clyp.it/gahwgdo0
clyp.it/g3fw3pnc
clyp.it/rqicwbud
youtu.be/mN17Ornvgwc
youtu.be/mY5iot_OoX0
clyp.it/a2ppxgnc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

post tuxedo

I can't afford another guitar right now, but I found a good deal on one of my top wants. What to do?

Go to bed, Billy Gibbons.

don't buy it, or pick up a side gig. You can always lyft or uber

Is it normal to feel wirst pain when you first start playing? I started playing two days ago and the area where my wirst meets my hand is starting to feel pretty comfortable and I get a slight pain when I play chords. Iv looked all over the internet to find the correct way to place the fretting hand but no matter how I place it my wrist bends when I play chords, particularly the A cord causes me pain. Is this normal when you first start, i’m really scared of getting carpal tunnel or something similar.

Can't. I'm disabled.

My question from the last thread. Would guitar or amp be a more important first upgrade?

On the amp, what kind should I get? I wouldn't be getting it very loud, and when I move into an apartment, I probably will plug headphones into it anyways. Should I get one of those amp pedals instead?

On the guitar, someone said jazzmasters have issues with strings popping out of the saddles. would a strat be more ideal?

You can always work telemarketing from home

Can't. Trache.

Seriously, if you’re asking around here for what shape of guitar then you should start over. Go to guitar center or whatever music shop is close by and try EVERYTHING. don’t buy ANYTHING. repeat process until you know what shape and sort of pick ups you’re looking for. Then come by and suggest the vest option you have and people here can give you detailed input on what problems there might be with that specific guitar. There are literally dozens of types of strats with different necks and pickups even though they might all look the same.

Pick an amo depening in your tastes. some amps are built with different genres in mind. Most amps can create certain tones that other amps cannot. It's basically half of the instrument when it comes to electric guitar.
Orange, Marshall, Fender should cover a wide range of amps for you.

what you need for a guitar "upgrade" is to set your guitar up. Lower the nut slots as well. If you feel like spending $20 or so, you can even level the frets. After that, consider new pickups or an amp.

keep your elbow close to your body. This will straighten your wrist as much as it needs to be.

olá

Is it normal to start feeling wirst pain when you've been playing for 5 years?

You guys ever make shit tracks just for fun or are you always perfecting your next top 100 single?

I feel like I grow faster as a musician when I let myself write whatever I play. I think freestyling is important but it's ok to occasionally sit down and play like, 3 notes at a time.

for sure. here are some:

soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/asdasd

this one was made when i bought the mic
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/jammin

shave your mustache

did it yesterday

amp amp amp my dude

nearly any shitty squier strat will sound like jimi hendrix if plugged into a marshall (more so than a custom shop jimi strat into a line6).

i would get 5W practice amp if you wanna go tube like a crusty old tone purists who refuse to buy anything digital, but nowadays solid state amps like a boss katana are great. 90% of people today wouldn't be able to distinguish a good tube amp from a good solid state amp.

and as someone else said, get your guitar set up, itll be like a new instrument

fucking BB King's favourite amp was a solidstate

I just like to make stupid worthless tracks sometimes, it’s nice not worrying about tracking the best take. Like this, I fucked around with a song from adventure time and made a weird waltz
sendvid.com/ggp48npu
One time my friend and I made a metal Christmas song with Sam-tier shredding, just fun stuff.

my point exactly, albert king also used a solid state acoustic amp i believe

how do i setup my tele? i've had it for like a few years now. just started playing again. I don't know what you mean by having it setup.

>Lower the nut slots as well.
That's pretty terrible advice given you've never played his guitar and you have no idea what kind of action he prefers. Lowering the nut slots could cause open strings to buzz on his guitar and not everyone likes super low action, which is terrible for slide players and frequent string benders.

I like meaty guitars with medium high action, heavy strings, and a thiq neck.

