Assuming one of these films will be lost forever, which should be preserved for future generations and why?

Assuming one of these films will be lost forever, which should be preserved for future generations and why?

remove Aliens

I would gladly give in Cameron's entire filmography for the Miller's masterpiece

Painful question op. Slight edge to aliens as it is the safe pick. We don't know for sure how Fury Road will age. I'd imagine very well due to the practical effects but there is no way to be sure. I want to pick Fury Road because of
>RIIIPLAAAAYYY
But ya, save Aliens.

Aliens is probably the most overrated garbage of all time. It's not like Fury Road is worth saving but mankind would be just a little bit better off without Aliens.

Both are mindless action flicks. Both should be trashed.

Aliens so that it can no longer besmirch the legacy of Alien.

How has Aliens been a deleterious influence to mankind or film?

Aliens is a fine flick but it should burn in hell for what it did to the franchise.
This is one of the few movies I genuinely wish I could erase from existence, and it's not even a bad movie.
Fury Road should be preserved without question

Aliens is a childish mess. To this day, I don't understand why people praise it for taking an inventive and groundbreaking science fiction horror film, and turning it into teenage-pandering militaristic trollop.

>but it should burn in hell for what it did to the franchise
Even if the franchise never shifted into the action genre, it doesn't mean it would have continued to be masterpieces. Anyone remember Alien 3?

>Bashing Cameron
>Praising strong independent woman flick

Sure is reddit in here.

Not even trying to bait, but this, honestly.

I didn't really think Aliens was that great. People say it's a classic like Jurassic Park but I didn't really feel it was that great. Maybe 7/10. Better than 3 and 4, but that's not saying much.

Aliens is great, but Fury Road would be my pick. Just incredible.

These

Most Cameron movies are rubbish. The Abyss is the only one I can honestly say is a great film.

If it wasn't for Aliens, I doubt there would even BE an Alien franchise in the first place. If Aliens did not exist, Alien would be held in high regard, but there likely wouldn't be any sequels.
Aliens is partially what allowed Alien 3 and Resurrection to exist. If it didn't exist, these movies would not exist either.

this

poe's law sure is strong ITT

You realize that James Cameron was approached by the studio to direct, right? Even if he said no, someone was going to make a sequel, prequel, or spin-off eventually. Alien was too successful and had too much potential to leave alone.

One of them is a masterclass in art direction, pacing, and cinematic combat, the other is Aliens.

And nothing of value would be lost

I know Jim was approached to direct it and that's precisely the problem: Aliens was successful, it was a monster hit. Like I said before, it's not a bad movie. If there's anything James Cameron knows how to do is to lure in rivers of money with his projects. It's success is the problem.

If the Alien sequel was just a typical shitty horror sequel like Nightmare On Elm Street 2 or everything that came after the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, sure, we might have gotten worse movies, but Alien would likely never have turned into the mega sci-fi action cashcow it became. The legacy of the original would be mostly untainted, since it would be the primary influence on whatever sequel or spin-off eventually happened. There would be more sequels, of course, but certainly not anything like Alien 3 or Resurrection or Prometheus.

It would be much easier to ignore these sequels in the same way we ignore The Thing's reboot/sequel.

Obviously Alien was fated to become a franchise. But think about what the franchise could have been like if Aliens did not exist or wasn't such an influence on the series

Fury Road.

Aliens is very cliched. And if that's the "Hamlet is cliched" effect, the type of movie that Aliens is one of the first of, that dominated the late 80s and 90s, is one that I'm sick of.

I get the feeling that the James Cameron tropes leaked into every action movie of a similar type.
The "good guy" marines are goofy to the point of comedy and only serve the role of the horror movie teenage camper gang, and the alien queen isn't anywhere near as "scary" as the lone one from the first movie was, it was a much more childish sensibility than in the first movie.

Same thing happened with Cameron's Terminator movies. The first one hits the story notes spot on, and is as a result a good movie on its own merits as a story told through the craft of movies.
The second one ramps everything up in thinly thought-out ways, and infuses it all with that same childish sensibility.
People will say that the Ewoks from Return of the Jedi were out of place and crudely commercially-minded, but the difference in my eyes between T1 and T2 is much more significant given that T1 was not the same type of popcorn-muncher that Star Wars or ESB were.

