Can we talk about this movie? I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I understood the ending

Can we talk about this movie? I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I understood the ending.

>Can't be downloaded

No one's seen it.

>not paying $6 for a matinee ticket

Kind of lacked depth story-wise. McAdams' new husband is a dick with no redeeming traits and Gyllenhal's only flaw is that he's "too sensitive". And there is absolutely no redeeming value in the art world.

But that half of the movie is just a framing device for the story of "Nocturnal Animals". Which was okay, but Deliverance it ain't.

tom ford said in interviews that it's up for the viewer to decide why jake didn't show, was it bc he was still in love with her and couldn't bear to see her again? or was it to get revenge/cause her pain?
I'm leaning towards he was scared bc he's still a weak loser/maybe saw the restaurant was fancy and got spooked or was like fuck this. My positive spin is that this movie is the prelude to Amy Adams making her life suck less, you already see some sort of change going on when she kept the person at work she was going to fire.
I'm also apparently the only person who liked the sections in rl the best, even though the flashbacks with them dating was dull as fuck and everything else could have been fleshed out more.

I thought this movie was a skewering of the art world though? The credits sequence itself is supposed to show how ridiculous the art world is.

My problem is that Susan/Edward's breakup is kind of unwarranted. To people really just give up on each other because they aren't "ambitious" enough. I don't know, that part didn't work for me.

The "him not showing up because he's scared" doesn't make sense to me. Especially with how Ford completed abandoned any idea of subtlety with Amy Adams staring at that "REVENGE" painting. It's pretty clear that he held on to his hate for 20 years and stood her up on purpose.

Yeah, I'm willing to believe that the opening credits was a deliberate stab at the art scene, but I thought it was a very superficial criticism.

I think it kind of showed that he was in general a pain, like when he's whining when she makes a mild criticism of his work after he had asked her to read it. He also was pressuring her to make her own art and "stop being afraid" which was a total misread of her ambitions, interests and personality.
I mean he could have planned on showing up and given her some speech on how she's a bitch or played the dinner like he loved her still then said something cold to devastate her and leave or some other way of getting revenge other than not showing up. Although her seeing that photo could have been her projecting cruel intentions where maybe he is just a nice guy who wanted to thank her for the inspiration and she can't see it? I can't decide how much the film is just like "Amy Adams is an empty bitch, art world and money suck" or if there's more to it.
lol he literally has said that the opening was meant as a statement on america, literally "amerifats lol"

> I can't decide how much the film is just like "Amy Adams is an empty bitch, art world and money suck" or if there's more to it.
I'm leaning more towards the former with the opening credits as my case in point. I thought the film was disappointingly pretentious.

Really? I thought this movie could have easily slipped into being pretentious but it didn't. It mocks the art world at every turn and the movie is completely about cherishing love before it's gone.

I agree that it could have been worse, but like I was saying earlier I disliked that Gyllenhaal and the other husband didn't have much depth. There's hints of those themes, but the movie skimmed over them very superficially.

You're right. Amy Adams character doesn't have much depth on screen until you realize she's characterized by the characters in the stories (Aaron Taylor Johnson specifically). Gyllenhaal's character doesn't get that because we never get to see what he's really like since he's never shown in the present.

I feel like it was less "she's a bitch, art world and money suck" and more "everything is just boring background noise if you're unhappy and can't reconcile the worst parts of yourself"

>To people really just give up on each other because they aren't "ambitious" enough.
yes

I also loved that black British woman's voice. Very soothing.

Can anyone explain the jumpscare when Amy Adams was looking at the video of the baby on that lady's phone?

She was still thinking about the book and that character came to mind for whatever reason when she was watching the phone I guess

One of the worst films I have ever seen.
Plodding, nonsensical bullshit.

Nonsensical doesn't even accurately describe the movie. Both stories fit pretty well together as one tale of revenge.

She forgot to email him back.

kek

Someone unironically said this as everyone was leaving the theater today

Does it fuck. There are bits that overlap and you can see the parallels but a lot of it is just fucking nonsense.

That coupled with the Aronofsky level shallow attempts at making people feel uncomfortable and trying to pass it off as great film making because you provoked a reaction from your audience brings it down to fucking pleb tier.

>Hurrr ugly fat ladies dancing
>Durr build suspense as the girls as obviously about to be abducted

Bravo. On a par with Saw III or America Pie 2 when it comes to stimulating film making.

Trash aimed purely at winning some faggy film award that nobody gives a fuck about but for some reason is promoted as "prestigious".

>amy adams
top kek

This

What was your favourite film of the year? I'm interested.