PHILOSOPHY!

What are some movies with philosophical themes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus
plato.stanford.edu/entries/camus/
egs.edu/faculty/slavoj-zizek
egs.edu/faculty/slavoj-zizek/articles/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>what are some movies for unemployed people

>what are some movies for people with social/personality problems

>what are some movies where people talk around important ideas and pretend the language they've manufactured to talk around with has any substantial meaning

>what are some movies with ideologies for high schoolers

I'm not even sure what the fuck my problem is. I lived with some guys who were obsessed with Terrence Mckenna and and Camus and talked big about philosophy but were irresponsible, violent drunks.

All of them in one way or another

deep. so deep. so deep i put her ass to sleep.

Bump for interest.

Could you expand? Closest thing I can really think of right now is The Man from Earth.

What are you after? Movies where people reflect much more before making each decision and the viewer hears it, or just simple moral dilemmas, or both?

Ill tell you the obvious ones:
Mulholland Dr.
The Tree of Life
Under the Skin
Synecdoche, New York
Celine and Julie Go Boating
Dogville
Pierro le fou
The End of Evangelion(watch the tv series first)
Adaptation.
Goodbye to Language
88:88
American Beauty

Tarkovsky and Bergman, watch everything by them

Seventh Seal
La prima notte di quiete

Thin Red Line
Come and See
Whiplash

matrix

90% of them

who hurt u

>Terrence Mckenna and and Camus

That's not philosophy, you fucking moron. Try W.V. Quine and Carl Hempel.

movie related since it became a movie. I highly recommend you to read the Dune series at least up to the fourth book.

Absolutely do not watch the movie(s) though. Pure dogshit adaptations

Man of Steel

Enter the Dragon
Game of Death

Ghost in the Shell
The Matrix
No Country for Old Men

Dunston 2: Dunston Checks Out

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972)
Being John Malkovich (1999)
Blade Runner (1982)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Dogville (2003)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Gattaca (1997)
The Man from Earth (2007)
The Matrix (1999)
Memento (2001)
Metropolis (1927)
Minority Report (2002)
My Dinner with Andre (1981)
Pi (1998)
The Seventh Seal (1957)
Solaris (1972)
Stalker (1979)
The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
The Tree of Life (2011)
The Truman Show (1998)
Waking Life (2001)

Spring Breakers

ebin

I watched 12 Monkeys last night and it was rife with philosophical thematic elements

The question itself stems from a misunderstanding of what a "philosophical theme" is. As such, this user is right:
Some might more directly deal with certain philosophical arguments, or present more poignant support for certain positions, if that's what you're wanting.

Being into philosophy doesn't preclude one from being an irresponsible, violent drunk. There are some philosophical systems that might encourage violent drunkenness.

Read some Aristotle, Nietzsche, and Heidegger if you want some philosophy that champions sobriety and hard work.

Any "theme" can be looked at philosophically.

There are certain themes that philosophy generally tends to explore more frequently than others, though (moral dilemmas, the existence of the supernatural, knowledge, etc).

Everything in your post is wrong.

Explain.

>ITT: i literally dont know, everything i guess!

If you all dont know what to say, just shut the fuck up.

OP, here have a sensible reccomendation youll enjoy thoroughly: I Heart Huckabees (2004).

>there are people
>ITT right now
>that think there is ANY philosophy with any valid meaning that isnt just muh opinions aside from nihilism or a philosophy found in some real deity

this thread isn't any good

Unironically, Fight Club

Also I wrote a metaphysics paper on Bill and Ted so I agree that almost every movie can be philosophical

>He doesn't know Spinoza

>If you all dont know what to say, just shut the fuck up.
If OP wants to ask very broad questions he's going to get very broad answers.

You have no idea what philosophy even is, pleb.

All Camus ever really said definitively was that you ivory tower folk should take a bath every once in awhile and yet time and fucking time again you keep protesting that you've already wiped yourself down with moist towelettes

Conan

Camus was a novelist and essayist, shitcocker. He did zero philosophy.

protip: nobody does

Time for bed, kiddo.

"Cuck"

Every Tarkovsky movie is unironically a "The characters discuss different philosophical perspectives"

Pretty much all of Stanley Kubrick's films qualify.

The Man from earth is pretty bad, and not really philosophical. Has the GOAT premise though.

