Amerindian naming customs

Why did all the natives in North America keep their original names (like running bull, or whispering creek) but the ones in Latin America all got Spanish names?

Does that prove that the US is more Amerindian influenced than any Latin American country, who are an extension of Spain and Portugal?

In Argentina we are more Amerindian, 90% of our places have Amerindian names and we still use Amerindian influenced names, and most importantly we look and we preserve Amerindians customs and traditions.

but that's not true

I'm sure

>Why did all the natives in North America keep their original names

less church influence, in south america there was a inforced evangelization at the same time of the discovery of the land.

Not all, just most of them.

cuauthemoc, xochitl, malinalli, canek, etc... are still somewhat common names where i live

In Latin America our people were forced to accept christianism and christian names, but now Amerindian names are returning, and so are amerindian folk religions.

Here even non-indigenous people have indigenous names.

Nahuatl names have top tier meanings.
>Cuautémoc
"He descendes like an eagle"
>Xochitl
Flower
>Moteuczoma
"He makes himself angry like a lord"
>Coatlicue
"Her skirt is snakes"
>Chimalpopoca
"Smoking mirror"

I have a wacky sounding amerindian name.

I love my country.

>Smoking mirror

¡¡¡¡¡¡a ver ver si devolveis LOS ESPEJITOS!!!!!!!

DELET

None of those are Native names either

The fuck?

I have a friend named Gonzalo

Is that native?

Cuauhtemoc means descending eagle, i.e. setting sun. According to the Aztecs the warriors who died in combat guarded the sun during his journey through the night.

Motecuhzoma also means Our Lordly Wrath or Our Lord in/of Wrath.

That's Spanish. It's the root of the last name Gonzalez.

This
There's blondes with names like Citlali, Nayeli, Tonatiuh and Natives have Spanish last names because plebs didn't have last names, only the ruling class had them, look at Moctezuma's family, Spain still recognizes their nobility and they still use the amerindian name

What are some indigenous Brazilian names?

Because Spain banned using indigenous names and also made everyone adopt Spanish or Hispanified names (they did the same in the Philippines btw).

Do I look ameridian?

No

Bettynho

Yes

>Purportedly derived from Old High German gundis- "war" combined with salve or salvo, which have various meanings. Other sources derive it from the Visigothic name Gundisalv meaning "battle genius" or "war elf."

González means Son of Gonzalo

looks chicano

what a stupid fucking thread

fuck indians OP

Inuit

> mfw Steve Aoki posts on Sup Forums

kek can't unsee now