ITT: Your favorite artist’s worst album

ITT: Your favorite artist’s worst album

What about Pablo Honey?

that said, I still kinda like it

Haven't even thought about this since it came out.

moon shaped pool you retard

die

tkol is the ultimate pleb filter and is actually one of their best

agreed

i feel like if i were trying to be as objective as possible this would be her best, but strictly personally its probably my least favorite of hers and i rarely return to it

um, what is pablo honey you fucking faggot
i’ll slit you’re throat neck

TKOL is top 3 Radiohead, you're a retard

this, and Danse is top 3 AnCo. Throwin' the Round Ball / In The Singing Box is their best 4 song streak desu

I'm still waiting for someone to produce an example of an album that does what tkol was """going for and failed to achieve""". It's like none of its critics have ever heard codex or give up the ghost

>what tkol was """going for and failed to achieve"""
Which is what?

>codex or give up the ghost
If these two songs were removed TKOL would be an easy 8/10

>codex or give up the ghost
The two best songs on the album?

it's their top3 or top4

no but it's stll better than Bends, PH and HTTT

Disgusting

Probably didn't need to be said but pic related is his worst album by leagues.

wtf
firstly, tkol is 8/10 right now. secondly, codex and gutg are one of the best masterpieces from this album. kys

>le sad moosick xD
I bet you also think Fake Plastic Trees and Street Spirit are good songs

t. non musician
Why aren't they?

I don't know, that's what I'm wondering. Radiohead shifted focus to live looping and grooves. I wanna know what people are comparing it to as grounds to claim tkol is poorly made

>le not fast enough to hold my attention
people like you should really be gassed

They're mawkish and poorly-composed. They lack Radiohead's usual subtle approach at evoking emotion through Thom Yorke's unique songwriting idiosyncrasies rather than beating you over the head with "le sadness".

If I thought that I wouldn't listen to Radiohead at all, retard.

>They're mawkish and poorly-composed
How so?

Please answer specifically using music theory

>They lack Radiohead's usual subtle approach at evoking emotion through Thom Yorke's unique songwriting idiosyncrasies
Like what?

I'm not one of the guys dogging TKOL. It's not my favorite, but I think it's really good. From what I understand, they recorded the album, then went back and sampled themselves, and replaced their own instruments with samples of themselves they all manipulated, collectively or individually. I don't think Codex or Give Up The Ghost are an exception to that, they just seem to be more stripped down and the design concept of the album is less apparent on those songs. I also thin they're the best songs on the record though.

>Give Up the Ghost
Boring diatonic harmonies and a forgettable vocal melody using mostly simple stepwise motion
>Codex
Better chord progression but still repetitive, texturally dull and melodically uninteresting. Plus it's extremely saccharine.

I haven't listened to either of them in a while and I don't really want to so these criticisms are from memory.

Pedal tones, minor/major ambiguities, seventh chords everywhere as well as suspended and extended chords etc.

>
>Pedal tones, minor/major ambiguities, seventh chords everywhere as well as suspended and extended chords etc.

You're saying the sus4 and all the transition chords in fake plastic trees aren't enough for you?

>Boring
How so?
>forgettable
Can't be, I remember it clearly.
>simple
So?
>Better chord progression
Which is what? chart it out
>melodically uninteresting.
How so? chart it out and show us.
>Plus it's extremely saccharine.
So?
>Pedal tones, minor/major ambiguities, seventh chords everywhere as well as suspended and extended chords etc.
The songs have all of those.

No because the song is still completely diatonic and stays in A major throughout. Even if it were more creatively composed it's still unbearably mawkish, like I said earlier.

Some of the songs on this display better songwriting than anything on From a Basement.

>wah!!!! Wheres my Atonal noise
Honestly its not even bad, just not what we expected from gira

So are you into alot of atonal, polytonal, and modal music then?

no one said it was bad, just the worst

>Give Up the Ghost
Whole song is just I-V-I until the end where there's a brief bVII tonicisation and then it's bVII-I for the rest of the song which doesn't excuse the entirety of the rest of the song being completely diatonic and repetitive.
>Codex
Mostly just VII-VI-i and sometimes III-iv-v which leads into a prolonged VI-VII which is I guess the most interesting thing about the song and the closest you could say there is to a major/minor ambiguity, but not in the same sense as other Radiohead songs like EIIRP and Morning Bell. Also the fact that the chord progression is literally just a stepwise scale ascent is pretty fucking lazy.

