Does anyone on this board still listen to music on CDs? With vinyl and streaming being big these days...

Does anyone on this board still listen to music on CDs? With vinyl and streaming being big these days, it seems like people are using them less and less. Some people don't like their sound but personally, I think they sound great.

Other than in the car, there are no advantages to having CDs

There are no advantages to having any physical format as a whole.

yeah I collect cds I like reading liner notes while I listen to an album

but aux port or usb?
hell even cassettes are better for the car, since bumps dont make them skip like cds

i like to have physical copies just in case the world goes to shit and the internet goes down. then ill be in my bunker listening to vinyl and cds.

I mean, listening to CD is listening to lossless digital audio, it's better than streaming/mp3 and technically also better than vinyl.
I mostly listen to 320kbps rips of my own CDs, or .flac on the computer, unless there's no flac available. But many times I just say "fuck it" and stream some music because it's easier.
But if I want to listen to something with really loud volume on my audio setup, then I'll be using the actual CD.
Also, sometimes I feel like lying in bed listening to music with earphones, and I use my old discman. Sounds definitely better than the mp3s.

I order them once in a while in case when no digital versions are available. When I am home from work (which is rare) I also put them on the sound system, it's pleasant.

With vinyl, I like the collection aspect of it as well as the whole tactile experience and the large album art and inserts. The sound is also very unique to vinyl (the subtle pops and crackles and warmth)

How are you going to power your amp and speakers without electricity?

A lemon, a coin and a nail or something like that.

Easy to rip, always have a physical backup if you lose the files.

Honestly the only actually relevant reedeming quality about vinyls is the big album art

Here’s my cd collection so far (sorry for the shitty camera quality)

I don't listen to the CDs themselves, but I do buy all my favorite albums on CD and rip them myself in lossless format. It sounds noticeably better than the transcodes you get on soulseek and also gives me a safety net for when my current external HD inevitably fails.

Streaming is garbage and a lot of my favorite albums aren't available on Spotify.

I buy several every week. For archive reasons. This is very important.

Pretty much. I'm very well aware of the fact that CDs are the superior medium in terms of audio quality. But the feeling of placing a record on the turntable, etc. is satisfying. I actually fucking hate the fact that I have to take such great care handling LPs and the occasional ear-raping distortion caused by random static on the record.

I honestly prefer CDs/flac for listening to things I really want to get into and actively listen to. If I'm just listening to music I truly love and want to passively listen, I'll pull the record out.

I just remember every song and then play it on my mind

desu mastering in vinyl is better because it doesn't allow brickwalling like CDs

generator or ill just use a walkman

i like your style

Valid point. But the music I generally listen to doesn't get brickwalled to the point of distortion that I can notice. And I'd honestly rather have a brickwalled CD than a bad pressing of a vinyl record.

I feel like companies are just starting to give a shit about higher quality audio again with higher bit rates which is encouraging to see. Will it catch on the same way vinyl has? Unlikely. But it's something.