/lang/ - Language Learning

Last thread died, so here's a new one.

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

(more info can be found in the following posts, including some nice flowcharts for French, Russian and Swedish)

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
youtube.com/watch?v=SD-u_lsJ-84
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

>previous /lang/ thread

language flowchart for French

language flowchart for Russian

language flowchart for Swedish

If anybody would like to pitch in to help create such flowcharts for other languages, it would be greatly appreciated by many of your fellow Sup Forumsellectuals.

Bump.

why is russian so hard

why did I have to have a brainlet language as a native language

I know that feel, man.

Good shit man. Cheers to whoever did this.

What's that you're struggling with?

Mostly just simple pronunciation. It's extremely difficult for me to differentiate between Ы and И when speaking, for example.

As another example, I find it very difficult to proounce "ть" as in "пять". I went over numbers 1-10 in a skype call with native speaker yesterday and couldn't get this sound right at all.

Most frustrating of all, however, is P. Every day I try to make this sound until I get headaches from blowing so much air. It seems no matter what I do I cannot make my R's rolled.

That is lacking. You should add Sveriges radio and there's a podcast called Språket about the language (but it's rather advanced I suppose)

youtube.com/watch?v=SD-u_lsJ-84

How do i properly learn Welsh, i only use Duolingo by now.

I already knew how to read the alphabet and do the ll.

Na saalan, amma chahar ya panj ta mah. saale ayande be Iran khaham raft.

which dialect of chinese should i learn

>mandarin
>yue
>wu
>min
>others?

The "subdialects" in those "dialects" don't even intelligible to each other. Anyway I think you should learn Putonghua or Taiwanese Hokkien (if you want to to go to Taiwan).

Jin

I think Hainanese is the "hippiest" Sinitic language one could actually learn, kek.

thanks, will putonghua get me around anywhere china (maybe not hong kong)

why Jin? isn't it mutually intelligible to mandarin

Why does everyone seem to learn only the basics of a dozen of languages? What's the point of that?
Wouldn't it make more sense to learn one language until you're fluent and then move to another? It reminds me of those people that "learn" programming by learning how to write Hello World in 10 languages.

It's hard not to when each language is so uniquely alluring.

>A question
someone have tried to learn many languages before?
>can you tell me your experience?, i'm doing an (informal) investigation...

I plan on working on Spanish until I'm fluent. That's probably two years away realistically. I feel like I'll get conversational in maybe 6 months, but fluent will take a lot longer.

I work with a lot of people who have English as their second language, and really it's pretty worthless unless they are fluent in a business setting. So I figure if I only learn Spanish to a B level, then I might as well still be talking through a translator because so much can get lost if I miss something subtle.

Oh for fuck sake just learn mandarin because mandarin is official language of mainland chinese or cantonese if you are interested in hong kong.

CCP plans to spread mandarin as only dialect in long run.

hopefully the oppresive regime will topple soon

If you are not troll, don't ever bother to learn chinese. It's not for you believe me. Find the countty which culture amd political situation you already like.

good advice, but i don't want to learn chinese to move there, just for here as a buisness thing and for literature

That's ok, I get it. You are good to learn it than. But if you want it for business , why not to choose just between mandarin and cantonese ? Why even think about wue, yin and other dialects ?

so do they only use those two languages for buisness? i'm not very educated on the dialects at the moment

>differentiate between Ы and И
Ы is И that doesn't palatalize the consonant. The difference between the actual vowels is not important. Pыбa is riba, пыль is pil etc.

I am learning Russian currently. I occasionally read Russian news, like kp.ru

Is Russian media very anti-Turkish like Western media?

>Is Russian media very anti-Turkish like Western media?
they change their mind every few months

>Turks are bad, we can't sell our gas to them
>Westerners are bad, Turks are actually good so now we sell our gas to them
>we changed our minds again, Turks are now bad
etc.

I'm guessing you speak Adyghe? If you do, can you read and write it in Cyrillic?

Thx for the answer.

I can't speak Adyghe, my mother does, but she never teached me it (she spoke Turkish).

I already know a little basics of Russian, so I have no problems in understanding Cyrillic. I am motivated to learn more, because I had a qt Russian ex gf lol. And I also learn it for business reasons (I'm a business student).

Bumping thread

I think they're just the ones that post the most, someone who's studying one language for a long period of time doesn't need new tips on how to learn it all the time.

meme

How come English is so difficult for me to learn while so many people speak it so fluently? Am I just the one who's to retarded to learn it? :( it gets me so dejected...

East Asians always seem to struggle with English. Even Singaporeans have a weird variety of butchered English. The only East Asians who seem comfortable in English on a wide scale are Hong Kongers.

different strokes for different folks.

