Jazz

Sup Sup Forums, who are your favourite jazz musicians and your favourite album, pic very related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_k5SSdcAxqo
youtube.com/watch?v=208llBGfElE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

favourite album from them, my bad

i like don cherry's "eternal rhythm"

Sup Forums is literally retarded when it comes to jazz

Out of Airplanes by David Binney is a great album though

>Sup Forums is retarded about fighting games
>Sup Forums is retarded about jazz

Sup Forums just doesnt understand black culture.

McCoy Tyner and Sahara

This is my favorite lately

Been digging this one lately, also "The Clown" and "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady". From Coltrane I would throw in "Coltrane Jazz", "Ole" and "Live at the Village Vanguard".

frank wright and noah howard really get me going

McCoy is the bomb.

Thelonious

He really shines in a trio because you can actually hear how insane of a piano player he is. With horns and flutes, it either sounds like everybody is trying to keep up, or he has to slow down to accommodate them.

He just plays like nobody else. His solo piano stuff is what got me into jazz in the first place and he's still my favorite. He's the reason I made the jump from classical on the piano

Pharoah sanders is my favorite, lately I've been digging this one a lot. Love Will Find A Way is one of the most passionate songs.

Oh fuck, forgot pic

Favorites:
Clifford Brown
Bud Powell
Charlie Parker
Eric Dolphy
Bill Evans
Charles Mingus
Sarah Vaughan
Antonio Carlos Jobim (more Latin/Bossa)
Horace Silver
Max Roach
Scott LaFaro

Favorite albums:
Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown
The Scene Changes - Bud Powell
Horace-Scope - Horace Silver
Blues & Roots - Charles Mingus
Portrait in Jazz - Bill Evans Trio
Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Max Roach
Wave - Antonio Carlos Jobim
Tide - Antonio Carlos Jobim
After Hours - Sarah Vaughan
Far Cry - Eric Dolphy
Charlie Parker with Strings - Charlie Parker

no particular order really, just my favorites as of now

Jaco is the undisputed GOAT bassist

agreed

Anyone know good arranged jazz flute stuff? I'm learning it and I need recital material. I can play part 1 (slowed a bit) and part 5 from pic related.

why do jazz threads die so quick man, fuck Sup Forums

Do you guys play or do you just listen? I feel that jazz is kind of a geeky "musicians music"

Listening to pic related on the train right now. It's good

>Favourites
Jaco Pastorius, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, John Coltrane, Alice Coltrane, Miles Davis.
My knowledge of jazz is pleb-tier

Still trying to learn Teen Town ;_;

I’ve been listening to Archie Shepp recently, specifically pic related

Rashaan Roland Kirk

If you enjoy giant steps and countdown, you will enjoy the tunes satellite and 26-2 off of Coltrane’s Sound.

Yeah sameish changes

Just practice with a metronome at a comfortable tempo and gradually increase the speed and you'll nail it in no time man!

I've been trying to get into jazz for the past 6 months or so. I'd listened to it a few times but never really "got" it. Well awhile ago I was working on learning some composition stuff, trying to get out of my rut and catch up with other musicians who were in lessons their whole life. Eventually I got led to some jazz pieces, and I finally got it. The first time I heard "Two Lonely People" I fell in love. I really want to get in to it more, but a lot of it still just doesn't click with me. Am I jazz-ing wrong?

No wrong way to jazz man

>Sup Forums is retarded about fighting games
>Sup Forums just doesnt understand black culture.
Explain yourself.

Love a lot of artists and albums, really can't choose one above them all. Current favorite would be probably Mulatu Astatke, really cool. If you guys haven't checked Ethio-Jazz yet, go and check it.
Also started to get a little bit into Latin Jazz, really like pic related, love all the percussion sounds in this music.
I think it's the best to just stop trying to "get it" and just try to enjoy the music. Maybe it's just not for you man. Try more Bill Evans, maybe you'll like more cool jazz.I'll also recommend Kind of blue (if you haven't tried already) and "now he sings now he sobs" by Chic Corea.

youtube.com/watch?v=_k5SSdcAxqo

>too sophisticated for plebs
>not sophisticated enough for people whoare acttually sophisticated (ie: /classical/)

>not sophisticated enough for people whoare acttually sophisticated (ie: /classical/)
That really depends on the jazz player. If you like phase music I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy some modal jazz.

youtube.com/watch?v=208llBGfElE

I feel jazz is way more appreciated when you play it.
Learn a standard for a week then listen to one of the masters play it. Gets you humble real quick
Pic related is what I've been digging at the moment

This is really good

Yeah I feel ya. The more I understand the more I like it.
I like that album too! Gonna have to give it a listen again soon

What do you play?

good shit

Bolling made a second flute/piano trio in case you weren't aware.
I never thought I'd see this on Sup Forums, Irlandaise is still to this day the only song I've ever cried to.

