Kanye: "I do have a goal in this lifetime to be the greatest artist of all time...

Kanye: "I do have a goal in this lifetime to be the greatest artist of all time, [but] that's very difficult being that I can't dance or sing." - 2010

8 years later, how is he going guys? Will he make it?

He was never even close. Kendrick surpassed him a long time ago.

Kanye is a good artist. But nowhere near as genius, good or important as he thinks

This 100%

There are a lot of better artists than Kanye

He already has. Kanye is Brian Wilson if Brian Wilson hadn't been held back by his group.

He still has a cult of people following him and has had an undeniable impact on his genre both in the early 2000s and the end of that decade. I doubt he'll ever be the greatest artist of all time but people who say he's one of the most important artists of this generation aren't that far off. I doubt he can recover from the ill will he's gotten since TLOP but no matter what he does he'll have devout fans.

>Kendrick surpassed him a long time ago.

Imagine being this cucked. Kendrick is garbage fire.

Like Kanye has ever made anything of lyrical or musical substance.

MBDTF was tedious compared to Section 80 and Good Kid Madd City. And if you compare TPAB with MBDTF... LMAO don't even go there.

Considering he still can't sing or dance, nah. He's fucked.

You're confusing lyricism with technique. Kendrick is pretty good when it comes to the technical art of rapping, but he has god awful lyrics.

Kanye is undeniably one of the most important musicians this century has to offer so far. That said, he's no Shakespeare, Debussy, or Rembrandt; he hasn't changed the way things are done, which, in my book, is what separates a good artist from a great artist.

since when was kanye at the same level as k. lmfao

The man is a clown who happens to be a decent producer. that's all.

What is 808s and the last 10 years of pop rap music? What is The Blueprint and the aughts trend of going back to lots of soul samples in hip hop production? And you could argue Yeezus and Pablo are starting to bleed some influence into things, too, though I’ll grant they’re far less singular influences than those other two I mentioned

>Gen Z earlets
>technically allowed on Sup Forums now
might finally be time to quit

Another thing: Kanye's solo career really changed what hip hop's image should be. He completely eschewed street cred and led to other mainstream rappers that wouldn't have made it.

This. I don't know how people insist of him being a god or some sort of genius

He unironically succeeded
Name 1 (one)
>College Dropout
>No substance

>Kendrick surpassed him a long time ago.

Imagine being this much of a dick sucking hipster

i love debussy :-DDDDDDDDDd

these nigger rappers arent as important as you guys think they are.

Hopefully 2018 will be the year he takes a bullet

>tfw TPAB absolutely shat on MBDTF
Was anyone surprised when Kendrick overtook this tired old fag

But the fuck went through his mind when he made Yeezus

I still prefer Kendricks lyricism to anything Kanye wrote post Yeezus.

Not meaningful in any sort of fresh manner. And Thom Yorke alone destroys his existence. Stop defending a has-been producer who can't even play an instrument.

I'm not, though. I'm not even the biggest hip hop fan, but I know damn well that TPAB surpasses anything Kanye ever did, in terms of lyricism, creativity, complexity, and instrumentation (even if Kendrick can't play an instrument either).

(You)

>faggots who write (you) as an argument
Try telling me why you think differently instead of just blatantly sucking Kanye's dick

>TPAB surpasses anything Kanye ever did, in terms of lyricism, creativity, complexity, and instrumentation (even if Kendrick can't play an instrument either).

>And if you compare TPAB with MBDTF
its MBDTF

>trying to figure how he will stay relevant these next few years

>imagine being this much of a retarded pleb

I'm not tryna argue with you, you said you prefer Kendrics lyricism to anything Kanye wrote post Yeezus, and that's your opinion. It is kind of a silly statement though, Yeezus was one album ago. To say you prefer Kendrick's stuff to Kanye post-Yeezus is to really say you like and prefer Kanye and just didn't like TLOP.

I personally think TLOP is a masterpiece but I'm not gonna fight you over it.