Recently finished hiragana and now started katakana. How difficult is the grammar?

Maybe it's because HongKong was under British rule for 99 years.

White people are smarter.

It's gonna be quite tough since its grammar is hugely different from that of Urdu. But there's nothing you can't do if you keep at it. Good luck

Agreed.

thats okay... my urdu is not very good at all.

Aren't you from Pakistan? I thought most of the Pakistani speak Urdu

Why should I learn another language if I speak English fluently and live in an English country? What are the supposed benefits of doing so? I'm finding it hard to muster the drive to even work on my French.

what language should I learn? Now I speak german (native), english (native level) and french (pretty bad, but not very bad)

I am from pakistan, yes. But urdu is... a complication. Every ethnic group has their own language and they prefer to speak it. Urdu is spoken when there is interaction between various ethnic groups.
>tfw dont know any ethnic language so cant get accepted in any group

How about Arabic, Latin or Mandarin then?

Just work on your French if anything. Or maybe learn a basic level of Italian.

>>>>>>Latin
For what possible purpose

Didn't know that. Thanks anyway

You need to have a reason, otherwise there's no motivation. For example, many people on Sup Forums like anime, and therefore learn Japanese. By learning Japanese this opens up a lot more medium to them as far as untranslated VNs, LNs, and manga.
Or maybe there's somewhere you hope to visit/live one day? You could learn that regions language.

Otherwise, no sense in forcing it and wasting your time.

hm Latin or Mandarin would probably be the ones I'd consider. Do you have any pro/cons of either of those?

eh, I have to do french classes again next year, so I'm good. thanks.

Because its fun to learn.
Source: am learning latin

Cos its cool.

hey, i have a question. I am looking for universities for masters. are there any universities in south korea that give scholarship easily?

I learnt basic Latin at school and I found it pretty cool. Even a silly sentence can sound so decent when it's written in Latin.

If you don't speak any ethnic language and your Urdu isn't very good, what do you speak?

National universities would be good for you. Their tuitions are half as expensive as those of the private universities in Korea.

It helps brain function. Thought to help delay or prevent dementia. Also, it's fun

Try something from a different language family. Arabic, Mandarin, something like that.

ummm pretty sure you need to speak a language when you have someone to speak with. As a semi neet, dont really have much contact with outside world. Besides my english is pretty good. Scored a 7 on an IELTS test.

What do you speak with your parents?
T. curious

Never try to learn a language on the basis of "usefulness". Some people will tell you gimmicky memetic shit like "learn chinese because it'll open up business opportunities", but truth is that only applies to a TINY fraction of the population. The overwhelming majority of people wouldn't be able to use Mandarin in a profitable way even if they learned it, not to mention that Chinese are increasingly learning English anyway.

"Usefulness" can serve as an added benefit, but the primary reason can never be anything other than interest for the language itself and/or the people/culture associated with that language. Autism also helps quite a bit in many cases.

mostly a mixture of english and urdu. Infact, the amount of people that speak "pure" urdu are very less. Most of the people speak a mixture of urdu and english. Its pretty surprising how both of the languages merge together so easily.

Interesting, thanks

No problem.

>kp.ru
Just stop. It's biased, yellow-press piece of crap. Read rianovosti, regnum, lenta, but not this shlock.
A dumb explanation, because he doesn't know what is the palatalization contrast between soft and hard consonants (дым "smoke" - Дим vocative form of "Dima"). These vowels are pronounced differently - Ы is a close unrounded vowel like И, but it's central instead of front (meaning that the tongue is retracted halfway through the mouth).

>*it's a biased
>she never teached
*taught
>I had a qt Russian ex gf
>had
It's kinda sad. Do you plan to have another?

I assume by this that those languages are not (closely) related to urdu then?
Also, how mutually intelligible are urdu/dari/farsi?

>mfw Mari has three different ways of saying "two" without even including any sort of declension or derivative

>dari
>farsi
Dari or farsi-ye afghani and farsi-ye irani are varieties of the same language.
>urdu
In short, they are not intelligible.

They have a similar word order (SOV), but Urdu has genders and uses postpositions, while Persian lacks both. Plus, Urdu has lots of loanwords from Persian, and they both share lots of words borrowed from Arabic, but the core vocabulary is quite distinct given that they belong to different Indo-Iranian subbranches - Persian is an Iranian language, and Urdu (Hindustani) is an Indo-Aryan language.

Basically, it's more like English and French:
"mother" in Urdu can be mata (native Hindustani word derived from Sanskrit), madar (borrowing from Persian where it's the basic word for "mother"), and valida (a loanword from Arabic which is present both in Urdu and Persian (as valide/valida).

