Trying to put together a new band with a fresh, unique sound

>trying to put together a new band with a fresh, unique sound
>everyone seems to be into dusty old man music thats already been done to death

motherfuckers just have no vision these days...the 70s are over.

i made lots of innovations in my music making and i thought i was dope but then i later determined that they were almost all bad innovations

the point i'm suggesting is that a unique sound is totally possible but that it's better to just make music that is authentic to what you like about music. something can be original and bad.

Pro tip: your vision is nothing new either. You have no talent. Shush!

doesn't everyone feel that way? I'm pretty sure most other musicians you approach might think your fresh unique sound is dusty old man music also

>prog rock will never be popular again

>live in mid size city, drummer
>want to start post rock band
>try to find guitarist through craigslist
>it's all boomer dadrockers playing bachman turner overdrive and metalheads

YOU MISERABLE PRESUMPTUOUS NO TALENT

it's ok, the world doesn't need more post rock

>thinking theres anything left to do with guitar music

lol dude, learn how to use a DAW

>tfw had shit taste in music in high school
>would listen to mostly popular rock singles and the occasional full album like Led Zeppelin 4, Dookie by Green Day, mid-2000s Black Keys, Talking Heads
>friend turns me into different stuff for us playing shows at our school
>gets me into Tame Impala, Elliott Smith, The Cure, Wilco, Sun Kil Moon, Death Grips, the normalfag Sup Forums shit
>nowadays in a band with mostly similar musically interested people and end up making actual interesting music that's not "generic hard rock band #6379" or generic indie pop like Metric or Arctic Monkeys but shit that gets us compared to everything from Brian Wilson to Teen Suicide
>get offers to play major venues and actually playing and getting genuine applause and not pity claps
tl;dr convert your normalfag friends into different music and if it works you'll probably end up making some cool shit as long as you have some talent and competence in playing. Playing your own shit well is so goddamn satisfying even if it's a lot of work.

This. Invention for invention's sake is fucking retarded. Taking something that exists and mastering it seems to be a forgotten value to the snowflakes on this board.

he's a quick guide:
>if GENRE = RAP
>goto trash

>hiphop seems to be the only outlet for modern male anger these days

>2018
>make a band with a " fresh, unique sound"

what did op mean by this?
what sound could you come up with in 2018 with a band thats fresh or new? its not possible OP

LE PHAT COLLER POPPING MAN
YU KNO MAH NAME IS NIK CROMPTON MAH COLLER STAY POPPING

just make trap songs op its whats in now and big in 2018

>deathgrips
>tame impala

oh boy here we go

agree
it's like trying to make a classical orchestra with fresh unique sound

You may refuse to believe it, but Mac DeMarco and Phil Elverum have original sounds and there are Soundcloud/Bandcamp musicians with original sounds as well.

there are plenty of different genres that haven't been mashed together that you could make something thematically and sonically cohesive out of
>b-but combining ideas is not making something unique!"
Literally everything is a combination or evolution of something previous. You can't create something out of nothing.

>mac demarco

but yeah theres some good hidden stuff on soundcloud and bandcamp i wish it were easier to find tho

I wouldn't say that it's completely retarded because even if the music with those innovations is itself mostly bad, other people can take those innovations and use them well, which is what happened in my case.