What makes it so bad?

What makes it so bad?

It's a Moby album.

its way too long, the album could have 10 good songs but nooooo

It's not? Would argue it's one of the best electronic album of the 90s.

Southside is a great song. The rest leaves something to be desired. Still like the album though

considering everything that's happened in electronic music since 1999 'play' sounds a bit simplistic.

also he licensed most of the album to various entities for maximim commercial capitalization which has been a sticking point in the craw of every 'play' critic since.

and then there's the guy's politics.

it's one of my all time favorites but i can see why the image obsessed neurotics here haven't taken a shine to it.

It's only panned because it was a mainstream dance album by an American. Brits deliberately discredit American dance music to perpetuate the myth that dance music is an exclusively European phenomenon. This is why /bleep/ circlejerks about "pardners".

moby is bald lmfao

I get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that American dance music is completely unlistenable and European dance is superior in every way.

It's not bad though

Really? That's one of the most boring songs on the album

shut the fuck up

Detroit techno is infinitely more listenable than any British rave subgenre, or anything from Warp's catalog.

i find this album a lot in thrift stores

We invented disco, funk, house and techno.

agreed

Same goes for you, user.

Vinyl Me Please plz go

it's a good album that just happens to show its age (like most "electronica" from that era) and its definitely a product of its time. when it came out it was a big deal

what does his politics have to do with it?
and he also went through the trouble of tracking down the surviving family members of the people he sampled in the album to pay them royalties and whatnot

t. oldfag

kek

>happens to show its age (like most "electronica" from that era) and its definitely a product of its time
meme reason

I've often wondered why it is that American rock critics seem to root for Moby. They appear to have decided half-a-decade ago that he was the one that was going to translate the alien aesthetics and protocols of electronic dance culture into albums that you could listen to like regular rock records (ie. no attitude shift or change in listening habits required, no journeys to dark, noisy, drug-infested clubs to experience the site-specific reality of the culture). No matter that nobody within the rave scene has really given a hoot about Moby since "Go" back in '91, or that conversely he's never come close to pop stardom; for rock critics, he is still and will always be the pop ambassador for techno.
Having made that emotional-critical investment, they are delighted and relieved when he comes up with anything half-decent. Play is pleasant enough background music, mildly haunting now and then, but it strikes me as a shrewd and calculated attempt to marry last year's rockcritical crush (the Harry Smith/Revenant/Alan Lomax/Dock Boggs roots Americana bandwagon) with the gospel-house bricolage approach of Fatboy's "Praise You". (Another track on Play is a blatant rip of Stormin' Norman's remix of Beastie's "Body Movin'".) People have been doing this kind of gospel-blues sampling for years within house culture and far more artfully-- e.g. D.H.S, Green Velvet/Cajmere, the sublimely poignant vocal tapestries spun by Todd Edwards, St Germain/Ludovic Navarre sampling ragtime and 1930s Lighning Hopkins (on "Alabama Blues"), ad infinitum.

Humanity as we know it was invented in Africa.

Does that make Africans superior to modern men?

le downtempo with piano xD

detroit techno is overrated dated garbage

i agree

Play was fucking fantastic.
Porcelain is god-tier
Honey, Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad & Find My Baby.
Natural Blues is kinda normie-tier but still good.