A simple sentence "This is a boy's pen" in Persian:
In qalam-e pesar-i-st. "This pen-of boy-a-is"
and Urdu
Yah larka ka qalam hai "This boy 's pen is"

The core vocabulary is vastly different, and the only common word, qalam "pen" is, ironically, from Arabic.
In/yah are both demonstrative pronouns "this", pesar/larka means "boy" in Farsi/Urdu; st (short form of ast used after vowels) and hai are both copulas (forms of the verb "to be").

The genitive construction are formed very differently. In Persian, they use an enclitic -e which joins the possessed word"pen" with the determiner/owner "boy". In Urdu, they use the words ka/ki to join the determiner/owner with the possessed word (like English " 's ").

>In qalam-e pesar-i-st. "This pen-of boy-a-is"
Forgot to add: -i in pesar-i-st is an indefinite marker like English article "a/an". Without it the sentence would be "In qalam-e pesar-ast" (ast, the full form, is used since it comes after a consonant).

Nom+((COD)(+)(COI)(+)(V. Aux.))+Verbe

Studying French as I see, huh?
>Nom+((COD)(+)(COI)(+)(V. Aux.))+Verbe
>Jérôme le lui a donné

>Jean le lui a donné.
you mean like this? That sentence would be "John gave it to him".

Thanks for the info. One more questino, to farsi specific (if you happen to know it).
The usage of the world "mal" (مال) to show ownership? I just don't really get it. When to use it and how exactly. Book does a really poor job at explaining it, or I'm just completely missing the point.

You do watch NASCAR as well?

I can only cite my Persian book to you. Basically it says that in colloquial speech, the most popular way of showing ownership is using مال instead of simple ezafet. I.e., "in kif mal-e khaharam-e" instead of "in kif-e khaharam-e".

It also states that mal can be used by native speakers in informal speech to refer to people, but this usage is considered quite rude. You can see the examples in the pic, but I guess you don't need the translation of the Persian bits.

This book really delves into the colloquial language (reduction of -ast to -e, or of the diphthong /ow/ to /o/, for example), and especially the Tehrani accent (like substituting /u/ for long Sup Forums as in meydun میدون < میدان).
>Book does a really poor job at explaining it
I'm curios, what explanation does it provide?

Pic related, though mine might differ ever so slightly since I have a more recent versino of the book. I guess it's partially me just finding it "peculiar construct" when something like "my book" seems just as good.

Silly question, why does your book use roman transliterations. It seems to me like cyrillic could, at least for sertain things, be better. (you have a proper letter, for example, for ش, though I guess you lack a letter to distinguish between the sounds of ه/ح and خ

I think it does indeed a poor job at explaining things. It just throws together some facts without giving the general idea.
>this is my book
>this book is mine
Is there any semantic difference except that the second variant is constructed like a response to a question? And how exactly "in kitabam-ast", "in kitab-e man-ast", "in kitab malam-ast" correspond to either of them?

It doesn't give any substance but fucks up your picture of the language grammar.

>Silly question
It's not.
>roman transliteration
The author explains that this is the international scientific transcription. One letter - one sound correspondence is achieved by diacritics (which yours doesn't btw).

>distinguish between the sounds of ه/ح and خ
Well, in Russian /x/-sound is represented by the letter х. In the Russian system of transcription of the Arabic language they use х to transcribe هـ, х̣ to transcribe pharyngeal ح (this sound doesn't exist in Persian), and х̱ for خ. But in case with Persian, there is already an established universal system, so there's no reason to tamper with it.

>it's kinda sad
That's*

One of my dislikes of the book is indeed how superficial it will be at things. I like the whole "overkill with a million examples", because that's how you get a better feeling for nuance and small differences you'd otherwise miss. It was, however, the book I found and saw recommended somewhere. (Teach yourself complete modern persian (farsi))

Thanks.
I guess it doesn't even teach tahriri?

Hic Forum est.

I'm learning Rapanui and Sardinian

You actually learn those, those are some neet language. Cheer user.

*neat

reviving bread

**neet

Those are actually language families, not dialects. Learn Standard Mandarin. Most Chinese people speak it and will understand you. Cantonese is a Yue language and only good if you like Hong Kong movies and want to do business there. Most people in Hong Kong can speak English anyway.

ik ben moe

.שלום עייף

wtf I love the Mari language now

>uralic language

absolutely disgusting

So it’s not a dumb explanation then, it’s inappropriately smart explanation?

>the """""language""""" he's learning doesn't even have a dedicated team of 14 autistic users (one of which is ranked #1 on forvo both in terms of number of pronounciations and number of added words) who spend their days pronouncing tens of thousands of words in said language
lmaoing at your life