How many of you anons are in a band either professionally or recreationally...

How many of you anons are in a band either professionally or recreationally? How well do you play your instrument(s) and how familiar are you with music? What's the bare minimum required to be in a band?
Pic unrelated

I'm in a band.
recreational band.
I am on bass and me and the drummer play pretty tight, the guitar uses far too many fx imo.

Bare minimum for bass would be knowing root fifths. for guitar knowing open chords/power chords, for drums I don't know enough to say, for vocals stay in key.

I play the guitar and sing but I'm not in a band. There isn't really a scene where I live and I don't know any other musicians. I'm honestly pretty mediocre at playing guitar, and while I dislike my voice, my range is alright.

>How many of you anons are in a band either professionally or recreationally?
Unfortunately the difference between the two is if you make enough money to survive or not
>How well do you play your instrument(s) and how familiar are you with music?
Very
>What's the bare minimum required to be in a band?
Depends on the genre, honestly.

>recreationally
>paid to play live ($200+ / show)
>bare minimum
If you can't be patient to learn with others, then you can't play with others.

Your skill should be able to perform by yourself fluently, but you don't need to be able to learn a song on the spot. Dad rockers will tell you otherwise, but being in a band is almost exactly like running a company, it's about the long-term.

I remember when music was everywhere, go to work and at lunch someone would take their guitar from their locker and we'd have a jam for a bit.

FF 30 years, everyone is stuck to a screen, where did the music go?

you're a faggot LOL

For a standard pop rock band, what would you say a person needs to know to successfully write songs, albums, and perform live?

Do you guys compose your own songs?

>For a standard pop rock band
Like what? This is too vague. There basically isn't "standard pop rock" anymore
>what would you say a person needs to know to successfully write songs, albums, and perform live?
Why are you asking? How do you define "success"?

The more proficient on your instrument you are, the easier it will be to translate your ideas into song. The more experience you have at playing your instrument, the easier it will be to perform the song and communicate it to the audience.

No one can tell what to do that will make you successful. But for writing songs, you should at least know open chords, barre chords, scales, and triads.

In a band, also a hip hop duo
Extremely well, actually. Been playing for 10 years
Pretty familiar, started fucking with music history at 12
The bare minimum is yelling in a punk band, since it can theoretically be done with no prior experience. However, anybody can become a capable guitarist/bassist/drummer/keyboardist after like 3 months of hour a day practice. (keyboard and drums might take a little longer)

Note: by "capable" I mean "can play classic rock covers"

good timing op I released an album yesterday and made £300 in sales on Bandcamp. I'm fucking delighted. I play guitar really well, but my main skill is producing/mixing.

yes.
we all agreed, no blues, no covers.

>Why are you asking? How do you define "success"?
I have been playing guitar for about 16 months now. I'm decent, I know all the chords open and Barre. I understand the basic chord theory and how to write progressions. I can't solo because I'm not proficient at scales yet. So my real question is: Would I be in over my head if I tried to put together a group that played locally?

>Would I be in over my head if I tried to put together a group that played locally?
No, you'd be fine. My advice to you is to fill your band with people who can cover your shortcomings. If you can't solo well, then get a lead guitarist and be a rhythm player. If your songs are a bit bland, get a hyped up rhythm section to add some flavor.

Also, I would recommend getting people about the same age ans skill level and experience as you. That way you can all grow musically together.

You would probably be fine, a band is not an instant thing, it will have to develop because everyone is at stages of their own playing and playing with others.

One of the best things I did was playing a few open mic nights, you may either fall apart and hate the stage or enjoy it at whatever level you are at.

I am in a pit band playing the double bass and bass guitar. I am classically trained in flute and double bass, as well as fairly experienced in the bass guitar.

The bare minimum to be in a band is literally nothing. See: Sid Vicious

>How many of you anons are in a band either professionally or recreationally?

more than recreationally, we barely make any money desu but fwiw up to 1000 people have listened to our albums all the way through

>How well do you play your instrument(s) and how familiar are you with music?

pretty good actually, non virtuoso but im known to be able to play complicated chord shapes as seemlessly and easily that most people can play basic power chords. I can sing in tune.

>What's the bare minimum required to be in a band?

honestly, that is if you can find a lead creative you trust who writes the songs and sings... you can be a VERY valuable member of the band if you simply adhere to a schedule of 30minutes a day of personal practice / familiarizing yourself with not only your bands material but more exploration of the instrument itself, coaxing good sounds and such , internalize and fix all the mistakes youre making during the set. dont be a goof youll get fired. if you have to miss 30 minutes one night, do an hour the next night. and this is only if you arent the songwriter. if youre the songwriter youll have to find the time to do 2.5 hours a day

just a follow up, if you want to be in a band, and you do know a person who again you trust to be the vocals and songwriter, tell them about this 30 minutes plan its a very good deal. you see it sucks being the main creative person you usually end up dealing with passive transient pretentiods who try and wing it through a set anyway

I'm the lead singer of a band called Car Seat H- I mean, uh...

You're a faggot btw

I wrote Beach Fags, well it wasn't about you, but it could have been

Basically my feel
I play guitar, keyboard, and sing, but the music scene here is all sixty year old roots players and ska-rap, can’t find any other musicians to make shit I want to to save my life

Any brazilians on Sup Forums wanna make a samba+shoegaze band?

I did some synth work on a record that Sup Forums talked about quite a bit in 2013. other than that i'm a solo artist on my grind

Hey user, é de SP?

I grew up stunt inline skating/skiing, it was seemingly really easy to find people to play with, not sure if that's due to the nature of the sports and their culture or the people that naturally gravitated towards me. Maybe pick up an new hobby, kill two birds with one stone.