Meanwhile, Fury Road, while not anything spectacular at all as a story, was very memorable and engaging as a self-aware spectacle, rather than a cynical watering-down of the movies whose legacy it stands on.

>inb4 it's sacrilege to not like Terminator 2

Is it official? Does Sup Forums hate James Cameron?

Are you out of your fucking mind??

Everything James Cameron made after Terminator 1 (his first film) is self-indulgent shlock.

> Everything James Cameron made after Terminator 1 (his first film) is self-indulgent shlock.

Can you elaborate? Genuinely curious.

Nice try

aliens is trash but mad max fury road is literally a 0/10

The Shawshank Redemption

what's it like to have taste that bad

Aliens should be saved. But if Fury Road is trashed forever, Prometheus has to go with it.

>pointless action flicks are good

It's probably exaggeration to call Aliens and T2 *shlock*, but they're too different from their predecessors, and foreshadow all the hallmarks of James Cameron's later works and almost all mainstream action movies for twenty+ years, so I include them in that dismissal even though they have elements that elevate them from the likes of Avatar.

The movies are all formulated so as to appeal to the masses with heavily-signposted, bombastic, and maudlin set-pieces. Avatar was just the first movie where it fell flat, whereas Aliens and T2 worked for low-tier nerds and action-movie audiences, and Titanic worked for the "period movie" audience. If Cameron's talent as a director of cinematography and effects wasn't so technically gifted, those movies would be recognised as, if not *bad* movies, then at least the "guilty pleasures" they should be recognised as, though I personally fail to derive any pleasure from them outside the technical besides T2, and the sci-fi "expanded universe" of Aliens.

>i dislike an entire genre
What's it like to have taste that bad

>pointless

Fury Road is light on narrative and emphasizes the action of its setpieces. Cameron, like Miller, has a strong visual eye and knows how to shoot a film. And I think most will agree that his storytelling and characters are better than that of most films. Especially in the action genre. What makes Cameron's films shlock and mindless? Would you not say Aliens and T2 are pretty atmospheric?

Aliens feels like a long commercial of toys for kids.

this desu

No he's our guy
You're right, T2 is his weakest movie by far

Remove yourself

I prefer Fury Road but I'll say remove it. Mad Max would be perfectly fine if another movie was never made, but without Aliens we wouldn't have James Cameron's entire career. So yeah I'll trade fury road and further sequels for The Abyss, True Lies, T2, Titanic, and Avatar + sequels

Facehugger yourself

>Aliens gave birth to the Halo Games, inspired lots of other sci fi movies
No way can you let Aliens disappear from existence

save Fury Road

>but without Aliens we wouldn't have James Cameron's entire career

Holy shit, remove Aliens

Holy shit, remove aliens

>somebody made something popular and everyone else wanted make something like it because it was so well made
literally the state of (YOU)

Aliens is an above-average action movie with some iconic pulp sci-fi imagery that spawned a lot of competent follow-up works. Fury Road is an above-average action movie that didn't really accomplish much more than making George Miller famous again and get plebs and normalfaggots to think they're Mad Max fans even though they'd rather eat shit than sit through the first movie, which is the best one.

delet Fury Road, keep Cameron-kino.

James Cameron vs George Miller. Who is the better filmmaker and why? You can use any movie they've written or directed to support your argument.

Mad Max.

But I'm Australian, and without films like this our industry would shrivel up and die.

You need to be 18 to post here.

>above average action movie

You mean a benchmark for action movies and a timeless classic? You mean the first sci fi action film with a totally amazing production design?

>MUH XENOMORPH HEADS
>MUH NOT ALIEN

Gas yourself

>tfw someone who calls aliens childish has a ridiculous over-attachment to the sanctity of the alien character probably formed in childhood

Aliens of course for a myriad of reasons. Here's 6 of the top of my mind

Sigourney's ass
Based autist Cameron in his prime
classic
Sigourney's ass
No le big guy 4 u pretending to be a character he isn't
Sigourney's ass