Sounds like me.

Except I think Camus is a hack.

I don't know what's wrong with me either. Wish I could stop drinking and smoking :(

Knight of Cups

This op seems to be a high schooler's homework question. Even google can answer this.

ITT: people who never studied Philosophy

The Tao of Steve
Barcelona
Kicking and Screaming

The Stranger was fucking shit, Camus sucks

Anything by Snyder

Kicking and Screaming was underrated.

lel

Yeah, Chris Eigeman had a good run of roles around that time. Kicking and Screaming was decent.

Can't tell if it's bait or just uberpleb.

Philosophyfag here, some films that occasionally come up during classes:

>2001, highly pertinent for Nietzsche and singularity
>Andrei Rublev, strong foundation for aesthetics
>Blade Runner, mentioned every fucking time a professor wants an example for personal identity and transhumanism
>Clockwork Orange, brings up some interesting topics about political philosophy and the state of nature
>Persona, also strongly related with personal identity

Ever seen The Anvil Hoarder (1930), OP? There are some interesting ideological themes in there.

all of them

The Thin Red Line
The Tree of Life
Melancholia
Synecdoche, New York
Enter the Void
Samsara
The Qatsi trilogy
Baraka
Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring
Waking Life
The Matrix
The Seventh Seal
Groundhog Day

What are you? 19?

10/10 kinograficu

lol
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus

Not philosophy, kiddo.

Batman V Superman
Man Of Steel
Good Will Hunting
Proof
The Master
Interstellar

>In the essay, Camus introduces his philosophy of the absurd

>camus was not a philosopher

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
Albert Camus
>Albert Camus (1913–1960) was a journalist, editor and editorialist, playwright and director, novelist and author of short stories, political essayist and activist—and arguably, although he came to deny it, a philosopher.

Retard

Jesus fucking Christ you teenagers are annoying. Camus was a journalist and fiction writer, not a philosopher.

>Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Oh, I'm sorry, do you happen to have an entry at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy?

I'm also probably older than you, kiddo.

>implying you have to be professional philosopher to do philosphy

>implying you have to be professional philosopher to do philosphy

A few were employed by departments of Physics or Mathematics, but there are no "freelance philosophers" of note in the past 200 years.

>Albert Camus (1913–1960) was a journalist, editor and editorialist, playwright and director, novelist and author of short stories, political essayist and activist—and arguably, although he came to deny it, a philosopher
>Albert Camus was arguably a philosopher

Nothing here saying he wasn't a philosopher.

Were you dropped on your head?

You sound like someone who's never left school
Just the way you made the OP, it's like a killswitch to actual philosophical thought

Like there's going to be a quiz at the end of the week. Putting philosophy into that context destroys interest in the subject matter
And your thread carries the stench of it's corpse that's rotting within you

If he wasn't a philosopher than his not being a philosopher would be inarguable. If he is arguably a philosopher, then his being a philosopher is arguable.

THE FILMOGRAPHY OF INGMAR BERGMAN

Would you prefer to be, or not to be?

>here have a sensible reccomendation youll enjoy thoroughly: I Heart Huckabees (2004).
Thank fuck someone in here knows what they're talking about

>implying all philosophy doesn't begin as freelance philosophy

>do you realize that greentext is often used to highlight a claim someone else made because it has been used in electronic replies for decades?

Camus is straight-up not a philosopher. His work is not in the canon of 20th Century Philosophy, or even close. He is studied in Literature departments, because he was a literary artist, and did not address topics in metaphysics or epistemology in systematic manner the way philosophers do. When you get to college, it will make more sense.

The Walking Dead

You know, how are humans reacting when rules collapse

inb4 some autist posts ANYTHING regarding that pseudo-philosophical marxist retard "I don't believe in modern science and biology" Zizek

Sounds more like sociology. Philosophy is the study of the fundamental structure of reality -- space, time, causality, existence, properties, etc.

Then why does the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy have an entry on Camus?

>Although he forcefully separated himself from existentialism, Camus posed one of the twentieth century's best-known existentialist questions, which launches The Myth of Sisyphus: “There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide” (MS, 3).

>And his philosophy of the absurd has left us with a striking image of the human fate: Sisyphus endlessly pushing his rock up the mountain only to see it roll back down each time he gains the top.