>medium high action

how is this tune/riff thing guys?

clyp.it/gahwgdo0

ace frehley uses .47mm action

so tube amps are basically a meme unless i'm an extreme audiophile/snob? What solid state amp would you recommend then for under $400?

what you think of my demo riffs/ideas

clyp.it/g3fw3pnc
clyp.it/rqicwbud

tune your guitars man. it makes too hard to even listen to what you're actually trying to play

Katana

the strings were too old the intoation was off

I’m going to be honest, it sounded like you were just hitting chords and notes, I couldn’t really follow what you were trying to go for with that.
Out of tune/10 you little whore. All I hear on these are that you can replicate blues licks but your chord progressions are corny and boring. Since you know how to play blues licks you should learn how to play them with taste and not just shot gunning every fast stop you can think of one after another stringed by a weak bend. I think you just really need to work on your rhythm and groove.

thanks can you talk about the riffs/ideas itself instead of the lead of the 1st clyp

1. Your timing is all over the place, it sounds almost Indian but that’s probably because of your guitar. It just sounds like a 4 chord riff.
2. Sounds like an intro to an 80’s buttrock song or something.
3. I don’t know dude, maybe you’re hearing the rest of the song but I’m not getting anything out of this.
4. This one is actually decent and would be fun to hear with a full band
5. Folk or something right? It was two seconds, not much of an idea.

thanks, now tell me how do i make a full song with those

You don’t, that would sound like absolute trash. What you need to do is work on your rhythm, and I know you don’t want to because pretending to be slash is what’s most important, but your playing will be shit until you do.
Take riff number 4 and then try to write what you think would next in a song like that. If it was me; I would loop that a couple times, pick two chords that you can strum and ring out on for dramatic effect and then come back in with the original riff. Do that a couple times and then write bridge that you can build up and ejaculate your pentatonic all over, little bitch.

CHANGE YOUR STRINGS GUYS

Just changed strings today its like I have a new guitar...amazing

thanks
riff 4 is like a followup to riff 3, did you realize that
can i hire you to do that for all my riffs and ideas?
how does one "work on his rhythm"

LOL

like, wow...

Listening back now, I can hear what you were doing but it doesn’t sound very good and is kind of confusing.
If I’m on /gg/ having a couple drinks I’ll help you out.
Start playing to a metronome, for one. I started to play the drums on my lap on my commute to work so
I could work on polyrhythms. I guess just start actively listening for rhythm tracks in songs, or even the bass line for grooves. I can almost hear how tight your strumming is so maybe loosen yourself up a bit. Start learning some more exotic chords to throw into your vocabulary too, John mayer is a good start for that and you’ll probably like playing his leads too.

If you can hear that your amp is shitty, get a new one. If you can feel that your guitar is shitty, get a new one. Both? Then it's up to you.

i wont post all my original stuff on /gg/ just in case you're around

Just buy one nice dreadnaught and git gud. You can hide behind electric guitars and effects. Acoustic guitars lay you naked and bare for the world to see and make you much better because of it.

why’s that?

H EY DUDE hope you see this

Like most have said, get a good amp first. BUT if you wanna get a Jazzmaster but are worried about the shitty straddles with strings popping issues, you will need to buy a bridge upgrade. It is the fender mustang model mastery bridge and it will fit in a jazzmaster style guitar. Basically the grooves fit better and no string fuckery happens.

Jazzmasters are awesome unique guitars but they require a little bit of setting up, such as this bridge upgrade. It's worth it if you want that sonic youth/mbv vibe.

Cheers, if you want jazzmaster recs hit me up

I got super into jamiroquai and my rhythm improved

Got a whole album of electric guitar "compositions" i made in about a month

It came out pretty good. I did layering and everything on some of the tracks and it all came out super natural

That would be a pretty fun project to try out, I might do something like that but only with phone recordings.

I'd get String Saver saddles for a Jazzmaster/Jaguar/Mustang. Self-lubricating is a great fucking feature for any guitar with a tremolo.

and i'm not a slash fan

kek I was just memeing you dude

Didnt know about those, but yes, they would work too. Anything is better than those notched shitters that come on most jags/jms

Why does playing music feel good user? It's pure escapism for me other than weeb stuffs

Punk - hardcore - metal mix from my shithole country
youtu.be/mN17Ornvgwc

As in 'work on your tightness', play with a metronome very slowly until you don't even think or try to keep up with it

As in 'increasing the variety and knowledge of various rhythms', just listen to so many songs. Good rhythm guitar is usually very interesting but hidden beneath flashy stuffs

What's the point of having higher action than low? For thicker string gauges? Every guitar I've played with high action made me want cut my hands off.

I like medium high action for two reasons:
- I bend strings a lot. With super low action my finger will end up on top of neighboring strings, making them ring when I don't want them to. With medium high action my finger won't do this.
- I play slide in standard tuning and often play slide and without slide in the same song. I'm not a "separate guitar for the songs you play slide on" kind of guy. You'll hit the frets with your slide with super low action.
I use 9's on 24.75" scale lengths and 8's on 25.5" scale lengths so my shit isn't too hard to play despite the medium high action, and because I bend strings so much. I used to use 10's and 9's but I found that callous maintenance was better with 9's and 8's; the heavier shit tore my callouses up with as much as I string bend.