I slept on this one for so long since it was one of those "unofficial" releases the record company put out themselves but holy shit is it among his best. Crazy to think it's from the same sessions as My Favorite Things. Coltrane could do no wrong, especially not in this period.

I used to play guitar. Got waitlisted for a decent jazz college but I never got back from them.
I quit and started a cooking career, from one hell to another

I tried learning Autumn Leaves once, mostly because it is said to be pretty easy as a standard. I thought I did alright, then I heard the version on Portrait in Jazz. That was humbling as fuck.
I feel most people who are in /classical/ don't care that much for phase music and the like. On the other hand I can't see someone who likes impressionism or to a lesser extent neoclassicism not taking at least a passing interest in jazz.

Yeah, I don't think they are excluding at all. Maybe to people who only like baroque, but I have never meet anyone like that under 70yo.

Even then, the Modern Jazz Quartet took a lot from baroque, and in more modern things there's always Mehldau.

You can always trace forms, but I think that's too much of an stretch. Why Mehldau would be associated with baroque?

>be me when I am masterbatin
>pic related

Counterpoint is the main distinctive thing about baroque - and also about his style.

Again too much of an stretch. Think about the 70yo listener and explain that the left hand of Mehldau is doing a counterpoint, therefore he should like it.

That's fair, that said the one baroque obsessed dude I met was this Adorno tier classical obsessed guy in his early 20's that only really warmed up to jazz after I showed him those two, so do with that what you will.

I succeeded a little bit with Ted Greene with some old timers, but that was it.

>one hell to another
Lmao. But a fun hell, I guess.
I enjoy cooking as a hobby but never considered it as a career.
Pic related is my baby

Tim Berne is currently my favourite, and this album is killer, just bought the new snakeoil and it kicks ass

>tfw jazz pianist and also very much into cooking
I'm starting to think there might be a correlation.

Always felt like I should've never learned guitar and should've convinced my parents to buy a bass. Never enjoyed playing chords but walking bass lines seemed more like my jam

Yes, good taste.

To Boddah

Speaking from the tongue of an experienced simpleton who obviously would rather be an emasculated, infantile complain-ee. This note should be pretty easy to understand.

All the warnings from the punk rock 101 courses over the years, since my first introduction to the, shall we say, ethics involved with independence and the embracement of your community has proven to be very true. I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music along with reading and writing for too many years now. I feel guity beyond words about these things.

For example when we're back stage and the lights go out and the manic roar of the crowds begins., it doesn't affect me the way in which it did for Freddie Mercury, who seemed to love, relish in the the love and adoration from the crowd which is something I totally admire and envy. The fact is, I can't fool you, any one of you. It simply isn't fair to you or me. The worst crime I can think of would be to rip people off by faking it and pretending as if I'm having 100% fun. Sometimes I feel as if I should have a punch-in time clock before I walk out on stage. I've tried everything within my power to appreciate it (and I do,God, believe me I do, but it's not enough). I appreciate the fact that I and we have affected and entertained a lot of people. It must be one of those narcissists who only appreciate things when they're gone. I'm too sensitive. I need to be slightly numb in order to regain the enthusiasms I once had as a child.

On our last 3 tours, I've had a much better appreciation for all the people I've known personally, and as fans of our music, but I still can't get over the frustration, the guilt and empathy I have for everyone. There's good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too fucking sad. The sad little, sensitive, unappreciative, Pisces, Jesus man. Why don't you just enjoy it? I don't know!

Doyoulike JAAAAAAAAZZZZZ

It's odd, apparently there's something of a liking for jazz (and, y'know, actual, "proper" jazz) over at /ck/ - at least with those that actually cook and aren't just fastfoodposting. There's some exploration to be done.

I think it's just the sybarite culture. It comes with age.

The jazz musician is most likely not making enough money through the music so they will most likely take side-jobs, and kitchen jobs are some of the easiest jobs you can get. All you need is to show up and some hustle and you can be a valuable dishwasher somewhere.