Great guitarist

>great guitarist
>great singer
>wrote most of the music and lyrics
>singlehandedly brought a genre to mainstream and inspired a generation

I unironically think he was the goat, fite me.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1EqfotMwtn4I0A_VN9g42ogA1nAZfvd6FGDPPLO1QxQs/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If he's so smart, how come he's dead?

>mediocre singer
>mediocre guitarist
>uninspired and depressed
>still got huge exposure, recognition and commercial success

mad respect but nirvana is pretty fucking boring

Being in a world of dumb people drives you to death

>>mediocre singer
probably one of the best male singers from rock history
>>mediocre guitarist
listen to bleach he's decent compared to punk standards. he was going to play guitar for the melvins but didn't because he got high and wasted all the time

>compared to punk standards

I love punk, but come on. Nobody listens to punk for competent musicianship.

i agree but i think what user was saying is that despite kurt coming from a punk background he was decent at writing and playing guitar parts.

>haven't cut my hair in a while
>have been playing guitar for almost two years
>like punk and metal and the songs i write reflect that

i'm unironically the next kurt. except i'm right handed.

come on man he was a good singer

wheres your courtney?

playing in a club somewhere. i'll meet her after a show one night and not respond to her advances due to my autism. then a mutual friend will set us up after a few months and she'll help me get over my ex gf. we'll have a kid. life will be rad. until she drives me to kill myself

not a bad plan

If he was so great he wouldn't have topped himself because he should have known that life is precious and not to be wasted

You only know him because of the way he looks though. As Buzz once said, "If Kurt Cobain looked like Fat Albert, you wouldn't know him."

To be fair he's an amalgamation of a lot of bands that came before him. The Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc. A lot of his music is derivative.

Kurt started when he was 14. Dream on.

Bleach definitely had his best guitar work, technical wise, the solos on bleach had a lot more melody and were mostly well performed compared to the more "noisy" solos on nevermind and in utero

That doesn't automatically mean he's terrible it just means we miss out on good artists because they look like shit. Not that people don't get free rides on their looks ofc.

>great guitarist
Stopped reading there

>inspired a generation

I love how the whole "voice of a generation" thing can only work back then.

>passable guitarist
>obnoxious gimmick singer
>borrowed from 3 decades of underground music to make an inoffensive massively consumable pop version
>sold out

i unironically think he was the shittiest industry plant

What's wrong with his playing?
I don't think you understand what a generation is

>Rape Me
>inoffensive
OK sure

In Bloom is always stuck in my head. He really is the GOAT.

>What's wrong with his playing?

Not him, but nothing's wrong with Kurt's playing. Nothing is great about it either. He was not technically skilled with it at all, didn't know many chords, couldn't solo for shit, etc. You can learn any Nirvana song on guitar within a year of practice. He's nothing special.

His music was terrible but he had great taste in music

Everything in art is derivative

>Nothing is great about it either
Playing the songs proficiently, correctly, and to a degree that the songs communicate with the audience, is not great?

Also
>you need to be special to be great
Nah.

AWWWINAAAAWWISAAAAAWIYOWWWWWW

There were tons of bands before nirvana that were breaking their way to the mainstream and paved the way for him to even have a stage to play. Kurt even said that any other Seattle band was better than them but they got lucky.

AS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH
WAAAANT YOU
TO BE

punk standards are not real standards

I agree, OP.
docs.google.com/document/d/1EqfotMwtn4I0A_VN9g42ogA1nAZfvd6FGDPPLO1QxQs/edit?usp=drivesdk

You clearly have never played in a punk band or been a part of any real punk scene

No one cares. Only Andy Wood had the potential to be as great a rock star as Kurt but he destroyed himself with drugs even more quickly

This is the most idiotic post I've ever seen. No, not even remotely. None of the bands you mentioned would have even been able to cross over to the mainstream and be as widely successful as Nirvana without their indie credibility being horribly diminished, their critical acclaim heavily decreasing, or the quality of their music declining as well. What made Nirvana such a unique band in the first place was their ability to craft melodic pop tunes, the types that even kids would be able to remember, and merge it with a destructive, brutal and beyond distorted noise that appealed to hardcore and metal fans. Their ethos revolved around passion, spontaneity, and creativity, all jammed into simplicity. They didn't pride themselves on being the most intricate artists (though at times, their music, especially on In Utero, could rival quite a few art rock/metal bands at the time in terms of lyricism), but what they lacked in complexity, they made up for in sheer energy combined with abstract idealism. Kurt Cobain's singing was somewhat of an acquired taste, but still was original insofar he was the first real singer to actually yell melodically, without sounding like a ditz or a moron.

Meanwhile, most indie bands didn't have that level of ubiquity or simplicity as Nirvana; they thrived on their pretentiousness and inaccessibility, even with signing on to a major label. Therefore, they remained in an inevitable rut. If they ever attempted to mix "poppier" influences into their music, they would lose all sorts of credibility with their original fan-base, and in turn, be heavily shunned and rejected as "sell-outs." (cont.)

>The whole grunge thing is so...wrong. It's non-music. So simple, again and again following the same scheme. Time after time. One group is perfectly replacable for the other. The danger I think is that you're obliged to like grunge. When you say, "well, grunge; don't like it at all", ohlala...than you don't understand it at all. Then you're out. While I think: "When something is not good, it's bad." Period.

And if they tried to make the same music that got them their reputation in the first place, mainstream audiences wouldn't have even batted an eye at all. Since Nirvana always had that lingering pop influence in their abrasive Alt. Rock sound, they could easily avoid, and get away with the amount of popularity they received. Could you honestly say the same for any other Indie Rock band of the 80s/90s? And do you really think that even if they got popular, would they have made a "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Heart-Shaped Box," or "Lithium"?

>Only Andy Wood had the potential to be as great a buttrock star
ftfy

People talking positively about Andy Wood in the Nirvana threads just proves that it's about contrarianism most of the time. Mother Love Bone fucking sucked. Green River and Mudhoney were not "as good if not better" than Nirvana.

It's embarrassing buttrock. At least, in his death, we got Pearl Jam