>It also embroiled him in conflict with his friend, Jean-Paul Sartre, provoking the major political-intellectual divide of the Cold-War era as Camus and Sartre became, respectively, the leading intellectual voices of the anti-Communist and pro-Communist left. Furthermore, in posing and answering urgent philosophical questions of the day, Camus articulated a critique of religion and of the Enlightenment and all its projects, including Marxism.

>The Paradoxes of Camus's Absurdist Philosophy

>In his book-length essay, The Myth of Sisyphus, Camus presents a philosophy that contests philosophy itself. This essay belongs squarely in the philosophical tradition of existentialism but Camus denied being an existentialist. Both The Myth of Sisyphus and his other philosophical work, The Rebel, are systematically skeptical of conclusions about the meaning of life, yet both works assert objectively valid answers to key questions about how to live.

Not being in "The Canon™" doesn't make him a non-philosopher.
Studying other shit and having a career that isn't philosopher doesn't make him a non-philosopher.
Not addressing certain topics or problems doesn't make him a non-philosopher.
Not building a system doesn't make him a non-philosopher.

Next you're going to tell me that Nietzsche wasn't a philosopher.

Now that you mention it:

The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
The Pervert's Guide to Ideology

>Philosophy is the study of the fundamental structure of reality -- space, time, causality, existence, properties, etc.

I think you may be confusing physics with metaphysics, not that existence doesn't crossover.

Oh yeah, my bad.

Thin Red Line then.
You know thinking about stuff in a canoe

I don't know a whole lot about Zizek but his analysis of They Live was spot on.

>The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
>The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
Embarrassing.

>What are some movies with philosophical themes?

I'm sorry, were some documentaries by an actual philosopher too off-topic for a thread about movies with philosophical themes you fucking ret/a/rd?

That movie with Kirsten Dunst's magnificent mammaries.

>we are alone in the universe
>our existence is not important
>what really matters is making a tent for the nephew and not drinking wine

>actual philosopher
My dog's turds are a better philosopher than zizek

Tbh my college philosophy Dept made him req'd reading because he addressed and advanced important philosophical themes, though they made it clear that his work was literary.

If you want to use "philosopher" so that it applies to basically everyone, then yes -- everyone is a "philosopher" in the broad sense. George Carlin was a "philosopher". Philip K Dick was a "philosopher". Etc.

I am talking about Philosophy as it is actually practiced today, and has historically been practiced in the last two and a half millennia. When you go to college or grad school and study Philosophy, you will not be studying people like Camus who made a few random musings about "human nature" and whatnot. You will be studying the works of people like Aristotle, Kant, Frege -- and in the 20th Century: Quine, Rawls, Kripke, etc. Those are just the facts.

> yfw modern philisophical develpomenent is such a joke modern ceconomies such as Koriea is a joke

HAHAHAH

HHAAHHAHAHAHAHA

Thailand

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA TOKYO

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA SHUT UP WHITE RICE BITCH WAITU PIGGU Across GLOBALISM

HAHAHHA FEEL FREE TO FIGHT AGAINST ME HAHAHAHAHAAAAHGAHAHAHH

This. Philosophy is a meme.

Nope. Working physicists are notorious for shying away from such fundamental questions. Most prefer to stick to observable data and "shut up and calculate". There are a few who cross over into philosophy - notably Einstein, Bohm, and JS Bell. But most are happy to leave such questions to metaphysicians (who of course are well-trained in the relevant physics).

You don't have to agree with a philosopher to recognize their contributions to the field.

egs.edu/faculty/slavoj-zizek
>Many, in fact, now consider Žižek to be “the most dangerous philosopher in the West.”

egs.edu/faculty/slavoj-zizek/articles/

Yes, I'm sure The European Graduate School will agree with your claim that your "dog's turds" are a better philosopher.

>contributions
lolno

>“the most dangerous philosopher in the West.”
Who gives a shit?
He's WRONG about many things.
Who the fuck is dumb enough to be a marxist in this day and age?

>When you go to college or grad school and study Philosophy, you will not be studying people like Camus who made a few random musings about "human nature" and whatnot.
I already have my Bachelor's. We studied Camus in Existentialism.

Your criteria is so strict you probably wouldn't consider Diogenes or Nietzsche philosophers.