Kanye is a genius
produced college dropout by himself and most of late registration, and has had what collaborators describe as ultimately the defining touch/voice in all subsequent releases.
No other contemporary artist has achieved as much acclaim or occupied the same space in culture for as long Kanye since the mid 2000s.

I genuinely feel bad for people who don't like kanye or can't see the beauty in his work. He's not a great singer, not the best producer, conventionally a pretty lackluster writer, and he's made some garbage music but overall he's undeniably THE musical artist of our time.
And taking into account his aesthetic sensibility since the beginning of his career in conjunction with his blossoming since Dark Fantasy, I wouldn't say he's less talented than say all the old rock musicians of the past people revere.
I see a lot of similar strains in his artistic character to that of someone like Beefheart or Pixar movies. Every part of their art is consistent in it's themes, all the parts work in unison, for better or for worse.
He absolutely thinks like an artist and his success absolutely speaks for it.
He is a genius.

>He's not a great singer
wrong

I think he's good but he's definitely not great technically

>I genuinely feel bad for people who don't like kanye or can't see the beauty in his work
Pretty subjective wouldn't you say? Kanye changed a lot within rap and he did come out as an underdog by making smart moves but also sticking to his ways (until recently). A lot of people don't see him as this godly figure like you do. You said yourself he has flaws, maybe some people don't like that.

He's probably got one more album left in him. He'll fade into irrelevancy after.

kek
go on

I don't really see what point you're trying to make?
I don't think he's godly but he's on par with say Radiohead as far the musical zeitgeist goes.
I don't know much about subjectivity. I think most of the time people listen to music they don't really try to appreciate or understand it, instead they have their notions of how it ought to entertain them or what it ought to mean to them.
Case in point: notice how RYMs top 100 looks pretty identical to every other 100 list? Why are people at large's views so similar to those of major publications who draw the large narratives of our musical history?
I think for example Fantanos greatest fault is this. He doesn't really understand how to look at art from the point of view of an artist. See his trout mask replica review and contrast his Yeezus review to that of Lou Reed, that's a perfect example really. See how lou reed see's Yeezus.

hey mama
spaceships
saint pablo

>Fantanos greatest fault is this. He doesn't really understand how to look at art from the point of view of an artist
This makes no sense and just comes off extremely pretentious. Most people don't listen to music from the perspective of the artist because they just want something to chill and listen to. Music for a large chunk of people are just a collection of sounds that just happens to sound good. We don't need to understand the artists point of view to tell if something is good or not.

I actually agree, there are insane amount of new ppl lately and it's making my patrician ass crazy

explain why tpab is better than mbdtf so we can have a discussion

What the fuck are you talking about? I've been on Sup Forums since 2010, in the advent of the MBDTF hype, and I felt underwhelmed by it. It just felt bland and pseudo-emotional.

Fantano is a pretty amatuer critic is all I'm trying to say. Most people who like simple pop music and the radio tend to like Kanye, hence his success.
People who don't usually say his persona is too prominent a theme, he rips off styles and waters them down (le industrial rap), he isn't a technically good rapper, etc...
If those more high minded folks were a bit less full of their criterias and a bit more sensitive to what he's trying to do I think they'd get it.

I'm not even talking about Kanye. Dark Fanatsy is imo only above average desu I've never been a big fan. In the grand scheme of hh it's a big deal but fron my view it's an overhyped release

The point I was trying to make is that I think there's a lot of newer users on mu that promote and care about distinctly different music than I care about. I feel as thought I've been outgrowing this place overtime and use it mostly as a way to waste time and have laugh or two.

I'm trying to say that most people who listen to music are plebs and don't care about the artist

>le 100 ghostwriters man
>greatest artist of all time

he's known to basically credit anyone in the room,
if you actually did you research it would be apparent how much of his success and music really did come from just himself
I agree and i think they're seriously missing out.

