discord.gg/neA547g

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_copulae
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/karoshi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcWnpvMWYE8
youtu.be/AmqG_G_8eqs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why were words that refer to legs and feet separately never made? Did they never need them even for scientific purposes?

They were, though.
脚 leg
足 foot

Is the pitch accent different?

I'm having to lookup so many words, should i just go on an ankidrone rampage and then start reading again?

No, it's the same.

Stick all the words you look up in Anki, and keep reading.

No if you just go anki all day you'll be forever dekinai.
Try to learn very common words without adding them to the deck though and learn the words you think will encounter again soon.
Leave the ultra rare kotobas for later.

So you just read and look up words and grammar as you see them?

Without adding them to a deck*

I've been looking for a clear consensus on this (as much as there can be one in language learning since everyone has a different opinion on everything)

How come nobody wants to be my friend on HelloTalk?

You can learn Japanese without Anki, but reading in conjunction with Anki is the fastest way to expand your vocabulary. What's best for you depends on whether you find it more stressful to do Anki or to look up lots of words while reading.

>retention on core: 93%
>retention on mining deck: 62%

What the fuck? Are you mining shit randomly from dictionaries? That makes no sense.

I'm mining from simple manga, i just can't do it with this deck, i don't know what happens but my mind just doesn't remember shit when doing mining reps.

Put the entire sentence into the notes of the mined card, so your brain can recall the context better. I do this really quick with the hotkey j while highlighting a word (this is rikaisama, though).

Holy shit didn't know about that, thanks.
guess i'll just have to manually edit the previously add cards.

added*

would setting the new cards each day to 0 while still reviewing daily mess anything up or no

You guys should band together and make a core12 with a fuckload of missing context, as in which version of 'that' is used in which circumstances and what not.

No. If you're overwhelmed, it's a good way to get it under control without forgetting what you're already juggling.

I've made a minideck with 500 cards (truly making Core10k reach 10k) that cover all the Joyo Kanji missing, but I've been too lazy to make a few corrections that need to be done in order to export it and share with DJT.

NP, my retention rate would take a hit too if I didn't do that.

alright good thanks. ill be traveling next week with limited study time, thought i should ease off the new words till i get back

Is there any n4 stuff in here is this all n5?

who's going to trust a portugese

楠木柾貴はたちこめる粉塵に口元を押さえ、うっすら目を開く。

What the actual fuck does this even mean? He has sleepers in his eyes still? I'm so lost.

He pressed his mouth into the dust enshrouding him and lightly opened his eyes.

I guess.

that's all 出来ぬ stuff

That makes sense. Fuck I'll never make it.

Get me a rope, user.

Common words are learned by reading alone, less common words are mined and learned via anki.
Rare words that I don't think I need any time soon are not learned at all, yet.
Cause you know, if you only see a word once every few months you might as well just look it up a second time.

?

The problem is, there's no way of telling what's rare or what's common outside of common sense (with English words).

Plus there's so many 'compound' verbs that just confuse the balls off me. Like in that sentence "立ち込める” that fucking 込める is in a ton of words.

YOU RETARDED PIECES OF SHIT I HATE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU

I think it makes more sense to interpret this as:

He covered his mouth (with his hand) in (among) the dust and lightly opened his eyes.

>brazil

UMA DELICIA

>The problem is, there's no way of telling what's rare or what's common outside of common sense
Just don't mine them the first time you see it if you think it's not common, if it pops up again soon afterwards mine it.

Alternatively mine it in different "rare words" deck if want to have it anyway.

The thing is you want to learn to read and not to become a dictionary.
If you want to become the latter there is a anki deck with a complete dictionary with about 170k cards, might take a 2-3 decades though lol.

Rikaisama has an option to show frequency. Not completely reliable but worth looking at.

>If you want to become the latter there is a anki deck with a complete dictionary with about 170k cards, might take a 2-3 decades though lol.

Who even took the time to put that together?

And yeah you're right I guess I'll just read and take anything with furigana to be at least somewhat rare if the story/manga doesn't normally have furigana.

I don't have firefags. I know, I know. I'm a google pleb.

What's like to be poor in Japan? Is it worse than USA?

Not the thread for that, this is the Japanese Language learning thread.

Is です the only copula in Japanese? If so does that mean it can take on all of the meanings of such copulae as the ones on this list en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_copulae ?

So... what the fuck is going on in this page? I can't understand anything other than they are shit-talking each other.

