindindindindindindin
and soon it becomes
>rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That took me like a year in speech therapy tho lol

move your mouth as if you were saying 'n'
blow hard until you make a farting sound. thats the tongue trilling

then practise keeping the trill using less air and relaxing the pressure of your tongue. also practise with different vowels in front, er ir or etc

How did you pronounce an R before therapy?

As L or some fucked up mix or L and R. I was 7yo back then so I don't really remember the specifics, only that the girls on my class laughed at me because I had to skip some classes to go to speech therapy.

Don't laugh at me. I don't remember it myself but my mom found a note a few years back, written by my then teacher, saying that I had broken down in tears during recess because some girls on my class laughed at me.

That is incredibly sad. I am sorry you had to go through that

i dont know how to roll rs because of dumb regional dialect

Was not laughing, your pic reminded me of that finnish smoking meme. Hence the pic.

I'm still afraid of speaking to people I don't know over 15 years later. I have gotten a lot better over the last couple of years but I still need a lot of alcohol to be able to converse with people without fearing that I sound dumb. It's even worse in English.

Stay in there Finnfriend

>try to speak English like a native English speaker
>the more "native" I try to sound, the more my tongue twists
how to I fix this

You probably didn't pronounce the R at all, or as an L.
I've seen/heard this often from multiple people up through the years.

I myself was sent to speech therapy because I couldn't roll the R like it's normal in my dialect, I did instead pronounce the R like the French do, which was normal for the dialect in the area I lived in when I was 2.

The speech therapist said I didn't have any speech defect, and said I should do the speech training only if I wanted to do it.
I did and now I pronounce the R as an hybrid between the French way and rolling.

Now I'm sad
I hop u gt betr fren

>native language has vowel harmony and consonant morphing for the convenience of tongue movement
>when you try to speak english you sound like you re some sort of lazy tongue retard with a speech impairement

Why did trilling ever start? its not even unique to indoeuropean languages, just something that everyone was doing for a while. there are even chinese dialects with rolled r, whats the appeal?

People probably found it fun/liked the sound of it and it evolved the language or dialect into the normal speech pattern

>tfw every native English speaker I've talked to says I roll my R's
>tfw I can never be a true native speaker

Open mouth slightly (important), mouth / lips should be relaxed, curl your tongue upwards and touch the place right behind your front teeth with the tip (relaxed tip is v important) then exhale air hard enough so that your tongue vibrates. When you got it, it should sound like a motor. Once you've mastered that then you can move on to saying words. Right when you're about to do the r shape with your mouth, do the motor sound.
Don't give up
t. bean

I love the finish accent in English. It sounds really nice in my ears.

What's vowel harmony though?

vocaroo it, i want to hear you trying to roll the RRRRR

How could you possibly make a mistake like that by accident, though?

>try learning German/French
>miss the times I was learning Spanish

I don't roll my r's and nobody has ever said anything to me

Literally just deal with it. It's such a minor thing that nobody cares about.

t. someone who can't roll their R's either