Upvoted

Dude explain what's the deal with his music to me pls. Maybe I don't see what's so genius because I never listen to hip hop

>Kanyestans will try to deny this truth

Rap music always lacked a sort of self-awareness and introspection in favor of bravado, tough personas and some utterly aggressive narratives. It couldn't transcend the lies African Americans lived inside, and accept our inherent flaws while remaining optimistic for the future. Kanye tried to encapsulate the beauty of pride, confidence and godlike divinity, but ultimately failed due to his weak, unimaginative imagery that makes the likes of Tolkien, Rowling, and Lewis cringe. It failed to deliver a true fantasy, opting for moronic clichés and insipid, false ideas. To Pimp a Butterfly eschews its misleading visions, culminating in a visceral insight into the plight of African Americans. Although its lyricism was heavily rooted into the cruelty of reality, it conjured up imagery of a piercing arrow of light into the fragile orbs of the future, reveling in the scarred uncertainties of life. Ironically, TPAB managed to be more of a whimsical fantasy than MBDTF in that regard. It conveyed pride without excess, and showed the listener instead of telling, a fault Kanye always fell into. TPAB was a masterpiece in music, as it finally bridged the ravine between hip hop and art, and onto the rest of the universe.

10/10. The greatest album of the decade.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>psuedo-emotional

what the fuck does that even mean
how?

if you don't listen to hip hop that's one thing but I think that Kanye is probably one of the most accessible hip hop artists because he isn't very conventionally hip hop most of the time

How many of his records have you listened to and which ones?

I think hearing music while on psychedelics makes you kind of see it in a light where the abstracted sounds take up a clear form. Maybe listen to it while youre stoned or something.

The strings and soul sampling on his early records is really pretty, he can be endearing on songs like family business or hey mama. Flashing lights is pretty remarkable in it's production/creativity.

I think TPAB is great too, not a perfect album but objectively extremely important to music

But this whole paragraph was pretty cringey and objectively a bunch recycled statements that have already been made by every critic and I don't see why you needed to write it.

To be completely honest if you think TPAB is the AOTD without dispute you need to listen to more music or expand your taste

I'm willing to debate

Yeezus and MBTWF.
And a few singles of flashing lights is a standout. I really do like him even if i'm not a hip hop fan. But I really can't see where the genius part fits in

Yeah, buddy, you're not going to be a music critic any time soon. Especially if you spend all your time writing this type of garbage on a Sup Forums board. Also, you really need specific examples to back up any of the shit you just wrote, start with lyrics.

I would HIGHLY suggest listening to The College Dropout and late registration
Take note of how the culture within hip hop and America was moving during the times these records were released and how divergent Kanye's thinking was.
Take note that Kanye doesn't know much technically about music or art or anything really, there is a childish freedom in his lyrics and the construction of his albums/musical aesthetic and eventually it became a sort of tragic bravado.
Keep in mind Kanye's big part was in the MUSIC even though the lyrics were good on those projects. He practically did all the work.
Yeezus and MBDTF can absolutely sound shallow and plasticy to a new listener I completely get that ( I also think they're both his best work, just goes to show)
I'd be very interested in what you'd have to say after you'd listened to those two albums!

I would also try getting an appreciation for the postmodern beauty that is sampling
listen to something like Since I left you, Donuts, or Endtroducing and see how Kanye does it in a rap context in the name of his own self expression

TPAB is important to music I agree. It's relateable to the common black guys life or really anyone that's struggling through that kind of life, and I believe Kendricks story telling in that album better than MBDTF. Its not to say Kanye did a bad job, but there's a reason why TPAB is considered the better out of the two. Its more organized and gives a clearer message. I don't consider it AOTD but I do consider it better the better of the two.

I'm not that user you replied to but I wanted to throw in my two cents,

>produced it by himself
See: Mike Dean. He's been executive producer on every Kanye album and doesn't get any credit. Half of the experiments on Yeezus were probably his idea.