です isn't the only copula, there's also だ. And I'm not sure about this, but I think you could consider their past conjugations (でした and だった) to be copulas too, and even less certain, but I think じゃない, である, and ではありません might also be copulas.

How hard is it too read Berserk?

じゃない, である, and ではありません are conjugations of desu and da just like でした is.

>too read
Hmm.....

Whoops, forgot to answer the rest of your question. No, だ only really means "to be". However, there are specific words that are equivalent to the words on that list, though they're not considered copulae but full-fledged verbs. たとえば、
>Become X = Xになる
>act X = [adverbial form of X]する/やる
>appear X = [adverbial form of X]見える

Aren't those just verbs that act as copulae though? じゃない comes from ではない, which is literally just a combination of the で particle, the は particle, and the negative form of ある.

I see, thank you

Mm.. Looks like I slightly misremembered, they aren't technical conjugations, but they work like them I guess.

Although if you think about it, でした is the de particle plus suru conjugated to the past form, so if you consider it a conjugating then all of these are

Anybody here talk to qt japanese girls (or just japanese people in general) on skype?

How'd you do it?

でした is でし, the 連用形 of です, plus the perfective/past-tense auxiliary verb た

I think でした might just be です conjugated with normal conjugation rules.
Also, requesting full version of that pic.

I talked to a girl on an app called Tandem for a few weeks. Honestly, I didn't follow any particular strategy, I just brought up random topics and tried to start convos based on that, it usually worked.
If you're particularly autistic, you can try talking about anime, most japs have at least a passing interest on the topic. If you're more of a normalfag, talk about school, work, daily life, whatever. Don't even worry about super-complex topics when you first meet them.
TL;DR: Just be urself

I posted it early along with a question but nobody answered me

They're speaking in a western dialect, might be Kansai or Nagashima (though I really don't know enough to distinguish well between similar dialects). That's all I got though.

Gonna try out Tandem

if you learn 30 new words a day while listening to eurobeat you can finish the 5k within 6 months

Where is the problem?
English has already lent a lot of words from Japanese. Emoji, karoushi, etc.
What's wrong with adding kawaii to it?

American TV is garbage, though, yeah. (German TV as well. Although I think the last time I watched TV was about 2.5 years ago. Don't think anything has changed, and if, then for the worse.)

So when using Google ime do I unironically have to type ha for when I want は?

As in the particle wa of course

Guess what, you unironically need to type shine for when you want 死ね.

Also, that's not only the case for Google's IME.

I'm a 25 year old canadian and I've never heard the word 'karoushi' in my life you delusional esl race traitor

21 here, I think you're still in range to have seen people play this game to kill time during school

no, and that appears to have been the fruit's name

japanese-looking names are everywhere and no-one pays a lick of attention to them

Sorry, I accidentally included a "u" that's not in the English version of the word:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/karoshi

What, do you think if you had pen and paper you could write わ and it would magically shift in front of you into a は?

Stop learning Japanese, speaking one language in common with you is already shameful enough.

did you put that there yourself?

Yeah, right, I'm an editor on the Oxford Dictionary.

[spoiler]Also, I'm pretty sure you need to use present perfect in your question, not simple past.[/spoiler]

I don't know what those words mean you illiterate kraut.

"Have you put that there yourself?" (Present Perfect)
vs.
"Did you put that there yourself?" (Simple Past)

Are you a native speaker?

chatted with a nice Japanese girl for almost an hour, had fun, would recommend.

Why can't OCR manga reader open files on my SD card?

I am. You're wrong.

using the present perfect in that context will come across as condescending to natives
if you want to come across as a prick, use the former of your examples

Why are you learning Japanese?

What happened to the grammar reference page (DOJG) that was in the OP link? It says page not found. I used that every day.

I want to become a professional vidya translator.

日本語の場合、存在の動詞「ある」の派生語、「です」「である」「になる」がcopulaeになるのは英語と同じ、後は、断定の助動詞「だ」等だが、格助詞「の」の同格用法は「連繋詞」と呼ばれ、これは実はcopulaeの訳語にほかならない。
同格の「の」の例文:
「青き瓶の大きなるを据えて、」(枕草子・清涼殿の)
「白き衣、山吹などの萎えたる着て、」(源氏・若紫)
「暑いので、ビールの冷えたやつ、くれ」(パンツ屋)
youtube.com/watch?v=JcWnpvMWYE8
これは、「ビールの冷えたやつ」は「ビールで冷えたやつ」とも書け、「ビール=冷えたやつ」という関係で英訳すればa glass of beer, which is coolで「, which is」に該当する意味を「の」が担っている。

