/experimental/

Hello friends and shitposting embryos, this is a thread for experimental music discussion. To clarify: Noise, drone, electroacoustic, free improvisation, futurism, indeterminacy, musique concrete, sound collage, and all that good stuff.

What have you been listening to? What have you been making? Movie and literature recommendations, concert experiences, gear, etc. are all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4T8jQfduN5s
natewooley.bandcamp.com/album/complete-syllables-music
izetskal.bandcamp.com/
discogs.com/label/399382-Recollection-GRM
youtube.com/watch?v=iyxkybJ__5Y
ne3s23p2.bandcamp.com/releases
soundcloud.com/nahofficial/tik-tok-but-its-ambient-noise
youtube.com/watch?v=BXnZbS8LT9U
wrongnine.bandcamp.com/album/lap
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/trans_canada/
dariocapasso.bandcamp.com/album/exper
youtube.com/watch?v=CSe3gNvUcSk&t=5s
prixrussolo.blogspot.bg/2017/12/2017-prix-russolo-winners-list-press.html
discord.gg/y9Tm9sE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the GRM label puts out some of the coolest sounding experimental electronic tracks. peep their Traces comps and this one

Been really into everything Burkhard Stangl has been on. He has a similar playstyle as Derek Bailey but much more minimal. I hope I can get really good at guitar and play like that one day

I've been listening to the new blockaders and Headboggle constantly. I can't get enough of either.

Here's my project:
hastingsatl.bandcamp.com
>confrontational ambient
>harsh noise
>shitty aesthetics

I'll be peeping this thread for more recent stuff. Works don't tend to go beyond the 90s unfortunately in such threads. But 21st century stuff I have been digging so far is the stuff in my chart.

Dataplex blew my mind, though I was expecting the microsounds to be more...micro and layered. But that really got fullfilled for me with the Viral Symphony and all the guys on trans_canada (Nicolas Bernier, Darren Copeland, Francis Dhomont, Louis Dufort, Gilles Gobeil, Robert Normandeau, Barry Truax, Hildegard Westerkamp almost all 21st century works from them, too) since both really delved into the whole granular synthesis thing with lots of tiny sounds with attention to detail. This kind of detail, if further implemented into other kinds of music, can really change how much control we can have over even the tiniest bit of music.

Posseur's Paysages is crazy though. Concrete bits and field recordings put together with folk recordings. I need to give it more of a listen though because it's long as shit.

I am not sure if it counts for this thread but I also am digging this qebrus record I found when some anons talked about the guy from the past few days. It sounds like very glitchy IDM/Flashcore, but I also love this one because of how detailed and versatile the sounds are.

youtube.com/watch?v=4T8jQfduN5s

This piece is amazing, and I love this thread so far.

natewooley.bandcamp.com/album/complete-syllables-music

This is really worth checking out.

GRM isn't a label

>I'll be peeping this thread for more recent stuff. Works don't tend to go beyond the 90s unfortunately in such threads.
mostly electroacoustic music was most interesting from the 60s through the 80s, a lot of people got stuck in a granular synthesis rut after that

I love empreintes digitales but their releases are all super overpriced and the artwork is fugly

the graphic design standards for this stuff went completely into the toilet

It's Canadian dollars, not that expensive...
Also who gives a shit about the artwork. Seriously listen to these Dolden pieces, they blow away everything else that came out in 2017. Meticulous detail, hundreds of tracks layered perfectly, killer mix and production, inventive compositions with microtonal writing miles above everyone else. Plus interesting concepts that are well-executed, not mere experimental wankery that goes nowhere.

What the FUCK did I just listen to?

I wouldn't necessarily call it a rut, but maybe more of a refining of the idea and mixing it with other ideas. It's what electroacoustic music and tape shit has been doing after the 70s ended. Sometimes it's a hit many times it's a miss.

oh I know, but I bought my first batch when the exchange rate wasn't as favorable

>Also who gives a shit about the artwork.
I just think this sort of thing had far better artwork and graphic design in the 50s-70s, and after that mostly started looking really cheap and retarded. Wergo in particular...

this thread is literally composed of faggots posting albums they found on RYM. how embarrassing...

I think much of it is that composers went to real time interactive synthesis, and for a long time the results were cheaper and shittier sounding than what they had been getting before.

This...actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. It's why people usually talk more highly of the early mid 80s stuff than after Truax did real time. At least for that time it seems.