>But this whole paragraph was pretty cringey and objectively a bunch recycled statements that have already been made by every critic and I don't see why you needed to write it.
Like Kanye's praise isn't as cliche? Like we haven't heard idiots state that he changed the rap landscape of the 2000s and destroyed the "gangsta" persona millions of times already, just like how people say that Nirvana destroyed Glam Metal and changed Rock forever? Please.

mike dean wasn't at all involved with the College dropout

I seriously seriously doubt that without mike dean kanye wouldnt be putting out quality work. Mike dean does play an integral part in the ornamentation of kanye's music but he's mostly a conduit for kanyes musical direction
do some more research

>mike dean wasn't at all involved with the College dropout
Mike Dean helped mix College Dropout

in fact mike dean didn't start helping production until graduation!

I don't give a shit about Kanye and think Dark Fanatasy is overhyped to a great extent. and was only replying to what you were saying about TPAB. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

source?
nonetheless the point is made

He wasn't me. Read

First post the absolute worst post

Holy shit

Its like you can't use google. Also reread what you said.
>mike dean wasn't at all involved with the College dropout
He was involved in something

I've done plenty of research. I've watched a documentary, listened to podcasts, listened to the majority of Kanye's production discography because I'm a fan of Kanye. I think his first two albums are masterpieces. I just find it weird that some people have worked with Kanye so long and nobody acknowledges what they could have contributed.

google just says he mixed two words
wikipedia control f doesn't mention his name at all

all those words and you didn't really say anything
and I'm sure your white which makes your opinion invalid, of course you would prefer Kendrick

Shit thank you

This was meant to @you
>I don't give a shit about Kanye and think Dark Fanatasy is overhyped to a great extent. and was only replying to what you were saying about TPAB. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

And why was that? Because I said the truth? In that case, my post was the absolute best, as always.

And by the way, my dubs confirmed anyway.

nigga why do you even own a computer if you dont know how to use it

i'm under the impression plenty of people know who mike dean is? I mean he plays the instruments at concerts and what not.
then I don't know where on earth you would get the impression that half of yeezus was mike deans idea lmfao
taking note of the whole package (concerts, clothes, album covers, snl performance, lyrics) i'm pretty sure the whole unified concept was kanyes vision

How many times have you listened to them? Kanye's music just gets better the more I listen to it, check out 808s and Heartbreaks and Late Registration. Then listen to Yeezus a hundred more times.

1: Not revealing my race on an anonymous board.
2: Like you could say anything of substance, ingrate.

>Its not to say Kanye did a bad job, but there's a reason why TPAB is considered the better out of the two.
Considered the better of the two, by who?
>and I believe Kendricks story telling in that album better than MBDTF.
Storytelling isn't the be all end all of hip-hop.

i was on tcd article not mike deans page,
strange how he isnt mentioned in there when a thousand other ppl are hmmm

I'm just gonna assuming you're a troll because no one is this retarded

what makes me retarded?

Have you ever heard of Auteur Theory?

>Considered the better of the two, by who?
I forgot to mention this was a personal opinion
>Storytelling isn't the be all end all of hip-hop.
I mentioned storytelling because it feels like these two albums are consistently trying to get a point across

>contributed to
could mean one song.

>Auteur Theory
i didn't know the term for this until now but fantastic!

Yes but user was saying Dean had 0 involvement which isn't true

I wasn't asking you to reveal your race, not that it would matter if you did because as you noted, this is an anonymous image board.
All I'm saying is that Kendrick's music is made for and addressed to a non-black audience, Kanye's isn't.

The only insight your post truly provided is that you misunderstood MBDTF. You're interpreting the art through the idea of what you thought it should be instead of what it actually is.

MBDTF is a concept album, but I don't know if I would say Kanye is trying to get a point across, his music is very personal. It's more about feelings than relaying a message.

glad I could help.

I really fucking hated MBDTF. Am I really missing something? It's shit, only good song is the first song desu

don't @ me

Kanye's music only gets better the more you listen to it. I used to hate Yeezus, then I began to like it, then I loved it, but now I understand it. Once you really "get" what Kanye is going for in his music it's all just perfect.

Bump. What's the worst "artist" of all time and why is it Kanye?

how are either of these monkey ass clown boys who can't sing, play an instrument or even write an actual song going to be the greatest artist ever?

being an artist requires producing art

You don’t deserve those dub dubs

Yes, I do.

Stop.