How many films have you seen from Sight & Sound list Sup Forums? Please be honest

strawpoll.me/11870410

letterboxd.com/gyhaney/list/sight-sound-top-250/
imdb.com/list/ls008765885/

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/Doublas_MK_II/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

55, and I'm okay with that number. A lot of those movies look like ones I would never want to watch anyway

I don't watch films, I only watch kino

Why does Shoah qualify? It's a long as fuck mockumentary, not a movie.

me too

Apocalypse
Taxi Driver
Blade Runner
Pulp Fiction
Star Wars
ET
Spirited Awa
Melancholia

What is this letterboxd thing everyone's doing? Is it an engine for shaming people for their tastes and experience watching films?

why are you two on this site?

And I thought my score was embarrassing. 164.

Depends, how many Marvel movies do they have on the list?

>tfw ignorant

i just use it for cataloging and autistic listmaking desu

the community seems pretty awful for the most part

about 100. pretty good list but i dont have access to lots of foreign films
its been around for about 5 years now, i just logged in to update mine now. its always interesting looking back at my old favorite lists and my watchlist backlogs

67. I've stopped really keeping up with my watchlist for like 4 years now.

jesus christ, i woulda guessed 110-120 but i only got 86.

really really need to rewatch a little less and get more first viewings but oh well.

>why are you two on this site?

I dont see many of the films on that list discussed here

A lot of these movies are pretty shit and don't belong on a top 250 list of anything, and I'm not watching Charlie Chaplin just because it was good for 1910

art is timeless

I guess my question applies to basically everyone in here. It's sad that this board is populated mostly by people who haven't even seen more than 10 movies that are generally considered significant.

Post your alternative list please.

Your Charlie Chaplin comment suggests you're a massive pleb though.

TSPDT list is better.

I'll tell you OP, I've watched literally hundreds of Japanese ASMR ear licking videos on Youtube.

>post a 250 film list
ok I'll get right on it

Post 10, post 20, post a small amount that will indicate what you think are some great films that deserve a spot on that list instead of the garbage that you seem to think is on there.

Don't shy away.

i dont like dr strangelove

Go back to r/TrueFilm, you fucking faggot.

This board is for baneposting, celeb gossip, Big Brother, cunny, Sam Hyde, and supporting Sup Forums through visual media. Your "art" degeneracy has no place here.

As you shouldn't. It's trash. Just like most of Kubrick's movies outside of 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut.

As someone who has seen 8% of those, I can honestly say they are all overrated hipster shit.

You guys are so hilarious.

Shouldn't you be in line for Star Wars or something?

I just don't think stuff like The Wild Bunch, ET, The Conversation, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wall E, Videodrome, or all of those John Wayne movies are top 250 ever

not bad just not great

79, though mostly because I enjoy old Hollywood movies over most artsy foreign cinema.

Charlie Chaplin was just shitty physical humor. He was about as special as Jerry Lewis. I don't get why people think his movies are so great.

Buster Keaton now, that was good silent film.

Okay so now you're backing away extremely hard from your initial statement that a "lot of those movies are pretty shit" by naming less than 10 movies of 250.

Also, The E.T., The Conversation, Texas Chainsaw, and Videodrome absolutely belong.

Again, please post some alternative choices for the list that will demonstrate your supreme taste that outstrips that of all the film critics and film directors who were polled for that list.

are you fuckin serious

Chaplin was better than Keaton.

Also Lewis had moments of genius.

I've seen 54

A lot of the stuff on here looks very unappealing

I expected like 50 but its actually 18. But no surprise considering they only list old boring movies like Chinatown (which I regret having seen). I mean they didn't even list Interstellar in the top 250, wtf?

>those John Wayne movies
This just shows how clueless you are if you think The Searchers, Rio Bravo, Stagecoach etc. are just Wayne vehicles

47. Just fuck my shit up.

I hope all of the replies under 50 are trolling/baiting.

Why do you fucks even post here if not? Are you big into the Walking Dead or something? Maybe a big /got/ faggot or something?

Disgusting.

all overrated and Wayne can't act for shit

Good Bad Ugly, Shane, Treasure of the Sierra Madre three westerns I didn't see on the list that are better off the top of my head

>Wayne can't act for shit
When he's doing his general shtick it can be annoying, but when a director uses his outsized persona for an unlikable character (Searchers, Red River) or shows a tenderness underneath it (Stagecoach, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, the end of the Searchers) I think he can be amazing

Unforgiven is the greatest Western.

Also if you hate John Wayne you hate America. Move to Canada pls

Unforgiven is so literal in it's subversion of westerns that it barely has a pulse of it's own

Unforgiven is a nice exhibition of Eastwood's understated filmmaking style, but there are better 'old gunslinger' movies out there like pic related.

I always thought the exact opposite, that it works better than similar stuff like Watchmen because it has a story that's actually moving on its own whereas watchmen relies on the subversion aspect

most of the films are on my watchlist but I've been rather busy lately and haven't been watching many films

The visuals in clockwork orange are excellent. Full metal jacket was fairly ok too.

I hate John Wayne. Always the macho man, but never truly pulls it off, coming off as slimy and unlikeable. I'll go with Clint.