>What have you been making?
izetskal.bandcamp.com/

oh didn't realize, i was going off of the discogs page, but even there it seems to make it clear that i'm wrong.
discogs.com/label/399382-Recollection-GRM

what DID you listen to?, google searches return nothing... like that album art for some reason... nice font

It depends on the composer. Truax used a real time DSP thing for almost everything, but he multitracked it extensively. Especially between like 1990 and 2005 composers were using a lot of real time tools that from a modern perspective are sort of simple and shitty. But even then you could still do more careful offline processing with Composers Desktop Project or whatever.

anyway I think stuff like this is really noticeably cheesy sounding, and not in a good way
youtube.com/watch?v=iyxkybJ__5Y

still beats James Ferraro and OPN though

Wrong Nine - Lap. Found it on Bandcamp. Surreal and ear-splittingly annoying. Bizarre.

GRM is an institution for composers and researchers similar to IRCAM or whatever. It's a group of composers, a studio, a certain compositional approach, etc. but not a label.

Fuck this album, my music player decided to sort it by each individual artist

ne3s23p2.bandcamp.com/releases
I did an experimental lowercase/EAI album
may not make anything like this again, it's kind of a wasteland between the first two tracks and the last one

it's spotty as fuck anyway

>what have you been making?
recently ive been dicking around with audacity. not really doing anything super intensive. i turned kesha's tik tok into a 23 minute long ambient noise work by stretching it out, adding a shitload of reverb, and putting a low pass filter on it.
i think its funny but i have a bad sense of humor.

soundcloud.com/nahofficial/tik-tok-but-its-ambient-noise

What are some active open experimental music communities ? I could read and talk about this shit all day.

also post your top 2017 faggots maybe I missed something this year (pls)

Can you share the bandcamp link ? I can't find anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=BXnZbS8LT9U

shout out to Typhonian Highlife

>labeling your music "avant-garde"
Can you please not?

wrongnine.bandcamp.com/album/lap

Here's the attention you crave

thank you
*plants my lips on yours*

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/trans_canada/

Only four ratings. I really wish experimental electronic music that isn't just musique concrete or EAI that is also on the newer end instead of 60s/70s recordings got more love on RYM cuz I am tryna cop any if at all. But the RYM circlejerk usually only focuses on tape music based electronic or free improv or EAI.

the url is fucking simple why was this not indexed by jewgle ffs thanks

dariocapasso.bandcamp.com/album/exper

Very autechrian, yet heavily influenced by musique concrete approaches and acousmatic sound design.

Can glitch like Alva Noto, Ryoiji Ikeda or Fennesz be considered /experimental/? Cause I've been really into glitch lately and I would gladly participate in these threads.

noice

SPV Laboratories has been putting out some crazy stuff over the past few years

>2 albums of 4 hours each of electroacoustic experiments
>one album is 13 hours
>Audacious use of samples including YEAH BOIII and the Sonic R OST
>Half of the tracks are pure ear rape
>incorporates elements of quantum mechanics and advanced mathematics

this guy is a fucking madman

album name?

So before listening to some of the stuff discussed here I'll promote my own :

youtube.com/watch?v=CSe3gNvUcSk&t=5s

My last creation, very ambient. There is some more experimental stuff on my channel so check it out if you feel like it.
>Psychedelic
>Experimental
>I like wall of sound/noise

bump

A dude I know won the audience award at Prix Russolo this year, kinda proud to be a Czech'd desu.
prixrussolo.blogspot.bg/2017/12/2017-prix-russolo-winners-list-press.html

Agog - magnetic phenomena of all kinds
It's sound collage
discord.gg/y9Tm9sE

Is Tim Hecker - Virgins peak experimental?

no tim hecker is a fucking entry-level sellout who presses play at a show and stands on stage on an hour chewing his tongue, then quietly mumbles "thank you" as he briskly walks out

he keeps YouTube streaming himself trying to balance a football on his knee in his living room

sure, but they are entry level as fuck

He's my fave. Music rarely makes me cheese like a tard but this was some other shit

does "experimental" just mean music without melody/time signatures/traditional instruments or what

I liked when he sampled the eyewitness theme song

Loved this

This beauty

this is just garbled shortwave transmissions with some dude playing an atonal synth melody under it for 18 minutes

black dice is kind of neat.
someone recommended this album to me a couple days ago and I kind of love it.