Metal isn't go-

>metal isn't go-
youtube.com/watch?v=kHsHrH245PU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3uSM-ihNGHs
youtube.com/watch?v=1on9_JYgTLU
youtube.com/watch?v=0OZ35JMJfy4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is this their best album metalhead anons? This is the only one I've heard and I like the sound but don't love every track

Their music doesn't bump, and too many of their transitions are random instead of being built off what came before. That being said, I do think they keep their structures more coherent on Still Life and Blackwater Park.

Maybe give Still Life a chance? Or give My Arms, Your Hearse a chance if you liked the heavy parts; give Damnation a chance if you liked the softer parts.

>Their music doesn't bump
this isn't hip hop, hunni bunni

Still life is better imo but they're both pretty much the best Opeth has to offer. I loved Opeth when I was a teenager but looking back on it some of the songs are a little clingy and teen angsty.

Your Arms My Hearse has good moments too.

how do you feel about Black Rose Immortal lad

The songwriting is good in most parts, but the production is obviously rough (as is the rest of Morningrise).
I've moved on to other types of metal so honestly a lot of the softer parts sound cringey and gay. I enjoy it but I wouldn't be comfortable playing it with other people in the room.

Deliverance is a good one too, actually. Looking back on it, I'd say Deliverance is the heaviest (and stands up best now that I'm an adult), whereas Blackwater is reflective and emotional, and Still Life is experimental and conceptual.

everyone's heard opeth you fucking 12 year old

Opeth is timeless
also irrelevant comment

I'll go with other anons here and recommend Still Life. That's my favorite of their albums.

Excluding post-Watershed albums there isn't really an album of theirs I WOULDN'T recommend. But Still Life would be the best first shot.

The Moor got to be my favorite Opeth track.

Really good song, certainly.

It was Godhead's Lament which won me over. That's the song which got me into metal in general - before then I didn't really pay attention to the genre.

-od.

Still Life - Watershed era Opeth in general is like the most accessible extreme metal out there. The production is spot on, the clean passages act as a breather from the heavy shit, and even Mikael's growls are easy on the ears compared to other metal growls. It's not bad but you could take the most staunch anti-metal fan out there and it wouldn't surprise me that they were actually a closet fan of something like Blackwater Park or Damnation.

They usually gotta enjoy prog, too though. Someone who otherwise likes bangers will probably find At The Gates or In Flames far more accessible.

For whatever reason, Deliverance is the only one i can get into.

>not enjoying progrockpeth

Thats because deliverance and damnation are their best

Progpeth is kinda dull. It's not explicitly bad, just unexciting for the most part. I guess some of Pale Communion is slightly more alright than the others but it's not like I've listened to any of them more than 2 or 3 times.

Not brootal enuff huh

I still like Heritage and beyond. I just wouldn't recommend them to someone as their first listening experience for Opeth. The bulk of their work is progressive death metal, so they should start with one of the best albums in that style.

In fact I'd probably revise my answer and say Ghost Reveries should be the initial cutoff point, with Watershed coming later on. Heritage may have been the turning point for Opeth, but the album before it also had signs that there was a looming identity crisis.

that doesn't change its ability to bump

Not him, but I always found their prog stuff a little bland; they occasionally would do something interesting and then settle back down again.

My personal favorite is their first one, Orchid, but My Arms, Your Hearse is their best one. Blackwater Park is actually their weakest one out of the first five and was the beginning of their demise.

Ghost Reveries is probably as valid a starting point as Still Life or Blackwater Park. Watershed's interesting though, if only for that looming crisis you're referring to.

nice buzzwords

I'm a hardcore Opeth fan but Still Life doesn't do anything for me, I don't really understand why. I listened to every album like 1000 times now and my favorites remain Ghost Reveries and Watershed. But of course each album has some excellent tracks that I love and regularly listen to. But the songwriting on their older albums wasn't that great and eventually I got tired of it

nah man Deliverance is their weakest except for Heritage

Sorceress isn't that bad. I was pleasantly surprised. I still think BWP is their best, though.

It's good, but overrated and circlejerked to death. I'd personally take Morningrise or Ghost Reveries over Blackwater Park any day.

Yeah, GR is definitely a high point. It isn't like Watershed is wildly different or anything (or bad either - it's still a great album), I just think it's best left until later on after someone's taken in the ones before it. Female vocals in the intro track, blast beats, that ultra-prog section in The Lotus Eater, the bonus track Mellotron Heart, and the entirety of Hessian Peel - those all came off to me like they wanted to move their sound forward but weren't entirely sure how to do it. Then Heritage dropped, and that restlessness became obvious. Pale Communion was something of a course correction for them, where they figured out what they wanted to do. I might be wrong in all of that - it's just how I see it.

>nah man Deliverance is their weakest except for Heritage
I...sort of agree. At least in that there were better cuts on it than the title track which I think spends too long making its point. 13 minutes of music, and a big chunk of that is just going over the same ideas multiple times.

It had some kinda weak points but it isn't bad at all.

>isn't bad at all
It's painfully mediocre, though.

I'd say Still Life, Watershed and Ghost Reveries are Opeth at their pinnacle. That being said I really enjoy their new Prog Rock releases, Pale Communion is an excellent album aswell as Heritage & Sorceress. You really can't say that Opeth have put out a bad record over their entire career.

Fantastic album. Quintessential Opeth, alongside albums like Ghost Reveries and Watershed. That being said,

Opeth is for soyboy nu-males. try listening to real death metal

youtube.com/watch?v=3uSM-ihNGHs
youtube.com/watch?v=1on9_JYgTLU
youtube.com/watch?v=0OZ35JMJfy4

Opeth's for skinnyfat nerds, but that stuff ain't any better as it's for neckbeard virgins

what does skinnyfat look like?

fuck off retard, "real" death metal is garbage

Opeth is that band that I'm always afraid to say that I really enjoy because everyone just assumes you're a pleb for liking them. But I really really like Opeth.

Opeth is not pleb
you can say that you like them happily, without being concerned over being called a faggot.
Dream Theater there was a same assumption, nope also good.

t. nu-males who can't info riffs
don't worry, you'll realize the errs of your way eventually. I enjoyed Opeth in 9th grade before I started listening to real metal. they're a decent gateway band but you'll soon realize how shallow their songwriting is

Here's your (You), "Real Metal" Faggot...

>riffs
i don't care about riffs or about br00tal grind. i got into opeth because of beautiful folk and prog mixed with some death metal elements. i found it an interesting combination which eventually made me explore more progressive music like classical and jazz

>butthurt nu-males

Ghost Reveries is GOAT

Blowpeth, kek

go back to /metal/ you edgelords

>make a thread about a metal album
>go back to /metal/ you edgelords