>forgetting barry lyndon

barry lyndon's visuals are severely overrated

There are handful of shots that look good in still and Sup Forums circlejerks over them

post 25 examples of bad shots

Even if I was autistic enough to collect bad shots, that's not how cinematography works

Only 54 but I never really took film seriously until like a year ago. I just watched The Godfather series last week.

>I just watched The Godfather series last week.

What'd you think

I knew a lot of what was going to happen just via cultural osmosis but I was still really engaged and surprised by a lot of it. It sucks that 3 was ruined by Sofia Coppola's atrocious acting. The rest of it was cool.

I think I am the only one not bothered by her acting

Yes she has zero talent but she is basically just playing a dumb girl. There's not a high ceiling for that. A talented actor would've had only a marginally better performance.

why do critics hate comedies? There isn't a single funny movie on that list, it's all doom and fucking gloom. Are these people always fucking depressed and self-loathing?

You dont think Annie Hall is funny?

>all these old grey movies

You just know most of these movies suck and aren't better than movies produced today, just old people critiques "the movies I used to watch were better!"

There's several chaplin movies, those are explicitly comedies

it's a fucking (((Woody Allen))) film, it can't be funny because it's filled with insecure jewish psychosis, like all of his other terrible films? Why do you think he makes one a year? He's too cheap to get a good therapist and work his angst out, he's rather be miserable and create horrible stories.

Give me a fucking break. Next you'll tell me that Shia Labeouf is an action star.

it's for pretentious sjw's to mutually masturbate other pretentious sjw's

only on the surface, they're tragic more than comedic, like City Lights which is a love story about a blind girl. It has funny scenes, but overall it's a gloomy story about impossible love. Gold Rush is just an expose on poverty and greed and The Dictator is social critique on fascism.

A Fish Called Wanda is a genuine classic comedy that doesn't try to be anything else, has great characters, good story and really funny moments but up-tight critics are too pompous to put a "low-brow" film on such a list.

Movies are supposed to entertain you and not everyone wants misery and social commentary when seeing a film.

My Favourite Year is another title that comes to mind.

Okay but all those Chaplin movies have extensive scenes that are purely visual gags

You can't possibly not call it a comedy just because it has serious themes. That just means it's a good comedy.

I've only seen 69. Fuck.

I didn't realize how little I'd seen.

Why isn't The Three Stooges in there then? Because it lacks the social commentary that critics get a hard-on about.

What about The Life of Brian? The Party? Actual comedies, who's point is to make you laugh and forget how shit the real world can be.

Those are also all bad movies. Especially Life of Brian

Because the Stooges aren't good. You cannot with any sincerity tell me Curly is a comedian on par with Chaplin

The Life of Brian is loaded with commentary, it's entire purpose is to parody the bible

I feel this way about Raising Arizona.

It's a perfect comedy

We found the movie critic

This list feels pretty neckbeard tbqh

Bump.

>Pulp Fiction
>ET
>Anime

Shit list.

>Movies are supposed to entertain you and not everyone wants misery and social commentary when seeing a film.
I can pnly speak for myself and not guess at the way critics think, since you lump them all together, but the movies I like the most are the ones that send me off feeling and thinking differently than I did when I went in. That usually means confronting unpleasant themes and hopefully coming out the other side with a sense of catharsis or understanding about them. Miserablism really isn't the point so much as seeing the world in ways you can't in you daily life, in the same way some people prefer escapist entertainment to get away from it.

>Movies are supposed to entertain you and not everyone wants misery and social commentary when seeing a film.

>Music is supposed to be fun, not everyone wants to listen to Classical instead of Dubstep
>Food is supposed to taste good, not everyone wants vegetables instead of big macs
>Life is supposed to be fun, not everyone wants to work instead of party 24/7

Kill yourself.

critics love The Life of Brian dumbass

Great directorial review, Sup Forums. Stay there

60 of 250

letterboxd.com/Doublas_MK_II/

I've seen 2. Yet I visit Sup Forums everyday. What am I doing here?

The unofficial but de facto name of the board is Television & Film & Shitposting.
Most are here for the third, and so am I

how the fuck is vertigo #1? It's overrated af like all hitchcock

>how the fuck is vertigo #1?
It had more mentions. Crazy stuff

>It's overrated af like all hitchcock
2/10

oh wow, a Letterboxd profile that isn't obnoxious and seems completely sincere, and with pretty decent taste to boot

>I don't use half star ratings and movies aren't rated against one another
good, my reasoning as well (though i must admit some "competitive rating" to a small extent)

i'd follow you if i was more into the community aspect of the site

yeah the birds and rear window are kino, haha

you just recommended close up in another thread but you haven't seen it? hmmm

You and This List
Rated 215 of 250 titles

40s Hitch is undeniably kino

>Rebecca
>Foreign Correspondent
>Spellbound
>Notorious
>Rope

Strange post, is this supposed to be funny or what

>A lot of those movies look like ones I would never want to watch anyway
t. pleb and proud

this, Unforgiven is just trite cliches. I hated it.

both were 5/10 to me. Vertigo a 7, psycho a 7.5

First season of GoT is objectively better than half of that list.

>Movies are supposed to
you're right about everything you said except this assumption that any media/ art is "supposed to" do anything