I'm not about to spoonfeed you by "charting out" the melody but I will say they're mostly chord tones and predictable stepwise motion.

It's boring because of all these lazy songwriting traits I'm pointing out.

>The songs have all of those.
Where?

Not sure what this has to do with my point. I just prefer pop music to not be incredibly simplistic and lazily written.

>I'm not about to spoonfeed you by "charting out"
>please prove my arguments for me

Not how it works. You make the claim, you need to prove it
>It's boring because of all these lazy songwriting traits I'm pointing out.
How is it lazy?

>Where?
In the songs. Did you listen to them?

Couldn't be worse.

>You make the claim, you need to prove it
I'm not about to transcribe the entirety of a couple of shitty Radiohead songs just so I can prove to some autist on the internet that they aren't their most creatively-composed. I already said they're mostly chord tones and simple stepwise motion. Sorry if that isn't enough to "prove it". You may have mistaken me for someone whose life revolves around winning Sup Forums arguments.

>How is it lazy?
Give Up the Ghost is literally the most basic chord progression possible in Western music and it repeats for almost the entire song. Codex is entirely diatonic and the most complex part of the progression is where it just ascends the scale in stepwise motion. How much simpler can I put it?

>In the songs. Did you listen to them?
Now who's shirking the burden of proof, lol.

>I'm not about to transcribe the entirety of a
Then you have no argument
>You may have mistaken me for someone whose life revolves around winning Sup Forums arguments.
Wow you sure replied to me quick!
>simple = bad!!!
Yikes
>Now who's shirking the burden of proof, lol.
Well, didn't you say there was no pedal tones in ether song? That's incorrect. Also another user already pointed out the sus chords in FPT.

>Now who's shirking the burden of proof, lol.
That's because you made the initial claim. the burden of proof is on you, not I

pretty obvious but this
piss up a rope is still hilarious though

I'd say that albums like Remain in Light, Ege Bamyasi and Laughing Stock are all better takes on what TKOL tried to do, save perhaps the live looping component which was admittedly the best idea the album had, but even then it's only really meaningfully exploited in Give Up The Ghost. Otherwise, the album's basically the band wearing their Talking Heads/Can cap on a little tighter than usual. Having said all that, I do think they refined TKOL's progressions much more tastefully on AMSP but on TKOL it felt like they were a bit too excited to play with their new toys rather than utilize them particularly well, with the only other particularly bold excursion on the record being the sampling freakouts on Feral.

>Then you have no argument
You saying that doesn't make it true. I already provided plenty of evidence but no matter what I say you'll just expect me to spoonfeed you more and more knowledge to the point where you might as well just ask me to explain logic from the ground up. It's an extremely childish approach to discussion and obviously more centred around the idea of "winning" the argument than exchanging and elaborating on ideas.

>Well, didn't you say there was no pedal tones in ether song?
No, I said they lack Yorke's trademark songwriting traits which include but are not limited to the use of pedal tones.
>Also another user already pointed out the sus chords in FPT.
And I said it's still a boring song because it's completely diatonic and doesn't have much to hold my interest.

Also, simplistic != simple. Pick up a dictionary when you get the time.

How do you expect me to prove a negative? The burden is on you to point out how those songs feature the traits I mentioned.

If we don't count Yellow Submarine then yeah even though it's still a good album.

>You saying that doesn't make it true
And you saying anything doens't make it true... unless you can prove it.
>I already provided plenty of evidence
No you did not.
>you'll just expect me to spoonfeed you
See We already covered this. It's not for my benefit (I don't care, I already know you are mistaken. Do you really think I want to think these songs are boring/lazy and need you to make my opinion for me?), it's for yours.
>I said they lack Yorke's trademark songwriting traits which include but are not limited to the use of pedal tones.
Which would be incorrect, because they both include pedal tones
>And I said it's still a boring
Irrelevant. You still misspoke
>simplistic != simple
Nice misdirection. How about
>simplistic = bad!!!
Still idiotic
>How do you expect me to prove a negative?
Sounds like your problem for making a poor argument in the first place

Still has its share of great songs though, with Leaders and Unfurl in particular being absolute top shelf Katatonia. I just happen to like all of their other albums even more on average.

Jesus fuck, dat post number.

Embarrassing post.

best cover art tho

I still don't get this meme

How so?