一つだけ、注意しておく。
「男と女、どっちがいい」という問いに対して「gayではないので、僕は女だ/である」の「僕は女だ/である」は、「僕=/=女」でcopulaeにはならない。
形態論的にはcopulaeは屈折語の存在動詞の機能であり、膠着語である日本語の「だ」及び存在動詞「ある」の派生語は、copulaeと同じ意味・機能を持つ場合があるということに過ぎない。
全く文法構造が違うものに、他の文法用語で表すのは困難であり、だから、構造主義言語学が生まれたのだ。

'Cause it's neat.

typo
*格助詞「の」の同格用法も「連繋詞」と呼ばれ、これは実はcopulaeの訳語にほかならない。
*a glass of beer, which is cool one
暑い、ビール、マジ欲しい

「成る」と「なり・にあり」には違いがあるし
外国の日本語勉強には「になる」がとくに「成る」という意味を表するわ
copulaでない

speak a little bit japanese in my dream when I slept this night
realize in hindsight it was wrong

even in my dreams I'm a dekinai, also related to the dream
tfw wake up and no qt jap gf

I'm finding it easier and easier to understand Japanese.
youtu.be/AmqG_G_8eqs

>correct grammar usage is condescending to native English speakers

The more you know.
I guess this is similar to the "wrong" colloquial German imperative, i.e. using the first person singular to construct it instead of the second person singular.
Does Japanese have something similar as well?

That's not "correct" grammar, that's "grammar preferred by condescending pricks". There is literally nothing wrong at any level when someone uses the simple past this way in a question in English. In fact, using the perfect here is an aspect violation in English, so the "traditional" grammar is actually wrong.

Heisig refers to 腰 (こし) as 'loins' but I've always assumed it means 'lower back' or 'waist'.

Is it ever used in the context of 'loins'?

>tfw have absolutely trash retention with my KKLC vocab deck in comparison to core
Even though I know what the word is (sometimes even before I see it for the first time because of the similarities with the meaning of the kanji used) I keep mixing up all the different readings ..

That's because you're not used to anki.

What does you mean?

I've been doing the core deck for about 5 months now. I just started KKLC vocab a little over a week ago.

>There is literally nothing wrong at any level when someone uses the simple past this way in a question in English.

Well, the rules say that the Present Perfect ought to be used instead of Simple Past, if there is no specific time reference and the question is only if something has happened at all.
Is there anything wrong about this? I remember the teachers at school being very strict about this.

dude that's great news

Those aren't real rules.

>if there is no specific time reference
You mean a specific tense reference. In this case there is a tense reference: the past. You're right that you have to use the present perfect if you want to construct a tenseless state, i.e. "having put X", but that is not the question user was asking.

>and the question is only if something has happened at all
The question is about the truth of a particular event, not about the truth of you having done that event at any point in time.

For example, if you put an axe in a tree, then take it out, then someone else puts an axe in the tree, if someone wants to know if you are responsible for the current axe, they cannot ask "have you put the/an axe in the tree" no matter what articles they use, they have to ask "did you put the axe in the tree".

>I remember the teachers at school being very strict about this.
Rule #1 of linguistics: teachers of traditional grammar are almost always wrong or bad at teaching.

I once was very sleepy and started thinking about Japanese. Then I entered the dream zone and suddenly EVERYTHING MADE SENSE.
It was like I had some sort of insight, I finally saw Japanese's secret, it was all a matter of looking at it from a new angle and it all fell into place - I finally understood Japanese like a native, it was just a silly misunderstanding all along that made learning it impossible up to that point.

Then I woke up and whatever I was thinking (I instantly forgot what it was) felt like it made no sense at all. Dream logic is weird.

>no matter what articles they use
I'd go with "that axe" in order to make it clear.
"Have you put that axe in the tree?"
No room for misunderstandings.

If it's the same axe then the confusion remains. Also, if "that" is not in the pronoun context (e.g. you're not physically there and they don't point at it, or neither of you brought it up), you can't use it even if it's not the same axe.

Nobody speaks like that. Nobody. It's fake English.

I didn't even speak long sentences or anything, the only thing I can remember is how I had to go through some traditional ceremony or some shit to get the jap qt gf
so when I stand before her father I was trying tp say 父上、光栄です and intead used 尊敬

I feel like pic related, it's not even funny anymore

How do I stop Microsoft IME from reconverting words when I select text and press space? I want the selected text to turn empty when I press space.