My suggestion isn't a listening-on-headphones type of amp, but I always recommend Roland Jazz Chorus for amps. Cleans are clean. Takes effects like a champ. Only problem is it isn't quiet. At all.

Buy it and sell another.

TUNE YOUR GUITAR WHAT THE FUCK

I don't think that's possible...

What do these lines mean? Can't I just play these like arpeggios?

Well that makes sense. I remember getting a slide and having it bump on the frets. I'm a brainlet and never thought to try it on a higher action. I'll have to try it out sometime if I can ever find my slide.

It means let the note ring after picking it.

I have big hands and low action makes me play sloppier because I always hit the other strings. Plus it's easier to mute the strings you don't want to hit. And yes, I bend a lot. I played on a poor action dreadnought with extra heavy strings to the point that my left hands fingers can barre despite poor action, let alone on an electric.

hey what's up /shitty-players-spamming-crappy-riffs/ general!

nuthin much, how about you?

Will you please spam one of your crappy riffs? It helps to break up the questions about hurt wrists and gear.

youtu.be/mY5iot_OoX0

listen to all of sonic youth

Nut slots can be lowered to be the same clearance as every other fret regardless of setup. A properly set up nut will improve the intonation of your guitar drastically and a simple twist of the truss rod will bring back your open strings without making your guitar play like a cheap piece of shit.

Basically, you're allowed to prefer a high nut the same way you're allowed to prefer a warped neck, or an incorrect string radius, or whatever. You can prefer that. But frankly, you'd be better off in every way with a properly set up nut.

High nuts are not a feature, they are a cost saving measure that hides other set up issues and ruin your intonation.

...Except for slide guitar of course

waddaya think

>kinda want to buy a bass to try it out as an addition to my guitar
>see people raving about a €130 Harley Benton 4 string bass (PJ4)
Well that's like no money at all. Very tempted.

those things are shit
i mean they're better than nothing i guess but a vm jazz bass or something like that will be a lot nicer

Cort Action basses are generally pretty good considering they're some of the cheapest basses one can get. Of course the pickups are kinda shit (makes sense when a good set of pickups would cost about the same as the bass itself) but everything else has been fine on every one I tried.

lower action is desirable for softer picking and legato. However, if you really dig in and strike your strings, you'll have a higher tendency to have induce buzz while picking harder. It's all about finding a balance.

holy christ, tune your guitar and stop bleeding all your treble out of your guitar with that tone knob, you knob.

So I'm thinking of getting myself another acoustic.
I already have a Gibson Hummingbird. So I'm wondering if there is any guitars which would compliment it. Meaning it gets some sounds you don't get from the hummingbird.
I've been thinking about a Gibson SJ-200, but I'm afraid it's to much Gibson then.
A parlour guitar is also tempting, as I've heard they better lend themselves to fingerplay, and they're easier to carry around. What would be a good parlour then?
Are there any alternatives I haven't thought of? Bonus points for something that stands out a bit, think the flower designs on the SJ-200 or pic related.

How can you get good sounding distortion without being too loud? Pedals?

>buys an expensive tube amp because tubes are so superior, knowing tube amps sound kinda shit unless cranked up way beyond reasonable volume
>wants to play quietly

If the guitar plays right, go for an amp. Always. It is more tempting to buy a guitar, but what you need to sound good is the amp.
A strat is always the answer, but the strings shouldn't pop out from the saddles if the jazzmaster has a proper set up.

Did you change the guitar? Are you playing something new? Does it hurt when rotating the wrist or pressing down the fingers?

playing a c chord then going to a d chord is hard :(

He sounds like crap to me, so I think it's possible.
All mahogany Martin. One of the 15ML.

you in europe? if so, go for it. Just make sure you get the right model, harley benton does make some real crap guitars.

Yeah, sometimes if I'm practicing and something gets stuck in my head I'll shit it out onto logic through my scarlett 2i2 and put some basic synths behind it

Don't listen to these plebs, this is the next Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt.

low volume high gain

clyp.it/a2ppxgnc

My wrist got really sore whilst playing this. Any advice?

This guitar thing is hard

What did you expect? I have been playing for around 20 years and I still can't play like I want to.

Figured I'd be a living legend by now tbqh

I guess at some point we all do. Welcome to the club.

>>Great bass opening to a song
>>Ruined the instant someone starts singing